Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Old 11-21-20, 06:46 AM
  #1151  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,254
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by beavis69 View Post
This is what I've been trying to explain to folks around me for a couple years now. CNN, Fox, MSNBC aren't just news channel. In a given day they are probably filled with about 4-6 hours of actual news, most of it the same info that is rotating over and over. What the other time is filled with is people commentating on that news. That is not news, but it is what most people tune in for. 24 hour news channels run off commercial revenue just like any other channel, so they are going to get folks on that drive that revenue. The common person isn't able to distinguish between news and commentary because, sorry to say, they are too dumb to get the distinction.

24 hour news channels should be viewed as entertainment rather than news. Tuning in to the nightly news on one of the major channels is way more beneficial than ever tuning into any 24 hour news network (any of them).
Exactly, the news died years ago when the model became more focused on 'opinion' rather than hard news. This is all from the rise of cable/streaming and the viewer having more choices compared to the old days of ABC, CBS and NBC. On one hand, more choices are a great thing as we have endless options to watch what we want on TV every night. But the negative to that is that all of these networks/streaming services don't have to cater to the masses anymore. When ABC, NBC and CBS did the evening news in 1985, they had to cater to the masses so they were reporting hard news and usually had a 5 minute 'opinion' piece at the end of the show. Now CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, ABC, CBS, NBC are all catering to a specific base of voters so they are going to preach to the choir. CNN has built a model where they are pretty much Anti-Trump every night and 95% of the viewers agree with that. FoxNews has built a model where they are pretty much Pro-Trump every night and 95% of the viewers agree with that. Heck, FoxNews is facing competition for 50% of the country for the first time since it's inception with the rise of OAN and NewsmaxTV.

Once TV started to get away from catering to the masses, people started to get in their own bubble. It won't go back as it will only get worse because Late Night TV figured it out as most of the hosts are Anti-Trump and play to that audience every night. Sports is the last thing to really cater to the masses so they are in a catch 22. If they get political, they face the possibility of alienating viewers so that is why they have to straddle a fine line with their message.
Old 11-21-20, 11:49 AM
  #1152  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 13,397
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
It won't go back as it will only get worse because Late Night TV figured it out as most of the hosts are Anti-Trump and play to that audience every night.
Late Night TV isn't anti-Trump... they just latch onto someone who's an embarrassing corrupt idiot clown-show. It doesn't matter who that person is. In this case, it just happened to be Trump and he's proven to be comedy gold. The past 4 years late night TV writers had the easiest job in the world since the comedy just writes itself. All they had to do was relay the events with very obvious punchlines in the low-hanging fruit variety. Anti-Trump? No, pro-comedy.
Old 11-21-20, 12:19 PM
  #1153  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 33,822
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Exactly, the news died years ago when the model became more focused on 'opinion' rather than hard news. This is all from the rise of cable/streaming and the viewer having more choices compared to the old days of ABC, CBS and NBC. On one hand, more choices are a great thing as we have endless options to watch what we want on TV every night. But the negative to that is that all of these networks/streaming services don't have to cater to the masses anymore. When ABC, NBC and CBS did the evening news in 1985, they had to cater to the masses so they were reporting hard news and usually had a 5 minute 'opinion' piece at the end of the show. Now CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, ABC, CBS, NBC are all catering to a specific base of voters so they are going to preach to the choir. CNN has built a model where they are pretty much Anti-Trump every night and 95% of the viewers agree with that. FoxNews has built a model where they are pretty much Pro-Trump every night and 95% of the viewers agree with that. Heck, FoxNews is facing competition for 50% of the country for the first time since it's inception with the rise of OAN and NewsmaxTV.

