Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

7 Shot At Nashville Church; One Dead

Old 09-24-17, 09:10 PM
Banned

7 Shot At Nashville Church; One Dead

Heard about this tonight at church. Was going to post but saw this posted in another thread with no comments yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.b1825b013b72

Some have expressed fears of increased attacks upon churches in the future. Some churches are increasing security as a result.

Since last year's local shooting rampage by a BLM supporter that resulted in several being wounded and the death of a young mother (leaving a widowed husband and motherless ten-year-old behind) went practically unnoticed, thought this deserved its own thread.

Given the animosity expressed by many toward religion (such as posters here who have stated unequivocally that they "hate all religious people"), incidents such as this one are alarming.
Old 09-24-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 7 Shot At Nashville Church; One Dead

Very sad. Sounds like a church attendee lost it.
Old 09-24-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad news. The last place people should be in fear of their lives is at church. My condolences to the family of the lady that lost her life and best wishes for the rest that were injured.
Old 09-24-17, 11:52 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Heard about this tonight at church. Was going to post but saw this posted in another thread with no comments yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.b1825b013b72

Some have expressed fears of increased attacks upon churches in the future. Some churches are increasing security as a result.

Since last year's local shooting rampage by a BLM supporter that resulted in several being wounded and the death of a young mother (leaving a widowed husband and motherless ten-year-old behind) went practically unnoticed, thought this deserved its own thread.

Given the animosity expressed by many toward religion (such as posters here who have stated unequivocally that they "hate all religious people"), incidents such as this one are alarming.
Given that the shooter attended services at the church, perhaps this isn’t a case of some atheist religion hater, especially since the authorities have not discussed the shooter’s motives.

What has been discussed have been the motives of several white supremacists who have attacked people of color, including at their churches, but you have made it very clear that you would vigorously defend the rights of white supremacists.
Old 09-25-17, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The last place people should be in fear of their lives is at church.
What makes you say that?
Old 09-25-17, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh so you thought this deserved it own thread and not the "clean cut" white guy that murder two black people last week. Or the other white guy that murdered 8 people a week or so ago in Texas. Given your racist posts and posts like yours these instances are alarming because people like you seem to only care if white person is being murdered by dark skin person.

You think it is going to become a trend to shoot up churches because a BLM supporter from last year shot up a church? What does that situation have to do with this situation? Did this shooter go around with a BLM shirt? Even if he did why would that make him more likely to shoot up a church? Why did you even put that he was a member of BLM, everyone should be. Are you one of those people that say BLM is a terrorist organization?

Why did you use a person that attacked a church and killed one person instead of the one that killed 9 people? Was it because Dylan Roof was white and his victims black?

None of these questions are serious since I already know the answer to them.
Old 09-25-17, 05:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
None of these questions are serious since I already know the answer to them.
That begs the question: If you knew the answers, why did you ask?

Here we have a tragic incident...a fact that has been acknowledged with compassion by several early posters who are staunch supporters of liberal causes and demonstrating their humanity. One would think we could agree on that much.

So I'm not going to make any flippant comments with respect to those who prefer to make it about other posters (and about themselves) without offering an ounce of compassion other than to note the misplaced focus.

And what made you conclude that the victims were white? If you have information not listed in the article, post it. For someone who likes to accuse others of racism, that's a pretty racist conclusion to draw. Black shooter must mean white victims?

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-25-17 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 06:18 AM
Banned

Draven has commented that the person attended services at the church. Unless there is additional information available, the article notes that the shooter had attended some services in the past. Just to be clear, it didn't say that he was a member, a regular attendee, or even someone who had recently attended services. As to his motives, those are still unclear.

"The Baron's" post ought to make it clear why the incident deserved its own thread. He mistakenly thinks the incident last year with the BLM supporter happened inside a church; it actually took place on a local parkway. His unfamiliarity with the incident indicates the lack of coverage (most church shootings get much wider press).

I never mentioned the race of the shooter in either murder; The Baron himself did that. In contrast to those of us who have expressed sympathy for victims regardless of skin color (and despite being mocked for "only" offering prayers), we did not make personal accusations against those posters for failing to express any condolences for victims of those shootings or accuse them of "only caring about black victims when shot by white people." Or say, "You don't care when white women are shot by black men." Or something equally divisive and driven by personal animosities so often on display in these pages.

Those murders mentioned by The Baron either already have their own thread(s) (as with the Charleston murders) or were immediately reported in ongoing threads or in "attacks upon minorities" thread. It's often said that "Christians" aren't under any threat and that "Black Lives Matter" supporters haven't murdered anyone; evidently, distinct threads may be needed to make sure that those incidents are noted.

