Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-30-14, 03:49 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I hate all you white pieces of shit. Hate. HATE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Aw, that's how I feel about straight people!
As a straight white guy, all I can say is

Spoiler:
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 10-30-14, 03:51 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I can't speak for you, but yes, it would be worth my time.
Fair enough.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 10-30-14, 05:45 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Fair enough.

Most of my coworkers and friends are not big on political debate, so this is the only place I really get to argue with people.
Old 10-30-14, 06:53 PM   #79
DVD Talk God

No you don't.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 10-30-14, 06:58 PM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I've a condition!
Give it three months and you'll be skinning the weasel with the best of them.
Old 11-01-14, 12:28 PM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Hispanics are all Mexicans somehow. Or wetbacks.

etc etc.

Racism is still a big deal.

Arguably this probably is stemming more from whites than minorities. But minorities hate other minorities too cuz racism is fun.
I'm just glad to know that the term "wet*****" isn't racist cuz if it were, dvdtalk would replace it with a bunch of asterisks.
Old 11-02-14, 01:19 PM   #82
Banned

Chink

****, was supposed to be K ike.

I'm so pissed at DVDtalk giving blacks (and I guess Jews too) the privilge to not be called a N igger (no space) on here but fuck all the other ones. Fucking non saltined Crackers who make the site run.

Actually we should have a thread on "N igger" here. A lot of our members here are perfectly fine throwing that word to others. Black or not. That world ain't good in any context. Not with the history involved with but then you've got black culture in some forms which just throw the goddamn wrench in that one.

I've no qualms with allowing all words to not be covered by asterisks. If someone calls another member a N igger. Yeah. do something about it but when having a discussion with the word used in some context that isn't offensive? Should be free game. But nooooooooo.
Old 11-02-14, 01:35 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Hispanics are all Mexicans somehow. Or wetbacks.
Beaners, bean eaters, and taco vendors.
Old 11-02-14, 02:08 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

I think there's a vocal minority of racism. The majority doesn't care. But that vocal minority is a bitch.

People don't care like they once did. Let the racist generations continue to die off and people will care less and less.

What do you ******, **********, and ******** think about that?
Old 11-03-14, 12:21 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Beaners, bean eaters, and taco vendors.
Benders, goddamit. Get your epithets correct. Do you think Bender Bending Rodriguez was named out of the blue?
Old 11-03-14, 12:51 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Touche.
Old 11-03-14, 01:22 PM   #87
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 11-03-14, 02:13 PM   #88
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
And that's fine, but to also argue that there can't be any serious problems within the black community that don't originate from "systemic racism" is also contributing to shutting down the discussion.
But its really not relevant to this discussion. It's way down on the list of issues to be addressed. It's like talking about a homeowner's failure to paint their interior walls when the city's sewage system is blocked and gurgling up through the foundation.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 11-03-14, 02:27 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
What I see in this thread is that both sides seem to want the other to give up something in order for a discussion to happen. I'd just prefer that people could actually just discuss it calmly and rationally, but it seems obvious to me that both sides keep this from being able to happen.
Sorry, it strikes me irrational to believe that the sides in this need to give up "equal" accommodations to the other side. It's pretty obvious that one side is the vast minority in number AND the victim of centuries of oppression that continues today. To have an honest discussion, OUR side needs to come to a healthy acknowledgment of the above and then move from there. The problem is that we as whites refuse to take ownership of our role whether we personally have a hand in it or not.

Old 11-03-14, 02:46 PM   #90
DVD Talk God

I think to have an actual discussion, you need what you just said, but you also need to be able to have the majority speak without the fear of being labeled, called out, or whatever you want to call it. Again, the accusation of "racist" sticks like that of "child molester," and is believed to be accurate without any digging for proof. In that conversation, it should be to help educate an actual racist rather than just start another fight.

But I don't believe you can have the conversation without that. It would be nice if you could, hell, it would be ideal if you could, but you will always have the Jesse Jackson crowd wanting to control the conversation by negating any comments that can be misconstrued. At least that's what I imagine would happen.

Whites need to recognize (as you say) and Blacks need to not look for a soundbite to expose, imo.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 11-03-14, 02:56 PM   #91
DVD Talk Hero

You wouldn't be called a racist if you first acknowledged what I just said. The label of racist comes from not acknowledging in the slightest the position of power of the sides.

Old 11-03-14, 03:01 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
In that conversation, it should be to help educate an actual racist rather than just start another fight.
It is a bigger problem than just your common run of the mill racists. How do you address the systemic racism and racial priviledge that is being perpetuated by people who are not even aware of it or do not believe it exists?

Old 11-03-14, 04:59 PM   #93
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
You wouldn't be called a racist if you first acknowledged what I just said. The label of racist comes from not acknowledging in the slightest the position of power of the sides.
I spoke earlier about the guy who used the word "niggardly," and how he was fired, etc. Our society will call people racists for things that aren't racist. I'm not saying that is a huge problem, but if we are talking about a national discussion, it will come into play.

