Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Mass Shootings [Merged]

Old 03-19-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Mass Shootings [Merged]

God bless him.
Old 03-19-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Since we're talking about that Mosque shooter as being a troll here's another toolbag claiming the MAGA bullshit. Sure, this was limited to one Mafia boss, but he had all this shit written down on his hand when he appeared in court.

I don't think this guy will live long enough to serve his sentence, though, if you get my meaning.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/suspect-m...195052183.html
It's a Q for QAnon, Patriots in Charge is a variation of a Q slogan.
Old 03-19-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Where could these people get the idea that it's right to shoot Muslims?

Here's one of the many answers thanks to Liberty University President, Trump supporter and American Evangelical Christian Jerry Falwell Jr

https://twitter.com/slpng_giants/sta...171740160?s=20
WTF is wrong with you? Are you trying to attack his religious freedom? If we stop him from talking “God’s will” then we will be totally discriminating against his discrimination.
Old 03-20-19, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Question: Why was it originally reported that the shooter had accomplices and that 4 people were arrested?
Old 03-20-19, 09:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

per wikipedia
On the day of the attacks, authorities stated that four suspects were arrested.[144][145][146] Two days after the attack, Police Commissioner Mike Bush stated that separate from the main suspect, the three other people arrested did not appear to be involved in the attacks.[147] Police arrested a woman and a man after finding a firearm in a vehicle in which they were travelling together.[148] The woman was released uncharged while the man was held in custody, charged with a firearms offence.[149] An 18-year-old man was arrested and charged with inciting racial disharmony under the Human Rights Act and was due to appear in court on 18 March.[13]

Additionally, a 30-year-old man claimed he was arrested when he arrived at Papanui High School to pick up his 13-year-old brother-in-law. He was wearing camouflage clothing, which he said he habitually wore. He also said police gave him a verbal warning for disorderly behaviour.[150]
Old 03-20-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Question: Why was it originally reported that the shooter had accomplices and that 4 people were arrested?
Because in chaotic situations occasionally the actual facts don't come out until later? I haven't dug into this particular situation but you'll also have situations where a police spokesperson at one location makes a statement based on the information they have but they aren't aware of what is going on at another location. Or perhaps people were detained who they thought might be involved but they were soon released when it was discovered they weren't, but the release wasn't made as public as the detainment was. Or maybe someone in the crowd shoved a cop and they got arrested for it and it was accidentally wrapped into the shooting.

I've seen this firsthand when covering the news. In general, journalists don't just make things up. A source tells them and they report as such and then that gets picked up and after a game of telephone happens, 4 people have been arrested.
Old 03-20-19, 09:55 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. It's why "Breaking News" is such a clusterfuck, and reddit detectives getting involved (like in the Boston Marathon bombing) do more harm than good.
When shit like this happens, it's probably best to wait a few days so all the facts are straight, but we, as an online culture, can't handle that. Hell, I even posted the first update in this thread - but mostly to alert the mods in case someone shitty tried to share the video footage.There were people posting it everywhere they could, which in and of itself, is extremely fucked up.
Old 03-20-19, 01:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

This is a good video about how these mass murders are, in part, a result of finding identity, something that some folks may balk at.
You don't have to watch it all, but I felt like, in this one section, Peter makes a solid point. 18:00 to 19:18.
NSFW for language:
When people ask me what I think we should do my answer is always collectivize, to work together, to cooperate. And you know why? Because there's never going to be one single answer for what we should do, but there's always going to be people who are willing to listen to you who care about you and who care about the world itself. If those people get together and talk about what they can do individually and collectively in their local area and connect with more and more people doing the exact same thing, then you know what happens? Exactly what fucking happened on the right except for the opposite.
That's what they did. That's what this is. It's not because somebody gave them a fucking platform, it's because they know how to talk to people. It's because they know how to express like they care about someone and they may care about someone.
They may seriously genuinely believe that the great replacement is happening and that all of this shit is going down because of immigrants. They might sincerely believe that; the low-level people do sincerely believe that. But let me tell you... we aren't even fucking trying to do that. We're trying to point at who is bad and say they're bad.
Old 03-20-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Because in chaotic situations occasionally the actual facts don't come out until later? I haven't dug into this particular situation but you'll also have situations where a police spokesperson at one location makes a statement based on the information they have but they aren't aware of what is going on at another location. Or perhaps people were detained who they thought might be involved but they were soon released when it was discovered they weren't, but the release wasn't made as public as the detainment was. Or maybe someone in the crowd shoved a cop and they got arrested for it and it was accidentally wrapped into the shooting.

I've seen this firsthand when covering the news. In general, journalists don't just make things up. A source tells them and they report as such and then that gets picked up and after a game of telephone happens, 4 people have been arrested.
Exactly, I thought this was commonly known.
Old 03-20-19, 03:34 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I am certainly aware, but “Four arrested in terror mass murder conspiracy” when it was just one dude may set a record for inaccuracy.
Old 03-20-19, 03:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ Did any news outlets actually put it that way? I think they were likely a lot more cautious with their language.
Old 03-20-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People were demanding to know how the shooter got his guns before a day had passed.
Old 03-20-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, really. The point is, if a big news story is just breaking, reporting is going to be very chaotic and fluid at first, you can't go by the initial headlines on how many people died, were arrested, etc. All news sources eventually update their headlines as stories develop, no need to worry about any record of inaccuracy.
Old 03-20-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, really. The point is, if a big news story is just breaking, reporting is going to be very chaotic and fluid at first, you can't go by the initial headlines on how many people died, were arrested, etc. All news sources eventually update their headlines as stories develop, no need to worry about any record of inaccuracy.
And most journalists are careful to basically say "this is what we've been told right now". Which may or may not end up being accurate. It would be difficult to find an exact moment when NOW it's time to start talking about what's happening as police are racing around and people are running for their lives. You can't stand there and say "we are going to wait until the police spokesperson comes over here to talk to us".
Old 03-20-19, 10:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Well New Zealand banned assault rifles and semi automatic weapons as you do.
Old 03-20-19, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
How did they get that through the NRA?
Oh, yeah, right.
Old 03-21-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
How did they get that through the NRA?
Oh, yeah, right.
How will they hunt without AR-15s? Is that even possible??
Old 03-21-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good luck when they're awakened at night by a group of 15 burglars breaking into their home.
Old 03-21-19, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This piece of garbage will never see the light of day again. What makes me burn with rage is that that Breivik cockroach will likely get out in 14 years.
Old 03-21-19, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
This piece of garbage will never see the light of day again. What makes me burn with rage is that that Breivik cockroach will likely get out in 14 years.
He probably won't. A Norwegian court can only hand out a maximum sentence of 21 years, but at the end of that time, they can reasses whether or not to extend the sentence.

https://www.thejournal.ie/21-years-b...70722-Aug2012/

Old 03-21-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is what a sane country does, not just throw up their hands and say "Oh well, nothing we can do about it", even if it was a bunch of little kids shot and killed.
Old 03-21-19, 09:48 AM

So this is what leadership for the people looks like, huh? Bravo to them. Very amazing thing to do.
Old 03-21-19, 10:05 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Yup and a buyback of guns with an amnesty. Seems like all the sense in the world.

Australia did it after their mass shooting, and now NZ
Old 03-21-19, 10:19 AM

Yup and a buyback of guns with an amnesty. Seems like all the sense in the world.

Australia did it after their mass shooting, and now NZ
It is just infuriating to see it done so swiftly with ease. And all we hear about is thoughts and prayers. Probably will hear it again in two weeks or something, which is a shame to say.
Old 03-21-19, 12:14 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with you dex.. 100%

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.