Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 01-12-19, 04:47 AM
Suspended

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

This is just a troll post. Right? I mean u can’t be serious.

Since Trump is proposing a 25-30 foot wall/fence, your question should be to those homeowners who have that size steel or concrete fence.

Also, I do not have a fence around my yard. But if I want to put one in, you have no issues in helping me pay for it? Is that correct?

As for “education” sure, I’ll help. They are called “privacy” fencing. I have no back yard fence. But I let my bushes, trees and shrubbery grow so that those that drive by in the alley, those that walk their dog or whatever, can’t easily see in the windows to my bedroom, living room, and bar.

I have no outdoor pets, so no need to put up a fence. But if I did, it would be 6 feet tops. Easily accessible by anyone that wanted.

Let me ask you. How many homeowners you know have 30 foot fencing around their property? If the answer is none, then you have your answer for needing one on the border (by your logic).
You're accusing me of being a "troll" but now you're asking me how many homeowners have a 30ft high fence?

I have seen some 10ft high walls in the wealthier neighborhoods, however...gosh, wonder what political party they favor.

Of course, I think if homeowners along the southern border had a say, they certainly would opt for a 30ft fence/wall if they could afford it on their property.

You're side-stepping the issue of protection, refusing to admit that homeowners in a protected society hundreds of miles from any border...have fences and walls that are 6ft high, even higher. Why you are avoiding that is beyond my interpretation skills.

By the way, the wall has various sections and heights, and the new spec replacements can have a minimum of being 18ft high.
Old 01-12-19, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
You're accusing me of being a "troll" but now you're asking me how many homeowners have a 30ft high fence?

I have seen some 10ft high walls in the wealthier neighborhoods, however...gosh, wonder what political party they favor.

Of course, I think if homeowners along the southern border had a say, they certainly would opt for a 30ft fence/wall if they could afford it on their property.

You're side-stepping the issue of protection, refusing to admit that homeowners in a protected society hundreds of miles from any border...have fences and walls that are 6ft high, even higher. Why you are avoiding that is beyond my interpretation skills.

By the way, the wall has various sections and heights, and the new spec replacements can have a minimum of being 18ft high.
Dude, your just not getting it. Or being purposely obtuse.

In my early teens one of our neighbors had a pool. Of course it had a fence around the back yard. My buddies and I and our girlfriends use to hop the fence to swim when they were out of town or at work.

The vast majority of fence at homes is around the backyards only and for privacy. Sure some have seciurity fencing. But even thatís rare.

Its a trolls arguement to compare home fencing to a border wall.
Old 01-12-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[COLOR=left=#1d1e1f]Clemson to visit White House on Monday, President Trump says[/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#48494a]Newly crowned national champion Clemson will visit the White House on Monday, President Donald Trump said in a tweet on Friday.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#48494a]"I look forward to hosting, right out of the great State of South Carolina, the 2019 NCAA Football Champion Clemson Tigers at the White House on Monday, January 14th," Trump wrote. "What a game, what a coach, what a team!"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#48494a]Coach Dabo Swinney and the Tigers previously visited Trump at the White House after defeating Alabama to win the CFP title in 2017. This year's trip was organized much faster than Clemson's last ceremony in Washington, which was not set until May and took place June 12.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#48494a]Swinney also visited former President Bill Clinton at the White House in 1993, after his Alabama team won the national championship in his senior year.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#48494a]Clemson became the first team in history to go 15-0 after beating Alabama 44-16 on Monday to reclaim the title, after the Crimson Tide won the championship over Georgia a year ago.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#48494a]The White House visit will come after the Tigers host a victory parade through downtown Clemson on Saturday morning.[/COLOR]

Clemson to visit White House on Monday, President Trump says

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 01-12-19 at 06:35 AM. Reason: I have no idea what it keeps posting the color=
Old 01-12-19, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Calling Comey a crooked cop. I'd sue him for that shit.

Old 01-12-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tougher than any other President on Russia
Old 01-12-19, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Its a trolls arguement to compare home fencing to a border wall.
Then don't engage it. You gain nothing when you pursue distraction. Stay focused.
Old 01-12-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Calling Comey a crooked cop. I'd sue him for that shit.
The last time someone tried that it cost them $300,000.
Old 01-12-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuck, this guy's totally losing it. Shit's going to get crazy over the next month.
Old 01-12-19, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
What a day for trump. He now owns the legacy of longest shutdown in US history, and it's revealed that the FBI launched a counterintelligence investigation into him for firing the director of the FBI. As if he legacy of being the absolute worst president in US history wasn't already cemented enough.
I think you give him too much credit. I think he will go down by historians (AKA liberal hacks) as the worst president of any representative, open democracy. On the positive side, it goes to show the strength of the democracy. Even when there are plenty enablers (Graham, Cruz) and of course there is some long term damage (judges), the system itself keeps working and is resilient enough.