Once TV started to get away from catering to the masses, people started to get in their own bubble. It won't go back as it will only get worse because Late Night TV figured it out as most of the hosts are Anti-Trump and play to that audience every night. Sports is the last thing to really cater to the masses so they are in a catch 22. If they get political, they face the possibility of alienating viewers so that is why they have to straddle a fine line with their message.
I pretty much agree with this. I would take exception to comedy. I do think comedy skews to the left, but comedians will be making fun of Biden once he is in place. Trump is such a horrible human being, the comedy generally has been rougher on him. Let's see what happens over the next couple of years.
Old 11-21-20, 12:40 PM
  #1154  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 22,875
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Late Night TV isn't anti-Trump... they just latch onto someone who's an embarrassing corrupt idiot clown-show. It doesn't matter who that person is. In this case, it just happened to be Trump and he's proven to be comedy gold. The past 4 years late night TV writers had the easiest job in the world since the comedy just writes itself. All they had to do was relay the events with very obvious punchlines in the low-hanging fruit variety. Anti-Trump? No, pro-comedy.
You know, when you get into an Uber, and the driver starts telling you about how Trump is fighting pedophiles and is the savior, is it left wing bias to think the guy is wrong? Because that happened to me.

If you don't want to be laughed at, stop being a clown.

Last time I checked, Donald is doing his best to reverse votes and legitimate election results. After waiting for four years, people finally got to voice with their vote, and he's trying to remove those votes. If it wasn't such a hilarious clown show, it would be devastating to our nation. When a coup is attempted in Turkey, there's military in the streets. In Africa, they raid neighborhoods and kill anyone who doesn't swear allegiance. Thank God these guys (Trump, Giuliani, etc.) are just pop-culture imbeciles.
Old 11-21-20, 12:46 PM
  #1155  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 14,621
Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Late Night TV isn't anti-Trump... they just latch onto someone who's an embarrassing corrupt idiot clown-show. It doesn't matter who that person is. In this case, it just happened to be Trump and he's proven to be comedy gold. The past 4 years late night TV writers had the easiest job in the world since the comedy just writes itself. All they had to do was relay the events with very obvious punchlines in the low-hanging fruit variety. Anti-Trump? No, pro-comedy.
Exactly. I've been watching late night talk shows since the early 80's, this is the way it has always been. They've always bagged on whomever the president is, it's just that Trump gives them more material because of all the dumb stuff he does. If anything, comedians have to struggle to find jokes that are funnier than the things that Trump actually does and says, they'll probably be happy to go back to making fun of a president who isn't already a joke to begin with.


Oh, and all cable news is worthless garbage IMO. If you want actual news, use sources like Reuters and AP.

Old 11-21-20, 12:56 PM
  #1156  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,022
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I pretty much agree with this. I would take exception to comedy. I do think comedy skews to the left, but comedians will be making fun of Biden once he is in place. Trump is such a horrible human being, the comedy generally has been rougher on him. Let's see what happens over the next couple of years.
I expect 4 years of ďBiden is so old...Ē jokes.

Whether they lean left or right, late-night always goes for the low hanging fruit which is probably why I havenít watched last night talk shows in 10-15 years.
Old 11-21-20, 01:02 PM
  #1157  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 14,621
Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I expect 4 years of “Biden is so old...” jokes.

Whether they lean left or right, late-night always goes for the low hanging fruit which is probably why I haven’t watched last night talk shows in 10-15 years.
When writers have to come up with fresh comedy material on a nightly basis, they really don't have much choice a lot of the time.
Old 11-21-20, 01:28 PM
  #1158  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 24,545
Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I expect 4 years of “Biden is so old...” jokes.

Whether they lean left or right, late-night always goes for the low hanging fruit which is probably why I haven’t watched last night talk shows in 10-15 years.
I saw Jay Leno discuss that in an interview back when he was on The Tonight Show. It was during the presidential election. He told a joke about Bill Clinton and Bob Dole both being bad drivers. Clinton because he is getting a bj from his female passenger and Dole because he drives at 30 mph with his turn signal on. He explained, "Clinton is a sexy guy, Bob Dole is old." That was all there was to the joke. He did a variation of it every night.
Old 11-21-20, 01:40 PM
  #1159  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 15,089
Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Oh, and all cable news is worthless garbage IMO. If you want actual news, use sources like Reuters and AP.
This.

Also, it's no accident that MAD magazine ceased publication during Trump's term. The writers couldn't compete with reality.
Old 11-21-20, 01:44 PM
  #1160  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 17,667
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
This.

