Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Old 04-19-21, 08:17 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 65,249
Received 996 Likes on 742 Posts
Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Old 04-19-21, 08:32 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 15,742
Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

I voted for him in 1984, that was my first presidential election.
Old 04-19-21, 09:40 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 45,407
Received 205 Likes on 173 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I voted for him in 1984, that was my first presidential election.
Same on both counts
Old 04-19-21, 09:59 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 7,273
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

My mom talked about voting for him and believing he would win... She was a nave 37.
Old 04-19-21, 10:01 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 35,793
Received 657 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

I didn't know he was still alive; I thought he died a long time ago.
Old 04-19-21, 10:11 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,640
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Ahhhh, I remember 1984 well.

It was the one time my family took a road trip up to San Francisco and back (from San Diego County).

We got to San Francisco, and we were walking to meet my stepfather's cousin at the Bank of America building for lunch (she worked there, and they had a pretty nice cafeteria). Well, halfway there out of the blue a bunch of black sedans start pulling over and guys in black suits start blocking pedestrian traffic. We were wondering what the hell was going on, and I noticed that these guys in the black suits had guns.

Then it hit me. 1984. Election. Democratic Convention - right there in San Francisco. Those were Secret Service agents.

We had run into former Vice President Mondale's motorcade. He got out of one of the vehicles, and walked up the steps to his hotel and waved at the crowd before going in. Geraldine Ferraro was with him.

It was surreal.

That's my personal Walter Mondale story. I was 16, but it feels like it was only 15 or so years ago. It's a vivid memory.

So any time the subject of Walter Mondale comes up that's what I think of.
Old 04-19-21, 10:12 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 16,427
Received 184 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Same her until I googled him last year

This probably cost him the presidency though it is refreshing to see a politician from the opposite party laughing at the other guys joke which probably would not have happened today.

Old 04-19-21, 10:42 PM
  #8  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,610
Received 275 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I didn't know he was still alive; I thought he died a long time ago.
His political career did die a long time ago.
Old 04-20-21, 03:30 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
William Fuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 3,765
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Ahhhh, I remember 1984 well.

It was the one time my family took a road trip up to San Francisco and back (from San Diego County).

We got to San Francisco, and we were walking to meet my stepfather's cousin at the Bank of America building for lunch (she worked there, and they had a pretty nice cafeteria). Well, halfway there out of the blue a bunch of black sedans start pulling over and guys in black suits start blocking pedestrian traffic. We were wondering what the hell was going on, and I noticed that these guys in the black suits had guns.

Then it hit me. 1984. Election. Democratic Convention - right there in San Francisco. Those were Secret Service agents.

We had run into former Vice President Mondale's motorcade. He got out of one of the vehicles, and walked up the steps to his hotel and waved at the crowd before going in. Geraldine Ferraro was with him.

It was surreal.

That's my personal Walter Mondale story. I was 16, but it feels like it was only 15 or so years ago. It's a vivid memory.

So any time the subject of Walter Mondale comes up that's what I think of.
Ha ha classic Mondale
Old 04-20-21, 06:48 AM
  #10  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 34,621
Received 150 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I voted for him in 1984, that was my first presidential election.
Me too! We're 80s election buddies!
Old 04-20-21, 08:53 AM
  #11  
Psi
DVD Talk Legend
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,439
Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

His goodbye message.

Old 04-20-21, 09:11 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
covenant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,080
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I voted for him in 1984, that was my first presidential election.
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Same on both counts
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Me too! We're 80s election buddies!
Also my first Presidential election..voted for Reagan though. 😛
Old 04-20-21, 10:23 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,136
Received 285 Likes on 227 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

I was 6 months too young to vote in the 1984 general, but I have to say I would have voted for Reagan too.

I changed a lot (and a lot of things happened in Reagan's second term, like Iran-Contra) before I voted in my first presidential election, 1988.
Old 04-20-21, 02:48 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 26,046
Received 401 Likes on 272 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

I voted for him in 1984, because I saw Reagan have some kind of brain episode during the televised debate. Back during the Cold War, the President was expected to be rational at all times.
Old 04-21-21, 12:10 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,047
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93

Too young to vote in '84, but my junior high political science class took a field trip to his rally downtown where we sat in the first row. Hate to say it, but as a kid, it was boring af. Don't remember much about it except the hall we were in is still vivid in my memory. That's my personal story for Mondale. As a Minnesotan, though, I always hear him talked about with high regard.
Old 04-21-21, 08:23 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 16,427
Received 184 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Former Vice President Walter Mondale dead at 93




Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.