Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Old 08-16-17, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

"How do we learn from those mistakes if we just tear everything down."

That's something I've seen argued on here too.
This isn't like erasing the past. General Lee and the history of the Confederacy aren't going to be stricken from history books.
Some of those statues shouldn't have been put up in the first place.
Old 08-17-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
"How do we learn from those mistakes if we just tear everything down."

That's something I've seen argued on here too.
This isn't like erasing the past. General Lee and the history of the Confederacy aren't going to be stricken from history books.
Some of those statues shouldn't have been put up in the first place.
Somehow the Germans know who Hitler was without any statues of him up anywhere.
Old 08-17-17, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
With the antifas taking on the alt-right and the new expectation of violence at these rallies, this will be the new normal going forward.
Has Antifa ever been successful at a rally? If you go to youtube and type their name, all you see is "Antifa Owned","Antifa Smashed","Antifa Beaten","Antifa Arrested". If all they're known for is losing, then why does the entire Right continue to be so concerned about them?
Old 08-17-17, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
If you go to youtube and type their name, all you see is "Antifa Owned","Antifa Smashed","Antifa Beaten","Antifa Arrested".
Evidently, the alt/far right has a huge youtube presence and skews search results.
Old 08-17-17, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Has Antifa ever been successful at a rally? If you go to youtube and type their name, all you see is "Antifa Owned","Antifa Smashed","Antifa Beaten","Antifa Arrested". If all they're known for is losing, then why does the entire Right continue to be so concerned about them?

They are successful at cancelling rallys before they begin by threatening violence. If they do show up they have beaten people with bike locks, thrown explosives, and assaulted innocent people. Not just protesters, either. They threaten innocent journalists.They are terrorists, plain and simple. The fact that the left is worshipping them and comparing them to our brave troops in WWII is a disgrace. They may have been the "good guys" last week, but they are not good guys. They are vile and disgusting communinists who hate America.
Old 08-17-17, 09:12 AM
Banned by request

Newsflash: Communists have always been the strongest opponents of fascism, long before America or Britain got involved in fighting Germany. Communism remains the strongest opponent of fascism, recognizing that fascism is wrong at its core and cannot be tolerated wherever it might spring up. So of course antifa are mostly communists, because communists put themselves on the line to stop fascists. Always have, always will.

Here is an account from Charlottesville, written by a clergyman who was part of a nonviolent protest, on how antifa saved his life:
Old 08-17-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
They are successful at cancelling rallys before they begin by threatening violence. If they do show up they have beaten people with bike locks, thrown explosives, and assaulted innocent people. Not just protesters, either. They threaten innocent journalists.They are terrorists, plain and simple. The fact that the left is worshipping them and comparing them to our brave troops in WWII is a disgrace. They may have been the "good guys" last week, but they are not good guys. They are vile and disgusting communinists who hate America.
I actually have a friend who is proudly in Antifa, and the above description doesn't not apply to everyone in that group at all.
Old 08-17-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got news for you, unless you actively support fascism, you are anti-fascist, or Antifa.
Old 08-17-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I actually have a friend who is proudly in Antifa, and the above description doesn't not apply to everyone in that group at all.
No way. Get out of here with this anecdotal straw-man bullshit!
Old 08-17-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh your friend doesn't throw explosives into large crowds, beat people with bike locks, assault demonstrators, and attack and threaten journalists he just hangs out with people who do? Your friend is part of a terrorist organization. Choose better friends.
Old 08-17-17, 03:46 PM
Banned by request

Oh your friend doesn't throw explosives into large crowds, beat people with bike locks, assault demonstrators, and attack and threaten journalists he just hangs out with people who do? Your friend is part of a terrorist organization. Choose better friends.
And what are your thoughts on the president's response to the weekend's events?
Old 08-17-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
And what are your thoughts on the president's response to the weekend's events?
I think the price of tea in China is too high.
Old 08-17-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He is doing what he thinks is right to fight fascism, and is willing to accept the consequences of his actions. As I said before, I don't have a problem with people punching NAZIs. If you are going to go out in public and spout Nazi rhetoric, in my view, that is inciting violence, and you deserve every bit of violence coming your way.

