Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The One and Only Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Obsession Thread

Old 02-11-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The One and Only Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Obsession Thread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
AOC wouldn't be receiving the attention if she wasn't so obnoxious and asking for it. She's a mini-Trump in many ways, and he's probably her secret role model.

Old 02-11-19, 02:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

"asking for it"

Old 02-11-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
"asking for it"

Old 02-11-19, 02:25 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
The same corporate media that spent a year obfuscating and ignoring things like a presidential candidate's mob ties, decades of fraudulent business practices, and unsavory alliances, but instead primarily acted as an extension of his PR firm to promote his brand of right wing populism as a legitimate alternative, is now giving inordinate amounts of airtime to a freshman MOC, with very little biographical distinction to merit it, as she promotes her brand of left wing populism.

Yeah. No reason to not take all that at face value.

Let's just go back to talking about how stupid those Trump voters are.
She’s the new left wing boogeyman for Fox. Their audience is mainly comprised of senior citizens, so a young ethnic leftist woman is basically their worst nightmare. This leads to clicks and views, which is what Fox is after. Their coverage of her is all negative. You’re honestly barely even making sense in your attempts to link everything.
Old 02-11-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
AOC wouldn't be receiving the attention if she wasn't so obnoxious and asking for it. She's a mini-Trump in many ways, and he's probably her secret role model.
She's receiving the attention because she's a non-white woman with a historic win. She checks all of Trump's boxes (woman, not white, would like to grab her pussy) so that's why Fox is all over her. They need a new demon to divert attention away from the shitstorm that is the Trump Presidency.
Old 02-11-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
She's receiving the attention because she's a non-white woman with a historic win. She checks all of Trump's boxes (woman, not white, would like to grab her pussy) so that's why Fox is all over her. They need a new demon to divert attention away from the shitstorm that is the Trump Presidency.
She also dances and her nickname is Sandy.
She's just plain evil I tell you.
Old 02-11-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
She also dances and her nickname is Sandy.
She's just plain evil I tell you.
Scandalous!

I was wondering what a Jerome Corsi of the left would sound like. Now I know... Russia, Russia, Russia.
Old 02-11-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

She’s the new left wing boogeyman for Fox. Their audience is mainly comprised of senior citizens, so a young ethnic leftist woman is basically their worst nightmare. This leads to clicks and views, which is what Fox is after. Their coverage of her is all negative. You’re honestly barely even making sense in your attempts to link everything.
Exactamundo!
Old 02-11-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Scandalous!

I was wondering what a Jerome Corsi of the left would sound like. Now I know... Russia, Russia, Russia.
Sorry, when did I point the finger at Russia?

Is Russia the only entity that would like to steer the various narratives that AOC is pushing, to an end that is ultimately non hazardous to their interests, and essentially vent that steam?
Old 02-11-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The GOP's Public Enemy #1

Brought to you by The Congressional Leadership Fund, a super PAC exclusively dedicated to winning a Republican Majority in the House of Representatives.

Old 02-11-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No point in responding to the troll.
He makes stupid arguments and hides when he's proven wrong - and then comes back with a post even more moronic than the last. Hell, he could be President!
Old 02-11-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Apologies if I'm too thick to comprehend, but was this in reference to my posts?

If I'm confused about that, it's because I can't find anything in this thread that proves anything- right or wrong. And yes, I'm including my posts in that too.
Old 02-11-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ You are not the troll.
Old 02-11-19, 09:46 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I'll repost this here, because you know, misogyny.

https://twitter.com/LeeLeeLeeLee/sta...41172085633024

Shame on Scott Dunn!

A person's intelligence has nothing to do with their gender.

Fox News is very obsessed with AOC. Here's one example:

That's a legitimate news story.

I'm actually fully on board with things like a return to extreme marginal tax rates on $10 milliion + earners. Just not trusting AOC yet.
Last thing the left should be enabling is another cult of personality built around one of it's figures.
It won't be that long before the rot of corruption that got a hold of, and (all but) destroyed the Republican party, shifts over to the D's.

I propose a real life experiment by which we adopt such a tax, but it automatically expires after five years. If it's a good idea, we can renew it for some more years. If it's a bad idea, we won't have to worry about repealing it.

