Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Nashville Explosion

Old 12-28-20, 01:33 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: Nashville Explosion

If his motive was personal revenge, and not social or political idealism, it wasn't terrorism. We just don't know yet.
Old 12-28-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
If his motive was personal revenge, and not social or political idealism, it wasn't terrorism. We just don't know yet.
I completely agree.

However, I will note that if his name was Anwar ibn Wahiri, we (society as a whole, not DVDTalk) wouldn't be having these "how many terrorists can dance on the head of a pin" discussions.
Old 12-28-20, 02:03 PM
Enormous Genitals

Absolutely. No question there is a different standard applied when a white male does this shit.
Old 12-28-20, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I completely agree.

However, I will note that if his name was Anwar ibn Wahiri, we (society as a whole, not DVDTalk) wouldn't be having these "how many terrorists can dance on the head of a pin" discussions.
Yeah, yelling "Allahu Akbar" before committing the attack tends to make it lean towards terrorism unfortunately.
Old 12-28-20, 02:06 PM

Received 966 Likes on 567 Posts

Were people terrified? Yes.

Was there anyway that what he did wouldn't cause terror? No.

Terrorist.
Old 12-28-20, 02:11 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

L lin wood is away down the conspiracy rabbit hole on Twitter and all the q folks are following along.
Old 12-28-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 316 Posts

I find it funny that this is a debate. Setting off a car bomb on a city street is an act of terrorism. Why he did it is completely irrelevant.
Old 12-28-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

He unleashed a weapon of mass destruction and destroyed communications systems, businesses and residences. I'd say he's a terrorist.
Old 12-28-20, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I find it funny that this is a debate. Setting off a car bomb on a city street is an act of terrorism. Why he did it is completely irrelevant.
If you mean the “why” is irrelevant to labeling him a terrorist, ok.

By overall, I think the why is important. Assuming we want to prevent “these” in the future, we need to address the why,

The Las Vegas shooter likely did what he did to commit suicide. Regardless of what we label him or this dude, we need to find study and investigate.

And yes, I think that also means further regulations of legally purchased items.

I also don’t think a flat out assumption we can make that the warning message from the van was totally in the hopes of NOT creating terror. Maybe he really didn’t want to harm others. But hearing that in a YouTube video was absolutely terrifying. And haunting. And surreal.

Again, more evidence is needed, and while I agree indications seem to suggest he wanted to minimize physical harm to others (the day, the time, the warning), doing this downtown on a popular street seems to suggest he wanted to “send a message”.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-28-20 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
If you mean the “why” is irrelevant to labeling him a terrorist, ok.

By overall, I think the why is important. Assuming we want to prevent “these” in the future, we need to address the why,

The Las Vegas shooter likely did what he did to commit suicide. Regardless of what we label him or this dude, we need to find study and investigate.

And yes, I think that also means further regulations of legally purchased items.
For sure. I meant only in reference to it being terrorism or not. Figuring out why after the fact is very important.
Old 12-28-20, 02:25 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by story View Post
Were people terrified? Yes.

Was there anyway that what he did wouldn't cause terror? No.

Terrorist.
I was speaking as to whether it fits the federal criminal definition of terrorism, not the colloquial definition. Yes, it caused terror. I don't have a problem with someone calling it terrorism. But it may not actually fit that criminal definition - not that it matters since the suicide bomber won't face charges.
Old 12-28-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Yeah, yelling "Allahu Akbar" before committing the attack tends to make it lean towards terrorism unfortunately.
Plenty of Christians say "God is great" while facing death, even suicide, without anyone thinking they are terrorists. So do you care to expand on that point, or do you prefer to let your statement's bigotry speak for itself?
Old 12-28-20, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saying he must be a terrorist because he caused terror is like saying ISIS can't be anti-semitic because Arabs are semites. Words have meaning beyond their etymology, and a terrorist is someone who uses violent means to causes terror in service of an ideological, political, or religious cause. The guys who flew planes into the World Trade Center to further their anti-American agenda are terrorists. The guy who flew his plane into the IRS building in Texas because he was mad at the world and wanted to die was not a terrorist. We don't know Warner's motivation yet, and therefore we can't tell yet.
Old 12-28-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saying he must be a terrorist because he caused terror is like saying ISIS can't be anti-semitic because Arabs are semites. Words have meaning beyond their etymology, and a terrorist is someone who uses violent means to causes terror in service of an ideological, political, or religious cause. The guys who flew planes into the World Trade Center to further their anti-American agenda are terrorists. The guy who flew his plane into the IRS building in Texas because he was mad at the world and wanted to die was not a terrorist. We don't know Warner's motivation yet, and therefore we can't tell yet.
I thought he was one of those 5G controls our minds people and was attacking ATT? Or was that just a guess before more info came out?
Old 12-28-20, 02:33 PM
Enormous Genitals

