Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-06-19, 11:19 AM
  #4676  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,450
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I'm concerned because it appears Nancy keeps having senior moments. She stands and then appears to forget why she was standing and then again forgets to sit back down.
For her, (padded) walls might be a good thing.


Pelosi-living-room

Kinda look like marshmallows, though. Nancy toodles, it's time for your marshmallow treats!



DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:23 AM
  #4677  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,631
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
I thought it was more than that. Weren't we previously told that those who didn't stand and clap for him were "treasonous" enemies of the State?

"They were like death and un-American. Un-American. Somebody said, 'treasonous.' I mean, Yeah, I guess why not? Can we call that treason? Why not? I mean they certainly didn't seem to love our country that much."
You forgot that he was totally joking that time. If he says something that gets a bad reaction, he never said it, or he was joking, or it was mis-reported, or it’s your fault for taking it the wrong way.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:24 AM
  #4678  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,401
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post


You forgot that he was totally joking that time. If he says something that gets a bad reaction, he never said it, or he was joking, or it was mis-reported, or it’s your fault for taking it the wrong way.
I forgot - he's such a comedian that I lose track of which statements are jokes.

We'll just lump that in with Hitler joking about establishing death camps for the Jews ...
Kmical is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:34 AM
  #4679  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,000
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Will they trot out Beto for next years rebuttal? And here is loser #2 from the 2018 Elections......
I don't get your logic.

Obama wouldn't have won Georgia (before he became president). Would that make him a loser that should not speak on behalf of the Democratic party? No, he would just have been unlucky to be in a state (Georgia) that is heavily tilted towards the GOP.

Every popular politician would lose some states if he/she were living in that particular state. Stacey Abrams did better in Georgia than Obama did in 2008, which is quite a feat.
Mark_vdH is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:37 AM
  #4680  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,151
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH View Post
I don't get your logic.

Obama wouldn't have won Georgia (before he became president). Would that make him a loser that should not speak on behalf of the Democratic party? No, he would just have been unlucky to be in a state (Georgia) that is heavily tilted towards the GOP.

Every popular politician would lose some states if he/she were living in that particular state. Stacey Abrams did better in Georgia than Obama did in 2008, which is quite a feat.
Not to forget all the gerrymandering her opponent did, as well, with voter purging, closing locations, etc.
Nefarious is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:40 AM
  #4681  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,492
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Not to forget all the gerrymandering her opponent did, as well, with voter purging, closing locations, etc.
What?!? That's impossible. How could her opponent have been in charge of all that?

*quickly researches Georgia election*

Oh.
GoVegan is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:41 AM
  #4682  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,351
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Before 9/11, there were unified school districts in Hidalgo county that had children living in Mexico and attending schools in the US. That's how much the culture has changed in twenty years.

I think it's caused by the cultivation of fear of otherness.
In defiance of what Trump calls a ‘national security crisis,’ NM governor pulls most National Guard troops from border

By Matthew Reichbach

Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced Tuesday that she withdrew most of New Mexico’s National Guard troops from the border.

Troops in Hidalgo County and neighboring, however, will remain in place. She also temporarily deployed six New Mexico State Police officers to Hidalgo County to assist local law enforcement agencies.

“I reject the federal contention that there exists an overwhelming national security crisis at the southern border, along which are some of the safest communities in the country,” Lujan Grisham said in a statement. “However, I recognize and appreciate the legitimate concerns of residents and officials in southwestern New Mexico, particularly Hidalgo County, who have asked for our assistance, as migrants and asylum-seekers continue to appear at their doorstep.”

A spokeswoman for Lujan Grisham said that between 11 and 15 National Guard troops will remain deployed, out of 118 before her order. Then-Gov. Susana Martinez had sent 200 troops to the border last April.

Lujan Grisham also directed state National Guard leadership to assess whether additional troops are needed in the area.

Nationally, about 2,100 National Guard troops are stationed along the border. Sunday, the Pentagon announced it is sending another 3,750 active duty soldiers to the border, bringing the total of active-duty troops deployed to around 6,000.

Ranchers in Hidalgo County, which shares an 87-mile border with Mexico, told KOB-TV things were getting worse in the area. Trump tweeted a portion of the story on Jan. 27.

