Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-29-17, 11:42 PM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

Re: North Korea may have fired missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
POLL

Which has a more successful chance:

1) North Korea's missiles making it off a launchpad.

2) GOP Healthcare passing today in 2017.
Well, you're asking us to choose between two giant piles of Triceratops shit, but if I have to, definitely #1. I have FAR more faith in the intelligence of NK's terrible engineers compared to Repubs and Trump.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 04-10-17, 10:29 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

And things just escalated some more.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/n-korea-v...010359634.html

North Korea vows response to 'reckless' US Navy move

North Korea denounced Washington's deployment of a naval strike group to the Korean peninsula Tuesday, warning it was ready for "war" in a further escalation of tensions.

The Carl Vinson strike group cancelled a planned trip to Australia this weekend to head to the region, in a show of force as Washington signalled it may act to shut down Pyongyang's nuclear capabilities.

"This goes to prove that the US reckless moves for invading the DPRK have reached a serious phase," a spokesman for the North's foreign ministry said according to state news agency KCNA.

"The DPRK is ready to react to any mode of war desired by the US," he said, using the country's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

President Donald Trump, fresh from ordering a missile strike on Syria that was widely interpreted as a warning to North Korea, has asked his advisors for a range of options to rein in Pyongyang, a top US official said Sunday.

Trump has previously threatened unilateral action against Pyongyang if China -- the North's sole major ally -- fails to help curb its neighbour's nuclear weapons ambitions.

But Pyongyang's response suggested the reclusive state is determined to continue on its current path, despite repeated rounds of United Nations sanctions.

"We will take the toughest counteraction against the provocateurs in order to defend ourselves by powerful force of arms," the foreign ministry spokesman said.

"We will hold the US wholly accountable for the catastrophic consequences to be entailed by its outrageous actions."

- Sixth test? -

Speculation over an imminent nuclear test is brewing as the North marks anniversaries including the 105th birthday of its founding leader on Saturday -- sometimes celebrated with a demonstration of military might.

Pyongyang is on a quest to develop a long-range missile capable of hitting the US mainland with a nuclear warhead, and has so far staged five nuclear tests, two of them last year.

Satellite imagery analysis suggests it could be preparing for a sixth, with intelligence officials warning it could be less than two years away from achieving the ability to strike the continental United States.

Seoul and Washington are also currently conducting joint military drills, an annual exercise which is seen by the North as a preparation for invasion.

South Korea's top nuclear envoy said Monday after talks with his Chinese counterpart that the two nations had agreed to "strong" new measures to punish Pyongyang if it carried out another nuclear test.

The talks came shortly after Trump hosted Chinese leader Xi Jinping for a summit at which he pressed Beijing to do more to curb the North's nuclear ambitions.

"(We) are prepared to chart our own course if this is something China is just unable to coordinate with us," US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said after the summit.

US National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster on Sunday criticised North Korea as a rogue nation engaged in provocative behaviour and said denuclearisation of the peninsula "must happen".

"The president has asked them to be prepared to give us a full range of options to remove that threat," he said on Fox News, apparently referring to Trump's advisers.

South Korea's Unification Minister Hong Yong-Pyo said Monday that the repercussions of a potential military response were worrying.

"Pre-emptive strikes may be aimed at resolving North Korea's nuclear problems, but for us, it is also related to defending the safety of the public," he told reporters.

While a US unilateral strike on North Korea from a shorter range might be more effective, it would likely endanger many civilians in the South and risk triggering a broader military conflict, experts warn.
Old 04-11-17, 06:42 AM   #28
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would not be shocked if Trump starts a war with NK, as he wouldn't care if they nuke the west coast since they did not vote for him.
Old 04-11-17, 10:24 AM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

I know you aren't supposed have a state sanctioned assassination of a country's leader but I am really surprised that hasn't come about yet.

