Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Trumpocalypse Now - Day:0 ... Here we go... it was nice knowing you all...

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Trumpocalypse Now - Day:0 ... Here we go... it was nice knowing you all...

Old 12-20-16, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Trumpocalypse Now: The Transition

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I'd love to hear Wango Tango at the Inauguration.
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang seems more appropriate to get a crowd cheering for a pussy grabber.
Old 12-20-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think that Trump talked Kanye West into performing at his inauguration at their recent meeting...but he's keeping it a secret until inauguration day.

(If not Kanye, then Loretta Lynn, Ted Nugent, and Wayne Newton are in the on-deck circle.)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ial-candidates
Old 12-20-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
(If not Kanye, then Loretta Lynn, Ted Nugent, and Wayne Newton are in the on-deck circle.)
Wow, it's like the lineup to a Bob Hope Christmas special c. 1987.
Old 12-20-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The chairman of Trump's inauguration committee said Kanye ain't performing.

Sad!
Old 12-20-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Has Trump run out of cabinet positions to offer these artists?
Old 12-21-16, 12:32 AM

Since Sylvester Stallone has turned down Trump's offer to be the chairman of the NEA...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news...Uoa?li=BBnb7Kz

Maybe the once Trump-hater Robert DeNiro will be in the running...

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know...-tune-on-trump
Old 12-21-16, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Sad!
Even you know that everyone in Trump's camp is a known liar.

Come January 20, 2017 you'll be hearing Kanye singing "Can't Tell Me Nothing" as Trump takes the oath of office at Trump Tower.
Old 12-21-16, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You DO understand that the meeting was AFTER the inauguration and AFTER the Republicans had vowed to completely obstruct Obama, right? Does that detail matter to you?

Again, cause-and-effect.
Old 12-21-16, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by @realDonaldTrump
I would have done even better in the election, if that is possible, if the winner was based on popular vote - but would campaign differently
It IS possible you'd could have done better, coming in at 46th out of 58 in the EC historically and losing the popular vote by almost 3 million...you unbelievable dipshit.

Also, nothing else worth tweeting about this fine morn?
Old 12-21-16, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You won Donald! Get over it!
Old 12-21-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
You won Donald! Get over it!
Trump holds grudges for years. And he's too fragile to let this go. He needs to believe he won big. That's why he keeps using words like "landslide" which are the exact opposite of what actually happened.
Old 12-21-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
It's a matter of cause-and-effect. From day-1, on inauguration day of President Obama's first term, Republican leaders flat out stated that they were going to be obstructionists.

Given that, I find the claim that HE froze THEM out puzzling. There was no way that they would work toward a consensus position. ANYTHING that President Obama compromised on would immediately be something to be opposed...even if the Republicans had pushed for it... the fact that Obama was for it was the signal that they should be against it. Their opposition was from day-1... they had frozen THEMSELVES out.

But I agree that both sides do it and that they need to stop it.

This reminds me of Henry Cabot Lodge's move in 1919, although I have no doubt both parties have been guilty of this shit over the years. When President Wilson left for Europe, Lodge got his Repubs together and stressed that they must undermine whatever peace treaty Wilson came back with. They happened to concentrate on Article X of the League of Nations, but if it wasn't that it would have been something else. It worked out for them politically, but the truth is that it is dirty politics that shows zero concern for the good of the nation or their own constituents. We can only wonder whether or not the League of Nations could have prevented German militarization.

In Obama's case, I have no doubt that when all is said and done he'll be looked on pretty favorably. Everyone these days likes to call everyone the best ever (Reagan) or the worst ever (W, Obama). Things are so polarized that nobody thinks rationally or historically. The fact is both Reagan and Obama are probably no better than middle of the road Chief Executives. What Obama has on his side is that nothing ensures your legacy better than being bookended by one guy who absolutely bungled the job and another who is sure to.
Old 12-21-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Come January 20, 2017 you'll be hearing Kanye singing "Can't Tell Me Nothing" as Trump takes the oath of office at Trump Tower.
Not Gold Digger?
Old 12-21-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Sad!
Indeed. The likely reaction to the majority of Trump's supporters once he hit the stage, and started playing his most well known songs, would have made the show must see TV.
Old 12-21-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
You DO understand that the meeting was AFTER the inauguration and AFTER the Republicans had vowed to completely obstruct Obama, right? Does that detail matter to you?