The same corporate media that spent a year obfuscating and ignoring things like a presidential candidate's mob ties, decades of fraudulent business practices, and unsavory alliances, but instead primarily acted as an extension of his PR firm to promote his brand of right wing populism as a legitimate alternative, is now giving inordinate amounts of airtime to a freshman MOC, with very little biographical distinction to merit it, as she promotes her brand of left wing populism.

Yeah. No reason to not take all that at face value.

Let's just go back to talking about how stupid those Trump voters are.

The fact that a person that almost no one had ever heard of beat a long term incumbent in the primary is the reason the media gave her so much attention.
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

You are mistaken.

If she were a conservative Republican, Fox News would be praising her instead of criticizing her.

Last edited by grundle; 02-11-19 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 10:14 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
No point in responding to the troll.
He makes stupid arguments and hides when he's proven wrong - and then comes back with a post even more moronic than the last. Hell, he could be President!

This is what I do when I am proven wrong:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-p...hread-109.html

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
The other members of Congress will be sworn in.

But Ocasio-Cortez is going to be inaugurated.

Skip to 0:25

in·au·gu·rate
/iˈnôɡ(y)əˌrāt/

Google:
begin or introduce (a system, policy, or period).
admit (someone) formally to public office.
mark the beginning or first public use of (an organization or project).

MW
: to induct into an office with suitable ceremonies
2a : to dedicate ceremoniously : observe formally the beginning of inaugurate a new school
b : to bring about the beginning of

Dictionary.com
to make a formal beginning of; initiate; commence; begin:
to induct into office with formal ceremonies; install.
to introduce into public use by some formal ceremony:

Macmillan
1. formal - to start or introduce something new and important
2. to open a new building, or to start a new organization, with an official ceremony
to celebrate the fact that someone is starting an important new job with an official ceremony

While it is typically used in reference to the President-elect, it appears that the term itself is generic enough that she used it correctly.

In other words; you're reaching.
I wasn't just "reaching." I was wrong.

Thanks for correcting me.

I was wrong.

Ocasio-Cortez was right.
Old 02-11-19, 10:34 PM
Political Exile

Ocasio-Cortez recently put a document on her official Congressional website which said that she wanted to get rid of airplanes, stop cows from farting, and give “economic security” to everyone who was “unwilling to work.” After a huge number of people criticized her for this, she took the document down. Fortunately, the internet archive has a copy of the page at this link, and NPR has a copy of it at this link.

Despite this proof that Ocasio-Cortez holds those three positions, her advisor, Cornell law professor Robert Hockett, said that Ocasio-Cortex never supported those things, and that it's really just a rumor that was started by "Republicans." Skip to 1:06 in this video:

Meanwhile, Huffington Post and Media Matters have chosen to ignore the forensic evidence from NPR and the internet archive.

Before this current thread was started, I said the following in a different thread:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=13498175&postcount=1488

Hockett is a Professor of Law at Cornell Law School. So I’m 100% certain that he is familiar with the laws against defamation. I hope that he will apologize to the “Republicans” that he falsely accused of lying about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s positions on the above issues.

Hockett must have read my post, because he later admitted that he was wrong.

Meanwhile, they now have a second, bogus explanation. Saikat Chakrabarti, Ocasio-Cortez’s chief of staff, is blaming this on “typos.”

And I'm not buying that one either.

The metadata from the document proves that it was Chakrabarti who created the document in the first place.

So first they blamed this on “Republicans.”

And now they’re blaming it on “typos.”

I wonder if they will have a third bogus explanation for it.

Perhaps they will blame it on hackers from Freedonia.

Anyway, the Washington Post has now joined NPR and the internet archive in saying that those things really did appear on Ocasio-Cortez's official Congressional website: Spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ic-candidates/

Ocasio-Cortez retracts erroneous information about Green New Deal backed by 2020 Democratic candidates

February 11, 2019

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is pushing for a debate on the substance of her Green New Deal resolution after her staff distributed an erroneous fact sheet regarding the proposal, leading to confusion over a plan supported by many of the Democratic Party’s leading candidates for president.

Ocasio-Cortez’s staff posted online and sent to reporters a list of “frequently asked questions” about the Green New Deal. Those pages included language and policies not included in the resolution itself such as providing economics security to those “unwilling to work” and ruling out nuclear power as part of the solution to the climate crisis.

