Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-04-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by story View Post
Maybe all the people ridiculing the Hitler comparison would be so kind as to let the rest of us know the other historical figures that were along the same lines as Hitler, but not Hitler. You know, they instigated a lot of terrible feelings and upheld dehumanization as policy, and gladly they stopped short of genocide while also not caring if people were attacking the very people he was dehumanizing. Kind of a Hitler-lite. See, I just don't know the names of the mini-Hitlers, the three doors down Hitlers. Who are those not-so-much Hitlers? Maybe you can tell us so we can use them to compare the president to, instead, so we're more accurate.

If you don't know who those men are either, guess we'll have to use Hitler in the meantime.
How about Mussolini? I've heard some refer to Trump as "the Mandarin Mussolini".
Old 02-04-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
That this comment is coming from a mod is particularly disturbing and signals my exit from this thread.
Story didn't mention anything about this forum or you as a poster. What does being a mod have anything to do about it? Don't forget, this is a DVD/media based forum, not politics.
Old 02-04-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That this comment is coming from a mod is particularly disturbing and signals my exit from this thread.
Old 02-04-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I remember when Trump called the MS13 gang a bunch of animals. That was clearly dehumanizing, and I'm glad that the people here at DVDTalk were brave enough to defend the MS13 against Trump's hateful comments. And any President that would put kids in cages or indirectly result in them being placed with child traffickers should never be regarded as being a decent human being. There, we are all on the same page now.
Yeah, I'm pretty fucking sure that we are not.
Old 02-04-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Story didn't mention anything about this forum or you as a poster.
Oh, let him have his little hissy fit.
Old 02-04-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
How about Mussolini? I've heard some refer to Trump as "the Mandarin Mussolini".
From October 2016

Trump is America's Franco: How Fascism Finds a Foothold in Democratic Nations

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...s-a-footh.html

Old 02-04-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Proofreading is hard!
So are good / bad puns.

See "Godwin's Law".
The "rim shot" kind of gives it away.

Last edited by mspmms; 02-04-19 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I remember when Trump called the MS13 gang a bunch of animals. That was clearly dehumanizing, and I'm glad that the people here at DVDTalk were brave enough to defend the MS13 against Trump's hateful comments.
If you look through my posting history, you will see that I strongly condemned the "animals" comment. Dehumanization of anyone is bad, it doesn't matter if they aren't good people. I wasn't defending MS13, but I oppose anyone viewing another individual as somehow less than human. It leads to an incredibly slippery slope. As someone whose grandparents were in the camps, I don't like seeing anything that allowed that situation to happen repeated.
Old 02-04-19, 01:19 PM
Admin-Thanos

Mods are posters here just like everyone else. They are entitled to opinions just like everyone else.

If the Hitler comparisons are so off the mark, they should be pretty easy to refute. Obama was compared to Hitler by the right numerous times and it was laughable, but I'm sure folks here pointed out quite easily why those comments were ludicrous.

I think the point is, if you want to say, "Look, you can't call Trump Hitler." you should be ready to say "and here's why." The reason can't be "just because."
Old 02-04-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He already said he exited the thread. Pointless responding.
Old 02-04-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
He already said he exited the thread. Pointless responding.
He'll be back when the thread moves onto a new topic and act like these posts never happened.
Old 02-04-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
So are good / bad puns.

See "Godwin's Law".
Just for laughs, if you could explain your pun, that would be great.
Old 02-04-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
He'll be back when the thread moves onto a new topic and act like these posts never happened.
Oh I get it. It's one of those "I'm quitting Twitter" type deals.
Old 02-04-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by story View Post
Maybe all the people ridiculing the Hitler comparison would be so kind as to let the rest of us know the other historical figures that were along the same lines as Hitler, but not Hitler. You know, they instigated a lot of terrible feelings and upheld dehumanization as policy, and gladly they stopped short of genocide while also not caring if people were attacking the very people he was dehumanizing. Kind of a Hitler-lite. See, I just don't know the names of the mini-Hitlers, the three doors down Hitlers. Who are those not-so-much Hitlers? Maybe you can tell us so we can use them to compare the president to, instead, so we're more accurate.

If you don't know who those men are either, guess we'll have to use Hitler in the meantime.
Why the need for such a massively historically-ignorant comparison? Accusing some obnoxious tweeter to a guy who was responsible for over 10 million people dead...is pretty sad.

If Trump was bad enough on his own merits (and had the evidence to prove it)...certain people wouldn't feel so desperate and weak-minded to compare him to somebody that actually did evil things.

Feel free to make Jews, Hungarians, and the Polish...seem increasingly irrelevant, I guess.
Old 02-04-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Why the need for such a massively historically-ignorant comparison? Accusing some obnoxious tweeter to a guy who was responsible for over 10 million people dead...is pretty sad.
Trump is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. That's incalculably bigger than an "obnoxious tweeter" and you know it.

If Trump was bad enough on his own merits (and had the evidence to prove it)...certain people wouldn't feel so desperate and weak-minded to compare him to somebody that actually did evil things.
Trump hasn't done evil things? Sexual assault not evil enough? Encouraging his followers to assault and murder his opponents? Praising a Republican representative for assaulting a reporter? What about separating children from their parents who entered the country legally to seek asylum and then LOSING THE KIDS.