Her's another that we will disagree on, I'm sure. The Limbaugh/McNabb story. I watched it live and thought, "shit, that could take off if people don't understand the point (which I disagreed with). There was silence for 2 days, and then it was decided it was a racist comment, Limbaugh fired, Berhman and Jackson teary eyed the next Sunday.

The statement: "Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," Limbaugh said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

As I said before, in a perfect world, I'd agree with you. But to actually get the discussion going, human nature tends to want to argue and act offended. We have to be able to get past that first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
It is a bigger problem than just your common run of the mill racists. How do you address the systemic racism and racial priviledge that is being perpetuated by people who are not even aware of it or do not believe it exists?
Absolutely. There are great studies that find that ethnic names get culled from the application process quite frequently. It is a huge problem.

― Carl Sagan
Old 11-06-14, 06:52 AM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Um, I believe OUR side has had the floor for 500 years.

Race is a tricky thing to talk about honestly when you are a white guy seeking to understand other people better. I live in a predominantly African American part of Omaha and it has given my wife and I many opportunities to talk with our kids about how to treat and talk to others. Our kids have defiantly asked questions that our neighbors could have taken the wrong way and been offended by it, but our neighbors generally understand that kids don't have a filter. The tricky part for adults is that there are cultural references and history that you just don't know anything about, so you want to ask questions about it to better understand why people act differently than you. But there is a fear that you might be misunderstood or come off sounding insensitive/racist, so it is easier just to not ask or interact. I will say that in my experience, most black folk are pretty good at knowing the difference between a person who genuinely wants to understand something they don't know about and someone who is a prick.

The only problem I have with this idea of talking about race at large is that when a guy like Cosby basically says “get your crap together,” he gets hammered for it. A lot of the problems in the black community can be traced back to their out of wedlock birth rates and everything that flows out of that over the years.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 11-06-14, 07:03 AM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What would those be? I'm all ears.
The highest out of wedlock birth rate amoung any group would be problem #1. Lack of educational advancement stems from that. Lack of income equality stems from the educational advancement. Higher proportion of crime rates come from the broken home rate and lack of education.

None of the connections are exactly 1:1, but they are linked.

Old 11-06-14, 08:46 AM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
The highest out of wedlock birth rate amoung any group would be problem #1. Lack of educational advancement stems from that. Lack of income equality stems from the educational advancement. Higher proportion of crime rates come from the broken home rate and lack of education.

None of the connections are exactly 1:1, but they are linked.
No. Come on.
Old 11-06-14, 08:58 AM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
No. Come on.
You are right. Why would anyone link a super high broken home rate with crime or income inequality?

Old 11-06-14, 09:44 AM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

And you're onto one of the major reasons why Democrats lost a few seats this time around: Denial. They have a serious lack of addressing issues directly with its voter base. Instead, their solution is to sing songs, be Green, buy recycled panties, drive a Prius, put solar panels on your house, and the world will be a better place. La la la.

Every group needs a reality check on why they are currently in their situation.

The Chinese were seriously used and abused in the US, but nobody seems to address it. It seems only Black folks can have a historically relevant tragedy. Well, that's wrong. The Asian culture has come back significantly from being oppressed since the late 1800's, is focused on family, they take care of each other, and they are business minded. White families can't even compare to their overall compassion for the family.

Transpose that with typical Black families in the US. Black families don't have direction. They tell their kids to whine and complain, and live off money from the US Government. Why? Because it's OWED YOU.

Can't wait for a response...

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 11-06-14, 10:30 AM   #99
DVD Talk God

We have seen studies here about how if you don't have kids until you are married and if you stay married, the rate of poverty is incredibly low regardless of rate. I think it is a very valid point.

I wanted to get opinions on this, which I was reminded of with the Bill Cosby comment, which I think is quite apt. I think this goes to the point that both Whites and Blacks (and everyone else) need to first clean up their own house before we can get to a meaningful discussion between the two. If you can find the entire episode, watch it.

― Carl Sagan
Old 11-06-14, 10:53 AM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Every group needs a reality check on why they are currently in their situation.

The Chinese were seriously used and abused in the US, but nobody seems to address it. It seems only Black folks can have a historically relevant tragedy. Well, that's wrong. The Asian culture has come back significantly from being oppressed since the late 1800's, is focused on family, they take care of each other, and they are business minded. White families can't even compare to their overall compassion for the family.

Transpose that with typical Black families in the US. Black families don't have direction. They tell their kids to whine and complain, and live off money from the US Government. Why? Because it's OWED YOU.

Can't wait for a response...
Please, expand upon this. Why do black people think this way and the Chinese don't? Is it a conspiracy -- did all the black people get together and decide to complain loudly until white people give them free stuff and special rights? Or are black people just naturally that way, while the Chinese are inherently hard workers?

Do, do give us your analysis of what's wrong with black culture and how it came about.

Blog | Twitter