Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Watch SeaTac's $15 Minimum Wage Experiment

Old 11-11-13, 07:14 PM
Political Exile

I agree that this will make for an interesting experiment. Will these workers end up getting $15 an hour? Or, will they end up unemployed? Or, will it be some of both, and if so, what percentnage will get $15 an hour, and what percentage will end up unemployed? Only time will tell.

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/112...5-minimum-wage

November 11, 2013

Nov. 10--SEATAC voters' apparent acceptance of the $15 minimum wage has pumped up political excitement for a $15 wage in Seattle. So has the strong showing of Kshama Sawant, who made the $15 minimum a centerpiece in her campaign against Seattle City Councilmember Richard Conlin. But there is more to this than activist adrenaline.

Fifteen dollars is 61 percent higher than the 2014 minimum wage for Washington, $9.32, which itself is the highest minimum wage of any state. This page opposed the $15 wage because of the possible economic and social effects, particularly on new immigrants and first-time workers. The advocates pooh-poohed these fears and said the effects would be good.

Let's find out. SeaTac has just volunteered to conduct an economic experiment on itself.

Keep in mind the bounds of the experiment. The SeaTac initiative doesn't give a $15 wage to everybody. Many are inside the airport, which gives them captive customers. Other covered workers are in parking operations with 100-plus spaces or hotels with 100-plus rooms. What will these employers do? Will they pay and pass on the costs? Will they cut the number of rooms and employees? Will investors stop building hotels in SeaTac? Will airlines change operations to avoid higher labor costs here?

The advocates say good things will happen. They added up all the raises they expect and they say this will be good for business.

Let's find out. That means limiting the $15 minimum wage to SeaTac for the next year or two. Realize also that such an experiment at SeaTac will not settle everything because SeaTac's economy is much different from Seattle's, particularly in the way the airport provides a kind of shelter for workers inside it. Still, the results should say a lot.

Seattle Mayor-elect Ed Murray has said he could support a $15 minimum, but only after talking with all sides. He has suggested that any change would come over time and industry by industry, because industries are different. This is a smarter course than the I'll-outbid-you populism of defeated Mayor Mike McGinn, who suggested going even higher.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

Caution is warranted. It is easier to mess things up than to make them better.
Old 11-11-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Watch SeaTac's $15 Minimum Wage Experiment

This will be interesting. I expect the results will surprise both sides in ways we don't expect.
Old 11-11-13, 09:09 PM
Suspended

Isn't the theory that if you make more money...you'll spend more and be less dependent on the government? Also, at $15/hr, you won't qualify for food stamps (unless you have ~10 kids?) and most other welfare offerings, so the savings could theoretically be realized.

I don't expect a miracle, and at least it's being put into action so we can see how it works, what worked, and what did not.
Old 11-11-13, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Isn't the theory that if you make more money...you'll spend more and be less dependent on the government? Also, at $15/hr, you won't qualify for food stamps (unless you have ~10 kids?) and most other welfare offerings, so the savings could theoretically be realized.

I don't expect a miracle, and at least it's being put into action so we can see how it works, what worked, and what did not.
That money has to "come" from somewhere though right? By bumping up the wages it is potentially going to drive up the cost of the products/services to compensate for the increased payroll.
Old 11-11-13, 09:34 PM
Suspended

But on the other hand, if wages were all minimum, wouldn't we have a robust economy?

The amount of minimum wage jobs we have already--and more jobs being sliced as minimum-wage jobs (which were higher-paying jobs) and then cut below 40-hours a week--should point in the direction of a "healthy" economy, shouldn't it. I mean, companies who no longer have to pay healthcare because they are simply giving less work to their MW employees. Best of both worlds, right?

But of course, I don't think if everyone was paid minimum, we'd be better off. I also don't think if everyone was at $15/hr, we'd be better off. The problem I see...is discovering the sweet spot. How do we find it.

Some economists say it will work itself out naturally, but I take caution to that because the US Gov't doesn't let the economy work itself out naturally. Far from it, come to think of it. So, it does take experimentation from time to time.
Old 11-11-13, 09:47 PM

This is by far the best editorial I've read at aviationpros.com.
Old 11-11-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This is by far the best editorial I've read at aviationpros.com.
I take issue with that. I think it was the review of the Cessna 680. Bloody fine piece of writing.
Old 11-12-13, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
This will be interesting. I expect the results will surprise both sides in ways we don't expect.
Surprises we don't expect are often the best surprises.
Old 11-12-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
That money has to "come" from somewhere though right? By bumping up the wages it is potentially going to drive up the cost of the products/services to compensate for the increased payroll.
Yes, I think that will have to happen. But Seatac may be one of the few areas that this works simply because people end up there for travel and many that work there don't necessarily live there. I'm honestly excited to see how this goes, mainly because I don't live there and I don't expect it to affect me.
Old 11-12-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I fly out of Seatac maybe once a year or two. I already thought the food was a bit too expensive in their food courts, I can't imagine how much they are going to have to jack up the prices to pay for this mandate.

