Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 01-11-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Be the change you want to see in the world.
Old 01-11-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

So the AT&T wage increases and the other ones were never posted here? Carrier keeping jobs in America was never posted here? Please.
Old 01-11-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
It would never had been posted here, that was my point. Maybe we need a separate thread about good economic news?

Wages going up, tax cuts of $2000 to lower/middle income families (how many times have I read negative posts like: That's only $5 a day! It's not worth the trouble!). It's not all bad news out there.
Is a $2 raise at Walmart Presidential news? Your defense of the president (and racists in the other thread) is so half-assed. Why bother? You don’t have to stand up for these people because they’re adjacent to a party you feel some loyalty to.
Old 01-11-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
There are millions of gullible people who were conned by his act, and it's easier for them to deny the fact they were conned and instead live in an alternate reality where Trump is actually some mastermind pulling the strings in such a clever way that only they can notice it.
People went to their graves believing that if only Charles Ponzi hadn't been imprisoned for fraud, he would have paid them those promised returns.

We all get fooled sometimes. The important thing is to admit it and then move on.
Old 01-11-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Is a $2 raise at Walmart Presidential news? Your defense of the president (and racists in the other thread) is so half-assed. Why bother? You don’t have to stand up for these people because they’re adjacent to a party you feel some loyalty to.
Walmart directly cited the tax reform as the reason for the increase.

And at least you answered my question whether the high school kids were just joking or were actually racists.
Old 01-11-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bully for them. You're a fool if you believe that. No large corporation ever voluntarily chose to pay more for an input (and rest assured, Walmart views labor as an input) simply because its taxes went down. This was 100% a response to market forces. Simply put, between rising minimum wages in many states and competition from other employers, Walmart had no choice but to raise wages.

Think of it this way. You go to a restaurant to buy a nice dinner. The waiter asks if you'd like to pay $10 or $11. Which do you say?

Now you get a tax break. You have more money in your pocket. The waiter asks if you'd like to pay $10 or $11. Now which do you say?
Old 01-11-18, 10:15 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's like taking a loan to buy a new TV. Sorry, I don't get excited over that.
Old 01-11-18, 10:16 AM

whether the high school kids were just joking or were actually racists.
Old 01-11-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's literally zero chance Walmart raised wages out of the kindness of their hearts due to getting tax breaks. How can you even begin to believe that to be true?
Old 01-11-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Bully for them. You're a fool if you believe that. No large corporation ever voluntarily chose to pay more for an input (and rest assured, Walmart views labor as an input) simply because its taxes went down. This was 100% a response to market forces. Simply put, between rising minimum wages in many states and competition from other employers, Walmart had no choice but to raise wages.

Think of it this way. You go to a restaurant to buy a nice dinner. The waiter asks if you'd like to pay $10 or $11. Which do you say?

Now you get a tax break. You have more money in your pocket. The waiter asks if you'd like to pay $10 or $11. Now which do you say?
When AT&T handed out bonuses they proudly proclaimed the tax increase as the reason, but they, along with the administration and supporters here, were largely quiet when the subsequent layoffs were announced. If only it had been a bigger tax break...
Old 01-11-18, 10:26 AM