The New York Times reported an increased number of crossings at the remote Antelope Wells Port of Entry is due to new limits on asylum seekers at busier ports of entry in more-populated areas.The influx of those crossing the border is straining medical resources in the area.

Lujan Grisham also ordered National Guard troops deployed from Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Wisconsin to return home. Lujan Grisham’s office says 25 National Guard troops from these states were deployed in New Mexico.
In defiance of what Trump calls a ?national security crisis,? NM governor pulls most National Guard troops from border | The NM Political Report

The new Democratic governor isn't playing ball with Trump the way the old Republican governor did.

There will be outrage that a state on the border doesn't believe that there's a border crisis. I expect she'll be facing scurrilous attacks on Breitbart.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:46 AM
  #4683  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,401
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
In defiance of what Trump calls a ?national security crisis,? NM governor pulls most National Guard troops from border | The NM Political Report

The new Democratic governor isn't playing ball with Trump the way the old Republican governor did.

There will be outrage that a state on the border doesn't believe that there's a border crisis. I expect she'll be facing scurrilous attacks on Breitbart.
I expect she'll be facing scurrilous attacks on Twitter from the President of the United States.
Kmical is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:50 AM
  #4684  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,263
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Let's let Mueller compare and contrast some testimony.
(CNN)The House Intelligence Committee on Wednesday voted to send more than four dozen unredacted transcripts from its Russia investigation interviews to special counsel Robert Mueller.

The panel approved the motion by voice vote to send the transcripts, according to Republican Rep. Mike Conaway of Texas. The panel decided to provide its interview transcripts to Mueller as its first action under new Chairman Adam Schiff, who has pledged to reopen several elements of the panel's Russia probe that Republicans ended last March.When the committee was controlled by Republicans in the last Congress, Schiff tried to send the un-redacted transcripts to Mueller, but Republicans blocked his motion, arguing that Mueller had not requested them.

The other interviews that will now be sent to the special counsel include Trump's eldest son Donald Trump Jr., son-in-law Jared Kushner and senior campaign aides Corey Lewandowski, Steve Bannon and Hope Hicks.
cungar is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 12:02 PM
  #4685  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,000
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
So if the Economy slips into a recession and the stock market tanks, it's Trump fault? But if times are good, we credit Obama no matter how long Trump is President?
Logically, this would be a false dilemma.

I'll show you the Dutch unemployment numbers:





GDP Growth in 2017 was 3.1% (2018 is not yet known but will be between 2 and 3%). There is nothing special happening under Trump. Yes, you should not do tax cuts in a booming economy, so that's quite special. Like the bible teaches, you should save during good times.

And no, if there is a recession in 2019, it is not Trump's fault. Measures like tax cuts in a booming economy will create a 0.1% GDP difference somewehere in the future (the one that Trump does not seem to care about). But politicians are generally not responsible for the economy as a whole (although you have to give Obama much credit for showing leadership and taking the right measures in 2009, sometimes against the grain).

Remember when Trump said his deregulation and tax cuts would "unleash" the economy? When his measures would lead to 6% GDP growth? Do you not care about being lied about? Do you now settle for ~3% in 2018 and ~2,3% in 2019? Are these results really worth it? Like I said, "we" achieved 3.1% GDP growth while staying in Paris. The USA is the greatest economy but it has always been. I genuinely do not see how, outside of the echo chamber, you can objectively say that these Trump results are suddenly much better. They're not.
Mark_vdH is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 12:27 PM
  #4686  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,358
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
Yes - if contributing factors for the recession involve the following:

1. Rather than re-investing in the expansion of facilities, the hiring of new workers, and paying higher wages to retain skilled employees, companies are using the extra money (from corporate tax cuts) to buy back stocks or increase dividends, and
2. Tariffs are generating extra costs for some companies, the results being their need to stop expansion, close facilities, and lay off workers, and
3. Tax cuts for the wealthy fail to "trickle down" to the middle class, instead being put into tax-free/offshore instruments which result in less revenue for the government.

The three items above are the result of actions taken by our current President and the Republican-controlled Congress.
You should come to the company I work for as they are expanding with new equipment this year and they just hired 4 new workers (because of the expected growth in our company from the expansion). Now again, this is just one case as I can't speak for everyone in the economy, but I am giving your real-life examples, where you guys just give me theories as to what you 'believe' will happen.
coli is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 12:45 PM
  #4687  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,291
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH View Post
I genuinely do not see how, outside of the echo chamber, you can objectively say that these Trump results are suddenly much better. They're not.
As usual Trump's claims are untrue or based on things that he has nothing to do with:

- The U.S. now has the "hottest economy in the world." Total nonsense. We'll probably have GDP growth of 2-2.5% this year, and that's average at best.