Idiots. All of them.
Old 11-12-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it has been shown you can keep jacking up taxes and prices on travelers ... maybe ma and pa kettle will pack a lunch or something, but people travelling for business will still pay and expense away.
Old 11-12-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whenever I see proposals to raise minimum wage by well over 50% and they come up with a convenient number like $15 and not $14.75 or $15.05, I wonder if they hired economists, reviewed available data and the result of the model just happened to be a nice round number like $15.00 right on the nose. Or did they skip any type of statistical analysis and just pick $15 from their asses because it sounds nice?

And who's making minimum wage at an airport anyway? Baggage Handlers? Mechanics? TSA agents? Ticket agents?

I'd have to think that it's the people working at the food courts and gift shops are the most likely to be making minimum wage.

I'll bet you'll see more of this:

and less of this:

And more vending machines. Why pay someone $15 an hour to make a crappy sandwich in the airport when you can pay someone $9 an hour a few miles away to make sandwiches and stock them inside vending machines?
Old 11-12-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You either pay in wages or you pay in taxes via government assistance.

Average fast food worker is 29 and on government assistance.

I seriously couldn't believe when I heard the median income was $27K. Fuck, I made that out of college 23 years ago. That's embarrassing.

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
THis assumes of course that the owner continues to draw the same amount of profit for himself. This is a no brainer assumption.

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
I fly out of Seatac maybe once a year or two. I already thought the food was a bit too expensive in their food courts, I can't imagine how much they are going to have to jack up the prices to pay for this mandate.

Idiots. All of them.
Is this a joke post?

And vending machine sandwiches? Wow. We are becoming Idiocracy.
Old 11-12-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
And vending machine sandwiches? Wow. We are becoming Idiocracy.
When was the last time you were at an airport?
Old 11-12-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In August. I flew to Nashville, unfortunately.
Old 11-12-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In August. I flew to Nashville, unfortunately.
I'm surprised you didn't see pre-made sandwiches for sale anywhere. But you must have been too busy trying to walk around with your eyes closed, afraid to even look at someone from a red state.
Old 11-12-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course I saw pre-made sandwiches. I wouldn't eat them but I saw them. I do remember some guy eating Popeyes for like 30 minutes in the terminal and he was still eating it on the plane. I'm guessing he bought his disgusting pile of food from a person.
Old 11-12-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course I saw pre-made sandwiches. I wouldn't eat them but I saw them. I do remember some guy eating Popeyes for like 30 minutes in the terminal and he was still eating it on the plane. I'm guessing he bought his disgusting pile of food from a person.
Do you think that the Popeye's eater voted for a Republican?
Old 11-12-13, 04:25 PM
Banned by request

Let us take a moment for silent reflection on the horror that CRM114 had to watch a third party eat food that he considered disgusting.
Old 11-12-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-12-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For what it's worth, the food selection at SeaTac is fantastic, in the main terminal. Out at the gates, you'll find your usual travel fare.
Old 11-12-13, 08:07 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Whenever I see proposals to raise minimum wage by well over 50% and they come up with a convenient number like $15 and not $14.75 or $15.05, I wonder if they hired economists, reviewed available data and the result of the model just happened to be a nice round number like $15.00 right on the nose. Or did they skip any type of statistical analysis and just pick $15 from their asses because it sounds nice?

And who's making minimum wage at an airport anyway? Baggage Handlers? Mechanics? TSA agents? Ticket agents?

I'd have to think that it's the people working at the food courts and gift shops are the most likely to be making minimum wage.

I'll bet you'll see more of this:

and less of this:

And more vending machines. Why pay someone $15 an hour to make a crappy sandwich in the airport when you can pay someone $9 an hour a few miles away to make sandwiches and stock them inside vending machines?

I agree with you that a $15 minimum wage could cause food workers to be replaced with vending machines.

But I question the intelligence of giving that food away for "free," as it says in that picture.
Old 11-12-13, 08:47 PM
Banned by request

Surely you're not actually that dense as to think that the response to this will be to fire everyone and just give away the food for free.
Old 11-12-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like SeaTac's idea, but I think they should be more cautious. They should increase the minimum wage over the course of several years (e.g. $1 per year for a span of 5 years). Also, they should emulate Australia and use an age-dependent pay scale. Australian adults make a minimum of $16.88 per hour, but teenagers make less.
Old 11-13-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Let us take a moment for silent reflection on the horror that CRM114 had to watch a third party eat food that he considered disgusting.
People that bring food like fried chicken on airplanes are idiots. Maybe not as bad as people that wear pasta strainers on their heads, but still rude idiots.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.