Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Do you think education should be shut down because of the coronavirus? (NYC closing school indefinitely)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Do you think education should be shut down because of the coronavirus?
Yes.
68.00%
No.
16.00%
Other (please specify...)
12.00%
What are you high?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think education should be shut down because of the coronavirus? (NYC closing school indefinitely)

Old 03-15-20, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Do you think education should be shut down because of the coronavirus? (NYC closing school indefinite

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Oldboy is going to have time on his hands now, so there will be threads. That's my forecast.
Any word on how rapidly they will spread and the expected mortality rate?
Old 03-15-20, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Do you think education should be shut down because of the coronavirus? (NYC closing school indefinite

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
We would need to be clear about how we measure mortality. For example, if a thread gets merged, did it die? And are we counting all of Oldboy's threads, or just the ones in religion and politics?
Old 03-15-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Regardless of any of that, we’ll be dealing with the after effects of all these threads for years, maybe decades to come.
Old 03-15-20, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
We would need to be clear about how we measure mortality. For example, if a thread gets merged, did it die? And are we counting all of Oldboy's threads, or just the ones in religion and politics?
We need to keep posters isolated to their threads. Once you start merging threads we have content cross-spreading and then all hell breaks loose. The servers do not have the capacity to handle it all at once. Keep them separated and spread out. Or something...

Do we need to start testing for something?
Old 03-16-20, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 159 Posts

We should be testing for CODVD-19 ...
Old 03-16-20, 06:36 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
We need to keep posters isolated to their threads. Once you start merging threads we have content cross-spreading and then all hell breaks loose. The servers do not have the capacity to handle it all at once. Keep them separated and spread out. Or something...

Do we need to start testing for something?
This thread has tested negative...for comedy.
Old 03-16-20, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I'm not surprised that you would consider it to be ridiculous. There will be many jr high and high school students who will be out and about their communities if they aren't in school. They're not going to stay put in the house. Younger kids will end up at friends' houses as parents pool together supervision so that those who still have jobs can go to work. Other parents who can, will take their kids to work. Still other parents would leave their young children at home unsupervised. They would be that desperate. On second thought, yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.
The difference is that the government can't stop irresponsible parents from letting their kids run around town but they can stop them from a guaranteed gathering among hundreds of people by closing schools. There's nothing we can do to completely stop the virus from spreading but we can do our best to limit it by doing things like this.
Old 03-16-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

If you are a teacher and you are concerned about how to maintain classwork, I saw that sites like zoom are removing limitations on their service for free accounts if your email address is from a school district and that district submits a request. Obviously you're not going to be able to do everything online, and you won't solve the problem of kids not having devices to access it, but zoom at least has a limit of 100 people at a time, you can use a phone, tablet, or computer (you need a webcam and mic), and you don't need an account to join, only the id.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial but we tried it this weekend and I was pretty impressed.
Old 03-16-20, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

My wife works for a bank in their communications department and they already use Zoom for meeting services. She says it's pretty impressive.
Old 03-16-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, kids are filthy little animals and this will probably do the most for flattening the curve.

We need to make sure there is a system in place to help the kids who were only able to get food at school so they can continue to eat.

And then, after this has passed, we find those responsible for the situation of kids only having food because they go to school, and string those people up by their thumbs.
Old 03-16-20, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Yes, kids are filthy little animals and this will probably do the most for flattening the curve.

We need to make sure there is a system in place to help the kids who were only able to get food at school so they can continue to eat.

And then, after this has passed, we find those responsible for the situation of kids only having food because they go to school, and string those people up by their thumbs.
Not to mention that kids are the least impacted by the virus and it always seems like smaller kids are sick with something anyway, so they make the perfect little asymptomatic or mildly-symptomatic infection agents. Also, kids enrolled in school probably come in close contact with substantially more people on a daily basis than adults on average.

"Sooo cute, come give your grandma a hug!"
Old 03-16-20, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post

We have a bunch of local restaurants offering free meals for kids for carryout. I mean, it's not like the Trump administration had a plan.
Old 03-16-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My boy's school closed for the next two weeks. 2nd grade and up have remote classes that are instructor-led. My son is in kindergarten, so he was sent home with a bunch of paperwork and things to do, as well as some simple things that can be done on the computer. The school system is offering grab-and-go meals for any child, but we won't be participating. Several restaurants are doing the same thing, although many of them require an entree order to get the free kid's meal. I have no clue about child care for the parents that have to work.

My wife is already stressed out having the two kids home all day, with nowhere but parks to go to, on top of being his teacher. She'll probably be day-drinking by the end of these two weeks, and who knows if it will be extended longer?
Old 03-16-20, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy my son's school is closed. Kids are gross and he is in a special school with many disabled kids so hygiene protocols are not always followed and it is a PreK-12 Campus so he is exposed to 4 year olds through 18 year olds all day long. I cannot count the number of times I have gotten sick because he brought home some bug over the years.

As someone with a compromised immune system I support the closing wholeheartedly but I do have much compassion for those that rely on the school system for food and also acting as daycare so they can work. Both his mother and I are lucky enough to be able to work from home and his school has started to send online assignments through their school portal so he wont fall behind much if at all. He might even do better since he hates the social aspect of school and refuses to do any assignments that make him the center of attention so this may actually increase his GPA.
Old 03-16-20, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Illinois is doing meal distributions for school kids. Not 100% certain what it will look like yet, other than it is a week’s worth at a time. May find out Wednesday (first distribution).
Old 03-16-20, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
My boy's school closed for the next two weeks. 2nd grade and up have remote classes that are instructor-led. My son is in kindergarten, so he was sent home with a bunch of paperwork and things to do, as well as some simple things that can be done on the computer. The school system is offering grab-and-go meals for any child, but we won't be participating. Several restaurants are doing the same thing, although many of them require an entree order to get the free kid's meal. I have no clue about child care for the parents that have to work.

My wife is already stressed out having the two kids home all day, with nowhere but parks to go to, on top of being his teacher. She'll probably be day-drinking by the end of these two weeks, and who knows if it will be extended longer?
I heard from one of the experts on TV today and they don't recommend visiting parks.
Old 03-16-20, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just take some alcohol wipes with you.
Old 03-16-20, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Parks? Why the hell not? Are plants and trees virus hosts? Just don't get down in the grass and rub your face in the area where Jim Bob just spat his chewin' tabacca.
Old 03-16-20, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Parks? Why the hell not? Are plants and trees virus hosts? Just don't get down in the grass and rub your face in the area where Jim Bob just spat his chewin' tabacca.
You'd be surprised how often Statesians do exactly that.
Old 03-16-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it more about the playground equipment.
Old 03-17-20, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I think it more about the playground equipment.
Gotcha, makes sense, but perhaps they should make playgrounds off limits, not advise against visiting parks entirely.