Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New 2D SE of Reservoir Dogs out 10/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 02:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does for sure, it's a great video transfer and the best yet of the film, but people thinking about the double-dip have to consider that the extras haven't really changed much from the 10 year AV release and the LE package is nice and all, so this release should be looked at as a video only upgrade for those who already own the 10 year AV release.
The restored dialogue that was missing from the previous edition is the #1 draw of this new set as far as I'm concerned. It's not just a matter of the (undeniable and obvious) video improvement. This is the first time the complete "Reservoir Dogs" soundtrack has accompanied a satisfactory transfer of the film itself.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the DVD release of the year, and I would be saying that even if the second disc wasn't included and if the first disc was released in a plain-jane keepcase. This is a monumental film that has never been given it's due on DVD before.
Old 10-25-06, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
From the review (on what's missing):

Unfortunately, this improvement in picture and sound quality may be the only reason to purchase the new edition, unless you're particularly fond of the set's "gasoline-can" packaging. Almost all of the bonus materials are the same, except for the handful which have been removed: the Sundance Institute Filmmaker's Lab "Scenes of Reservoir Dogs" featurette; the Film Noir Web featurette which includes interviews with Mike Hodges, Robert Polito, John Boorman, Donald Westlake, and Stephen Frears; the Noir Files list of writers, directors and essential noir texts; and the "Small Dogs" featurette about the making of the Reservoir Dogs action figures. Instead, the new set includes a documentary entitled "Playing It Fast & Loose," a "Profiling the Reservoir Dogs" featurette, and an interactive tipping guide.

The only featurette I really care about that wasn't ported over was the Sundance Institute Filmmaker's Lab. I could live without the other two but the Sundance one was pretty essential (IMO).
Old 10-25-06, 02:31 AM
Cool New Member

Has anyone been able to find this in Canada yet?
Old 10-25-06, 08:13 AM

This will definitely get a keepcase release along the way. Kind of like how Basic Instinct and Total Recall had cool, weird packaging. They were eventually released in a regular keepcase.

Saxon
Old 10-25-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
^ While I don't think this transfer should win awards, I do think it's substantially better.
I can imagine the Lions Gate executives sitting around during their meeting about the 15th Anniversary Edition:

"Well, guys, we gotta make the transfer better this time round.

"Too many people were complaining last time. But we can't make it too much better than the previous release. Let's not go crazy here.

"Otherwise, it'll be like admitting that we really screwed up the previous release and a lot of angry folk might sue us or something crazy like that.

"And Benny, don't forget to tip the graphic design artist this time round. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T TIP?"

BTW, thanks for going to the trouble to do those screen comparisons

Last edited by Squirrel God; 10-25-06 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-25-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Looks like the same sharpness, but the color is a completely different beast - I thought the drab colors in the old version were intentional...
No, completely the opposite. The movie was shot on high-contrast film stock under intense lighting conditions (upwards of 100 degrees in the warehouse set) to give the movie a very contrasty style with popping colors. The last DVD transfer was a travesty.
Old 10-25-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That new transfer looks goddamn fantastic! I wasn't thinking of picking this up but that's a huge improvement! (I'm still keeping my Mr. Brown version though.)
Old 10-25-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
"Otherwise, it'll be like admitting that we really screwed up the previous release and a lot of angry folk might sue us or something crazy like that.
Squirrel God, LionsGate had nothing to do with the last release. That was an Artisan release. The really old, non anamorphic version was released by LionsGate. It was an earlier release on the format so they shouldn't be penalized for for putting out a nicer edition with bells and whistles, several years later. One that indeed a significant improvement over Artisans travesty.
Old 10-25-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't notice that IGN review or anyone else here mention that the 30 minutes of cast interviews from the first disc of the 10th anniversary set (which included the cool Chris Penn in the back of the truck thing) isn't included in this new 15th anniversary set. That's a big missing bit of extras.

Either way, I am glad I got this new set because, yes, the packaging is cool, but more importantly, the video IMO is much better (after doing quick comparisons myself, the 10 year one looked like ass) and the audio has been upgraded to a DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete track. I'll be holding on to both sets.
Old 10-25-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If there's not enough new extras for you just wait until the 20th anniversary edition.
Old 10-25-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Costco has this for $11.49.
Mine didn't. No sign of it anywhere
Old 10-25-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
Squirrel God, LionsGate had nothing to do with the last release. That was an Artisan release. The really old, non anamorphic version was released by LionsGate.
Artisan is Lionsgate now. There is no more Artisan.

