Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What is the Bible to you?
Every word is factual.
7.34%
It's a collection of moral themes.
40.37%
It's nothing but fairy tales.
45.87%
Twikoff
6.42%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

What is the Bible to you

Old 09-15-13, 01:31 PM
Banned by request

Re: What is the Bible to you

If these medals are any indication, then yes. Either that or I managed to run faster than some special needs kids at some kind of Olympic event. I wasn't paying close attention.
Old 09-15-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
[Quoted separately since the other point matched another poster's comment}

I have to respectfully disagree. How one worships is the mode of worship. Who one worships depends upon the character of the deity. A monotheistic god cannot be the same entity as a triune God. That line of thinking would agree with atheists who say that no true God exists and that people just invent their own version of gods (which includes atheists who worship themselves as the final authority). In that view, either everyone is right or no one is right, which neuters religious belief as nothing more than a self-help device to cope.
True in both cases, although (hopefully) the Jews won't behead the messenger.

Actually, I've told that to a Jew, and she agrees with me. If a Christian believes that Jesus & the Holy Spirit are also God along with Yahweh, then by definition he/she worships a different God from a Jew who denies the divinity of Christ. That should be easy to understand.

A Jew can say that both Christians and Jews worship the same Old Testament God, but the nature of God is entirely different; therefore, logically, the two have to be distinctly different.

When Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life...no man comes to the Father except by me", and "When you have seen me, you have seen the Father", it's difficult to see how one can reconcile the two views as the same (except for wishful thinking).

Saying that one view just "adds" the other doesn't cut it when the second view entirely changes the nature of God.
Well then we'll simply have to agree to disagree on this matter.

By the way, thanks for keeping the tone civil. I really appreciate that.
Old 09-16-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course not. It's a ploy to allow hypocrites to assuage their conscience.

And to jump on a trendy bandwagon in order to be, like, groovy & not square, ya dig?

Taking polygamy cases to court in attempts to have laws overturned qualifies as "organized" efforts to normalize it. Otherwise, they wouldn't make the national news.

Maybe when the polygamists organize their "Sister Wives Pride" parades, you'll finally come around.
So, are you saying that you are a pro-polygamist and believe in multiple partner marriages?
Old 09-16-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW I have no problem with polygamy. If someone wants that much aggravation in their life, not my problem.
Old 09-16-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
FWIW I have no problem with polygamy. If someone wants that much aggravation in their life, not my problem.