Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Government shut down stories

Old 10-09-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Government shut down stories

Typical military industrial complex spending. Get rid of it. I'm with you.

But the bull did come from State College, PA as indicated in it's funding page.
Old 10-09-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Regarding your final point, I think it is sad that the democratic led Senate has avoided using the normal budget process for so many years that some people, apparently even Ried himself, think it inappropriate for congress to "cherry pick" individual program budgets when appropriating funds.
"Some people" would include myself and, I would think, most sane individuals. In the past, when Congress could leverage the "good 'ol boy" network and ear marks to compromise and push through appropriations bills, this could have and did work. With the current state of our government, this would simply be a disaster. We would be in a perpetual state of partial shutdown as Congress tried to monkey badly with funds for several government agencies they didn't like.

As to the first part of your response, why didn't the GOP House simply try and de-fund the ACA? They obviously want to and that, at least, would be a clear-cut budgetary decision instead of the "well, the mandate is a tax" rationalization you cited. They passed resolutions 40+ times to repeal or de-fund. Eighty of them signed a piece of paper stating that was their intent. So why didn't they?
Old 10-09-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or get rid of it by winning the Senate next year. Oh wait...they'll have trouble maintaining the House majority.
Old 10-09-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

Lake Mead property owners forced out until shutdown ends
By Jacqui Heinrich
CREATED Oct. 4, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they're being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land.

Joyce Spencer is 77-years-old and her husband Ralph is 80. They've been spending most of their time in the family ice cream store since going home isn't an option.

The Spencers never expected to be forced out of their Lake Mead home, which they've owned since the 70s, but on Thursday, a park ranger said they had 24 hours to get out.

"I had to go to town today and buy Ralph undershirts and jeans because I forgot his pants," Joyce Spencer told Action News.

The Stewart's Point home sits on federal land, so even though the Spencers own their cabin outright, they're not allowed in until the government reopens.

Park officials said property owners can visit only to retrieve belongings; they sent Action News a statement which reads in part, "Unfortunately overnight stays are not permitted until a budget is passed and the park can reopen."

Joyce Spencer said she's alright in the meantime, staying with nearby family, but the move was a lot to handle as a senior citizen.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Spencer said. "We're not hurt in any way except it might cost me if I have to go buy more pants."

The Lake Mead properties are considered vacation homes; one of the lease requirements to own a plot is people must have an alternative residence.

Regardless, the Spencers said it's their property and they should be allowed in, shutdown or not.
http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/226557661.html

They were probably recreating too!
Old 10-09-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 439 Posts

John Boehner’s order: Keep congressional gym open

Just because the government has gone into shutdown mode doesn’t mean members of Congress have to give up their exercise routines.

Per order of House Speaker John A. Boehner’s office: Keep the members-only workout facility open for use, the New York Post reported. The liberal group Think Progress initially reported the order.

The gym, subsidized by taxpayers, is an elite and secured club for members of Congress only. Most outside of Capitol Hill weren’t even aware of its presence until former Rep. Anthony Weiner photographed himself in the locker room in 2011 and those pictures went viral.

The gym door does not even have a sign on it, the New York Post reported, and congressional members must be buzzed in to enter. Still, the shutdown has hit the facility on a couple counts: Users won’t have paid trainers or gym staff to hand them freshly cleaned towels.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ressional-gym/
I guess members of Congress need to stay fit to outrun the mobs of people wondering where their taxpayer money went.
Old 10-09-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I guess members of Congress need to stay fit to outrun the mobs of people wondering where their taxpayer money went.
Damn, I'd love to see what that type of private club looks like.
Old 10-09-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just had lunch with a Fed friend of mine who is in "excepted" status (i.e., he is working). They get paid bi-weekly and their last pay check was on 9/26. Their next check will not be coming on 10/10, but on 10/17, a week late. Plus, they will only be paid a partial check for the days within the past pay period that were pre-furlough. So check a week late and only about half a check.

Additionally, they have been advised that they may have to work Monday (which is a Federal holiday normally) since no "leave status", to include holidays, is being recognized.

They have still not been notified if they are ever going to be paid for their work these past two weeks.
Old 10-09-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Just had lunch with a Fed friend of mine who is in "excepted" status (i.e., he is working). They get paid bi-weekly and their last pay check was on 9/26. Their next check will not be coming on 10/10, but on 10/17, a week late. Plus, they will only be paid a partial check for the days within the past pay period that were pre-furlough. So check a week late and only about half a check.

Additionally, they have been advised that they may have to work Monday (which is a Federal holiday normally) since no "leave status", to include holidays, is being recognized.

They have still not been notified if they are ever going to be paid for their work these past two weeks.
Is he or she a park ranger? This information will help me determine how much to hate them.
Old 10-09-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Is he or she a park ranger? This information will help me determine how much to hate them.
This would be funny if anybody believed said park rangers are acting unilaterally.
Old 10-09-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Nope, he's a special agent with a three-letter.
Old 10-09-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the dates your friend gave you are incorrect, unless his agency is paid completely differently. The last official pay date was 10/3 (for 9/7-9/21, although funds were typically deposited on 9/30. The next official pay is scheduled for 10/17, but will only include 9/22-9/30, even for excepted employees that had to continue working.