so the option after a massive corporate tax cut would be to pocket the billions of dollars and pass it directly to CEOs and shareholders which would fit the narrative of evil republicans. Or they could pass it to their employees through higher wages, large bonuses, and infrastructure investments which is what dozens of companies have announced. I've always supported the corporate tax cut (but I never supported lowering the top tax bracket), so I do think these announcements have been better than I would have expected in such a short time. But that makes me pro-Trump and a racist.
Old 01-11-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so the option after a massive corporate tax cut would be to pocket the billions of dollars and pass it directly to CEOs and shareholders which would fit the narrative of evil republicans. Or they could pass it to their employees through higher wages, large bonuses, and infrastructure investments which is what dozens of companies have announced. I've always supported the corporate tax cut (but I never supported lowering the top tax bracket), so I do think these announcements have been better than I would have expected in such a short time. But that makes me pro-Trump and a racist.
Really? How'd that work out with the bank bail-out? How many of them used the money as it was intended rather than paying out massive bonuses to their execs?
Old 01-11-18, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Really? How'd that work out with the bank bail-out? How many of them used the money as it was intended rather than paying out massive bonuses to their execs?
Okay, that is a good point. That was even more obscene since many of them should have been put in jail instead of rewarded as too big to fail.
Old 01-11-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get that some of the banks didn't want the bailout to begin with but they still didn't use the money to help people and raise consumer confidence in the market, as it was intended. Instead they just gave it all away and continued to be very strict on loans.
Old 01-11-18, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm not a fan of David Brooks, but he makes some good points in his op-ed here...
That pretty much summarizes how most people I know feel about David Brooks.
Old 01-11-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was announced today that both Sam's Clubs in our area are closing. It looks like several others around the country are doing the same. Maybe this happy raises/tax cut story is meant to offset this bad news for hundreds/thousands other other employees of the company.
Old 01-11-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
That pretty much summarizes how most people I know feel about David Brooks.
You know how most people you know feels about David Brooks? I don't know how anyone I know feel about David Brooks.
Old 01-11-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I will 100% guarantee that Walmart is looking to maximize its profits, and therefore shareholder value. Period. The end. Nothing more.

Now, if you can explain to me how paying a lower tax rate means that Walmart's profits go up when they give their employees a raise, I'm happy to listen to it. But there is no way on God's Green Earth that Walmart's CFO came into the CEO's office and said "Hey, now that our taxes are lower, what should we do with these extra profits? Personally, I think we should be kind-hearted to our employees and give the money to them for no reason other than to be nice."
Old 01-11-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn View Post
It was announced today that both Sam's Clubs in our area are closing. It looks like several others around the country are doing the same. Maybe this happy raises/tax cut story is meant to offset this bad news for hundreds/thousands other other employees of the company.
Have to pay for the raises somehow!
Old 01-11-18, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
You know how most people you know feels about David Brooks?
Yes. Duh.

(I'm not being facetious or sarcastic at all, FWIW.)
Old 01-11-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I will 100% guarantee that Walmart is looking to maximize its profits, and therefore shareholder value. Period. The end. Nothing more.

Now, if you can explain to me how paying a lower tax rate means that Walmart's profits go up when they give their employees a raise, I'm happy to listen to it. But there is no way on God's Green Earth that Walmart's CFO came into the CEO's office and said "Hey, now that our taxes are lower, what should we do with these extra profits? Personally, I think we should be kind-hearted to our employees and give the money to them for no reason other than to be nice."
Part of maintaining profitability in today's world is having a good corporate image. If someone at the Walmart corporate offices was able to show that raising retail wages would give them a long-term benefit in consumer goodwill, they would probably do it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Child-Lab...shops/43911051
Old 01-11-18, 11:26 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn View Post
Looks like 2 or 3 are shut down in the Houston area, too. Maybe more.
Old 01-11-18, 11:29 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Part of maintaining profitability in today's world is having a good corporate image. If someone at the Walmart corporate offices was able to show that raising retail wages would give them a long-term benefit in consumer goodwill, they would probably do it.

That’s undercut by all the other ways Wal-Mart treats their employees though.
Old 01-11-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

Walmart isn't a company that relies on consumer good will. Everyone knows they treat people like garbage...I don't see their sales hurting much.
Old 01-11-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
When AT&T handed out bonuses they proudly proclaimed the tax increase as the reason, but they, along with the administration and supporters here, were largely quiet when the subsequent layoffs were announced. If only it had been a bigger tax break...
Plus, everyone knows it's good business strategy to prop up Trump's ego, so they might as well give him credit for something even if he had nothing to do with it. Who knows, it might even help your big merger being reviewed by the DOJ.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.