Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

So, where's the CON AIR thread???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, where's the CON AIR thread???

What the hell, everyone? We finally get a new and improved release of this excellent film, and no one's talking about it???

I don't care if it's considered low-brow, or "dumb." This is a great flick! It's what movies are supposed to be... enjoyable! Great characters. Great lines. Action. Humor. I just LOVE it! Malkovich is great as the villain. He makes this movie, even more so than Cage.

Sure, it's thin on extras to the point of being anorexic because, well, there basically are no extras. But we've got an improved transfer and more footage, including - from watching about half of it so far - some alternate scenes. Additions seem to be big and small throughout.

Finally I can retire my VHS and watch it in proper OAR/widescreen.

Now, if we can only get Face Off, I'll be really happy.
Old 05-17-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It got kinda mixed in with the whole Crimson Tide/Enemy of the State unrated thread... Watched Con Air twice last night. Such a fun film.
Old 05-17-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...Face/Off is already available on DVD in it's proper OAR.
Old 05-17-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what a guilty pleasure this movie is. sure the plot is thin and the cheese factor high, but once in a while gotta indulge in a fun brainless actioner. gonna try to watch this one this weekend and spot the extra scenes. can't believe they didn't port over the trailers.
Old 05-17-06, 01:57 PM

I think a listing of the extra stuff included would be pretty long, and may be hard to spot unless a side-by-side comparison is done. I noticed what seemed like even just once sentence additions, plus alternate takes on existing scenes, besides the larger additions.

I knew Face Off was out, but I've been waiting for a newer "better" release, whether it's like what happened here with Con Air, or better, as in with some extras. They could include some stuff about how face transplants are now actually happening. For some reason I always associate Face Off and Con Air with each other... two big action movies, with Nicholas Cage, maybe they came out around the same time?
Old 05-17-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Con Air when it first hit theaters, I never considered it to be low-brow and dumb, I thought the film delivered to the maximum and was exactly what it was purely designed to be a high octane action romp with convicts on flight and Cage as a hayseed superhero type. It's a great movie that is fun and full of action. Exactly as planned.
Old 05-17-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BriGuy1971
For some reason I always associate Face Off and Con Air with each other... two big action movies, with Nicholas Cage, maybe they came out around the same time?
That's funny, because I always associate Con Air with The Rock, for pretty much the same reasons. To the point to where I sometimes think I already have Con Air on DVD until I realize I only have The Rock.
Old 05-17-06, 03:50 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Face Off and Broken Arrow are the other ones we need too
Old 05-17-06, 04:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i think it's considered too low-brow, or "dumb." to warrant an actual thread.
Old 05-17-06, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
...Face/Off is already available on DVD in it's proper OAR.
BUT it is NOT anamorphic!
Old 05-17-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
re: So, where's the CON AIR thread???

I think it's right HERE
Old 05-17-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Face/Off Region 1 is anamorphic, it just happens to be a really grainy, dirty transfer, imo.
Old 05-17-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smurr05
BUT it is NOT anamorphic!
From DVDTimes:
"A comparatively early anamorphic transfer from Paramount, this is generally very pleasing."

From DVDLaunch:
"Presented in anamorphic widescreen, the transfer is very crisp and clear"

From DVDBreakdown:
"The anamorphic widescreen image, framed at 2.35:1, is razor-sharp with excellent contrast"

From DVDMovieCentral:
"I’m so happy that the studio...released Face/Off in an anamorphic widescreen presentation."

From The Digital Bits:
"The anamorphic widescreen picture, although dark, is generally very good"

Thanks for playing.
Old 05-17-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Con Air and Face/Off came out like less than a month apart in 97
Old 05-18-06, 07:19 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But Paramount started doing anamorphic transfers before Buena Vista, so what's your point?
Old 05-18-06, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Face/Off Region 1 is anamorphic, it just happens to be a really grainy, dirty transfer, imo.
And that's what I'm saying. It's an early release, and I'm hoping/waiting for a newer release, like we got with Con Air.

Why is it I get the feeling many people just won't admit to liking Con Air? Come on, there's no shame in it.

Some of this flick's great quotes:

[to Cyrus, while holding a gun]
Pinball: You didn't mean that "two-bit negro crackhead" shit, did you?
Cyrus Grissom: Give me that gun.
[takes the gun]
Cyrus Grissom: Hell yes, I meant it.

William 'Billy Bedlam' Bedford: Have you lost your mind?
Cyrus Grissom: According to my last psych evaluation, yes.

Cyrus Grissom: Johnny, can you fly?
Johnny 23: No.
Cyrus Grissom: You keep that in mind, cause if your dick jumps out of your pants, you jump off this plane!

Cyrus Grissom: Guard Falzon?
Guard Falzon: What is it, Cyrus?
Cyrus Grissom: Oh, Stewardess? Stewardess? What's the in-flight movie today?
Guard Falzon: Well, I think you'll like it, Cyrus. It's called "I'll Never Make Love to a Woman on the Beach Again", and it's preceded by the award-winning short, "No More Steak For Me, Ever".
[Guard Falzon walks away chuckling]
Cyrus Grissom: [mumbles] Funny fucker, aren't ya?

Guard Falzon: It smells like someone shit in your mouth.
Pinball: He told me he loved me.

AND... there's a special place for the wisdom of Garland Greene:

Garland Greene: What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?

Garland Greene: He's a fountain of misplaced rage. Name your cliche; Mother held him too much or not enough, last picked at kickball, late night sneaky uncle, whatever. Now he's so angry that moments of levity actually cause him pain; give him headaches. Happiness, for that gentleman, hurts.

["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background]
Garland Greene: Define irony: a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Last edited by BriGuy1971; 05-18-06 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-18-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ha, that's some great dialog in that movie. this movie is truly an in-depth study of the wit and wisdom of pent up convicts.
Old 05-18-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn.. $8.99 at Frys tomorrow. Thats a deal.
Old 05-19-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Picked up Enemy Of The State and Con Air at Fry's One-Day sale today, and must admit I'm disappointed that Con Air is bare bones. It doesn't even have a trailer for itself, only sneak peeks of other titles (Including Enemy Of The State). The irony is that Enemy Of The State has a trailer for Con Air!

Oh well, for $8.99 I guess it wasn't too bad.
Old 05-19-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing
It doesn't even have a trailer for itself, only sneak peeks of other titles (Including Enemy Of The State). The irony is that Enemy Of The State has a trailer for Con Air!
Not ironic, just unfortunate.

= J
Old 05-19-06, 04:15 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by TheKing
The irony is that Enemy Of The State has a video trailer for Con Air!
Fixed.
Old 05-20-06, 12:20 AM

Couple of things I'll chime in about...

1. Is anyone bothered that they still have the names under the wrong people on the coverart?

2. Is anyone as crazy as me and going to keep the original release just for the trailers (and since I probably couldn't get jack for it now anyway)?
Old 05-20-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
Couple of things I'll chime in about...

1. Is anyone bothered that they still have the names under the wrong people on the coverart?
I never understood why they do that on covers... How hard could it be to put the names in the right order to the pictures?
Old 05-20-06, 05:08 AM

I think it's because the art department decides the order in which the heads are on the cover/poster but the actors' agents decide which order the names are in.
Old 05-20-06, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
2. Is anyone as crazy as me and going to keep the original release just for the trailers (and since I probably couldn't get jack for it now anyway)?
*raises hand*

Also keeping my original ENEMY OF THE STATE DVD because it features a different trailer than what's found on the new one, and two different behind-the-scenes featurettes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.