Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

San Francisco weighs ban on employee cafeterias

Old 08-01-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, this politician thinks people are too stupid to decide where to eat lunch, so he wants to make that decision for them.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...215493815.html

July 25, 2018

A proposal introduced Tuesday to ban employee cafeterias in future San Francisco office buildings represents more than an effort to boost the city’s restaurant scene, backers say.

“People will have to go out and (eat) lunch with the rest of us,” Aaron Peskin, a San Francisco supervisor who co-sponsored the proposal, told The San Francisco Examiner.

“This is also about a cultural shift,” Supervisor Ahsha Safai, who proposed the ban, told The San Francisco Chronicle. “We don’t want employees biking or driving into their office, staying there all day long and going home. This is about getting people out of their office, interacting with the community and adding to the vibrancy of the community.”

But some employees at San Francisco tech giants targeted by the proposal need free or reduced-cost meals typically offered at the cafeterias, Sam Schneidman, who works in San Francisco, told KNTV.

“A lot of people who rely on the benefit aren’t necessarily highly compensated engineers and it’s something that a lot of tech workers depend on,” Schneidman told the station.

Anthony Myint, co-owner of the Perennial restaurant in the city’s mid-market neighborhood, told the Chronicle he expected a brisk lunchtime business, but instead sees only a few customers for lunch each day.

“We misunderstood the pervasiveness of the company cafeterias inside,” Myint told the publication. He probably would have chosen another location had he known, he said.

“You can’t compete with free,” Gwyneth Borden, executive director of the Golden Gate Restaurant Association, told the Chronicle.

Safai told KNTV he hopes the ban would invigorate the city’s restaurant trade.

“The backbone of any vibrant strong city is our small business, our restaurants, our cafes, our locally owned businesses,” Safai told the station.

However, the proposed ban would not affect the 51 employee cafeterias already in San Francisco, only future office buildings, “so it’s not goring anybody’s ox,” Peskin told the Examiner.

Introduced Tuesday, the proposed ban now will be reviewed by a city committee, reported KNTV.

The nearby city of Mountain View recently barred a new Facebook office from offering free- or reduced-cost meals at its cafeteria, reported the Chronicle.
Old 08-01-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: San Francisco weighs ban on employee cafeterias

This is an overreach and pretty nuts.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 08-01-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There is nothing in this article that says the person 'thinks people are too stupid'.

This should go in Other, but it really should just go on your personal "I hate San Francisco" blog.

/thread
Old 08-01-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wanting people to leave the office and support local businesses now = being too stupid to know where to eat?

Even when you use a non-baiting thread title, you still manage to dig the hole in the body. And there zero chance this ever happens anyway.
Old 08-01-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Grundle, Show me on this doll where did San Francisco touched you?

Old 08-01-18, 03:38 PM

Maybe this makes me a crazy Trump supporter but this ban seems unnecessary if you ask me.
Old 08-01-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Maybe this makes me a crazy Trump supporter but this ban seems unnecessary if you ask me.
It's a ridiculous idea, to be sure.
Old 08-01-18, 03:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Make Americans Graze Again
Old 08-01-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You'd also find employers against it. Employers LIKE when workers never leave the building. It's a lot harder to take a three-hour lunch in an on-site cafeteria.
Old 08-01-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Most American Employees already feel as if Companies are taking more and more from them. S.F. is gonna contribute to more Employer hate.
Old 08-01-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
You'd also find employers against it. Employers LIKE when workers never leave the building. It's a lot harder to take a three-hour lunch in an on-site cafeteria.
But then again, these days a lot of employees are taking lunches at their desks....while working.
Old 08-01-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

That’s it. Tech companies work their employees hard. In an effort to dull the pain of the 40+++++ hour work weeks they offer cafes on site, cafeterias, foosball tournaments, etc. Most employees can’t afford to live in the city. So the free food is a employer provided benefit, like health insurance or clothing allowances.

Anthony Myint, co-owner of the Perennial restaurant in the city’s mid-market neighborhood, told the Chronicle he expected a brisk lunchtime business, but instead sees only a few customers for lunch each day.

“We misunderstood the pervasiveness of the company cafeterias inside,” Myint told the publication. He probably would have chosen another location had he known, he said.
Sounds like this asshole didn’t do his research.

