Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

CC trading in HD DVD Players for Blu Ray Players

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

CC trading in HD DVD Players for Blu Ray Players

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
It's a fine gesture, but largely an empty gesture it seems.

CC is the king of empty gestures in retail. They never have what they advertise, they pull stock until sales are over, if you get lucky enough to find something that is on sale or advertised, it won't ring up correctly and you'll have to argue with at least 2 employees to get it right.
Old 03-06-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I'm aware, CC is not obligated to do this. That is, it's actually pretty cool that they are doing it. They're allowing you to exchange an item, albeit for another that will only cost you more money, but doing so beyond their normal exchange period. CC is giving us a chance to get out of a format that no longer has a future.

I agree with a previous poster...I really don't even like shopping at CC as their deals and selections can't compare to BB.

I don't see how one can justify bickering about this. Simply don't take part in it. Heck, I wish BB would step up and make a similar offer.
Old 03-07-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clappj
No, it's normally 30 days.

Target is the only store I know of that offers a 90 return policy.
Costco offers a "return whenever" policy on things like DVD players. If you bought an HD DVD player there, you can return it for a full refund no questions asked.
Old 03-08-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only towards a combo player, but still.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11000

Future Shop Offers $100 Credit for HD DVD Player Returns

Marcus Yam (Blog) - March 7, 2008 2:12 PM

Future Shop will give you $100 for your HD DVD player, but only if you immediately buy combo hardware

Hot on the heels of Circuit City’s plan to refund all of its customers for their recent HD DVD purchases, Canadian big box retailer Future Shop has announced its own trade-in deal for those looking to unload their hardware.

Between March 7 and April 3, customers who own HD DVD players are invited to return their hardware to Future Shop location and receive $100 off either an LG or Samsung Blu-ray / HD DVD Combo player. The retailer will even accept players not purchased at Future Shop as part of the offer, though it is unclear if it applies to the Xbox 360 add-on drive, which retails now for $50.

"Future Shop recently announced the change to showcasing Blu-ray and liquidating HD DVD players," said Eric Stockner, director of merchandising, home theater. "We recognize that some customers will jump into Blu-ray but others who invested in HD DVD, and started to build a library of movies, are interested in a transition and combo solution to the new Blu-ray home theater and entertainment experience."

As noted by the offer, and unlike Circuit City’s policy, Future Shop will only apply the $100 credit towards a combo player – so those eying a standalone Blu-ray Disc or PlayStation 3 are out of luck.

"The Blu-ray/ HD-DVD Combo player is a win for customers as it allows them the opportunity to continue to view their HD DVDs while entering into the Blu-ray market," adds Stockner.

Right now, FutureShop.ca lists two players applicable for the HD DVD trade-in offer: the LG Super Multi Blue BH200 and the Samsung HD BD-UP5000. Both players are on sale for $499.99, so a $100 credit would bring it $50 below the price of the cheapest Blu-ray Disc standalone, the Samsung BD-P1400 at $449.99. Of course, $399.99 will also buy a 40GB PlayStation 3 – arguably the smartest buy in Blu-ray Disc today.

While Circuit City will be returning all of its HD DVD refunds to the vendor, Future Shop said that it would be donating all HD DVD hardware to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada for use in their after-school and evening programs.

There’s no word yet of if Future Shop’s parent company, Best Buy, plans to follow suit at its retail locations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------