Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Obama also wants preschool for all

Old 02-15-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Obama also wants preschool for all

I've seen reports that call this Obama's 'boldest' proposal. Will cost about $10 billion a year.

I always thought it was required. I was shocked to read that many places had waiting lists.

I guess it's a good idea.
Old 02-15-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Obama also wants preschool for all

I think pre-school is pretty good, but not for educational achievement, but for providing the little woman (or man) refuge from the brats.
Old 02-15-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

he said all proposals could be done without adding to debt. did he say how he'd pay for this?

in GA we pay with the lottery. a terrible tax on stupid people
Old 02-15-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
he said all proposals could be done without adding to debt. did he say how he'd pay for this?
Abortions mostly, which also reduces enrollment costs after a few years.
Old 02-15-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't matter if it's $5, $10, $20 or even $50 Billion...seriously....has costs slowed hiim down or made him reconsider? This will be thrown in the states lap along cost of Obamacare and everything else being some mandate. It'll end up being some "law" thru the Dept of Education or worse...Executive Order. Whatever the case, it'll cost more than a dime and will add to the deficit.
Old 02-15-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I think pre-school is pretty good, but not for educational achievement, but for providing the little woman (or man) refuge from the brats.
IF you live somewhere where there are more children than tumbleweeds, you might know that many children present in kindergarten without even the most basic knowledge of letters or colors. If your preference is to educate these children on things they should know already before entering the public system, then the status quo is fine. If you wish to get all kids, regardless of their parents' lack of parental involvement, on the path to a decent education, then funding preschool is a good way to do it.
Old 02-15-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a good thing that only so much economically ruinous legislation can be passed within eight years.
Old 02-15-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 02-15-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Or we can have the alternative, a half illiterate nation with collapsing bridges. Yay, free market solutions!
Old 02-15-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post

in GA we pay with the lottery. a terrible tax on stupid people
He also said the Affordable Care Act would be budget neutral.

Based on the success of Head Start, this will cost money and no outcome will be changed.
Old 02-15-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Or we can have the alternative, a half illiterate nation with collapsing bridges. Yay, free market solutions!
I remember when we had that, before Republicans took away preschool.
Old 02-15-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why stop at preschool? Free daycare from birth.
Of course the Republicans would only go along with it if it was free daycare from conception.
Old 02-15-13, 07:16 PM
Banned

I knew that the President was stretching the truth when he said that "study after study" has shown that pre-school means kids "doing better" down the road in school.

Do your own fact-checking, and you'll find that "studies" have shown that almost all educational gains from attending pre-school/Head Start disappear by third grade.

One benefit that somewhat validates his vague statement about 'doing better' is that AT-RISK kids who participate in early childhood are somewhat more likely to GRADUATE.

That would qualify as 'doing better', but I doubt that anyone thinks that is what the President was implying.

It's sort of like his statement about "undocumenteds" "going to the back of the line". That could mean going to the back of the line for those already in the country with green cards who are applying for permanent residency. Even if it meant going to the ACTUAL "back of the line" (including those in other countries awaiting their turn), it still doesn't acknowledge that the illegals get to stay here and work while going through their "path to citizenship", while those who have going the legal route in other countries don't get that privilege.

Subterfuge is a wonderful asset to any politician.
Old 02-15-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure how this would work. I sent my niece to pre-school (and a few years of daycare at Tutor Time). She knows a lot of what she'd learn in grades K-3. So what are they going to do? Get rid of K or something?

Seems like a weird move. I think it's fine the way it is. Maybe just start K when kids are 4 instead of 5?
Old 02-15-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it's a good idea.

My daughter* went to pre-K and she's doing great in kindergarten because she went in with some basic knowledge and it has helped things go more smoothly for her.

*I call her my daughter but she is technically not. My fiance is her guardian and we plan on adopting her later this year. She calls me dad and I consider her my own.
Old 02-15-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Coincidentally, I was clearing out some old podcasts and just listened to this:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...-with-it?act=4

BTW, while some studies show that the advantages of pre-school disappear over a few years, others show decidedly long-lasting positive effects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HighSco...of_the_program
Old 02-15-13, 08:17 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Why stop at preschool? Free daycare from birth.
Of course the Republicans would only go along with it if it was free daycare from conception.
Even if it's not cost effective, it's easier for us to just turn our kids over to the state to mold in the appropriate way. So the earlier, the better.
Old 02-15-13, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Obama
"This works. We know it works. If you're looking for a good bang for your educational buck this is it."
Uhuh.
Old 02-15-13, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's amazing to me that anyone could be anti-preschool. But then I saw who was posting.
Old 02-16-13, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Seems like a weird move. I think it's fine the way it is. Maybe just start K when kids are 4 instead of 5?
Not weird at all. It allows the fed to talk about how education is so important to them while doing almost nothing.

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It's amazing to me that anyone could be anti-preschool. But then I saw who was posting.
I think this is generally how we mischaracterize things around here. "Oh, you are against the government getting involved in issue X....why are you against issue X?"

I doubt seriously that anyone is is anti-preschool. But it sure does make them sound like butts to say they are.
Old 02-16-13, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kids who are in pre-school are there because their parents are involved in their education. The parents are the key. Pre-school is good but it will not replace parental involvement. Our kids went but we worked with them at home on education. Pre-school was more of getting the kids used to a new environment with other kids and different adults. I don't think this will have the effect he thinks it will have.
Old 02-16-13, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Kids who are in pre-school are there because their parents are involved in their education. The parents are the key. Pre-school is good but it will not replace parental involvement. Our kids went but we worked with them at home on education. Pre-school was more of getting the kids used to a new environment with other kids and different adults. I don't think this will have the effect he thinks it will have.
This is absolutely correct. Parenting classes would do more good than preschool for everyone. You can mandate that kids go to preschool, but if the parents still don't read with the kids every night, the benefits won't last. They will get a head start and it will be lost in a few years.

People think that education can be solved by the government, and it can't. It must be taken on by the parents.
Old 02-16-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's all fine and good, but parents who aren't going to do it...aren't going to do it. So now what?
Old 02-16-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
That is not the only reason. There are some/many kids who are in pre-school because their parents work... it's the next stage after daycare.

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
That's all fine and good, but parents who aren't going to do it...aren't going to do it. So now what?
There have always been parents who weren't going to take ownership of their children's education. Why is it now a problem that needs to be addressed? What has changed?

Progressives believe that more change is always the answer, Conservatives believe that more change is always the problem. And so it goes.
Old 02-16-13, 08:41 AM
Banned

Guess I was lucky. I never went to preschool. My mom taught me all the stuff I'd learn by the time I was in the 1st grade. Granted...the problem w/ that was that she didn't explain to me wtf Kindergarten was exactly to me. I hated Kindergarten. I didn't learn shit. All I learned was that I was the only non Black or White kid there.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.