I am typically for staying out of other countries and letting them deal with their own but this is an instance where something needs to happen and soon.
Old 04-11-17, 10:45 AM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I know you aren't supposed have a state sanctioned assassination of a country's leader but I am really surprised that hasn't come about yet.
Wait, are you talking about North Korea, or the US?
Old 04-11-17, 11:05 AM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Shame it has to be like this. DJT and KJU have a lot in common.
Old 04-11-17, 11:11 AM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

If NoKo needs coal...it better look somewhere else.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 04-11-17, 11:12 AM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

I am typically for staying out of other countries and letting them deal with their own but this is an instance where something needs to happen and soon.
I'm a firm believer in that. International affairs would be much "cleaner" if we had a clear, consistent, predictable approach that respected national sovereignty and boundaries.
Old 04-11-17, 11:14 AM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If NoKo needs coal...it better look somewhere else.
Uh, China gives them coal.
Old 04-11-17, 11:39 AM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Wait, are you talking about North Korea, or the US?
Trump is no leader so obviously North Korea
Old 04-11-17, 11:45 AM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Uh, China gives them coal.
Uhh, no they don't. It's just the opposite.

I meant to say if NoKo needs coal CASH, they will have to look somewhere else. China has been telling NK's coal ships to turn around.

China hasn't had a problem importing the coal from NK (20 tons from NK in 2015), and the US could have been giving China coal, but the Obama Administration was more concerned on how it looked with American environmental politics.

China's economy is desperate for resources as it has been using them up rather quickly over the last decade and they've been forced to import from outside their country.

Old 04-11-17, 05:16 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Keep touting coal. China is one of the biggest investors in solar and green energy. Great corporate mentality that you're proposing. Short term profits ahead of long term planning.
Old 04-11-17, 07:20 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

I'm touting any and all energy. Not just one type.

I'm for a smooth transition, not a dictatorship of only one type. Let's use coal, and slowly transition to other energy resources while still being able to use those other energy resources at the same time. It's not one or the other. They both have their place.

A compromise would be nuclear power, and I'm all for that.

Old 04-11-17, 10:54 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 04-11-17, 10:57 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post

Really? "U.S.A."? The President is such a fucking rube.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 04-11-17, 11:21 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post

It's happening! Trump is Twitter-trolling other countries into war. Just like we joked about during election season. But now it's ... happening! YOU, ESS, AYE, YOU, ESS, AYE!!!
Old 04-11-17, 11:24 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Jeeze. Read the replies to that Tweet. Trump has, like, zero support. Dude probably needs to be medicated just to read through those replies. That Tweet has 106k likes and 42k retweets. But I think they're, like, ironic likes and critical retweets.
Old 04-12-17, 11:56 AM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Beijing: China and South Korea have agreed to take new measures against North Korea if the rogue state conducts another nuclear or intercontinental missile test, Chinese media has reported.

As concern mounts that North Korea will use a national commemoration on Saturday to conduct its sixth nuclear test, claims the Chinese army has amassed 150,000 troops including medical teams on the border with North Korea have been repeated on the front page of China's state-owned Global Times newspaper.
Old 04-12-17, 01:34 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, Trump does not comment on the military options available. like Obama did. Wait, only to say that he was sending an "Armada" to North Korea.

#nothingtoseehere

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-nor...144441920.html

Quote:
“We are sending an armada, very powerful,” Trump said. “We have submarines, very powerful, far more powerful than the aircraft carrier, that I can tell you.”

“We have the best military people on earth,” the president continued. “And I will say this. He is doing the wrong thing. He is doing the wrong thing.”
Old 04-12-17, 01:48 PM   #45
DVD Talk Godfather

Holy hell, every time he opens his mouth I want to scream. My 5th grader speaks more eloquently than this dipshit.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 04-12-17, 02:02 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
“We are sending an armada, very powerful,” Trump said. “We have submarines, very powerful, far more powerful than the aircraft carrier, that I can tell you.”

“We have the best military people on earth,” the president continued. “And I will say this. He is doing the wrong thing. He is doing the wrong thing.”
Do those submarines contain nuclear weapons made with uranium?

- Albert Bandura
Old 04-12-17, 02:03 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

See my army men. They're more powerful than theirs. I like my army men.
Old 04-12-17, 02:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Do those submarines contain nuclear weapons made with uranium?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 04-12-17, 03:09 PM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

So Presidential.
Old 04-12-17, 03:52 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

And you people were complaining about his golf game. Maybe you should be more supportive of his recreational activities.