Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Atheist Megachurches

Old 11-10-13, 07:58 PM
Banned

Atheist Megachurches

Confirming the idea that atheism is akin to a religion (for some, at least):

http://www.mail.com/news/us/2450380-...age-subhero1-2
Old 11-10-13, 08:16 PM
Banned

Re: Atheist Megachurches

Is mail.com satire like The Onion?

An atheist church makes no sense. Either that article is satire or the church is just playing a joke similar to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Either way its not actually serious news.
Old 11-10-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are already megachurches that have nothing to do with God. People congregate by the tens of thousands every Sunday to celebrate at football games.
Old 11-10-13, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There are already megachurches that have nothing to do with God. People congregate by the tens of thousands every Sunday to celebrate at football games.
That concept is nothing new. It goes back to ancient Roman Empire times with the Colosseum, if not even further back than that. I think the amphitheatre concept pre-dates the Roman Empire, its just the Colosseum is the most well known.
Old 11-10-13, 09:00 PM
Banned

Roll Tide.
Old 11-10-13, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Roll Tide.
The Megachurch of all Megachurches.

Except that everyone else (except Texas) thinks that Nick is the Great Satan.

BTW, Rip...you DO know that Nick was banned from Otterville, don't you?
Old 11-10-13, 09:31 PM
Banned

Go Blue.
Old 11-10-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Orgs like the Rotary Club and the Shriners are not considered religions. In a way, I'm heartened to hear that more atheists, agnostics, and humanists are convening. Birds of a feather...
I may be channeling Captain Obvious here, but whatever one does, espouses, or joins, one must be vigilant to always keep an open mind, which is oft easier said than done when one is bombarded by so much loudly stated opinion masquerading as fact.
Old 11-11-13, 02:44 AM
Banned by request

So communal gatherings are now the sole province of religion?
Old 11-11-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

They don't bash believers but want to find a new way to meet likeminded people, engage in the community and make their presence more visible in a landscape dominated by faith. Jones got the first inkling for the idea while leaving a Christmas carol concert six years ago.

"There was so much about it that I loved, but it's a shame because at the heart of it, it's something I don't believe in," Jones said. "If you think about church, there's very little that's bad. It's singing awesome songs, hearing interesting talks, thinking about improving yourself and helping other people — and doing that in a community with wonderful relationships. What part of that is not to like?"
I like this part very much.

That impulse, however, has raised the ire of those who have spent years pushing back against the idea that atheism itself is a religion. "The idea that you're building an entire organization based on what you don't believe, to me, sounds like an offense against sensibility," said Michael Luciano, a self-described atheist who was raised Roman Catholic but left when he became disillusioned.

"There's something not OK with appropriating all of this religious language, imagery and ritual for atheism," said Luciano, who blogged about the movement at the site policymic.com. That sentiment didn't seem to detract from the excitement Sunday at the inaugural meeting in Los Angeles.
And now the "true" Atheists are treating these people like the hardcore Catholics would treat a Protestant. They learn the behavior so quickly.

During the service, attendees stomped their feet, clapped their hands and cheered as Jones and Evans led the group through rousing renditions of "Lean on Me," ''Here Comes the Sun" and other hits that took the place of gospel songs. Congregants dissolved into laughter at a get-to-know-you game that involved clapping and slapping the hands of the person next to them and applauded as members of the audience spoke about community service projects they had started in LA.

At the end, volunteers passed cardboard boxes for donations as attendees mingled over coffee and pastries and children played on the floor. For atheist Elijah Senn, the morning was perfect. "I think the image that we have put forward in a lot of ways has been a scary, mean, we want to tear down the walls, we want to do destructive things kind of image is what a lot of people have of us," he said. "I'm really excited to be able to come together and show that it's not about destruction. It's about making things and making things better."
Honestly sounds like a great thing so long as they don't get beat up by the true Atheists.

Very cool.
Old 11-11-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Go Blue.
Concur.

Spoiler:
Old 11-11-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And now the "true" Atheists
The "true atheists" are the millions who silently exist all over the country. Anyone that needs to make a point of their atheism (outside the courts or their own conversation) is silly.
Old 11-11-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Atheists at the brink of death suddenly are no longer atheists.
Old 11-11-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand that the press is too ignorant to know what a megachurch is and too stupid and lazy to care to look it up, but creekdipper? Come on man, I expected better.
Old 11-11-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post

Old 11-11-13, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Concur.

Spoiler:
Let's hear it for the boys!
Old 11-11-13, 01:17 PM
Banned by request

What's sad is that there are tons of great gospel songs, and plenty of artists have adapted them to be non-religious. Only a true atheist can appreciate real gospel!
Old 11-11-13, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I understand that the press is too ignorant to know what a megachurch is and too stupid and lazy to care to look it up, but creekdipper? Come on man, I expected better.
Didn't think I could lower your expectations any further. I guess I should be flattered.

(Not a fan of megachurches)

Edit: I went back & multi-quoted several messages (re-posted below) to avoid being accused of running up my post count (which never occurred to me before someone mentioned it a while back, but it would look bad to post a whole series of quotes in a thread that I started).

Anyway, I forgot to multi-quote maxfisher's...and multi-quoting one of the others makes mallet's response below look strangely prescient since it now appears before the original comment. Undone by technology once again!

Last edited by creekdipper; 11-11-13 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 01:30 PM
Banned by request

Oh, I am quite familiar with mud wrestling. And jello wrestling. And wrestling with two naked women on a Saturday night after too much rum...
Old 11-11-13, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post

Makes perfect sense since they will end up in atheist-friendly China.

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Honestly sounds like a great thing so long as they don't get beat up by the true Atheists.
Get ready for the Unholy Wars.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
So communal gatherings are now the sole province of religion?
Not familiar with WWE and mud wrestling? Broaden your horizons, mallet!

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
What's sad is that there are tons of great gospel songs, and plenty of artists have adapted them to be non-religious. Only a true atheist can appreciate real gospel!
One of my all-time favorite hymns ("A Mighty Fortress is Our God" penned by Martin Luther) is sung to the tune of an old German drinking song, I believe.
Old 11-11-13, 01:40 PM
Banned

Next there will be 'official' atheist universities (besides Stanford). Wonder what their mascot will be?

And don't say Red Elephants or Crimson Tide...or Nittany Lions, for that matter. And no Flying Spaghetti Monsters.

I would vote for the Big Nothing as the mascot.
Old 11-11-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Humorous myth created by the devotional.
Old 11-11-13, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Next there will be 'official' atheist universities (besides Stanford). Wonder what their mascot will be?
<marquee></marquee>
Old 11-11-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Humorous myth created by the devotional.
How many people have you watched die?
Old 11-11-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many people have you watched die?
Just that one guy I shot in Reno

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.