Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Old 02-24-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
But I think you missed my point. I understood what the lyrics mean (the "roc" line didn't stump me; what I was asking for was the literary merit of the messages being conveyed.
Sorry -- when you said
I'll get you started: "...rock his Roc necklaces": alliteration. Beyond that, Beyonce has me stumped.
I took you to mean that beyond the fact that it was alliterative, you were stumped by the lyric. How silly of me.
Old 02-24-16, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I took you to mean that beyond the fact that it was alliterative, you were stumped by the lyric. How silly of me.
Naw, I meant that I was having trouble finding other elements of poetry (even the allusions are pretty much autobiographical, as you point out).

And I agree that "Revolution" isn't a complex song at all. It was a relative thing (which is why I compared it to Hang On, Sloopy). We played it because it was musically simple enough for us (along with other staples such as "Purple Haze," "Sunshine of Your Love," "Louie, Louie," "Satisfaction"...our poor drummer never could get the "solo" right, etc.). We listened to more complex stuff, too, like "All Along the Watchtower" (Hendrix, then Dylan), The Band, etc. None of it earth-shattering, and I had a progressive friend who was into much more far-out stuff in the mid-to-late 60's. But popular music was still experiencing a lot of growing pains, and The Monkees were big stuff among the teen girls. More literate stuff came later.

I do get a laugh out of hearing Trump play "Revolution" considering the lyrics:

"Revolution"

You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out

Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright

You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're all doing what we can

But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright, al...

You say you'll change the constitution

Well, you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You'd better free your mind instead

But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow

Don't you know know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright

Alright, alright
Alright, alright
Alright, alright
Alright, alright
Old 02-24-16, 06:19 PM

Oh dear, saw this today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1vXZKr2cAQ

Last edited by triste realtà; 02-24-16 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 06:47 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Yes. I already said so in post 1183.
Old 02-24-16, 07:08 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
Oh dear, saw this today:

<iframe-disabled-disabled width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q1vXZKr2cAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled-disabled>

Hit "quote" on my post to see how to embed that YouTube video:

Jesse Jackson once said something that was basically the same thing, except without all that anger, hatred, profanity, and racial slurs:

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/12/op...-on-crime.html

December 12, 1993

Jesse Jackson is traveling the country with a tough anti-crime message that he is delivering to inner-city youngsters. In Chicago he said, "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery -- then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

Thanks for bringing the thread back to topic, after my unintentional derailing.
Old 02-24-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Rosie O'Donnell & Rosanne Barr have good ranges of sound.
Old 02-24-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

You know after re-reading those lyrics to Revolution I'll go ahead and say "pound sand" to anybody who doesn't see the brilliance in that song. The lyrics are simple, but very direct, and that in itself is something difficult to do. It comes off as so effortless that you might even overlook the strength of the words that are being spoken. Couple that with the period it was written and you have to recognize how explosive song lyrics like that must have been. Then recognize that though the times have changed considerably, and the circumstances that The Beatles were singing about are completely changed, the song still has meaning and feels like a reflection of our time. Universality. That's a fucking good pop song.

Last edited by Mabuse; 03-27-16 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 04:49 AM
Political Exile

Three black college students told police they were assaulted by white people on a bus, and that the white people had used racial slurs.

However, the police claim that footage from the bus's security cameras shows that it was actually the three black students who committed the assault, and a white person was the one and only victim.

Now the three black students are being charged with assault and filing a false police report.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/25/us/new...bany-assaults/

Upstate N.Y. students who claimed bias attack face criminal charges

February 25, 2016

Three State University of New York at Albany students who claimed to be hate crime victims are being accused of fabricating the racially motivated attack, according to campus police.

The charges against the women, which include assault and falsely reporting an incident, come weeks after the upstate New York university held a rally in support of the black students, who said they were attacked by a group of white men and women during a confrontation on a bus January 30.

Days after the alleged assault, university President Robert J. Jones said in a letter to students and faculty that he was "deeply concerned, saddened and angry about this incident."

But the university police department said a three-week investigation found the three women actually assaulted another passenger, were not subjected to racial epithets and falsely reported the alleged crime.

"The evidence shows that, contrary to how the defendants originally portrayed things, these three individuals were not the victims of a crime," university Police Chief Frank Wiley said in the statement. "Rather, we allege that they are the perpetrators."