Since the BLM-supporter murder took place fifteen miles from where I live, it seems likely that other such incidents take place elsewhere that get little more than local coverage. It's highly unlikely that it's an isolated incident that just coincidentally happened to take place in my backyard.

Likewise, it's likely that more attacks upon churches are taking place than are widely reported (just a couple of years ago, a pastor in Knoxville was killed in his church). And the violence isn't always political, of course...sometimes it's a personal or domestic motive. And sometimes it's a liberal church that is attacked, or the motive may be racial as with Charleston.

Speaking of the last incident which not only received weeks' worth of national/international coverage and televised funeral services with national dignitaries, that incident had individual threads and coverage which continues to be updated with sentencing reports, etc. To ask why that incident isn't posted again while an incident that happened just yesterday is reported is incredible.

In the designated "race" discussion thread in which the Nashville church shooting was first reported yesterday, Franchot has just posted this link detailing 18 church shootings over the past 11 years:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...sive-list.html

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-25-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 07:35 AM
Banned

Sad these folks were attacked in a place they feel so comfortable.

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
I did not make personal accusations against those posters for failing to express any condolences for victims of those shootings.
Good thing too, considering that somebody failed to express any personal condolences in the SC thread.

Let's see, first post in that thread was:

"Since the accounts (including the one from grundle you quoted) said that the killer was able to reload his one gun five times, not sure what more damage he could have done with two guns unless he ran out of ammunition.

One interesting detail that would be more appropriately addressed later (if not in another thread) is the repeated use of the term black church (and related terms) by everyone from the POTUS to the media. Since most U.S. churches with primarily black congregations identify as Christians, the term may express a descriptive fact regarding the racial makeup of those particular churches, but it seems in modern times to be the antithesis of Christian doctrine of equality of races. Not sure if I've heard of any other Christian churches identified by race. I've heard of nationalities mentioned re: Christian churches within specific national boundaries ("Chinese Christians", the Korean church, etc.), but that had more to do with geographic location. I have heard of churches made up of specific ethnic or national groups in the U.S., but not generic "Asian" churches, etc. Maybe there are "Latino" churches made up of Spanish-speaking congregants?
Just seems odd to divide churches into racial groups."

Hmmm, no condolences. Sure picks up on the Black thing though. Are any of you surprised?

Then the next post from the following day:

"???
Unless new info. has come out today, numerous media outlets yesterday/last night were reporting that he allowed on woman to stay alive to tell what had happened (at least one report said that he told her he planned to kill himself), and the other two survivors played dead. So it seems that he had every opportunity to kill all three with the one gun he had."

Hmmm, no condolences.

Then he goes on about "turn the other cheek", "eye for an eye", that Jesus certainly lashed out at hypocrites, tiresome media comments, that Sec. Clinton needs to be held accountable if a female is incensed by the "War on Women" talk & crowns a chauvinist over the head with a slow cooker, peoples spelling, "not being hypocritical", asks what do you say to those whose ancestors were oppressed by the U.S. government (and who, in many cases, still live with the effects of those past actions), Confederate flag, the U.S. has oppressed many groups but that it has also done much good (and the good at least balances out or more likely outweighs the bad), and whined that he should be debated the way he wants to be debated.

Then someone posted "Meanwhile another black church has been torched. Does that make 7 in as many days? Surely, it's just a coincidence, how many white churches have burned lately? None? Ok... "

Yes or no. Do you think the coward posted in the thread again, let alone gave condolences to the dead?

"what do you say to those whose ancestors were oppressed by the U.S. government (and who, in many cases, still live with the effects of those past actions)"

YOU BETTER NOT KNEEL!!!

EDIT: Took me a bit to type it up, but what I quoted is exactly what was originally there.
Old 09-25-17, 07:49 AM
Admin-Thanos

From what I saw on the TV News this morning, it sounds like this shooter was a black dude who was an immigrant from Sudan. Came to the US when he was 6. I would not be surprised if he was radicalized by some online ISIS shit. Man this is only going to make things worse. I didn't live through the culture wars of the 1960's, but from what I've studied, what the US is going through right now seems a lot like it.

Last edited by VinVega; 09-25-17 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Sad these folks were attacked in a place they feel so comfortable.

Good thing too, considering that somebody failed to express any personal condolences in the SC thread.

