Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: repeal or not
repeal
52.08%
keep
47.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Is it time to repeal the 2nd amendment?

Old 08-05-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it time to repeal the 2nd amendment?

simple yes or no question
Old 08-05-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Is it time to repeal the 2nd amendment?

No. If we didn't have a political system that auctioned off influence to the highest bidder then we would be able to have common sense boundaries on the 2nd Amendment.
Old 08-05-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As much as I’m for gun control, I really don’t care either way.

There are plenty of things that can be done with 2A in place. And states have shown they can do them and stand up to SC review.

On the other hand, you don’t need 2A to own guns. There are lots of countries with robust individual gun ownership that don’t have a 2A type “right”.

And I just don’t see it happening (getting rid of it). So I’d rather spend the time and effort on common sense gun control.
Old 08-05-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It'll never happen, if the liberals attempted a gun grab it would lead to mass civil unrest.
Old 08-05-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, we just need sensible gun reform legislation. I think Draven's suggestions in the mass shooting thread were a very reasonable start.

Spoiler:
But the "sensible" and "reasonable" ships have long since sailed. Extreme partisanship and political tribalism will prevent it from ever happening.
Old 08-05-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
It'll never happen, if the liberals attempted a gun grab it would lead to mass civil unrest.
If the law is changed, it won't be liberals doing the gun grab, it'll be law enforcenent.
Old 08-05-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It will never happen but if it did the unrest would be relatively small. Only around 25% of the population actually own a gun and you would be a fool to think non gun owners would join gun owners in any meaningful numbers in protesting the repeal.

Old 08-05-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a full repeal, but some heavy modifications, definitely.
Old 08-05-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No liberal that Iím aware of has proposed a ďgun grabĒ. And you donít need 2A for individuals to own guns.
Old 08-05-19, 09:20 PM
Cool New Member

To be frank, I think we've already been at that point for a while. States have very conflicting laws about the possession of anything that could be considered a weapon. For instance, there are legal definitions like "intent to go armed," which effectively makes it illegal to take a knife, firearm or any other object classifiable as a weapon from your home and carry it around in public. By leaving your home with the intention of going armed, you're technically breaking the law.

Then there are laws that might require you to flee from an attacker if it is at all possible to do so. That's not every state, but a good number of states do bring charges against victims who use physical force to repel attackers when it's determined that there was a clear means of escape available to them.

If you really get into the law books, you'll find there are a lot of crazy laws that have yet to be repealed, and new laws often have to make special exceptions to those laws. So being able to own and carry a firearm is often such an exception, and that exception may itself be hindered by contradictions in self-defense laws or other pointless archaisms that have yet to be struck down.
Old 08-05-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know why conservatives have a lack of reading comprehension when "gun control" is mentioned. Gun control does NOT mean gun ban. Of course, they'll justify it by saying that gun control will lead to gun bans, which is untrue.
Old 08-05-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted repeal but I would be okay with modifying it so that people can only own certain types of guns. If there'd been an option for "modify" that's what I would have voted.

Also, I believe it was the great Jim Jeffries who said guns don't kill people, people don't kill people ... BULLETS kill people. So let people have all the guns they want, but jack up the price of ammunition right through the fuckin' roof.
Old 08-05-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, of course not. The Founding Fathers had a lot more wisdom and sense than the current straw men in positions of power of our current political system. The "right to bear arms" is almost symbolic. The meaning of the 2nd Ammendment transcends the "literal" meaning most liberals and stupid politicians attribute to "Oh, it just means people can have a field day in owning guns!". It is more about protecting the individual's safety in mind and spirit. This zeigeist is more in mind than the ACTUAL stockpiling of GUNS, GUNS, GUNS. 2nd Ammd. is symbolic of freedom and should never be repealed. It smacks of a police state, and not a democracy, to 100% eliminate the right to bear arms.

And, I'm actually pretty much against gun ownership, as in the stupid people who think "Oh! I've got to get a gun! To protect me and my family!" WITHOUT learning how to properly use it -- as in each member of the family taking professional lessons on markmanship and safe use, is a BAD idea. Probably 5% of people who actually own arms can use them properly and safely in an emergency.

And, if the liberals succeed in eliminating the 2nd Ammend., it'll be a worse situation overall. For criminals always will be able to get ALL the firearms they want, regardless of the legality of such. That's argument enough for NOT repealing it right there, among the more important symbolic reaons I've already stated above.
Old 08-05-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you think it should be repealed...proclaim it loudly and proudly...don't use euphemisms... tell your congressman (and women) to repeal the 2nd amendment. No more sugar coating!
Old 08-05-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Did they teach you guys in high school what repealing an amendment entails? Never gonna happen.
Old 08-05-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I voted repeal but I would be okay with modifying it so that people can only own certain types of guns. If there'd been an option for "modify" that's what I would have voted.