Old 01-12-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This shutdown just became illegal, a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the moment the government failed to pay excepted workers last night. This is based on a 2014 Federal court ruling. The Federal government will not only have to pay these workers (obviously), but will have to pay substantial penalties and bonus pay to any one of them who joins what are sure to be several class action lawsuits in the coming weeks. This is in addition to:
  • paying hundreds of thousands of furloughed workers not to work
  • the costs associated with all the work that was not done, to include ramp down/ramp up costs for government projects, etc.
  • the accumulation of additional financial liability due to leave taken by employees taken during the shutdown that affected employees will not lose
So, how many millions of taxpayer dollars pissed away is that I wonder? I also heard a rumor that excepted Feds will not be given any Federal holidays off either, to include MLK Day next Monday, since doing so would be considered "taking leave" and immediately put them in furlough status. So later they will have to be paid double time for that as well, which is more money wasted.
Old 01-12-19, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
The last time someone tried that it cost them $300,000.
And the time before that, it cost Trump just $ 25,000,000. He must be tired of winning all the time.
Old 01-12-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH View Post
I think you give him too much credit. I think he will go down by historians (AKA liberal hacks) as the worst president of any representative, open democracy. On the positive side, it goes to show the strength of the democracy. Even when there are plenty enablers (Graham, Cruz) and of course there is some long term damage (judges), the system itself keeps working and is resilient enough.
The jury is still out on that.
Old 01-12-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL, the $5 billion he wants for the wall will now have to go to pay the penalties for not paying furloughed workers.
Old 01-12-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Link

This site is obviously pro border fence/wall. But what I found interesting is how little fencing/wall we actually have.

As of May 2015, DHS had installed:
  • 353 miles of Primary Pedestrian Fencing.
  • 36 miles of Secondary Fencing.
  • 14 miles of Tertiary Pedestrian Fencing.
  • 300 miles of Vehicle Fencing.
So we have a nearly 2,000 mile border. Only 353 miles of it has a barrier that can stop vehicles and people. And per the site, has been this way for some time. So where exactly is the new issue?

USA Today

This is a cool interactive guide. And worth reminding, you would have serious issues building anything in a Texas due to no federally owned land.

“The Texas border is mostly unfenced because of treaty provisions, private-property rights, litigation and floodplains. Fencing was easier to build in New Mexico, Arizona and California, where the federal government controls a 60-foot-wide strip of land adjacent to the border.”

Link

This is long, but detailed and interesting. Again noting of the 1,200 mile border in Texas only 115 miles has any barrier. For lots of reasons that still apply. Also,“Construction on the new wall wrapped up in November 2018 and cost $73.3 million — all for just one 20-mile stretch of border territory.”

So guess some new fencing has gone in.

Story
oops....this article notes, any new fencing is just replacing old. So guess no additional fencing has been added,

“And the new construction doesn't add mileage to the border-security system. The projects completed so far — segments of 2.25 miles, 20 miles, 14 miles, 4 miles — build fences that replace older fences.”

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-12-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-12-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084121557193146368

Old 01-12-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Orange Shitstain
Elections have consequences!
Not a lie!!
Old 01-12-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Yes, idiot President, elections have consequences. Your Caravan blustering was rejected in the mid-terms. And why aren't you asking McConnell to come back to DC?

So why didn't you try to get your precious Wall funding passed when you had a majority of Congress on your side? Now all of the sudden it's a crisis, conveniently, when you have a House foil.

Your plan is to just to do nothing and hope the House caves.

And I love how jealous he is of Bezos.
Old 01-12-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In fact, there’s almost nobody in the W.H. but me
So reassuring!

Elections have consequences!
You mean like the last one in 2018 where a bunch of Dems were elected in repudiation of your orange ass?
Old 01-12-19, 10:49 AM
Suspended

....I do have a plan on the Shutdown. But to understand that plan you would have to understand the fact that I won the election, and I promised safety and security for the American people. Part of that promise was a Wall at the Southern Border. Elections have consequences! - Trump
Elections do have consequences. Trump is about to find out exactly what those consequences are when he backtracks consistently, instead of backing up consistently what he says with action. Trump should know, as a CEO, and as a person who had thousands on his payroll during his life, that when you continually postpone a person's paycheck due to internal issues with the company...you create more problems than what you think you're solving. Keeping your employees paid on time, is essential for company efficiency. We're almost a month into this shutdown, and it's not helping Trump's case for a wall, one single iota.

Trump brags about being the best deal maker in the US (if not the world), then fine, let's see it in action. But I don't see it. All I see is him whining and complaining and threatening this or that on his social media account--and then backtracking on ideas that his supporters actually liked and favored!

The first week of the shutdown, fine ok, have your tweets. But he should have had a plan already in place by week #2 if Dems were still stubborn. It is clear he has no plan, and Democrats will more than likely show him the way. Did Trump really think Pelosi and Schumer were just going to bow in his presence and give up. Please.

One Dem suggested a mile-by-mile assessment, which on face value, seems fair to me and might be an idea for barriers along the border to be repaired and installed.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-12-19 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-12-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chuck and Nancy should agree to match Mexico dollar for dollar the cost of the wall.
Old 01-12-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Chuck and Nancy should agree to match Mexico dollar for dollar the cost of the wall.
They already have.
Old 01-12-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

They already have.
Oh. I musta missed it.
Old 01-12-19, 11:35 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

This emergency seems more optional than super pressing.
Old 01-12-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is comparing "the wall" to walls/fences around homes the new thing? If so, I have a question:

How effective would that wall/fence around your home be if it's full of holes?
Old 01-12-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Then why do I observe locks on many of the fences where I live. They aren't just for show.
If the fence is there to keep a dog in the yard, then it stands to reason the property owners would want to be able to lock the fence so someone canít let the dog out, or so children canít get into the yard with the attractive nuisance.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.