That's just a guess as far as I know.
Old 12-28-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plenty of Christians say "God is great" while facing death, even suicide, without anyone thinking they are terrorists. So do you care to expand on that point, or do you prefer to let your statement's bigotry speak for itself?
Interesting, so you are saying when someone yells that phrase before blowing themselves up or a mass shooting may not be a terrorist? I guess there were people that shared your opinion that didn't want to call the Ft Hood shooter a terrorist, just an occurrence of workplace violence.
Old 12-28-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

He told a neighbor the world would never forget him. https://www.newschannel5.com/news/bo...g-to-forget-me
Old 12-28-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 635 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Terrorist. Plain and simple. If he was just intent on self-destruction, he could have ran the car in his garage with the doors closed. Or if he felt the need to go out big, he could have detonated the RV in a remote area. No, he wanted to take out property, and a lot of it. Just because he had a mild conscience in not wanting to kill people, he still wanted to create destruction for others. Terrorist. Full stop.
Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
He unleashed a weapon of mass destruction and destroyed communications systems, businesses and residences. I'd say he's a terrorist.
Yes, yes and yes. If he wanted to kill himself he could have eaten a bullet in his house. He wanted to cause destruction and mayhem and be remembered for his act. He's a fucking terrorist.
Old 12-28-20, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Received 536 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
He told a neighbor the world would never forget him. https://www.newschannel5.com/news/bo...g-to-forget-me
And this was the only way it would happen. No wife, no kids, lived with mommy and daddy most of his life, had a nebbishy job and no friends. What an incredible asshole. He may not be forgotten, but I'm betting he won't be missed either.
Old 12-28-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,064 Posts

^ Nah, he’ll be forgotten soon enough.
Old 12-28-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dork View Post
You may be surprised to learn that HispanicNewsNetwork may have relaxed their journalistic standards on this one.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nashvil...-fbi-confirms/
Sort of reminds me of Eddie Money...
Old 12-28-20, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Hmm...

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
The guy posted on HispanicNewsNetwork doesn't look anywhere close to 63. Late 40s maybe.
Fucker’s taunting us, playing mind games. This is some Zodiac shit, people.
Old 12-28-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
And this was the only way it would happen. No wife, no kids, lived with mommy and daddy most of his life, had a nebbishy job and no friends. What an incredible asshole. He may not be forgotten, but I'm betting he won't be missed either.
So ... he was a DVDTalk member?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Who?

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
They do share a vague resemblance of being not-alive at the moment.

Re: Terrorist. I say I don’t think so. You say being bad at your job doesn’t disqualify you. After all we do still call Orange Julius Caesar “President.” Can I also call him terrorist?
Old 12-28-20, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Sadly I feel you are right. He will be forgotten when the next school shooting occurs.

Im no expert, but there seems to be a pattern of “one-up-manship”. Which is scary and horrifying.
Old 12-28-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Im no expert, but there seems to be a pattern of “one-up-manship”. Which is scary and horrifying.
When the media glorifies bombers and mass shooters, there tends to be copy cats for years to come. Dozens of shootings were inspired by Columbine

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.