I mean, what the fuck are your standards for evil? Anything less than genocide?
Old 02-04-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Trump is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. That's incalculably bigger than an "obnoxious tweeter" and you know it.
Hitler killed over 10 million people. Trump hasn't even come close. Not even in the same category.

And you know it.

UPS looks more like Nazis than Trump and his supporters.

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Trump hasn't done evil things? Sexual assault not evil enough? Encouraging his followers to assault and murder his opponents? Praising a Republican representative for assaulting a reporter? What about separating children from their parents who entered the country legally to seek asylum and then LOSING THE KIDS.

I mean, what the fuck are your standards for evil? Anything less than genocide?
My standards are evidence, to start. You're just going down the list of campaign attacks that are...over two years old.

If Trump wins another 4 years, are you and others STILL going to be recycling that crusty and haggard nonsense.

And I don't know how many times it takes for you to understand something...Obama had kids separated during his entire administration. But also, you seem to forget about kids being used as drug mules and whatever else by illegals, just to get across the border. They don't give a shit if their kids are taken from them. Why? Because they got across the border. And...they aren't their kids. Granted, this isn't the case in all situations, but by far, the children of other countries are being used and abused by the same people you defend as somehow being innocent and are only looking for jobs.

But yeah, that Trump supperatin' them illegal families!
Old 02-04-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hitler killed over 10 million people. Trump hasn't even come close. Not even in the same category.

And you know it.

My standards are evidence, to start. You're just going down the list of campaign attacks that are...over two years old.

If Trump wins another 4 years, are you and others STILL going to be recycling that crusty and haggard nonsense.

And I don't know how many times it takes for you to understand something...Obama had kids separated during his entire administration. But also, you seem to forget about kids being used as drug mules and whatever else by illegals, just to get across the border. They don't give a shit if their kids are taken from them. Why? Because they got across the border. And...they aren't their kids. Granted, this isn't the case in all situations, but by far, the children of other countries are being used and abused by the same people you defend as somehow being innocent and are only looking for jobs.

You know that the part I bolded about Hitler didn't happen overnight? Yes, Trump has been only 2 years in power and hasn't killed 10 million people, but enough have died under his command, including children, due to his inhumane policies on immigration. What every other poster in this site except you and another few understand is that when we are comparing Trump to Hitler, we aren't comparing the final tally for Hitler's atrocities. What we are comparing are the policies and decisions that Hitler and his people made during the earlier years of his reign that led to the the genocide. Trump, Stephen Miller, Steve Bannon and many others have created and implemented policies that are eerily similar to what Hitler did, for example, discrediting the press, embracing white supremacy, attacking immigrants and minorities and using simplistic slogans for complex problems. We hope that the people have learned about the mistakes in the past by Hitler's regime and that they don't fall for Trump's ideas that in the long run will probably lead to more dead people.
Old 02-04-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
So are good / bad puns.

See "Godwin's Law".
Um yeah, I was referring to your error riddled "sentence", you couldn't even spell "Godwin" properly.
Old 02-04-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

BT-dubs, Jaymole was almost certainly taking the piss with his hyperbolic comment that set this off, so the laugh is on all of us! (Except for meme's "pun", that is ...)
Old 02-04-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for laughs, if you could explain your pun, that would be great.
Yeah, I certainly appreciate a good pun, so let's hear what it was supposed to be.
Old 02-04-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BT-dubs, Jaymole was almost certainly taking the piss with his hyperbolic comment that set this off, so the laugh is on all of us! (Except for meme's "pun", that is ...)
Oh yeah, I'm sure he was, that's how I read it. but some folks got waaaaay too offended about it.
Old 02-04-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And you know it.

How many times and how long? Gee how long has Trump been talking about “her emails”? Which was actually fully investigated.

As for Obama separating kids. It’s total BS and you know it. Talk about spitting up a faulse republican talking point. For the zillionith time, Obama did not detain asylum seekers. They were released and given a promise to appear. So there was no need to separate kids. Did it ever happen? Yes. Based on individual issues that might have shown the kids to be mules or whatever. But that was very rare. And once cleared up, we’re immediatly reunited.

Trump went zero tolerance and started prosecuting asylum seekers and separating kids. What was happening maybe a couple times a year, went to thousands in months. Here is a quick article.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/im...milies-n884856

Also, I notice you skip the part where Trump didn’t keep track of the kids they did separate. Trump has taken kids and by all accounts is unable to reunite them with their parents. Please defend that.
Old 02-04-19, 03:31 PM

Hitler killed over 10 million people. Trump hasn't even come close.
Pretty low bar, but I guess I'll give him that.
Old 02-04-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
What every other poster in this site except you and another few understand is that when we are comparing Trump to Hitler, we aren't comparing the final tally for Hitler's atrocities. What we are comparing are the policies and decisions that Hitler and his people made during the earlier years of his reign that led to the the genocide.
Exactly
Old 02-04-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Also, I notice you skip the part where Trump didnít keep track of the kids they did separate. Trump has taken kids and by all accounts is unable to reunite them with their parents. Please defend that.
Yeah, their zero tolerance policy that catches people entering the country both legally and illegally and takes their kids away, then loses them, then says "oh well" is pretty fucking evil.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.