- Wages are rising. Perhaps and not by much above inflation. But some of that was due to increase in minimum-pay requirements pushed in many states and cities over the objection of the GOP. Not something for Trump to brag about.
Psi is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:14 PM
  #4688  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,401
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
You should come to the company I work for as they are expanding with new equipment this year and they just hired 4 new workers (because of the expected growth in our company from the expansion). Now again, this is just one case as I can't speak for everyone in the economy, but I am giving your real-life examples, where you guys just give me theories as to what you 'believe' will happen.
I would consider these as more than theoretical:

When Paul Ryan and GOP members of Congress wanted to pass their tax plan in 2017, they sold it on the potential benefits for average Americans. In fact, Ryan released a statement saying the 40% rate reduction for corporations would “create jobs, increase wages for workers, and level the playing field.”

There was one problem: The GOP tax plan included no guarantees for workers. If companies wanted to lay off thousands of employees, “tax reform” allowed them to do it. Or companies could pocket the money and boost their stock price. They could also simply offshore the jobs to Asia.

Well, all those things happened. Within weeks of the tax bill passing, America’s largest corporations started laying off workers. By February 2018, it became a feeding frenzy, with one company laying off over 5,000 employees for “restructuring.”

Since then, it has continued looking like a bad deal for workers.

Here are 17 U.S. companies that laid off large numbers of employees after taking Trump’s tax cuts.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...om-trump.html/

Kmical is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:30 PM
  #4689  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,365
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
You should come to the company I work for as they are expanding with new equipment this year and they just hired 4 new workers (because of the expected growth in our company from the expansion). Now again, this is just one case as I can't speak for everyone in the economy, but I am giving your real-life examples, where you guys just give me theories as to what you 'believe' will happen.
And I work for GM, and we just spent the last 2 days watching white collar employees being laid off in masse by the thousands. I heard it was 600+ employees just in my building alone. 2 people just in my little corner of cyber security, in our room. At my building it was going to be mostly IT workers from new college hires up to directors. Think people making 50-150k.

Desks being cleared out, people crying as they are escorted out, etc.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't say shit, man.

Don't give me this shit about "but the economy is sooo good because of tax cuts, and you are wrong with those annoying numbers and facts". Not this week.

Req'd social media disclaimer: Views are my own and not GM's. Duh.
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:35 PM
  #4690  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,789
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I suppose the 30+ years of evidence that the 'trickle down' economy has weakened the middle-class is irrelevant as well.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:39 PM
  #4691  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,073
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
And I work for GM, and we just spent the last 2 days watching white collar employees being laid off in masse by the thousands. I heard it was 600+ employees just in my building alone. 2 people just in my little corner of cyber security, in our room. At my building it was going to be mostly IT workers from new college hires up to directors. Think people making 50-150k.

Desks being cleared out, people crying as they are escorted out, etc.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't say shit, man.

Don't give me this shit about "but the economy is sooo good because of tax cuts, and you are wrong with those annoying numbers and facts". Not this week.
Truly sorry for your situation. The company I was working for at the time was hit HARD during 2007/2008. The first major layoffs was a similar situation. People crying; not taking their jackets off in case they were tapped on the shoulder and wouldn't be able to go back to their desk...etc. Hundreds effected from just the home office. Local news even showed up at the headquarters when they learned of the layoffs and had to be told to leave the property to not harass the people walking out with questions. I survived the next 5 or 6 rounds of layoffs after that but my role was eventually relocated to Belgium.
Noonan is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:43 PM
  #4692  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,913
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
You should come to the company I work for as they are expanding with new equipment this year and they just hired 4 new workers (because of the expected growth in our company from the expansion). Now again, this is just one case as I can't speak for everyone in the economy, but I am giving your real-life examples, where you guys just give me theories as to what you 'believe' will happen.
You're touting 4 new jobs at your company on the same day that GM, an American institution, lays off 1300 employees?