He is correct about the holiday. Excepted employees are not permitted to take leave of any kind, including sick or holiday. What I've heard is that if they need to take sick leave, they are then put in furlough status and can't return until everyone else can. That part may differ from agency to agency, though.

Excepted employees who have been working must be paid by law. They don't know when they are actually going to receive the money, but they will get it some time. This doesn't apply to DoD, which should be getting paid normally due to the separate law recently passed.
Old 10-09-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I have been wondering what the work contracts look like. They must have some provision about a shutdown. Similarly, like the people kicked out of their homes on Lake Mead, there must be something in the lease that spells out that they can be displaced. Or there must be law to that effect, but I would suspect there isn't a law that specifically covers it.

The work thing seems like it would go against employment laws already on the books.
Old 10-09-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I have been wondering what the work contracts look like. They must have some provision about a shutdown. Similarly, like the people kicked out of their homes on Lake Mead, there must be something in the lease that spells out that they can be displaced. Or there must be law to that effect, but I would suspect there isn't a law that specifically covers it.

The work thing seems like it would go against employment laws already on the books.
Regular Federal employees don't have contracts. It is at-will. It doesn't go against employment laws - these are the Federal employment laws. They might go against various state employment laws, but it's not like the Feds care about that.
Old 10-09-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On further thought, Feds in a union (I am not) may have a contract. But the various laws at play here trump all of those contracts.
Old 10-09-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
This would be funny if anybody believed said park rangers are acting unilaterally.
Oh, they're all part of the secret federal worker cabal. Mwuahahahaaa!!!
Old 10-09-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Or get rid of it by winning the Senate next year. Oh wait...they'll have trouble maintaining the House majority.
Want to bet?
Old 10-09-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Everything I've read by every side of the aisle says that the Republicans aren't in any real danger of losing the House. I suppose the tide could seriously turn, but it can turn the other way as well.
Old 10-09-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

And most reasonable people (not blindly partisan) tend to see a divided government as better than 1 party controlling it all. That kind of shit can get you the ACA and get a Republican to win the Kennedy seat.
Old 10-09-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...st_762324.html

The Blog
Authorities Tell Memorial Mower: Get Lost
12:51 PM, Oct 9, 2013 By JIM SWIFT

Send to Kindle
Single Page Print Larger Text Smaller Text Alerts

Earlier today, an unidentified bearded man took it upon himself to bring his lawnmower and a few tools to the Lincoln Memorial to provide free groundskeeping work to the closed federal monument.

It's unclear how much of the expansive lawn behind the memorial was mowed, but Park Police were alerted and three cruisers with multiple officers showed up.

THE WEEKLY STANDARD watched the officers observing the mystery mower from a distance, as he appeared to be packing it up for the day, carefully placing his blue South Carolina flag in a tube attached to his tool-toting dolly.

According to Park Police public information officer Sergeant Paul Brooks, there was no arrest made. "He was asked to leave, and he complied," said Brooks.

On Twitter, Brandon Morse shared a photo of the mystery memorial mower:

Three cruisers full of cops to tell someone who wants to mow the lawn to get lost?
Old 10-09-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Law Enforcement throughout the United States should refuse to enforce laws on Federal property, and send a message to Obama and Congress to enforce those laws themselves.
Old 10-09-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 452 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Everything I've read by every side of the aisle says that the Republicans aren't in any real danger of losing the House. I suppose the tide could seriously turn, but it can turn the other way as well.
There is practically no chance the Democrats win the House in 2014.
Old 10-09-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
There is practically no chance the Democrats win the House in 2014.
http://election.princeton.edu/2013/1...ouse-majority/

Since the election is over a year away, it is hard to predict how this will translate to future seat gain/loss. If the election were held today, Democrats would pick up around 30 seats, giving them control of the chamber. I do not expect this to happen. Many things will happen in the coming 12 months, and the current crisis might be a distant memory. But at this point I do expect Democrats to pick up seats next year, an exception to the midterm rule.

Note that in these calculations I did not even include the worst of the news for Republicans. In a followup series of questions, PPP then told respondents that their representative voted for the shutdown. At that point, the average swing moved a further 3.1% toward Democrats, and 22 out of 24 points were in the gray zone. That would be more like a 50-seat gain for Democrats equivalent to a wave election. An analyst would have to be crazy to predict that! However, it seems like mandatory information for a Democratic campaign strategist or any Republican incumbent who won by less than 20 points in 2012.
Old 10-10-13, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://blogs.rollcall.com/rothenblog...e-in-play-now/

Old 10-10-13, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I tend to put more stock in Sam Wang than Stu Rothenberg, but whatever -- both are thoughtful and both raise good points. Time will tell with respect to the midterms, but I think it's clear that right now, the Republicans are doing serious damage to their brand. Some of that damage will be repaired by next November. Will it be enough repair? Probably. But not definitely.
Old 10-10-13, 08:40 AM

Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts

For me, worst-case scenario for the Republicans is they only pick up a few House seats next year. I guess that could change if the shutdown continues longer than I think it will, and voters go out of their way to blame the GOP for it, but I doubt it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.