Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Meet the 16-year-old Canadian girl who took down Milo Yiannopoulos

Old 02-25-17, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Meet the 16-year-old Canadian girl who took down Milo Yiannopoulos

This 16-year-old girl is certainly precocious. Most girls her age -- actually most adults for that matter -- don't know or care much about politics. Her description of Yiannopoulos and many young conservatives caught my eye: "more accurately described as anti-liberal than...conservative."

What is your experience with young conservatives? Is this girl correct? Are many of them more anti-liberal than conservative?

I don't have much experience with young conservatives, but I do have one family member who is a big Trump fan. She's younger than me, and she seems to fit the description above. I won't go into the details, but she is not at all traditionally conservative in terms of her behavior or even her beliefs, except for being against abortion. But she does post a lot on Facebook about people who are supposedly cheating the system (the so-called "takers").

If you're interested, see my story below about my encounter with a young supporter of both Trump and Yiannopoulos.

Meet the 16-year-old Canadian girl who took down Milo Yiannopoulos at Vox.com

The story of Milo Yiannopoulos’s fall from conservative grace ended when a conservative blog posted video footage of him making comments that seemed to rationalize pedophilia. But it started when a 16-year-old high school student in Canada decided Yiannopoulos was embraced much too closely by mainstream conservatives.

The teen was moved to dig up footage on Yiannopoulos when she heard that he’d been invited to speak at the highest profile gathering of conservatives each year in America, the 2017 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). She defines herself as “very socially liberal,” but leans right on economics and foreign policy. Yiannopoulos, who has built his personal brand on anti-Muslim, anti-feminism, and general bigotry, exemplifies the place where she doesn’t believe the conservative movement should go.

“I see Milo as this embodiment of the awfulness you see over the past few years with the general tilt of millennial conservatism,” said the teen. “It’s diverged from this traditional conservatism so much. You’ve seen it essentially become full of awfulness and all about attacking the left and not about actual principles. It has nothing to do with conservative ideology so much as it has with opposing the leftists, SJWs, and so on and so forth.”
I was a bit skeptical about the popularity of this Yiannopoulos character among young conservatives. I thought the whole thing was probably overblown, which is why I was surprised to have an encounter with a Yiannopoulos fan a few weeks after the election. I was in Starbucks, and I overheard a long conversation between two white men in their mid-20s. (The fact that they were both white becomes important to the story later.) I couldn't help eavesdropping, in part because one of them was talking loudly and in part because I was interested. The two guys spent most of their time talking about how much liberals suck, and they seemed to be big fans of Trump and Yiannopoulus, in particular their trolling and "political incorrectness."

To me, the most surprising thing was that one of the guys was openly gay and considered himself to be part of the Trump movement. (I know that there is diversity within the gay community, but all of the gay people that I know are liberal Democrats.) This guy said that he didn't care about same-sex marriage; his main priorities were deporting immigrants and stopping Muslims from attacking Americans. He thought Muslims didn't belong in the U.S. He went on and on with a lot of colorful language, but here's the one comment that really stuck out in my mind. He said (paraphrasing), "This is our country. We were here first. Well, OK, the native Americans were actually here first, but hey, survival of the fittest. We won."

To make a long story short, the two guys really just seemed to be attracted to Trump and Yiannopoulus because of shared animosity toward certain groups of people.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 02-25-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Meet the 16-year-old Canadian girl who took down Milo Yiannopoulos

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
This 16-year-old girl is certainly precocious. Most girls her age -- actually most adults for that matter -- don't know or care much about politics. Her description of Yiannopoulos and many young conservatives caught my eye: "more accurately described as anti-liberal than...conservative."

What is your experience with young conservatives? Is this girl correct? Are many of them more anti-liberal than conservative?

I don't have much experience with young conservatives, but I do have one family member who is a big Trump fan. She's younger than me, and she seems to fit the description above. I won't go into the details, but she is not at all traditionally conservative in terms of her behavior or even her beliefs, except for being against abortion. But she does post a lot on Facebook about people who are supposedly cheating the system (the so-called "takers").

If you're interested, see my story below about my encounter with a young supporter of both Trump and Yiannopoulos.

Meet the 16-year-old Canadian girl who took down Milo Yiannopoulos at Vox.com

I was surprised to hear that this Yiannopoulos character was gaining such a large following, especially among young conservatives. I thought the whole thing was probably overblown, which is why I was surprised to have an encounter with a Yiannopoulos fan a few weeks after the election. I was in Starbucks, and I overheard a long conversation between two white men in their mid-20s. (The fact that they were both white becomes important to the story later.) I couldn't help eavesdropping, in part because one of them was talking loudly and in part because I was interested. The two guys spent most of their time talking about how much liberals suck, and they seemed to be big fans of Trump and Yiannopoulus, in particular their trolling and "political incorrectness."

The somewhat surprising part to me was that one of them was openly gay and considered himself to be part of the Trump movement. (I know that there is diversity within the gay community, but all of the gay people that I know are liberal Democrats.) This guy said that he didn't care about same-sex marriage; his main priorities were deporting immigrants and stopping Muslims from attacking Americans. He thought Muslims didn't belong in the U.S. He went on and on with a lot of colorful language, but here's the one comment that really stuck out in my mind. He said (paraphrasing), "This is our country. We were here first. Well, OK, the native Americans were actually here first, but hey, survival of the fittest. We won." In any case, the guy really just seemed to be attracted to Trump and Yiannopoulus because of shared animosity toward certain groups of people.
There are plenty of gay conservatives. They tend to be males who vote their pocketbooks rather than their consciences, but I understand where a lot of it comes from. You grow up believing that your core identity is something to be ashamed of, something to maybe hide or even suppress, and you look for somebody you can think of as "lower" than you. Like poor people. Or brown people. Or whatever.

Eventually, after you have lived a little more of life, you see why the conservative idea of utopia falls the fuck apart under closer scrutiny.
Old 02-25-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well done, Julia!

I wish we could speak less of this person, a person who, it seems like, has no desire or skill to improve the lives of others.
Old 02-25-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck people like Milo Y, Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, etc... who are more concerned with themselves and their bank accounts than they are about the equal rights of minorities/protected classes.
Old 02-26-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Fuck people like Milo Y, Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, etc... who are more concerned with themselves and their bank accounts than they are about the equal rights of minorities/protected classes.
but, but Hilary and emails and Benghazari or whatever, oh and that Satanic sex slave pizzaria
Old 02-27-17, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not only that but they're helping to sell all of us out to Russia.
Old 02-27-17, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

Like most things it's about wanting to be a part of something. Yiannopoulos draped himself in the flag of Israel, to piss of Palestinian supporters while also simultaneously trying to paint the Democrats as enemies of Israel. But then he also excuses the actions of Alt-Right trolls who engage in anti-semitic slurs against Jewish journalists.

Why did young people like him? Because he was extremely entertaining. Just like you have young people who support musicians who promote violence and aggrandize the leaders of murderous drug cartels. But the musicians are entertaining so it's okay.

Most of Yiannopoulos's fans were white and I think he himself being a young, articulate, stylish and entertaining white guy helped them to identify or want to identify with him, in spite of the content of his words. Same goes for people in other racial groups.
I know Mexicans from all types of backgrounds who think Chapo was a hero. Why? Because they identify with him racially/culturally, or they want to identify with him (being rich and famous).

Young people naturally are attracted to rebellious figures, no matter how bad they are.
Old 02-27-17, 06:54 AM
RIP

This here