Also, it's no accident that MAD magazine ceased publication during Trump's term. The writers couldn't compete with reality.
VEEP couldn't compete with the shitshow either.
Old 11-21-20, 01:50 PM
  #1161  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 35,054
Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
VEEP couldn't compete with the shitshow either.
VEEP looks restrained by comparison to Trump.
Old 11-21-20, 02:59 PM
  #1162  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 40,773
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
VEEP looks restrained by comparison to Trump.
If you go back and watch now, you can tell exactly when Trump came on the scene because the plots go from "Selina is pissed off because the Ambassador from Sweden is wearing the same shoes as her" to "Selina tells the Ambassador from Sweden to go fuck herself for wearing the same shoes." It's like the writers looked at what Trump was doing and said "Oh, OK -- we need to make every character in this show 120% stupider and 150% more over the top."
Old 11-21-20, 04:51 PM
  #1163  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 13,397
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

The one thing I'll say about late night TV is that they're spending too much time on Trump/GOP jokes. I don't say that because I think Trump/GOP are getting picked on so often that it's undeserving (because they do deserve it), but strictly from a comedy angle - you have to have more variety in material. I like Colbert and Myers, but they definitely spend way too much on them. I get that it's hard to ignore material that's dropped on your lap - but with the quantity at their disposal, you gotta be more selective.

"They're making too many jokes at Trump's/GOP's expense"
"And this offends you as a Republican?"
"No, it offends me as a comedian!"

Old 11-21-20, 05:19 PM
  #1164  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 14,621
Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
VEEP couldn't compete with the shitshow either.
I'm sure that The Onion has been struggling as well.
Old 11-21-20, 05:22 PM
  #1165  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 14,621
Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If you go back and watch now, you can tell exactly when Trump came on the scene because the plots go from "Selina is pissed off because the Ambassador from Sweden is wearing the same shoes as her" to "Selina tells the Ambassador from Sweden to go fuck herself for wearing the same shoes." It's like the writers looked at what Trump was doing and said "Oh, OK -- we need to make every character in this show 120% stupider and 150% more over the top."
I noticed that too. I've always loved the interactions between Selina and Minna (who was actually the Finnish Prime Minister, at least when she was first introduced).

Old 11-21-20, 11:37 PM
  #1166  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 23,162
Received 282 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I expect 4 years of ďBiden is so old...Ē jokes.

Whether they lean left or right, late-night always goes for the low hanging fruit which is probably why I havenít watched last night talk shows in 10-15 years.
Well, 18 - 28 months worth of "Biden is so old" jokes ... See. They do write themselves! Yeah. Yeah. I went there.
Old 11-21-20, 11:48 PM
  #1167  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 23,162
Received 282 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

It is very easy to point to the advent of the 24-hour "news" channel and the proliferation of media outlets as the harbinger of the death of the news. But there was a much bigger blow that the three networks dealt to themselves ...

Once upon a time, the "Big 3" (NBC, ABC, and CBS) ran their news departments as loss-leaders and as a public service. Unbiased coverage of actual news events had value in the respect that it earned the networks. That respect bled over into "goodwill value" which kept viewers in tune with their money-making entertainment programs. At some point (1980s, when corporations bought the networks?), that changed. The news departments were now being treated as any other department: you need to make money to justify yourself. You needed to be entertainment.

There was a different article I read on this a few years back, but here is the first one I found now: https://niemanreports.org/articles/t...-network-news/

On the local level, I would point as much blame at the handful of media companies that have been allowed to scoop up local media markets. Gone are the days when you had local beat reporters, on TV and in print, who you could trust. Instead, local news has become a fast food product, McMedia, that can be replicated and cranked out in 72 mid-sized markets. Instead, reporters come and go as fast as the cute girls working the ice cream counter at Baskin-Robbins (and they make about as much ... with the same talent level) while the station owner spews out their own political ideology in the guise of ... news.
Old 11-21-20, 11:56 PM
  #1168  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 35,054
Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Eh, Iíve worked for two local stations in my career and neither were like that at all. I donít think itís true everywhere.
Old 11-22-20, 02:34 AM
  #1169  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
TheAllPurposeNothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 1,834
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Eh, Iíve worked for two local stations in my career and neither were like that at all. I donít think itís true everywhere.
Yeah...not every station is owned by Sinclair.
Old 11-22-20, 01:58 PM
  #1170  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 24,545
Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

I'm pretty sure that a big reason that news has become less informative was the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine. This is a bit of history from an FCC paper that opposes the Fairness Doctrine.

