Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

CC trading in HD DVD Players for Blu Ray Players

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

http://gizmodo.com/363974/circuit-ci...-says-employee

If purchased within the past 90 days apparently. Anyone heard about this or tried it out?
Old 03-05-08, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Isn't this their typical return period?
Old 03-05-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Isn't this their typical return period?
No, it's normally 30 days.

Target is the only store I know of that offers a 90 return policy.
Old 03-05-08, 01:23 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
no, it's normally 30 days.
Old 03-05-08, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is such BS. I mean those who purchased in the "last 90 days" would have paid bargain basement prices (ie. $100 or less for the A3) and likely already knew of the impending demise of HD DVD. Now, if they took that to an extreme and allowed the early adopters who purchased a player a year or more ago, then it would make sense because they can turn their player in for $400 or so in credit and put that towards a Blu-Ray player.

Sure, I'm going to turn back the $85 I paid for the A3 a few weeks ago and put it towards a $500 Blu-Ray player. NOT.

Don't get me wrong. I will probably get a Blu-Ray player or PS3 sometime in the future, but not until prices drop considerably. Unfortunately, I just can't afford it right now and I'll stick with my HD DVD collection and upconversion until then.
Old 03-05-08, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by sbelli
This is such BS. I mean those who purchased in the "last 90 days" would have paid bargain basement prices (ie. $100 or less for the A3) and likely already knew of the impending demise of HD DVD. Now, if they took that to an extreme and allowed the early adopters who purchased a player a year or more ago, then it would make sense because they can turn their player in for $400 or so in credit and put that towards a Blu-Ray player.

Sure, I'm going to turn back the $85 I paid for the A3 a few weeks ago and put it towards a $500 Blu-Ray player. NOT.

Don't get me wrong. I will probably get a Blu-Ray player or PS3 sometime in the future, but not until prices drop considerably. Unfortunately, I just can't afford it right now and I'll stick with my HD DVD collection and upconversion until then.
Well said. Nice of them to do this, though.
Old 03-05-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mean those who purchased in the "last 90 days" would have paid bargain basement prices (ie. $100 or less for the A3) and likely already knew of the impending demise of HD DVD.
I seriously doubt that people who bought players after the "impending demise" of HD DVD was known are the target demographic of this offer. Going back 90 days takes us squarely into the month of December. I'm sure most of the people who bought HD DVD players in December did so under the assumption that the format would still be around for a while. This offer gives them (or at least the ones who bought from Circuit City) a way to resolve that problem, if they want to opt in.
Old 03-05-08, 01:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
90 days covers December at least.
Old 03-05-08, 02:16 PM

I guess what I'm saying is that this may look like a gesture of goodwill towards HD DVD players, but hardly compensates those who shelled out the big bucks earlier on. CC isn't stupid. They're taking back players that were sold cheap and, from what I can tell, only allowing people to use the credit to purchase Blu-Ray players, the cheapest of which is $399 right now. It may look good, but they're making plenty off of this "deal" -- probably still getting compensated from Toshiba for the returned players as well.
Old 03-05-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Will they also allow direct trade-in of HD DVD titles for their Blu-ray Disc counterpart (mainly Warner titles)?
Old 03-05-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess what I'm saying is that this may look like a gesture of goodwill towards HD DVD players, but hardly compensates those who shelled out the big bucks earlier on. CC isn't stupid. They're taking back players that were sold cheap and, from what I can tell, only allowing people to use the credit to purchase Blu-Ray players, the cheapest of which is $399 right now. It may look good, but they're making plenty off of this "deal" -- probably still getting compensated from Toshiba for the returned players as well.
There is no reason Circuit City (or any other retailer) should even consider "compensating" people who bought into HD DVD earlier. That's what is known as being an early adopter. I paid $500 for my A1 the day it was released, and I don't expect anyone to compensate me for it. That was the risk I was willing to take at that time.

But, when Toshiba started subsidizing player prices in December, many people bought in, only to find out a few weeks later that their newly purchased player was at a dead end in terms of new content. Those people should be offered a way to gracefully back out of that purchase, if they so choose.

In fact, if I recall correctly, that was one of the big complaints leveled at both Warner and Toshiba regarding the timing of their announcements -- the people who bought into HD DVD in December were being left out in the cold. So now Circuit City is being criticized for doing what people here have demanded that retailers do. Go figure.
Old 03-05-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's amazing that people are bitching that CC is offering this.
Old 03-05-08, 02:39 PM

^^ I'm not bitching that CC is doing this. I'm just saying it's not really like they're doing it out of the goodness of their own hearts. They're just trying to make more money. And that's business so all the power to them.

And for those who bought a HD DVD player at Christmas, they probably did it because they finally had dropped to the price point that people could afford them. So now they can suddenly afford $400 for a Blu-Ray? That's the point. They don't get their money back. Those who purchased a HD DVD player and STILL can't afford to spend the extra money on a BR player are still "left out in the cold" by this deal.

It's amazing that people don't realize that this isn't going to help very many people.

