Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dr. Strangelove: SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-04, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr. Strangelove: SE

DVDFile has a review up here. The most interesting part: it is widescreen anamorphic. Apparently they cropped the 1.37:1 parts.

I love the movie.. but is this version acceptable?
Old 10-27-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is lots of discussion about this here at HTF:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ht=strangelove

I believe that producer and film conservator Robert Harris weighs in with his opion on this somewhere in the thread.

Also see here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=215203

Last edited by obscurelabel; 10-27-04 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
A 1.66:1 transfer preserves the movie's theatrical aspect ratio.

Kubrick instructed that previous home video editions be unmatted to expose extra picture info at the top and bottom of the frame.
Old 10-28-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lotta debate over this issue (or most any Kubrick film for that matter). While I respect Stanley's choices for home viewing, having the Kubrick catalog updated to include anamorphic widescreen presentations (at theatrical ratios) is quite welcomed IMHO. The fact that WB presented some of the films in the Kubrick box letterboxed but with no enhancement still leaves (I suspect) the majority of us

I had no intention of buying Strangelove again, until I heard about the 1.66:1 anamorphic transfer. Now, it's a mandatory purchase... We'll all know soon enough what to make of it.
Old 10-29-04, 06:39 PM

I just got the 2 disc SE from Best Buy in Duluth, MN. Has anyone else seen it in stores early?
Old 10-29-04, 09:23 PM

so moon are all the features from the 2001 release on the new one?

IOW, should i sell my 2001 DVD
Old 10-29-04, 09:43 PM

I haven't had time to watch the film or features yet, but ooking at the review linked above (the 2nd home theater forum link), it appears everything is there. The movie trailer, not mentioned in the review, is under the previews section along with some other movie previews.

I sold the old DVD as soon as I read the press release. I'd say you should be OK with getting rid of the old one.

By the way, it with a foil slipcover replicating the DVD cover. It also has a booklet which has the same art as the old DVD cover. I shouldn't have grabbed the first copy I saw, because my slipcase has a few indents in it. I was just so happy to see it there today that I didn't grab a copy from the back like usual.
Old 10-29-04, 10:22 PM

So what's BB selling it for?
Old 10-29-04, 10:27 PM

$24.99
Old 11-03-04, 07:18 PM

$19.99 at costco fyi . . .
Old 11-03-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting, I think if Kubrick knew one day we would have TVs that are as wide as movie screens he would approve of widescreen transfers.
Old 11-03-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Interesting, I think if Kubrick knew one day we would have TVs that are as wide as movie screens he would approve of widescreen transfers.
There's a lot of debate about this, but the aspect ratio of TV sets had little to do with Kubrick's preferred aspect ratio. His background was in still photography and the 4:3 aspect ratio was closer to his work with a still camera.
Old 11-04-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
He only died 5 years ago.
Old 11-04-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
$19.99 at costco fyi . . .
BINGO!
Old 11-04-04, 01:35 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Anyone think it's weird that Mr. Fancy Pants Film Expert Robert Harris (who I honestly do respect, by and large) keeps referring (in the aforementioned link) to this being a completely different print source than what was used on the earlier DVD releases of Dr. STRANGELOVE, but it is littered with every bit of the scratches, dirt and other detritus found on them? Between Criterion's immaculate SPARTACUS and Warner Bros. recent remasters of most of the remainder of Kubrick's works, this print, new or old, still disappoints. It may be better in terms of detail and contrast than previous editions, but it's a damn sight from what it really could (should) be...
Old 11-06-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what special features do you lose off the previous disc
Old 11-06-04, 01:34 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Cameron (as near as I can tell), only the trailers to FAIL-SAFE and ANATOMY OF A MURDER (which are swapped for trailers to BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, FAHRENHEIT 9/11, THE CHINA SYNDROME, ON THE WATERFRONT and FROM HERE TO ETERNITY on the new disc)...
Old 11-06-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good to hear...i was worried it would lose the split screen and the kubrick doc
Old 11-06-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Filmmaker
Anyone think it's weird that Robert Harris keeps referring to this being a completely different print source than what was used on the earlier DVD releases of Dr. STRANGELOVE, but it is littered with every bit of the scratches, dirt and other detritus found on them?
Yes, I do, but I haven't yet compared the difference between the two.
Originally posted by Filmmaker
[T]his print, new or old, still disappoints.
Is this based on what you've seen or what you've read?
Old 11-06-04, 11:33 PM
Banned

What I've seen--I own them both.
Old 11-07-04, 05:18 PM

We have compared the recent US 40th Anniversary Edition of Kubrick's Dr Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb against the UK Special Edition that has been around for almost 3 years. You can find the full, detailed comparison review here.

Snippet:
Dr. Strangelove is a masterpiece; a satirical comedy classic that deserves a place in every DVD collection. But is it worth upgrading to the new ‘40th Anniversary Edition’ if you have the previous ‘Collector‘s Edition‘? I’d say yes. The new video transfer is a treat and the remixed audio is subtly effective. The new extras are informative, but focus more on certain things (the nuclear arms race; Peter Sellers’ rise to fame) than the film at hand.

Thankfully, and unusually, all the material from the previous DVD has been included here, including a very good 46-minute documentary, so the new extras and these original features combine to make a pleasing package. That said, is there now any reason to hold on to the older release? Kubrick fans may want to keep that DVD for it’s multi-aspect ratio presentation (it’s part of my Kubrick box set anyway!), but for those who haven’t yet bought a copy of the film I’d recommend that they head straight for the new edition.
Old 11-07-04, 05:19 PM

I Netflixed it, it's great on my 30" widescreen.