The Fairness Doctrine

The roots of the Fairness Doctrine go back to the Federal Radio Commission’s 1929 Great Lakes Broadcasting decision, which denied licenses to a labor union-controlled radio station, on the grounds that “the public interest requires ample play for the free and fair competition of opposing views.”5 In 1940, the FCC went further and decided that, because the public interest required stations to present “all sides of important public questions fairly, objectively and without bias,” stations must agree not to editorialize. The FCC stated that, “radio can serve as an instrument of democracy only when devoted to the communication of information and exchange of ideas fairly and objectively presented.”6 As a commenter has noted, “(l)icensees were thus put on notice that advocacy broadcasting would not be tolerated.”7 This speech-restrictive approach lasted eight years.

In order to ensure that broadcasters covered important issues in their programming, and did so in a bal-anced manner, in 1949 the Commission introduced what has become known as the Fairness Doctrine. In its Report on Editorializing By Broadcast Licensees, the Commission stated, “the public interest requires ample play for the free and fair competition of opposing views, and the commission believes that the principle applies to all discussion of importance to the public.”8

It established a two-part obligation for broadcasters:
> provide coverage of vitally important controversial issues of interest in the community served by the station; and
> afford a reasonable opportunity for the presentation of contrasting viewpoints.

Stations were given wide latitude in deciding how they would present contrasting views; for instance, they might air segments during news or public affairs programs or broadcast distinct editorials. No particular party had a right to reply to an issue covered by the station. Rather, the station simply had to ensure that contrasting views on the issue were aired. But, a party that believed that a station had failed to honor this obligation could file a complaint with the Commission, which would be decided on a case-by-case basis. In time, two related rules were adopted: the “personal attack rule,” which required that when an attack was made on someone’s integrity during a program on a controversial issue of public importance, the station had to inform the subject of the attack and provide the opportunity to respond on the air; and the “political editorial rule,” which required a station that had endorsed a particular candidate for political office to notify the other candidates for that office and offer them the opportunity to respond on the air.9 These rules applied to broadcast TV and radio, but not to cable or satellite.

In 1969, in Red Lion Broadcasting Co. v. FCC, the Supreme Court ruled that the Fairness Doctrine was constitutional, concluding that the print and broadcast media were inherently different in terms of regulatory First Amendment considerations, especially given the scarcity of available broadcast spectrum.10 The Court held, “(i)t is the right of the viewers and listeners, not the right of the broadcasters, which is paramount.”11

As part of its 1980s deregulation of broadcasting, the Commission abolished the Fairness Doctrine, concluding after an inquiry that “the requirement that broadcasters provide balance in their overall coverage of controversial public issues in fact makes them more timid than they would otherwise be in airing programming that involves such issues.”12 The Commission’s inquiry had provided numerous examples of this “chilling” effect, including Dan Rather’s recollection of his time as a young reporter working at a radio station owned by the Houston Chronicle:

“I became aware of a concern which I previously had barely known existed—the FCC. The journalists at the Chronicle did not worry about it: those at the radio station did. Not only the station manager but the news people as well were very much aware of the Government presence looking over their shoulders. I can recall newsroom conversations about what the FCC implications of broadcasting a particular report would be. Once a newsroom has to stop and consider what a Government agency will think of something he or she wants to put on the air, an invaluable element of freedom has been lost.”13

Since that time, lawmakers have periodically attempted—unsuccessfully—to enact legislation to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. Furthermore, in 2000, the Commission eliminated the “personal attack” and the “political editorial” rules after the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals had issued a writ of mandamus directing it to do so.14 All of the current commissioners are on record as opposing its reinstitution. For instance, Chairman Genachowksi told a Senate Committee in 2009: “I don’t support reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine. I believe strongly in the First Amendment. I don’t think the FCC should be involved in censorship of content based on political speech or opinion.”15

Although the Fairness Doctrine is not in effect, it is referenced in the FCC’s written rules. Section 73.1910 of the Commission’s Rules states that:

The Fairness Doctrine is contained in section 315(a) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, which provides that broadcasters have certain obligations to afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views on issues of public importance.16

It is unclear why the Commission did not eliminate this when it repealed the Fairness Doctrine policy. The sentence has no force of law or policy import, but, it should be said, the language remains “on the books.”