I think their GOAL is a just one, even if some of their members get carried away.
Old 08-17-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I got news for you, unless you actively support fascism, you are anti-fascist, or Antifa.
This is event where I first heard of Antifa: Berkeley protests of Breitbart writer caused $100,000 in damage

If Antifa as a group advocates and resorts to this type of action, then I'm not Antifa, although I am against fascism and racism.
Old 08-17-17, 03:52 PM
Banned by request

I think the price of tea in China is too high.
Great, and what are your specific thoughts on Trump's support for white supremacist groups?
Old 08-17-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great, and what are your specific thoughts on Trump's support for white supremacist groups?
What a ridiculous attempt to sidestep critisism of antifa. My thoughts on his support for the asshole losers on Saturday are the same as everyone elses. I really hope you are not trying to say that one has to choose to support either Trump or Antifa.
Old 08-17-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He is doing what he thinks is right to fight fascism, and is willing to accept the consequences of his actions. As I said before, I don't have a problem with people punching NAZIs. If you are going to go out in public and spout Nazi rhetoric, in my view, that is inciting violence, and you deserve every bit of violence coming your way.

I think their GOAL is a just one, even if some of their members get carried away.
Ann Coulter and Milo are not nazis. Thats the problem with the far left. They call everyone nazis and think that justifies just about anything.
Old 08-17-17, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

What a ridiculous attempt to sidestep critisism of antifa. My thoughts on his support for the asshole losers on Saturday are the same as everyone elses. I really hope you are not trying to say that one has to choose to support either Trump or Antifa.
I didn't say you had to be for either antifa or Nazis, but I noticed you had said nothing about Trump or the Nazis and you appeared to be quite verbose about antifa, so I was asking.

Just to make it clear, by "asshole losers" you mean the Unite The Right marchers, and by "the same as everyone else's" you mean you feel the same as the people denouncing Trump, right? Just trying to be clear.
Old 08-17-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ann Coulter and Milo are not nazis. Thats the problem with the far left. They call everyone nazis and think that justifies just about anything.
Aren't they just currently calling the people at the Nazi rally Nazis?
Old 08-17-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't say you had to be for either antifa or Nazis, but I noticed you had said nothing about Trump or the Nazis and you appeared to be quite verbose about antifa, so I was asking.

Just to make it clear, by "asshole losers" you mean the Unite The Right marchers, and by "the same as everyone else's" you mean you feel the same as the people denouncing Trump, right? Just trying to be clear.
Yes the white supremacists are asshole losers and Trump saying something oositive about them is really stupid and outrageous. . That sentiment was expressed thoroughly with better words than i could come up with.
Old 08-17-17, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

Yes the white supremacists are asshole losers and Trump saying something oositive about them is really stupid and outrageous. . That sentiment was expressed thoroughly with better words than i could come up with.
Old 08-17-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you might be painting with a very broad brush here. While I am sure there are people in any militant group who are there simply to do as much damage as possible, the overall goal of the group can be positive. The KKK and Nazis are hate groups, pure and simple. No members of those organizations are there to make any positive change. Groups opposing hate groups at least have a just purpose. Certainly, you have some people who can give a bad name to the whole bunch, but to call them all terrorists is overly simplistic. Do you consider the Ohio National Guard a terrorist organization after what happened at Kent State?
Old 08-17-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember George W. Bush was painted as Hitler. And then Obama.

However, in the case of Yiannopoulos he may not be an actual white supremacist or neo-Nazi, but think about what he says and does:

He throws the "White Pride" hand gesture, KNOWING how it will be viewed.
He makes excuses for, and defends anti-semitic slurs, claiming it's just non-racist people being "trolls" and "mischievous."
Referred to a reporter as a “thick-as-pig shit media Jew.”

He's appealing to a segment of society who can't-or previously couldn't-say these things in the mainstream. He could get away with it because he was a gay Jew with a black boyfriend. But he's Catholic and we've never seen his partner, not that it would make any difference to what he's said, but it's an example of how he plays "identity politics" as well, to get away with saying outrageous, hateful stuff.

I don't know enough about Coulter, but it's clear that Yiannopoulos helped bring anti-semitism and racism more into the mainstream.
Old 08-17-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For anyone who bitches about FoxNews and what stories they focus on. I turn on MSNBC tonight when I get home from work after a major terrorist attack in Spain and Chick Todd does 1 segment with #NeverTrumper Bill Kristol on the state of the Republican Party and another segment on whether Steve Bannon should be fired? This feeds to my point that no doubt FoxNews has their agenda but MSNBC and CNN are no better as they have their agenda too.
Old 08-17-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the far left are a bunch of Feminazis! I read about it in Jonah Goldberg's book "Liberal Fascism" and Dinesh D'Souza's book "The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left." Why do liberals always call their opponents Nazis?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.