Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

MSNBC only mentions TPP 2 times in 18 months

Old 02-23-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

MSNBC only mentions TPP 2 times in 18 months

https://theintercept.com/2016/02/22/...c-partnership/

MSNBC cut away from a live Bernie Sanders press conference this afternoon as the Democratic presidential candidate was talking about his opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement. Watch the cutaway:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/156330769" width="500" height="266" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

“You’ve been listening to Bernie Sanders, less of a press conference, more of a speech. I want to turn back to the Republican side of things,” said Kate Snow, as she pivoted to news of Ted Cruz firing a press spokesperson.

MSNBC owner Comcast has lobbied for the TPP. Last year, it fired host Ed Schultz, an outspoken opponent of the agreement.

A Media Matters study found that outside of Schultz’s show, the TPP was mentioned only twice on MSNBC during an 18-month period. Last year, MSNBC host Joe Scarborough admitted to The Intercept that his network was “guilty” of ignoring the TPP.
Talk about media bias and the problem with for profit news. The most liberal news channel covers the TPP twice in 18 months and their owner (Comcast) has lobbied for TPP. The one guy who actually covered it to any degree got shit canned. Anyone think Comcast is lobbying for this because it is good for the average American?

I honestly think the most powerful thing about the media is how they can simply hide a story and keep it from getting noticed. In fact, if I were incredibly wealthy I'd buy my own news channel so that I could fuck all of you guys over in a way in which you would appreciate because you didn't know any better. Or even better, you never even noticed it.
Old 02-23-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: MSNBC only mentions TPP 2 times in 18 months

Wait, I thought this was the "liberal media"??
Old 02-23-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

It is during ratings, otherwise it is to Comcast what Fox News is to Murdoch. Does that really surprise you?
Old 02-23-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What surprises me is the term "liberal media" when most of the media is controlled by huge corporations with a non-liberal agenda.
Old 02-23-16, 06:13 PM
Banned

Obviously, the Koch Brothers are behind this.
Old 02-23-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
What surprises me is the term "liberal media" when most of the media is controlled by huge corporations with a non-liberal agenda.
I don't think the billionaire liberal agenda is the same as the middle class liberal agenda.
Old 02-23-16, 08:04 PM
Cool New Member

The thing is, left-wing media - right-wing media...is all a sham. Those wings - left and right - are attached to the same body and headed in one direction. 33 years ago, @ 50 corporations owned the US media, now in 2016 it is down to six - General Electric, News Corp., Disney, Viacom, CBS, and Time Warner.
Old 02-24-16, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I don't think the billionaire liberal agenda is the same as the middle class liberal agenda.
There is no liberal mainstream media - that was a ruse. It's corporate media and they don't really care if there is liberal or conservative leadership as long as they allow mergers and acquisitions. What they talk about is fodder.
Old 02-24-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SatoshiNak View Post
The thing is, left-wing media - right-wing media...is all a sham. Those wings - left and right - are attached to the same body and headed in one direction. 33 years ago, @ 50 corporations owned the US media, now in 2016 it is down to six - General Electric, News Corp., Disney, Viacom, CBS, and Time Warner.
What media does GE own?
Old 02-24-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
What media does GE own?
http://mic.com/articles/6047/general...u-s#.LBDgqBJ2G

GE media-related holdings include a minority share in television networks NBC and Telemundo, Universal Pictures, Focus Features, and 26 television stations in the U.S. including cable networks MSNBC, Bravo and the SyFy Channel. Apart from consumer appliances market, it is also characterized by huge involvement in banking, insurance, and defense industries.
Old 02-24-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
There is no liberal mainstream media - that was a ruse. It's corporate media and they don't really care if there is liberal or conservative leadership as long as they allow mergers and acquisitions. What they talk about is fodder.
I would have said "distraction," but yeah. Fuck, we can't even argue about this.
Old 02-24-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
http://mic.com/articles/6047/general...u-s#.LBDgqBJ2G

GE media-related holdings include a minority share in television networks NBC and Telemundo, Universal Pictures, Focus Features, and 26 television stations in the U.S. including cable networks MSNBC, Bravo and the SyFy Channel. Apart from consumer appliances market, it is also characterized by huge involvement in banking, insurance, and defense industries.
That article is from 2012. GE no longer owns any of those assets. Comcast does.
Old 03-18-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

TTIP: secrecy around talks is 'profoundly undemocratic', MPs say

A German MP said she was given only two hours to read 300 pages

The Government is under pressure to allow MPs to disclose sensitive information on one of the most secretive trade deals ever negotiated.

The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) is a proposed US-EU trade deal for which negotiations have largely taken place behind closed doors.

The Centre for Economic Policy Research estimated annual trade gains of up to €119bn (£92.8bn) for the EU and €95bn (£74.1bn) for the US. But critics believe TTIP would see US companies winning swathes of health contracts – in effect, privatising the NHS, which ministers deny.

The Government is about to set up a “reading room”, containing classified TTIP documents. This apes an idea used elsewhere in the EU, but European parliamentarians who have been to their reading rooms have complained that they are bound by confidentiality agreements.

Katja Kipping, a German MP, said she was given only two hours to read 300 pages and was handed a rulebook stating that she was being granted “an exceptional degree of trust”.

British MPs believe they should not be so restricted. The Green MP Caroline Lucas said: “A cloak of secrecy still surrounds TTIP. If the same rules apply here in the UK as they do in Brussels – which is what ministers are implying – then MPs will be bound by a confidentiality agreement if they want to see the text. This opaque process – which shuts citizens out of this crucial debate – is profoundly undemocratic.”
Well, I think we should just trust our leaders. We have to pass it to know what's in it. That's certainly never fucked over the populace while giving a giant handout to corporate interests.

Oh wait, that's a trait of the Republicans and not the Democrats, right? Well, it use to be back when the Democrats weren't so thoroughly bribed as the Republicans, anyway.

Oh, and Hillary is against this now, so it's not like she'll go back on her word. her word is her bond.

"I tried real hard, and worked harder than I ever have in my life, but I'm about to fuck you in such a way that Democrats will thank me for it."
Old 03-24-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SatoshiNak View Post
And I've said before that the real issue is what they don't report.

Perfect example is the the recent story about John Ehrlichman admitting that the war on drugs was made up to persecute hippies and minorities. Broke yesterday on Vox.com, I believe.

I went to cnn.com, foxnews.com, and msnbc.com and used their search tool to look for John Ehrlichman. None had results that were relevant. Apparently it isn't news that the entire war on drugs was a sham. So I did a google search. CNN International has the story. Other than that, none of the big names that control the majority of the media seem to find it newsworthy.

And will it ever come up during the primaries or the general election? Lot of money involved in keeping the war on drugs active. One would think that admission that it was a sham would provoke a reaction from some of our politicians at least.