It is our view that its reinstatement would most likely chill the robust broadcast discussion of critical issues, because stations would simply avoid addressing controversial issues in their programming rather than risk Com-mission sanctions for their failure to have allowed all interested parties an opportunity to respond. With the growth of additional media sources, such as cable, satellite, and more recently the Internet, Commission regulation in this sensitive area seems particularly unnecessary and unwise.
https://transition.fcc.gov/osp/inc-r...-Broadcast.pdf

There are other sections about public interest, radio deregulation, television deregulation, and on-air deception.

(As an aside, I noticed that the authors make sure that we know that one phase of the deregulation was under "Democratic President Jimmy Carter". It's making sure we know that it wasn't all done by the Republicans!")
Old 11-22-20, 03:24 PM
  #1171  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 40,773
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

The Fairness Doctrine was firmly rooted in the concept that airwaves belong to the public and are only licensed to particular stations. It's doubtful it would have survived the rise of cable, as the providers would have argued that, given the effectively limitless bandwidth of cable, it's a Frist Amendment violation to require a particular speaker to give voice to particular viewpoints.
Old 11-22-20, 10:11 PM
  #1172  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 34,086
Received 288 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The Fairness Doctrine was firmly rooted in the concept that airwaves belong to the public and are only licensed to particular stations. It's doubtful it would have survived the rise of cable, as the providers would have argued that, given the effectively limitless bandwidth of cable, it's a Frist Amendment violation to require a particular speaker to give voice to particular viewpoints.
Yeah, the Fairness Doctrine only applied to the public airwaves, much like decency standards. Right-wing talk radio flourished after the Fairness Doctrine went away.

However, it wouldnít apply to cable tv or satellite radio, so you would still have Fox News and MSNBC operating like they do now. Cable and satellite donít utilize the public airwaves; they are private airwaves. Same reason HBO and Showtime (or anything on basic cable) arenít subject to the same decency standards that ABC, CBS, and NBC are.

It would be like the government regulating the political content of books and magazines.
Old 11-23-20, 12:06 AM
  #1173  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 23,162
Received 282 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing View Post
Yeah...not every station is owned by Sinclair.

You knew exactly who I was thinking of ...

No, not every station is that way. But it is far more common than not.

In Springfield, IL, our local TV and newspaper have been decimated over the last five years. Thankfully we have a couple of strong local radio stations still.

I’m still learning the landscape in Jackson, MS, but local news is hard to come by. The daily newspaper is largely canned USA Today news and sports. I haven’t watched much of the local tv news, but I haven’t been too impressed. As for radio, I cannot find a local news station like what we have in Springfield. Everything is gospel or syndicated extreme right-wing BS. What is funny is that during the lunch hour I did find some local guys — who I listened to as rock jocks back in Peoria, IL in the 1990s! However they are far-right leaning (not intolerably so) and I haven’t heard them talk about anything local since I have been there.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-23-20 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-23-20, 12:08 AM
  #1174  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 23,162
Received 282 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

This is a little outdated, but ...
https://www.businessinsider.com/thes...america-2012-6



Old 11-23-20, 01:42 AM
  #1175  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
TheAllPurposeNothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 1,834
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
You knew exactly who I was thinking of ...

No, not every station is that way. But it is far more common than not.

In Springfield, IL, our local TV and newspaper have been decimated over the last five years. Thankfully we have a couple of strong local radio stations still.

Iím still learning the landscape in Jackson, MS, but local news is hard to come by. The daily newspaper is largely canned USA Today news and sports. I havenít watched much of the local tv news, but I havenít been too impressed. As for radio, I cannot find a local news station like what we have in Springfield. Everything is gospel or syndicated extreme right-wing BS. What is funny is that during the lunch hour I did find some local guys ó who I listened to as rock jocks back in Peoria, IL in the 1990s! However they are far-right leaning (not intolerably so) and I havenít heard them talk about anything local since I have been there.
Yeah, Sinclair's main offices are only about 10 miles from here. Hard to believe something so evil sits so unassumingly in the middle of a business park.

I think Mississippi Public Radio is situated in Jackson, so you always have NPR as a fallback for news.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.