More than 70 House Democrats and 12 Senate Democrats have backed Ocasio-Cortez in unveiling the Green New Deal resolution calling for a massive jobs program to stave off climate change, aiming for an enormous investment in “clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy sources” over the next 10 years.

Declared presidential candidates Sens. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) have pledged their support for the resolution text of the Green New Deal, as has expected candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). None of the lawmakers or candidates signed off on the FAQ, which was prepared by Ocasio-Cortez’s staff to explain the separate Green New Deal resolution but was accidentally released prematurely with unfinished language.

“An early draft of a FAQ that was clearly unfinished and that doesn’t represent the GND resolution got published to the website by mistake,” Saikat Chakrabarti, Ocasio-Cortez’s chief of staff, wrote on Twitter on Saturday, two days after the document’s release. “Mistakes happen when doing time launches like this coordinating multiple groups and collaborators.”

The muddled messaging around the Green New Deal marks an initial stumble for a lawmaker whose profile has risen steadily since her primary win over the incumbent Democrat, Joseph Crowley, a pillar of the party establishment who at the time of his loss was the chairman of the House Democratic Caucus.

The incident underscores both the power and peril of the first-term lawmaker’s power within the party, which is bolstered by her tremendous reach on social media and her name recognition.

Ocasio-Cortez has captivated and energized the party’s left, pushing Democrats — including those who have previously been more centrist — to align with her proposals and co-sponsor the legislation. The broad participation of presidential candidates suggests her policy clout has helped bring previously marginal policy ideas squarely into the party’s mainstream, though certainly other figures within the party and changing public attitudes play a role, as well.

That power also magnifies her missteps, with ramifications for the party as a whole. A typical first-term lawmaker’s first major proposal would be unlikely to get broad notice, and it would be unlikely to win over major presidential contenders unless it was closely supervised by party leadership who had worked for years on effectively presenting such resolutions.

Retracting the erroneous document has not stopped opponents of the party’s candidates from trying the contenders to proposals they did not sign off on, leaving them to repeatedly explain themselves and attempt to clarify what they do and do not support.

One House Democrat, speaking on the condition of anonymity to speak about internal discussions, said he and other liberal members have privately vented frustration over the publication of the FAQ page.

More than a dozen media outlets, particularly in conservative outlets, reported on policies in the FAQ page that the co-signers of the Green New Deal resolution have not agreed to support.

CNBC reported that the Green New Deal would offer “economic security” for those “unwilling to work” in its headline, while columnists at Bloomberg News and The Washington Post have criticized the plan based on policies outlined in the FAQ sheet.

Climate activists have tried rallying Democrats to the concept of a Green New Deal to decarbonize the U.S. economy while also broadly expanding the government’s role in improving the economy and bolstering the social safety net. The plan calls for a 10-year “national mobilization” requiring new electrical and power grids, retrofitting “all existing buildings” in the United States and high-speed rail and public transit.

The Green New Deal resolution calls for the federal government to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions with a “fair and just transition” for all communities and workers, including by creating millions of high-wage jobs, health care and housing for all, a sustainable environment and enormous infrastructure investments. The proposal would make sweeping changes and expand the government’s reach into the economy, and it almost certainly would require tax increases or large-scale deficit spending.

The proposal could not pass the current Congress, where Republicans control the Senate, and would be vetoed by President Trump, but it’s an effort to galvanize the left and move the Democratic Party toward a commitment to stronger, broader and more direct action to address climate change.

The FAQ sheet went further than the resolution in some places, making choices that the resolution avoids. The FAQ sheet, for instance, says the Green New Deal would “not include creating new nuclear plants,” while the resolution does not address that question.

At a news conference unveiling the plan, Sen. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), the resolution’s Senate co-sponsor, told E & E News: “The resolution is silent on any individual technology which can move us toward a solution of this problem. . . . That is not part of the resolution.”

The FAQ page also stated the United States should guarantee “economic security for all who are unable or unwilling to work.” The official resolution calls on economic security for all Americans.

In the fall, the top scientific body studying climate change found that the world had to take “unprecedented” steps to reduce carbon levels, with the globe on pace to warm by 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) over preindustrial levels. Scientists called the report a “deafening, piercing smoke alarm going off in the kitchen.”

Stronger natural disasters, including wildfires, have devastated western U.S. communities, while hurricanes have leveled Atlantic Coast cities and the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico. Internationally, the melting of Himalayan glaciers because of climate changes threatens hundreds of millions of people in Asia, as coral reefs that support some of the most productive U.S. fisheries are at risk of being destroyed.