Last edited by sbelli; 03-05-08 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ I'm not bitching that CC is doing this. I'm just saying it's not really like they're doing it out of the goodness of their own hearts. They're just trying to make more money. And that's business so all the power to them.

And for those who bought a HD DVD player at Christmas, they probably did it because they finally had dropped to the price point that people could afford them. So now they can suddenly afford $400 for a Blu-Ray? That's the point. They don't get their money back. They HAVE to spend it on a Blu-Ray player. Those who purchased a HD DVD player and STILL can't afford to spend the extra money on a BR player are still "left out in the cold" by this deal.

It's amazing that people don't realize that this isn't going to help very many people.
Ok... so if it's so profitable why aren't all retailers participating? If Toshiba is truly giving full credit for open players up to 90 days old, wouldn't you think Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and any other stores selling BD players would be all over this?

You're bitching that people HAVE to spend this credit on a Blu-Ray player? Everyone else just has to sit there and eat the "loss", whether they want to upgrade to a BD player or not. I'm not saying that picking up a cheap HD-DVD player is a loss, just that those that do want to exchange them have no choice other than CC.

Until the other retailers come out with extended return policies and give full credit towards new BD players, I'll give CC a big here, and I can't stand the damn store.
Old 03-05-08, 03:06 PM

I wonder if I can PM this at BestBuy?

JK
Old 03-05-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It's a fine gesture, but largely an empty gesture it seems. Without making it well known, few will know of it. And the ones that may benefit the most, i.e. those that bought in December, have a ticking clock where the ninety (90) days are fast expiring. Even now, it's only covering purchases within twenty (20) days of Christmas.
Old 03-05-08, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
There is no reason Circuit City (or any other retailer) should even consider "compensating" people who bought into HD DVD earlier. That's what is known as being an early adopter. I paid $500 for my A1 the day it was released, and I don't expect anyone to compensate me for it. That was the risk I was willing to take at that time.

But, when Toshiba started subsidizing player prices in December, many people bought in, only to find out a few weeks later that their newly purchased player was at a dead end in terms of new content. Those people should be offered a way to gracefully back out of that purchase, if they so choose.

In fact, if I recall correctly, that was one of the big complaints leveled at both Warner and Toshiba regarding the timing of their announcements -- the people who bought into HD DVD in December were being left out in the cold. So now Circuit City is being criticized for doing what people here have demanded that retailers do. Go figure.
Well said. You bring up some excellent points here.
Old 03-05-08, 06:56 PM

It's a smart and clever bit of retail strategy. It helps absolve them of the "you sold me a player that was obsolete the next day" onus. And it helps highlight and draw attention to the end of the format war. And yes, it costs them essentially nothing.

Some bright kid in the marketing department at CC HQ will get a gold star for this one.
Old 03-05-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like it is true:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...r_Blu-ray/1545

Shhh! Circuit City Trading HD DVD Players for Blu-ray
Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 07:30 PM ET
Tags: Circuit City, High-Def Retailing, Industry Trends (all tags)

Circuit City is allowing customers to trade in their HD DVD players and apply the original sales price toward the purchase of new Blu-ray players.

As first reported by Gizmodo earlier today (and confirmed at a Washington-area Circuit City this afternoon by High-Def Digest), the unpublicized offer is giving in-the-know customers a second chance at making the jump to high-def.

The offer only applies to players sold in the last 90 days, but that should give those who received HD DVD players for the holidays enough time to trade in their gifts for the winning next generation format. You must return the player in the original box with all of its accessories in order to qualify. Considering the price differences between the two player formats, there will likely be additional costs in making the exchange.

Note that this offer only applies to players and not to HD DVD discs.
Old 03-05-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts
"Early adopters do take some risk, it's regrettable...." -former Circuit City CEO Dick Sharp on those who bought the first DVD players, after attempting to replace it with the pay-per-use DIVX format

So what's going to happen to all the returned players? I've already got one for my dead format collection, but would still like to know. I wonder what they'd do if I brought in one of my CED Videodisc players?
Old 03-05-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with what RoboDad says. This is not BS. There are soooo many people who probably bought HD-DVD players who don't read forums or even knew that HD-DVD was dead until it made so national news stories and/or signage started popping up at Best Buy, CC, etc. -- those people who got their player during Christmas and what-not can take advantage. It's just really nice of CC to step up to the plate and offer that.
Old 03-05-08, 08:29 PM
Defunct Account

Hmmm, so if someone bought a second A3 a couple of weeks ago and mailed in for the 5 free discs, could they get the price they paid applied to a new Blu-ray Player? I wonder if they'll let you apply the price to a PS3?
Old 03-05-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find this to be a great deal for people who purchased players during the higher pricing - but purchasing players a couple weeks ago and bring them back is pretty pointless.

I would like to know if they'll take back software...

I've got a couple titles that I'd love to trade in for the their BD counterparts.
Old 03-05-08, 11:42 PM

Well if you bought an A35 back within that time you would be using most of the $ towards a new Blu, as that model was still pretty expensive.
Old 03-06-08, 01:13 AM

Does this mean more open box players are about to be available?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.