Let's see, first post in that thread was:

"Since the accounts (including the one from grundle you quoted) said that the killer was able to reload his one gun five times, not sure what more damage he could have done with two guns unless he ran out of ammunition.

One interesting detail that would be more appropriately addressed later (if not in another thread) is the repeated use of the term black church (and related terms) by everyone from the POTUS to the media. Since most U.S. churches with primarily black congregations identify as Christians, the term may express a descriptive fact regarding the racial makeup of those particular churches, but it seems in modern times to be the antithesis of Christian doctrine of equality of races. Not sure if I've heard of any other Christian churches identified by race. I've heard of nationalities mentioned re: Christian churches within specific national boundaries ("Chinese Christians", the Korean church, etc.), but that had more to do with geographic location. I have heard of churches made up of specific ethnic or national groups in the U.S., but not generic "Asian" churches, etc. Maybe there are "Latino" churches made up of Spanish-speaking congregants?
Just seems odd to divide churches into racial groups."

Hmmm, no condolences. Sure picks up on the Black thing though. Are any of you surprised?

Then the next post from the following day:

"???
Unless new info. has come out today, numerous media outlets yesterday/last night were reporting that he allowed on woman to stay alive to tell what had happened (at least one report said that he told her he planned to kill himself), and the other two survivors played dead. So it seems that he had every opportunity to kill all three with the one gun he had."

Hmmm, no condolences.

Then he goes on about "turn the other cheek", "eye for an eye", that Jesus certainly lashed out at hypocrites, tiresome media comments, that Sec. Clinton needs to be held accountable if a female is incensed by the "War on Women" talk & crowns a chauvinist over the head with a slow cooker, peoples spelling, "not being hypocritical", asks what do you say to those whose ancestors were oppressed by the U.S. government (and who, in many cases, still live with the effects of those past actions), Confederate flag, the U.S. has oppressed many groups but that it has also done much good (and the good at least balances out or more likely outweighs the bad), and whined that he should be debated the way he wants to be debated.

Then someone posted "Meanwhile another black church has been torched. Does that make 7 in as many days? Surely, it's just a coincidence, how many white churches have burned lately? None? Ok... "

Yes or no. Do you think the coward posted in the thread again, let alone gave condolences to the dead?

"what do you say to those whose ancestors were oppressed by the U.S. government (and who, in many cases, still live with the effects of those past actions)"

YOU BETTER NOT KNEEL!!!

EDIT: Took me a bit to type it up, but what I quoted is exactly what was originally there.
You seem to be losing your mind.

Check this out: http://www.umc.org/find-a-church/church/75364
Old 09-25-17, 08:07 AM
Banned

All I did was look up the SC church shooting thread to see the condolences from the righteous one, but there was none. I wasn't surprised.
Old 09-25-17, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
You seem to be losing your mind.

Check this out: http://www.umc.org/find-a-church/church/75364
Losing?

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-25-17 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously, it was God's will that this happen. Bloodthirsty little fuck, isn't he?
Old 09-25-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Obviously, it was God's will that this happen. Bloodthirsty little fuck, isn't he?
GOD had nothing to do with it cause GOD abandoned planet Earth a long time ago. Satan runs this fucking show.
Old 09-25-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If there is a 'God' it's the existence of life itself. How cool is that?

Any omnipotent creature who would willingly create this petri-dish of madness would surely have to be a douche of the highest order.
Old 09-26-17, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure if this was posted.Yeah I did not read the whole thread.
Melanie Smith was killed in the parking lot. 39
6 others shot inside Church.Many elderly.
Robert Caleb Engle gets his own gun and stops POS.

Shooter shots himself.To bad not fatal.Attack on religion?

Robert Caleb Engle Stopped Church Shooter Emanuel Kidega Samson

Antioch, Tenn. – The hero usher who took down Antioch church shooter Emanuel Kidega Samson has been identified as 22-year-old Robert Caleb Engle.

Emanuel Samson opened fire in the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ on Sunday Morning, murdering Melanie Smith, 39, in the parking lot.

A witness said that Samson shot Smith in the back and then turned her over and shot her in the head.

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/robert-...rch-shooting/#
Old 09-28-17, 05:05 AM
Banned

Several updated stories from yesterday & recently:

1. Kids of woman killed reveal anguish.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kids-woma...143700991.html

2. The effect when houses of worship are attacked.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...ces/700326001/

3. Why no one is talking about shooter's religion.

https://thinkprogress.org/church-sho...-4b6eb4c82838/

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-28-17 at 06:19 AM.