Police said Ariel Agudio, 20, faces charges of assault in the third degree, falsely reporting an incident in the third degree, attempted assault in the third degree and attempted criminal mischief in the fourth degree; Alexis Briggs, 20, faces a count of assault in the third degree; and Asha Burwell, 20, faces charges of assault in the third degree and falsely reporting an incident in the third degree.

The three women were being given court appearance tickets for arraignment on Monday, police said. It was not clear if they had obtained attorneys.

The evidence gathered against them included interviews with 35 bus passengers, video from a dozen security cameras on the bus and mobile videos taken by passengers.

"No male struck the three women," the police statement said. "The evidence indicates they were actually the aggressors ... and that they continued to assault the victim despite the efforts of several passengers to stop them."

The 19-year-old woman the students allegedly assaulted was not identified.

"What happened on the bus was not a 'hate crime,'" Wiley said. "The only person we heard uttering racial epithets was one of the defendants."

The three women, who were not identified at the time, said a group of 10 to 12 white men assaulted them and used racial slurs, according to the letter from Jones.

After the incident was reported, the hashtag #DefendBlackGirlsUAlbany appeared on social media.

The university has approximately 17,000 students, with African-Americans making up 15% of the student body.
Old 02-26-16, 05:45 AM
Political Exile

Update to my previous post:

When the university president thought the assaults were committed by white people, he said he would punish them.

However, after the video footage was made public, showing that it was actually black people who committed the assaults, the university president no longer seems like he wants to punish anyone:

http://www.albany.edu/administration...6_Incident.php

Message from President Jones Regarding an Incident

January 30, 2016

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:

Early this morning, three of our students were harassed and assaulted while riding on a CDTA bus on Western Ave. in Albany.

The students, who are Black women, stated that racial slurs were used by the perpetrators, whom they described as a group of 10 to 12 white males and females.

I am deeply concerned, saddened and angry about this incident. There is no place in the UAlbany community for violence, no place for racial intolerance and no place for gender violence.

I am out of town today. I have decided to cut my trip short and will be returning to Albany as soon as I can to address this situation.

In the meantime, I have been in direct contact with the Provost and executive leadership team and have directed that the University respond rapidly and forcefully.

Our police, our student affairs personnel and our Office of Diversity and Inclusion staff are working together to support our young women.

We are working closely with the Albany Police Department to identify the persons responsible. If those individuals are UAlbany students, we will hold them fully accountable for their behavior.

I call upon all members of the University at Albany to unite. We must show the world that we stand for inclusiveness and stand against bias, violence and hatred.

Our annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. celebration will be held on the evening of Monday, Feb. 1. As we reflect on the principles and values that Dr. King stood for, let us come together in solidarity to reaffirm our values.

Now is the time to recommit to our principles of inclusivity and diversity and send a strong message that we will not tolerate bias, hatred and violence in our University.

Sincerely,
Robert J. Jones
President

http://www.albany.edu/administration...date-video.php

An Update from President Jones

Regarding the Events of January 30, 2016

February 3, 2016

Hello Students, Faculty and Staff,

Last weekend there was a report of a violent incident on a CDTA bus on our Uptown Campus.

I know that this is a concern for all of us, and I want you to know that this has my full attention.

There’s been a lot of work done in the last few days, and I’d like to give you an update on where things stand.

I have asked our University Police Department to conduct a thorough investigation. They are doing just that.

Our police have interviewed 29 people who were witnesses or participants. And they have analyzed video and audio evidence as well. But our police still have more work to do.

We really need and want to get this right, for the students involved, for our campus and for the future of our University.

Our police are working closely with the office of the District Attorney, David Soares, and he has assured me that this case has his full attention.

We need to give them sufficient time to complete their investigation. And I am hoping that this will happen soon.

In the meantime, I ask all of us to not rush to judgment. We need to know all of the facts. We must get this right.

This is a good opportunity for all members of the University to teach each other and to learn from each other. Let us engage even more deeply. Let us listen even more carefully. And let us see each other even more clearly.

I am encouraged by the respectful dialogues that I see taking place, and I want to encourage us to keep talking respectfully with each other – in the classroom, on the campus, and in social media.

Now is the time to recommit to our principles of inclusivity and diversity – and to stand united with each other as we hold these critical conversations.