Also, I believe it was the great Jim Jeffries who said guns don't kill people, people don't kill people ... BULLETS kill people. So let people have all the guns they want, but jack up the price of ammunition right through the fuckin' roof.
If Jim Jeffries said that then he ripped off Chris Rock.

Old 08-05-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
No, of course not. The Founding Fathers had a lot more wisdom and sense than the current straw men in positions of power of our current political system. The "right to bear arms" is almost symbolic. The meaning of the 2nd Ammendment transcends the "literal" meaning most liberals and stupid politicians attribute to "Oh, it just means people can have a field day in owning guns!". It is more about protecting the individual's safety in mind and spirit. This zeigeist is more in mind than the ACTUAL stockpiling of GUNS, GUNS, GUNS. 2nd Ammd. is symbolic of freedom and should never be repealed. It smacks of a police state, and not a democracy, to 100% eliminate the right to bear arms.

And, I'm actually pretty much against gun ownership, as in the stupid people who think "Oh! I've got to get a gun! To protect me and my family!" WITHOUT learning how to properly use it -- as in each member of the family taking professional lessons on markmanship and safe use, is a BAD idea. Probably 5% of people who actually own arms can use them properly and safely in an emergency.

And, if the liberals succeed in eliminating the 2nd Ammend., it'll be a worse situation overall. For criminals always will be able to get ALL the firearms they want, regardless of the legality of such. That's argument enough for NOT repealing it right there, among the more important symbolic reaons I've already stated above.
You are correct. For decades, and decades no one thought of 2A as an individual right. It wasn’t until Heller (2008), that the SC said it meant an individual (non-military) right.

So the answer is to just do a time heist and go back before.....
Old 08-05-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
If Jim Jeffries said that then he ripped off Chris Rock.

https://youtu.be/VZrFVtmRXrw
Old 08-05-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Did they teach you guys in high school what repealing an amendment entails? Never gonna happen.
Doesnít mean it still isnít time to do it. Obviously ďas many guns as you wantĒ was not the intent but here we are.
Old 08-05-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I don't know why conservatives have a lack of reading comprehension when "gun control" is mentioned. Gun control does NOT mean gun ban. Of course, they'll justify it by saying that gun control will lead to gun bans, which is untrue.
Not only that, but the idea that we need to respect President Trump, the police and the military (because of FREEDOM) to the point that athletes kneeling is unpatriotic but these same people need to have their guns to protect themselves from the government, the police and the military. So which is it then? Is the government, police and military good or bad? Cause if they are good and we need to respect them, then there's no need for a militia, thus there's no need for guns.
Old 08-05-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The original intent of the Second Amendment was because the founding fathers did not want a standing military; instead, the idea was that if the country was ever under attack by a foreign power like England, that they would, in "Game of Thrones" terms, "call up their banners," and everyone would grab their muskets and flintlocks and go fight off the invading army. Or put down a slave rebellion, which was also a concern at the time.

Note what you see when the Second and Third Amendments are read together...

Amendment IIA well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
The Third Amendment is a relic of the past and has little to no relevance to modern times. In the past centuries, in England and the American colonies, people were expected to billet soldiers in their homes, farms, and businesses. There was, at the time, a fear of concentrating troops in barracks and, as such, they were to be living among the communities they were defending. But you can see the idea of calling up armed civilians to act as an army or national guard in times of such need in both Amendments.
Old 08-06-19, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Doesn’t mean it still isn’t time to do it. Obviously “as many guns as you want” was not the intent but here we are.
Did you learn anything in high school?

This thread should be closed. It’s like having a poll to suspend the laws of gravity.

If you think this will happen in your lifetime or your children’s lifetime you really should refugee elsewhere. It’s just not gonna happen. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.
Old 08-06-19, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I’m in favor of gun control, but stop acting crazy.
Old 08-06-19, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No. Never.
Old 08-06-19, 07:44 AM

Did you learn anything in high school?
This is verging on a personal attack, so tone it down.
This thread should be closed. Itís like having a poll to suspend the laws of gravity.

If you think this will happen in your lifetime or your childrenís lifetime you really should refugee elsewhere. Itís just not gonna happen. Donít set yourself up for disappointment.
Why should the thread be closed? No one is suggesting it will happen, people are merely discussing whether it should happen. You seem to be taking this a bit personally.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.