Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: How angry are you at Donald Trump and the GOP?
10 (Incredible Hulk)
36.59%
9.76%
12.20%
2.44%
0%
2.44%
0%
0%
4.88%
2.44%
0 (No anger)
29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

How angry are you at Donald Trump and the GOP?

Old 11-05-17, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How angry are you at Donald Trump and the GOP?

In newspapers and throughout the "chattering classes," there has been a lot of talk about the anger of Trump supporters. Well, there is also a lot of anger among Trump opponents -- and with good reason.

Watching Trump lie, trample over democratic norms, and avoid accountability day after day is infuriating. Trump is a wannabe dictator and a scumbag, and just about the only Republicans willing to stand up to him are ones who are retiring or terminally ill. The GOP as a whole is complicit and has enabled his behavior. The party is also pushing unpopular legislation that few Americans approve of, and it is sabotaging the ACA (aka Obamacare) and acting in direct opposition to the established missions of many federal departments.

How angry are you at Trump and the GOP? I'm at about 8 on a scale of 10. If Trump and/or his lackeys attempt to end the Russia investigation, I will hit 10. Some people may hit 10 for entirely different reasons.

Scoff if you want, but I have no doubt that if Trump continues along this authoritarian path, his actions will result in a strong reaction. By no means am I calling for violence, but more aggressive, unconventional action (e.g. civil disobedience) will be called for if Trump continues to cross lines. I'm not going to take it lying down, and I imagine that I won't be the only one.
Old 11-05-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How angry are you at Donald Trump and the GOP?

Old 11-05-17, 12:19 AM

Old 11-05-17, 12:23 AM

Old 11-05-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Best scene to capture the hulk in the whole franchise, IMHO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qe8IY41zyCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-05-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As angry as I permit myself to get without getting my blood pressure in an uproar over the fact that no matter how pissed I get, nothing will fucking change as long as there are people in this country stupid enough to vote for Trump.
Old 11-05-17, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not really angry. Just tired and disappointed in humanity.
Old 11-05-17, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember waking up hungover as fuck the day after he won the election. I did not drink the night before.
Old 11-05-17, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Angry enough to change a life-long party affiliation and become a Democrat, which I did in 2016.
Old 11-05-17, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Angry enough to change a life-long party affiliation and become a Democrat, which I did in 2016.
I consider myself independent(voted nearly 50/50 until this election) but lean closer to Democratic. At this point it will be decades before I ever vote for a Republican again.
Old 11-05-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

at the point where in the mid terms I'm going to be like some of the Trump voters "I don't really know anything about the other guy but I like them more that the Republican candidate"
Old 11-05-17, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
The GOP as a whole is complicit and has enabled his behavior. The party is also pushing unpopular legislation that few Americans approve of, and it is sabotaging the ACA (aka Obamacare) and acting in direct opposition to the established missions of many federal departments.

How angry are you at Trump and the GOP? I'm at about 8 on a scale of 10. If Trump and/or his lackeys attempt to end the Russia investigation, I will hit 10. Some people may hit 10 for entirely different reasons.
The GOP, yeah, but I'm not THAT surprised. The Russian stuff though, I can't believe they'd sell us out on that one. But other than that, it's typical of a party to support their guy or gal, as long as that person is still politically viable.

I'm more upset with Republican voters and conservatives in general.
Ben Shapiro for example, claims to be critical of Trump but you wouldn't know it from listening to him, because he doesn't want to lose his audience.

A few of his supporters that I know personally, ignore or claim not to know about the Russian collusion allegations, but were the first ones to tell me how Obama slipped up about his "real" religion on Bill O'Reilly, or how Hillary was dying and she's covering up her health issues.

During the W. administration Republicans were against France for not supporting the invasion of Iraq, and many Republican commentators questioned the patriotism of those against the war ("why do you hate America?"). Obama himself was accused of not being American, I think it was by Rudy Guiliani. Trump though, praises Vladimir Putin, makes excuses for him ("You think our country's so innocent?") and seems to be in his pocket, and these same conservatives think Trump is great, Putin too!.

Last edited by brayzie; 11-05-17 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Just tired and disappointed in humanity.
This one.
Old 11-05-17, 09:52 AM

I think he's an arrogant jerk but I don't believe much of what the media says about anyone. I'm a registered independent but I don't feel that the people who work for a living should pay higher taxes to support those who choose not to work. I could never bring myself to vote for a Democrat.
Old 11-05-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I think he's an arrogant jerk but I don't believe much of what the media says about anyone. I'm a registered independent but I don't feel that the people who work for a living should pay higher taxes to support those who choose not to work. I could never bring myself to vote for a Democrat.
News Flash : You're not an independent.
Old 11-05-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 11-05-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Given that the Republicans have been beating the drum for decades on claims of smaller government, balanced budgets, more personal freedom, and more recently repealing Obamacare, and have failed to deliver on any of those things and often voting against them, I can't see how the party can be taken seriously.

I'm not angry at President Trump or the GOP, but I am greatly disappointed that so many voted for them in spite of their track record.
Old 11-05-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm furious. I've been an independent all my life, voting split tickets. Since Trump was nominated, I've only voted Democrat. Those Republican bastards need to be punished.

I disliked Trump immediately because I recognized his type: a sarcastic bully who won't keep his word. Then he started sucking up to neo-Nazis. I thought that at least there might be benefits in foreign policy from having a tough, crooked man as president, but no, he's too incompetent for that.