Lastly, I go to SF a lot, and one of the reasons is the food. They’ve got plenty of restaurants with or without this goofy rule.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-01-18 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
But then again, these days a lot of employees are taking lunches at their desks....while working.
Ban that too! Everything can be solved with a ban!
Old 08-01-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
“People will have to go out and (eat) lunch with the rest of us,” Aaron Peskin, a San Francisco supervisor who co-sponsored the proposal, told The San Francisco Examiner.
Or I dunno, bring a lunch from home? Or am I the only one who still does that because I don't want to spend my money on buying lunch every fucking day? (I usually buy lunch only once a work week). Must be nice to be rich and lazy.
Old 08-01-18, 04:19 PM

https://local.theonion.com/man-bring...oys-1819577433
Old 08-01-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Or I dunno, bring a lunch from home? Or am I the only one who still does that because I don't want to spend my money on buying lunch every fucking day? Must be nice to be rich and lazy.
I do but I'm pretty basic when it comes to eating during the work day. PB&J and a yogurt for lunch most days.

And I agree. I see people spending $10+ for a salad from the salad bar and a drink. No thanks.
Old 08-01-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great, so more traffic during lunch hour there.

Gives a competitive advantage to already established companies who can offer free food as a perk that new companies can't.

Also, it's not like the cafeterias don't employ local people or get food and supplies from local suppliers.
Old 08-01-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Or I dunno, bring a lunch from home? Or am I the only one who still does that because I don't want to spend my money on buying lunch every fucking day? (I usually buy lunch only once a work week). Must be nice to be rich and lazy.
After spending an average of $20 a day on breakfast & lunch, I started doing this a little over a year ago and it has helped my wallet.
Old 08-01-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Or am I the only one who still does that because I don't want to spend my money on buying lunch every fucking day? (I usually buy lunch only once a work week).
I do too. (And I also usually have one lunch out during the work week.)

If my company had free/cheap lunches in a cafeteria, it'd cut down on me bringing lunches, but I don't think it'd have any impact on me venturing out.
Old 08-01-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

At Disney they come around 10:30 with a little menu and you select what you want. By noon it's being delivered to your desk. It's free. Some people choose to work at their desk and eat while others choose to take it into one of the meeting rooms or cafeteria rooms on the floor. The goal is to keep people talking, creating, and imagining during lunch time while at the same time making lunch free and simple to obtain. It is optional. *

* This comes from folks I know who came from working in the Disney Studios / IT departments.
Old 08-01-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
So the free food is a employer provided benefit, like health insurance or clothing allowances..
Yup...it is called LAAB (Lunch As A Benefit) and is actually a talking point used to help persuade some employees to sign on the dotted line.

Personally, I get it...when I visited my brother when he worked at Paypal/eBay and Facebook I got a kick out of the being able to eat gourmet food for lunch/dinner but I also totally understand that it is an attempt to have workers stay in the office longer, and they are more likely to emulate their peers and eat while they are at their desk which would drive me nuts.

I like my lunch hour and unless I am high enough on the food chain to be considered always available even while on lunch (meaning I am being paid mad dollars to work a bit harder than the average Joe) I try to ensure the lunch hour is me time.
Old 08-01-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

We have subsidized meals available up on main campus (about $7-10 for a decent lunch) but it's more convenient to combine lunch out with errands or just pack something from home, given the parking sitch up there. If it were just a short walk away, I'd eat there most days. Banning company cafeterias to stimulate restaurant business is blatant overreach indeed. I'd have agreed with others saying this proposal doesn't have a chance to pass, but shit be crazy nowadays. Next they'll propose banning packed lunches when this doesn't work. Hide yo' cafeteria, hide yo' lunch box, they bannin' errythang out heah.
Old 08-01-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've seen some pretty swanky cafeterias at Apple and Yahoo when i've been to their campuses. And I work at an office where we have a cafe on site and it's pretty great to have the option for a convenient bite if you have meetings that run through lunch, especially if there's nothing nearby.

What a dumb measure.
Old 08-01-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
After spending an average of $20 a day on breakfast & lunch, I started doing this a little over a year ago and it has helped my wallet.
I sooo need to do this.
Old 08-01-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
There is nothing in this article that says the person 'thinks people are too stupid'.

This should go in Other, but it really should just go on your personal "I hate San Francisco" blog.

/thread
I bolded the part where one of the politician who supported this proposal said, "We don’t want employees biking or driving into their office, staying there all day long and going home. This is about getting people out of their office, interacting with the community and adding to the vibrancy of the community."

It certainly seems to me that that politician thinks people are too stupid to decide where to eat lunch.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.