Again, cause-and-effect.
Yes, I am agreeing with you - because of this back and forth The Democrats just rammed things through.
Obama won and they had the House and Senate.

Here are the details it was likely just payback “We’re going to do to you what you did to us in 2006.”
Old 12-21-16, 10:00 AM
Banned

I doubt if Rubio, Cruz, Bush, or any other GOP candidate would have been able to land many other most-worshiped "celebrities' whether due to the popular kids' actual views or to avoid offending their customer base.

That doesn't seem to hold true for less-publicized ventures promising big bucks for performing before wealthy people with questionable views & practices:

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...imberlake.html

As the site mentions, "there is very little downside to performing for a hateful despot." At least, as long as it can be kept on the down-low.

Nonetheless, I've always found these "inaugural orgies" rather embarrassing, even when privately funded. I'd be a lot more impressed if incoming POTUSES...whether Democrat, Independent, or Republican...would raise a lot of money to donate to needy families (such as the ones who lost relatives & homes in the fires around Gatlinburg). Of course, wealthy donors are less likely to pony up money if there isn't a lavish payoff or promise of influence-peddling.

Also, I wish POTUSes would invite lesser-known performers to the White House instead of the usual suspects (McCartney, etc.). Not only would it demonstrate good musical taste to have Richard Thompson or Gillian Welch/David Rawlings perform, it would give a boost to their careers.

Just saying. Always felt that way regardless of who's elected. If entertainers want to snub Trump, good for them.

Whoever falsely boasts of giving
Is like clouds and wind without rain. Proverbs 25:14
Old 12-21-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Nonetheless, I've always found these "inaugural orgies" rather embarrassing, even when privately funded. I'd be a lot more impressed if incoming POTUSES...whether Democrat, Independent, or Republican...would raise a lot of money to donate to needy families (such as the ones who lost relatives & homes in the fires around Gatlinburg). Of course, wealthy donors are less likely to pony up money if there isn't a lavish payoff or promise of influence-peddling.
Hey, the Trump kids tried to use the inauguration to raise money for "charity," but they backed out of it (they are a "needy" family, but not financially). I believe that in general, presidents don't involve themselves in charitable fundraising because of the influence-peddling you mention.

Also, I wish POTUSes would invite lesser-known performers to the White House instead of the usual suspects (McCartney, etc.). Not only would it demonstrate good musical taste to have Richard Thompson or Gillian Welch/David Rawlings perform, it would give a boost to their careers.

Just saying. Always felt that way regardless of who's elected. If entertainers want to snub Trump, good for them.
Good taste is a subjective thing, and the organizers of these things don't want the audience to wonder who the acts are. Maybe Gillian Welch will get her inauguration gig after she plays the Super Bowl.
Old 12-21-16, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Good taste is a subjective thing, and the organizers of these things don't want the audience to wonder who the acts are. Maybe Gillian Welch will get her inauguration gig after she plays the Super Bowl.
I was actually speaking more about the private performances in which entertainers are invited to the White House to perform for the First Family & staff.

The north wind brings forth rain,
And a backbiting tongue an angry countenance. Proverbs 25:23
Old 12-21-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was actually speaking more about the private performances in which entertainers are invited to the White House to perform for the First Family & staff.
Well, we were talking about the inauguration, so I'm not sure how you expected me to make that leap. Plus, why do you think they only have Paul McCartney? I have friends in a local choir who were invited to perform at the White House for the POTUS and FLOTUS, who they said were very gracious about greeting and chatting with them.
Old 12-21-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I doubt the cast of Hamilton will get another invite. Too many non-white, non-straight people for this administration. Plus it's about immigrants.