I’d like to close with one of my favorite quotes from Dr. King. To paraphrase:

The ultimate measure of our community is not where we stand in moments of comfort and convenience, but where we stand at times of challenge and controversy.

Thank you for listening today. We will continue to provide you with updates when there is new information to share.
Old 02-26-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's classic. When Sanders gives everyone free college this is the kind of students who will be filling the classrooms. And this is the kind of idiot faculty who will be shepherding them through these four years of wasted time.
Old 02-26-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People that cannot afford college are all scheming black people?
Old 02-26-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

@ CRM114

But seriously, those 3 are aaaaaaass-hoooooles.
Old 02-26-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
People that cannot afford college are all scheming black people?
No, they're morons.

Everyone going to college is the opposite of what we should be doing in this country. If I knew a kid who couldn't afford college I'd tell him become an electrician. There's so much money to be made in the trades.
Old 02-26-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People that cannot afford college are morons?

I think you are saying people that can't afford college and don't have the grades to get real scholarships should be electricians. I don't disagree with that.
Old 02-26-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm saying the people in the article are morons despite their college attendance. There are colleges full of morons these days. And there will be more morons on their way if someone gives out free 13-16 grade.
Old 02-26-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But we are endlessly told that Americans aren't able to do the new high tech jobs and they need more education. We are told there are no more jobs for high school grads.
Old 02-26-16, 01:49 PM
Banned

Interesting item on Yahoo. https://www.yahoo.com/news/outraged-...154237383.html

A police officer father in the United States has taken to social media to complain about a piece of artwork displayed at his daughter’s school.

Kentucky cop Dave Hamblin is outraged by the painting which depicts two black people with a gun pointed at their head.

On one half of the painting, under the title “1930″, a Ku Klux Klan member is pointing the gun.

On the other half, titled “2015″, a white police officer is shown pointing the gun at what looks like a African American child.

The painting was from a school project inspired by racial violence depicted in Harper Lee’s book, To Kill A Mockingbird.

Police officer Dave Hamblin, who goes by the name Dave Kingmen on Facebook, says the picture is upsetting and creates “future cop haters”.
Old 02-26-16, 02:03 PM
Political Exile

Interesting item on Yahoo. https://www.yahoo.com/news/outraged-...154237383.html

A police officer father in the United States has taken to social media to complain about a piece of artwork displayed at his daughter’s school.

Kentucky cop Dave Hamblin is outraged by the painting which depicts two black people with a gun pointed at their head.

On one half of the painting, under the title “1930″, a Ku Klux Klan member is pointing the gun.

On the other half, titled “2015″, a white police officer is shown pointing the gun at what looks like a African American child.

The painting was from a school project inspired by racial violence depicted in Harper Lee’s book, To Kill A Mockingbird.

Police officer Dave Hamblin, who goes by the name Dave Kingmen on Facebook, says the picture is upsetting and creates “future cop haters”.

The painting was made by a student as part of a school project. I don't have any objection to that.

That being said, I'm surprised that a student was actually allowed to do something that depicted a gun without the student getting into any kind of trouble!

Old 02-26-16, 02:05 PM
Cool New Member

San Diego Chargers lineman Tyreek Burwell is Asha Burwell's brother and when the story first broke tweeted out a threat to one of the supposed attackers in the Albany hoax - no word yet if the NFL will take any action.
Old 02-26-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bus surveillance video:

Of those involved, the black women are the only ones I see who are throwing punches, clawing faces, hurling insulting comments, jumping on the backs of others, and otherwise committing assault against others. You be the judge.
Old 02-26-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

These days, people like those...in the videos...go to the back of the buses not in protest...but to be out of view of unbiased cameras.
Old 02-26-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is really striking because never in the history of the republic has a white person fabricated an assault by black people.
Old 02-26-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
This is really striking because never in the history of the republic has a white person fabricated an assault by black people.
What are you saying? That because people have lied in the past then it's perfectly okay for other people to lie as well?
Old 02-26-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. I'm saying that this is being played out by the usual suspects here as some sort of gotcha to black people.
Old 02-26-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dave Kingmen on Facebook, says the picture is upsetting and creates “future cop haters”.
Cops do a pretty good job creating future cop haters all by themselves. This pig probably doesn't like the competition.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.