The Trump administration has not proposed a comprehensive agenda for addressing climate change. It has dismantled some initiatives supported by the past administration to check the growth of greenhouse gases, and Trump has repeatedly questioned the scientific consensus that global warming is occurring, driven by human activity and poses a threat to human health and well-being.

Trump tweeted criticism of the Green New Deal over the weekend, while also erroneously suggesting snow in February in Minnesota during the presidential candidacy announcement of Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) diminished the case for combating climate change.

On Twitter, Ocasio-Cortez said people should stop paying attention to the FAQ document, which was later taken down from the congresswoman’s website. “Point is, the real one is our submitted resolution,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted, with a link to the resolution itself. She added: “When I talk about the GND, this is what I’m referring to — nothing else.”

All but one Democratic senator running for president endorsed the Green New Deal resolution, though none had seen the FAQ that circulated on launch day. A few were asked about the FAQ this weekend.

After one stop in Iowa, asked what he might say to a farmer who was seeing reports that the resolution would stop him from raising cows or using gasoline, Booker said the “narrative” was not something he would get tangled up in.

"I’ve endorsed the framework and the resolution, but I don’t endorse doing things that are going to hurt the independent family farmer,” Booker said. “If anything, I want to let people know that we can have a green future that no way is contrary to a strong economy but actually creates a stronger economy.”

The confusion was compounded by Robert Hockett, a Cornell University professor who acted as an outside adviser to Ocasio-Cortez on the Green New Deal. Hockett told Fox News’s Tucker Carlson that the document calling for help to those unwilling to work had been “doctored” and produced by someone other than Ocasio-Cortez.

That was not true, as Hockett thought Carlson was referring to a parody of the Green New Deal circulated by right-wing activists on Twitter.

Republicans have begun to conflate support for the Green New Deal — either the resolution or the concept — as support for the most extreme elements on the FAQ. In a news blast attacking Klobuchar, the RNC said, “Midwest dairy farmers won’t love the ‘war on cows’ in the Green New Deal, a plan she endorsed.”

Chakrabarti, the congresswoman’s chief of staff, wrote on Twitter about the “unwilling to work” provision in the FAQ: “We were essentially thinking about pensions and retirement security. E.g. economic security for a coal miner who has given 40 years of their life to building the energy infra of this country, but who may be not be willing to switch this late in his career.”

In an interview, Chakrabarti also stressed the key was to focus on the larger plan to prevent climate change that poses an existential threat to millions of people around the world.

“The major thing here is we have now over 70 House Democrats and every major presidential candidate now on board calling for a gigantic transformation of our economy,” Chakrabarti said in an interview. “People are trying to take the focus away from the big picture to these little typos.”
Old 02-11-19, 10:39 PM

Not enough “would bang” comments in here. So... would bang.
Old 02-12-19, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^I was actually just thinking how unusual it was that we were nearing 50 posts and no lewd comments yet. You had to go and spoil it!

Of course, we haven't really lived up to our DVDTalk potential until we post pics and comments about her feet.
Old 02-12-19, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
^I was actually just thinking how unusual it was that we were nearing 50 posts and no lewd comments yet. You had to go and spoil it!
It happened with post #10.
Old 02-12-19, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Not enough “would bang” comments in here. So... would bang.
Yeah, she’s kind of got a Rosario Dawson thing going on.
Old 02-12-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So John Oliver gives his prediction that Trump will 'probably' win Re-Election on The Colbert Show and gets booed? Is Late Night supposed to be funny anymore, or is this the Rachael Maddow 11:30 Crowd? Beware Liberals, Maher and Michael Moore said the same stuff in 2016 and got booed and even laughed at sometimes for predicting Trump would win, don't say they didn't warn you!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b04a5c2b30f421
Old 02-12-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What in the world does that have to do with AOC?
Old 02-12-19, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
What in the world does that have to do with AOC?
Wrong thread, I meant to post in the Trump thread!
Old 02-12-19, 08:17 AM

I can't exactly put my finger on why, coli, but that is funny!
Old 02-12-19, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by story View Post
I can't exactly put my finger on why, coli, but that is funny!
Maybe I'm obsessed with her! I will say that even though I disagree with her politics, she is very hot!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.