Well, we were talking about the inauguration, so I'm not sure how you expected me to make that leap. Plus, why do you think they only have Paul McCartney? I have friends in a local choir who were invited to perform at the White House for the POTUS and FLOTUS, who they said were very gracious about greeting and chatting with them.
When I was in college, Clinton and Gore were speaking at an event in our arena. My choir was performing but we were way up in the rafters and just basically providing some background music before the speeches began. When it was over, we were all dispersing and one of Clinton's staff members came racing up and asked all of us to come with them down to the limos under the stadium. So we all ran down there and lined up at the limos. Come to find out that Clinton didn't really get a chance to hear us and wanted us to come down and sing a song before he left. He and Gore stood there and listened to a number then shook hands with all of us and took a big group picture that was really fun.

It's one of the many reasons I really liked him as President.
Old 12-21-16, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Say what you will about ISIS, but they do not pose a fraction of the threat to the US that Russia does
How so?
Old 12-21-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
How so?
Seriously?

Does ISIS have a navy, jet fighters, cyber warfare teams, nuclear weapons, intercontinental ballistic missiles, a highly trained military force including special forces?
Old 12-21-16, 11:29 AM
Banned

You're right...I thought I had said "private performances" in the earlier post but looked back & saw I hadn't. And I meant to add that I understand when they invite particular noteworthy performers (I am a McCartney admirer) such as Stevie Wonder to receive particular awards or have a particular genre of music celebrated. Non-household names such as Los Lobos have performed, and I have no problem with inviting either big names or small names.

It just seems that most politicians of note seem to rely upon the bigger names rather than having their own playlist including some more "niche" artists.

I tried to Google a comprehensive list of performers who have been at the WH but struck out. That surprised me; seems that it would be fairly easy to find and of interest to many.

I was unaware that local choirs are invited. That's a great honor to the guests and should be a real treat for the politicians.

Maybe the lesser-known appearances isn't as well-publicized or maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention. If anyone has a link showing a comprehensive list (and not just the "In Performance At the White House"-type of big, televised events, that would be appreciated.

And the comments weren't meant to be critical of any particular candidates. Just on the surface, it seems that President Obama has more eclectic tastes that most.

And re: inaugural celebrations, I totally understand why Super-Bowl-type talent would be desired.

It is not good to eat much honey;
So to seek one’s own glory is not glory. Proverbs 25:27
Old 12-21-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's something even the Trump-bots will have trouble defending.

Looks like with GOP help as soon as Trump's sworn in, FCC Republicans vow to gut net neutrality rules “as soon as possible”

The Federal Communications Commission's two Republican members told ISPs yesterday that they will get to work on gutting net neutrality rules "as soon as possible."

FCC Republicans Ajit Pai and Michael O'Rielly sent a letter to five lobby groups representing wireless carriers and small ISPs; while the letter is mostly about plans to extend an exemption for small providers from certain disclosure requirements, the commissioners also said they will tackle the entire net neutrality order shortly after President-elect Donald Trump's inauguration on January 20.

"[W]e will seek to revisit [the disclosure] requirements, and the Title II Net Neutrality proceeding more broadly, as soon as possible," they wrote, referring to the order that imposed net neutrality rules and reclassified ISPs as common carriers under Title II of the Communications Act. Pai and O'Rielly noted that they "dissented from the Commission's February 2015 Net Neutrality decision, including the Order's imposition of unnecessary and unjustified burdens on providers."

Pai and O'Rielly will have a 2-1 Republican majority on the FCC after the departure of Democratic Chairman Tom Wheeler on January 20. Pai previously said that the Title II net neutrality order's "days are numbered" under Trump, while O'Rielly said he intends to "undo harmful policies" such as the Title II reclassification.
Say goodbye to surf what you want, and say hello to internet "package" deals, because... there's money to be made here!*

*("There's money to be made here" is the new Trump slogan.)
Old 12-21-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another example of double standards, or just plain naiveness from the cheeto.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-...150924712.html

IBM never makes a public announcement when it moves American jobs to other countries. But it offshores aggressively all the same—even though its CEO, Virginia Rometty, is now advising incoming President Donald Trump on how to keep more jobs in the United States.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.