Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 01-11-18, 09:40 AM
  #1426  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,741
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Be the change you want to see in the world.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 09:44 AM
  #1427  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,906
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

So the AT&T wage increases and the other ones were never posted here? Carrier keeping jobs in America was never posted here? Please.
Timber is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 09:49 AM
  #1428  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,929
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
It would never had been posted here, that was my point. Maybe we need a separate thread about good economic news?

Wages going up, tax cuts of $2000 to lower/middle income families (how many times have I read negative posts like: That's only $5 a day! It's not worth the trouble!). It's not all bad news out there.
Is a $2 raise at Walmart Presidential news? Your defense of the president (and racists in the other thread) is so half-assed. Why bother? You don’t have to stand up for these people because they’re adjacent to a party you feel some loyalty to.
majorjoe23 is online now  
Old 01-11-18, 09:55 AM
  #1429  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,273
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
There are millions of gullible people who were conned by his act, and it's easier for them to deny the fact they were conned and instead live in an alternate reality where Trump is actually some mastermind pulling the strings in such a clever way that only they can notice it.
People went to their graves believing that if only Charles Ponzi hadn't been imprisoned for fraud, he would have paid them those promised returns.

We all get fooled sometimes. The important thing is to admit it and then move on.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:08 AM
  #1430  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Is a $2 raise at Walmart Presidential news? Your defense of the president (and racists in the other thread) is so half-assed. Why bother? You don’t have to stand up for these people because they’re adjacent to a party you feel some loyalty to.
Walmart directly cited the tax reform as the reason for the increase.

And at least you answered my question whether the high school kids were just joking or were actually racists.
PerryD is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:13 AM
  #1431  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,422
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Walmart directly cited the tax reform as the reason for the increase.
Bully for them. You're a fool if you believe that. No large corporation ever voluntarily chose to pay more for an input (and rest assured, Walmart views labor as an input) simply because its taxes went down. This was 100% a response to market forces. Simply put, between rising minimum wages in many states and competition from other employers, Walmart had no choice but to raise wages.

Think of it this way. You go to a restaurant to buy a nice dinner. The waiter asks if you'd like to pay $10 or $11. Which do you say?

Now you get a tax break. You have more money in your pocket. The waiter asks if you'd like to pay $10 or $11. Now which do you say?
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:15 AM
  #1432  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,197
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

It's like taking a loan to buy a new TV. Sorry, I don't get excited over that.
Psi is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:16 AM
  #1433  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
covenant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,896
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
whether the high school kids were just joking or were actually racists.
covenant is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:18 AM
  #1434  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,768
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Walmart directly cited the tax reform as the reason for the increase.
There's literally zero chance Walmart raised wages out of the kindness of their hearts due to getting tax breaks. How can you even begin to believe that to be true?
Noonan is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:19 AM
  #1435  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,741
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Bully for them. You're a fool if you believe that. No large corporation ever voluntarily chose to pay more for an input (and rest assured, Walmart views labor as an input) simply because its taxes went down. This was 100% a response to market forces. Simply put, between rising minimum wages in many states and competition from other employers, Walmart had no choice but to raise wages.

Think of it this way. You go to a restaurant to buy a nice dinner. The waiter asks if you'd like to pay $10 or $11. Which do you say?

Now you get a tax break. You have more money in your pocket. The waiter asks if you'd like to pay $10 or $11. Now which do you say?
When AT&T handed out bonuses they proudly proclaimed the tax increase as the reason, but they, along with the administration and supporters here, were largely quiet when the subsequent layoffs were announced. If only it had been a bigger tax break...
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:26 AM
  #1436  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

so the option after a massive corporate tax cut would be to pocket the billions of dollars and pass it directly to CEOs and shareholders which would fit the narrative of evil republicans. Or they could pass it to their employees through higher wages, large bonuses, and infrastructure investments which is what dozens of companies have announced. I've always supported the corporate tax cut (but I never supported lowering the top tax bracket), so I do think these announcements have been better than I would have expected in such a short time. But that makes me pro-Trump and a racist.
PerryD is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:29 AM
  #1437  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,768
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
so the option after a massive corporate tax cut would be to pocket the billions of dollars and pass it directly to CEOs and shareholders which would fit the narrative of evil republicans. Or they could pass it to their employees through higher wages, large bonuses, and infrastructure investments which is what dozens of companies have announced. I've always supported the corporate tax cut (but I never supported lowering the top tax bracket), so I do think these announcements have been better than I would have expected in such a short time. But that makes me pro-Trump and a racist.
Really? How'd that work out with the bank bail-out? How many of them used the money as it was intended rather than paying out massive bonuses to their execs?
Noonan is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:32 AM
  #1438  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Really? How'd that work out with the bank bail-out? How many of them used the money as it was intended rather than paying out massive bonuses to their execs?
Okay, that is a good point. That was even more obscene since many of them should have been put in jail instead of rewarded as too big to fail.
PerryD is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:33 AM
  #1439  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,768
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