I'm angry at the GOP because the only thing they have done to stand against Trump was to protect Meuller's investigation. It took a hostile foreign power meddling in our election before they said, "Whoa, enough."
Old 11-05-17, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
News Flash : You're not an independent.
I usually vote for independents, Green Party or Libertarians, but have voted for some Republicans. I did not vote for Trump.
Old 11-05-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I didn’t vote for the guy, I dislike everything about him, but he registers about a 2 with me.

Some people just internalize and get so upset.
Old 11-05-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I didnít vote for the guy, I dislike everything about him, but he registers about a 2 with me.

Some people just internalize and get so upset.
What would it take for a politician to make you angry? Standing in line with you and being from out of town?
Old 11-05-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
What would it take for a politician to make you angry? Standing in line with you and being from out of town?
Old 11-05-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Not really angry. Just tired and disappointed in humanity.
Yeah.
Old 11-05-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I usually vote for independents, Green Party or Libertarians, but have voted for some Republicans. I did not vote for Trump.
From the Green Party platform (http://www.gp.org/social_justice_2016/#sjEconJustive):

C. Economic Justice / Social Safety Net
The passage of the 1996 Welfare Act by Congress and its signing by the President confronts us with hard choices. Democrats and Republicans seem to be saying the country cannot afford to care for children and poor mothers. In ending over fifty years of federal policy guaranteeing cash assistance for poor children, Congress has set in motion a radical experiment that will have a profound impact on the lives of the weakest members of our society. How will state, city and county governments, local communities, businesses and religious institutions ó all of us ó respond?

We have a special responsibility to the health and wellbeing of the young. Yet we see the federal safety net being removed and replaced with limited and potentially harsh state welfare programs. How will social services be adequately provided if local resources are already stretched thin?

We believe our community priorities must first protect the young and helpless. Yet how will state legislatures and agencies, under pressure from more powerful interests, react? We believe local decision-making is important, but we realize, as we learned during the civil rights era, that strict federal standards must guide state actions in providing basic protections. As the richest nation in history, we should not condemn millions of children to a life of poverty, while corporate welfare is increased to historic highs.

The Green Party opposes the privatization of Social Security. It is critical that the public protections of Social Security are not privatized and subjected to increased risk. The bottom 20% of American senior citizens get roughly 80% of their income from Social Security, and without Social Security, nearly 70% of black elderly and 60% of Latino elderly households would be in poverty.

D. Welfare: A Commitment to Ending Poverty
An unjust society is an unsustainable society. When communities are stressed by poverty, violence and despair, our ability to meet the challenges of the post industrial age are critically impaired. A holistic, future-focused perspective on how we distribute resources in this country would consider the effects of such distribution not just on our present needs, but on the seventh generation to come.

It is time for a radical shift in our attitude toward support for families, children, the poor and the disabled. Such support must not be given grudgingly; it is the right of those presently in need and an investment in our future. We must take an uncompromising position that the care and nurture of children, elders and the disabled are essential to a healthy, peaceful, and sustainable society. We should recognize that the work of their caregivers is of social and economic value, and reward it accordingly. Ensuring that children and their caregivers have access to an adequate, secure standard of living should form the cornerstone of our economic priorities. Only then can we hope to build our future on a foundation of healthy, educated children who are raised in an atmosphere of love and security.

All people have a right to food, housing, medical care, jobs that pay a living wage, education, and support in times of hardship.

Work performed outside the monetary system has inherent social and economic value, and is essential to a healthy, sustainable economy and peaceful communities. Such work includes: child and elder care; homemaking; voluntary community service; continuing education; participating in government; and the arts.

We call for restoration of a federally funded entitlement program to support children, families, the unemployed, elderly and disabled, with no time limit on benefits.

This program should be funded through the existing welfare budget, reductions in military spending and corporate subsidies, and a fair, progressive income tax.

We call for a graduated supplemental income, or negative income tax, that would maintain all individual adult incomes above the poverty level, regardless of employment or marital status.

We advocate reinvesting a significant portion of the military budget into family support, living-wage job development, and work training programs. Publicly funded work training and education programs should have a goal of increasing employment options at finding living-wage jobs.

We support public funding for the development of living-wage jobs in community and environmental service. For example, environmental clean-up, recycling, sustainable agriculture and food production, sustainable forest management, repair and maintenance of public facilities, neighborhood-based public safety, aides in schools, libraries and childcare centers, and construction and renovation of energy-efficient housing. We oppose enterprise zone giveaways, which benefit corporations more than inner-city communities.

The accumulation of individual wealth in the U.S. has reached grossly unbalanced proportions. It is clear that we cannot rely on the rich to regulate their profit-making excesses for the good of society through "trickle-down economics." We must take aggressive steps to restore a fair distribution of income. We support tax incentives for businesses that apply fair employee wage distribution standards, and income tax policies that restrict the accumulation of excessive individual wealth.

Forcing welfare recipients to accept jobs that pay wages below a living wage drives wages down and exploits workers for private profit at public expense. We reject workfare as being a form of indentured servitude.

Corporations receiving public subsidies must provide jobs that pay a living wage, observe basic workers' rights, and agree to affirmative action policies.
They also support free college education at public universities and vocational schools.

The Green Party is generally to the left of mainstream Democrats. I can not reconcile your (silly) statement about not paying for those who refuse to work and your support of Green Party candidates.
Old 11-05-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m more upset with his die hard supporters. Trump is a weak little man suffering from mental illness. There’s no excuse for those who support (ie. do nothing to stop) his dangerous behaviors.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.