The non-anamorphic DVD was also released under the Live/Artisan label.
Old 10-25-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My Costco had about 20 of them. I didn't get it yet as I was waiting to see a few reviews.
Old 10-25-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the metal tin is VERY VERY nice!! at first glance, i thought it was a slipcover (a la T2), where the digipak would slide out from underneath the bottom. but upon removing the shrinkwrap, i found that the case actually opens up from the top via the fitted lid. the lid actually lifts and reseats -- very nice touch!!

as for the disc itself, i haven't watched it yet to judge the improvement. but thought i'd just describe the can to those that haven't bought it yet.
Old 10-25-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still own the non-anamorphic Artisan/Live DVD with the cool artwork, I won't give it up. However I may sell off the 10 year AV edition because the 15 year AV release got it right this time, and I always have hated the artwork for it. The nice gas tin LE packaging for the 15 year AV edition probably has just spoiled me already I believe. I agree that this is one of the best DVD's of the year!
Old 10-25-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll bite, as a CH enrollment in 3 months...
Old 10-25-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Under $12 makes it a no-brainer. I have to go to Costco this week anyway and $11.49 is cheap enough that I don't feel the need to hold out for the DDD sale next month. If it gets re-released in a standard keepcase somewhere down the line I'll probably rebuy it and keep the gas can as a collectible.
Old 10-25-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoda
Has anyone been able to find this in Canada yet?
As a Canadian I fell obligated to answer this question because I know I rarely have it answered myself...There doesn't seem to be a release for this in Canada. I went to a ton of places yesterday, four of which I had check their computers and they didn't have a release date for it. My wife ended up driving down and picking it up for me in Bellingham, so I'm happy...but this is kinda ridiculous....
Old 10-25-06, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by freshticles
As a Canadian I fell obligated to answer this question because I know I rarely have it answered myself...There doesn't seem to be a release for this in Canada. I went to a ton of places yesterday, four of which I had check their computers and they didn't have a release date for it. My wife ended up driving down and picking it up for me in Bellingham, so I'm happy...but this is kinda ridiculous....
Thank god for Bellingham eh?
Old 10-25-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People in Canada should try to order it online, like ebay, wait a few days and not waste tons of gas driving to the United States just to buy it. I agree it's ridiculous that Lionsgate did not serve up a Canadian release, but driving to the USA if you don't really have to is worse IMO. But if you Canadian fans have to have right away, than happy hunting and gas mileage.
Old 10-26-06, 02:20 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks freshticles, I hadn't seen it either.
Old 10-26-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll probably wait for a sub-$10 price on this. I've only watched my 10th Ann. disc once (never even looked at the extras) and didn't think one way or another about the original transfer. I do like the new packaging, and it'll annoy me knowing there's an apparently better transfer out there even though I probably won't notice.
Old 10-26-06, 10:32 AM

ctyankee, I'm very sorry you're having a bad day. I doubt anyone gives a "rat's fart" (as you put it) about your disdain for my RZ certificates, but that didn't stop you from posting that either. There's a war in Iraq and Afghanistan, American soldiers are dying every day, the bird flu, mad cow, West Nile and flesh eating disease is on the loose, the Dallas Cowboys on are the brink of disaster, Chad Johnson will shave his mohawk if the Falcons beat the Bengals on Sunday, and despite a 2-1 lead, the Cards may not win the World Series. Really, there are many more important things for you to be concerned with than a couple of senior members posting about how they got DVDs cheaper with their RZ certificates. There is no Costco in Oklahoma, but do I rail on everyone who gets their DVDs cheaper because they bought them at Costco? Nope, I have more important things with which to occupy my time. So I hope today is a better day for you.
Old 10-26-06, 03:11 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I wondered why I didn't see it in Best Buy today, here in Southern Ontario. Fuck Lion's Gate for not releasing it here - that's bullshit, because they would've had a good market for it. It's a pretty popular film here, as well. I'm not going to drive to the States to get it, but I may order it online.

I actually used to review for Lion's Gate. They sent me several free movies, so I guess I shouldn't curse them too loudly...
Old 10-26-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I wondered why I didn't see it in Best Buy today, here in Southern Ontario. Fuck Lion's Gate for not releasing it here - that's bullshit, because they would've had a good market for it.
I feel your frustration Wick, I go to Best Buy to buy DVD's from time to time and just reading that it seems odd that they don't carry it there. Oh well.....I hope you can score one fast somehow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.