Sorry to hear you're in the middle of it GreenMonkey.
Goat3001 is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:49 PM
  #4693  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,631
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Sorry you and your community has to go through that, GreenMonkey. I survived some major purges in the tech world, and it really sucks when people are shown the door through no fault of their own. One former co-worker spent years trying to get hired back and never got over it.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:52 PM
  #4694  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,365
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
You're touting 4 new jobs at your company on the same day that GM, an American institution, lays off 1300 employees?

Sorry to hear you're in the middle of it GreenMonkey.
4250 or so.

There's a bunch more contractors they laid off since November also, the number was supposed to be 6750.

Ironically, I don't really blame Trump very much here, as I personally don't attribute much of the economic growth or decline of a country to the political branches of government. Unless we're in crisis ala 2008/2009, I don't think policy changes make a huge amount of difference in the short term. But our CEO did cite steel tariffs as a problem for us, so there's that.

Mainly being a bit snarkety about using anecdotal evidence to make your point.

GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:58 PM
  #4695  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,291
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Mainly being a bit snarkety about using anecdotal evidence to make your point.
Exactly. That attitude of "I'm OK, so the world is OK" is most annoying.

Hang in there, GreenMonkey.
Psi is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 02:02 PM
  #4696  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,631
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Exactly. That attitude of "I'm OK, so the world is OK" is most annoying.

Hang in there, GreenMonkey.
Sounds like “I’m cold today, so there is no global warming.”
davidh777 is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 02:06 PM
  #4697  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,000
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
You should come to the company I work for as they are expanding with new equipment this year and they just hired 4 new workers (because of the expected growth in our company from the expansion). Now again, this is just one case as I can't speak for everyone in the economy, but I am giving your real-life examples, where you guys just give me theories as to what you 'believe' will happen.
Mark_vdH is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 02:07 PM
  #4698  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,365
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
You're touting 4 new jobs at your company on the same day that GM, an American institution, lays off 1300 employees?

Sorry to hear you're in the middle of it GreenMonkey.
You were kinda right btw, the latest article says 1300.

https://www.wxyz.com/money/auto-news...te-collar-cuts

But that was just at my complex. 600+ in my building and 1300 in my complex. 4250 total.

I'm glad I'm not one of the ones competing for an IT job in the Detroit area right now, that's a LOT of IT folks and engineers and such all being laid off all at once.
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 02:09 PM
  #4699  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,822
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
4250 or so.

There's a bunch more contractors they laid off since November also, the number was supposed to be 6750.

Ironically, I don't really blame Trump very much here, as I personally don't attribute much of the economic growth or decline of a country to the political branches of government. Unless we're in crisis ala 2008/2009, I don't think policy changes make a huge amount of difference in the short term. But our CEO did cite steel tariffs as a problem for us, so there's that.

Mainly being a bit snarkety about using anecdotal evidence to make your point.
Sorry for your situation. And appreciate your perspective (what’s happing is not 100% the fault of Trump).

Ive been trying to keep up with GM. It seems to me they are trying to make significant change while things are going well. Meaning it appears GM overall bottom line is ok. Yet they are still making these changes. My outsider perspective is that they don’t want to be a Kodak. By the time they realized they had to change, it was simply to late.

Now, being an outsider I’m not sure how these layoffs enter that strategy (if I’m correct). I know several older plants were shut down, so it might be part of that. Modernization, etc. It’s my belief the entire auto industry is going to be rattled in the coming years.

Yea, the whole tariff thing sucks. I mean instability is the problem. There were/are a lot of companies here that had good businesses that required that cheap steal and aluminum. It’s very short sighted to not see the other businesses it involves.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 02:38 PM
  #4700  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,401
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Yea, the whole tariff thing sucks. I mean instability is the problem. There were/are a lot of companies here that had good businesses that required that cheap steal and aluminum. It’s very short sighted to not see the other businesses it involves.
Trump just doesn't get it.

TRUMP: "We recently imposed tariffs on $250 billion of Chinese goods - and now our treasury is receiving billions of dollars."

THE FACTS: This is misleading. Yes, money from tariffs is going into the federal treasury, but it's largely coming from U.S. businesses and consumers. It's not foreign countries that are paying these import taxes by cutting a check to the government.

"Mr. President, China is not paying us those billions of dollars. We (businesses and consumers in the US) are paying those billions - either directly or indirectly"
Kmical is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.