I get that some of the banks didn't want the bailout to begin with but they still didn't use the money to help people and raise consumer confidence in the market, as it was intended. Instead they just gave it all away and continued to be very strict on loans.
Noonan is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 10:34 AM
  #1440  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 8,620
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm not a fan of David Brooks, but he makes some good points in his op-ed here...
That pretty much summarizes how most people I know feel about David Brooks.
story is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:04 AM
  #1441  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,196
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

It was announced today that both Sam's Clubs in our area are closing. It looks like several others around the country are doing the same. Maybe this happy raises/tax cut story is meant to offset this bad news for hundreds/thousands other other employees of the company.
Tommy_Harn is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:13 AM
  #1442  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,039
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by story View Post
That pretty much summarizes how most people I know feel about David Brooks.
You know how most people you know feels about David Brooks? I don't know how anyone I know feel about David Brooks.
cungar is online now  
Old 01-11-18, 11:14 AM
  #1443  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,422
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
so the option after a massive corporate tax cut would be to pocket the billions of dollars and pass it directly to CEOs and shareholders which would fit the narrative of evil republicans. Or they could pass it to their employees through higher wages, large bonuses, and infrastructure investments which is what dozens of companies have announced. I've always supported the corporate tax cut (but I never supported lowering the top tax bracket), so I do think these announcements have been better than I would have expected in such a short time. But that makes me pro-Trump and a racist.
I will 100% guarantee that Walmart is looking to maximize its profits, and therefore shareholder value. Period. The end. Nothing more.

Now, if you can explain to me how paying a lower tax rate means that Walmart's profits go up when they give their employees a raise, I'm happy to listen to it. But there is no way on God's Green Earth that Walmart's CFO came into the CEO's office and said "Hey, now that our taxes are lower, what should we do with these extra profits? Personally, I think we should be kind-hearted to our employees and give the money to them for no reason other than to be nice."
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:14 AM
  #1444  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,692
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn View Post
It was announced today that both Sam's Clubs in our area are closing. It looks like several others around the country are doing the same. Maybe this happy raises/tax cut story is meant to offset this bad news for hundreds/thousands other other employees of the company.
Have to pay for the raises somehow!
Kurt D is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:22 AM
  #1445  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 32,602
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
You know how most people you know feels about David Brooks?
Yes. Duh.

(I'm not being facetious or sarcastic at all, FWIW.)
wendersfan is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:24 AM
  #1446  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,273
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I will 100% guarantee that Walmart is looking to maximize its profits, and therefore shareholder value. Period. The end. Nothing more.

Now, if you can explain to me how paying a lower tax rate means that Walmart's profits go up when they give their employees a raise, I'm happy to listen to it. But there is no way on God's Green Earth that Walmart's CFO came into the CEO's office and said "Hey, now that our taxes are lower, what should we do with these extra profits? Personally, I think we should be kind-hearted to our employees and give the money to them for no reason other than to be nice."
Part of maintaining profitability in today's world is having a good corporate image. If someone at the Walmart corporate offices was able to show that raising retail wages would give them a long-term benefit in consumer goodwill, they would probably do it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Child-Lab...shops/43911051
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:26 AM
  #1447  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 19,990
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn View Post
It was announced today that both Sam's Clubs in our area are closing. It looks like several others around the country are doing the same. Maybe this happy raises/tax cut story is meant to offset this bad news for hundreds/thousands other other employees of the company.
Looks like 2 or 3 are shut down in the Houston area, too. Maybe more.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:29 AM
  #1448  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Part of maintaining profitability in today's world is having a good corporate image. If someone at the Walmart corporate offices was able to show that raising retail wages would give them a long-term benefit in consumer goodwill, they would probably do it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Child-Lab...shops/43911051
That’s undercut by all the other ways Wal-Mart treats their employees though.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:30 AM
  #1449  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,768
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Part of maintaining profitability in today's world is having a good corporate image. If someone at the Walmart corporate offices was able to show that raising retail wages would give them a long-term benefit in consumer goodwill, they would probably do it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Child-Lab...shops/43911051
Walmart isn't a company that relies on consumer good will. Everyone knows they treat people like garbage...I don't see their sales hurting much.
Noonan is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 11:33 AM
  #1450  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,383
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
When AT&T handed out bonuses they proudly proclaimed the tax increase as the reason, but they, along with the administration and supporters here, were largely quiet when the subsequent layoffs were announced. If only it had been a bigger tax break...
Plus, everyone knows it's good business strategy to prop up Trump's ego, so they might as well give him credit for something even if he had nothing to do with it. Who knows, it might even help your big merger being reviewed by the DOJ.
davidh777 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.