Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-03-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I respect his opinion to not want to vote for Trump, but it's the same with a Bernie supporter who will vote for Trump because they can't stand Hillary.

I think these people need to form a another party.

They might actually get more voters who will take them seriously, instead of looking at them like little spoiled children who got their favorite flavor of lollipop taken out of their mouth.

If Tom Nichols really is going to vote for Hillary, then if she wins, he sure as hell better not be the whiny bitch he is now for the next 4 or more years, saying how bad Democrats are.

Because all I see on his cute blog is complaining about Liberals and Democrats.

If Tom had any amount of brains...he'd vote for Bernie, not Hillary. For a guy who rants about big government, he should be voting for ANYONE else but Hillary. Hell, vote for Gary Johnson.

So, it seems like either Tom is just a typical retard voter we all talk about, or he's purposely voting for Hillary because he wants to do as much damage to the Republican Party as he can, because he didn't get his favorite religious extremist candidate in office. So, if you look at this, it's NOT ABOUT being smart and voting for Hillary, it's simply he's wanting to blow as much shit up as he can when he leaves the room. Interesting, since people him were accusing Trump of doing this.

Being the religious extremist he is, it is not surprising he wants to destroy something if it does not go his way.

I'm not sure I'd want that fucker voting in my party, just for giggles.

I'd respect Tom more if he was voting for Bernie, but since he's automatically going for Hillary, it's an obvious ploy to make himself feel better and if Hillary wins, he can proudly say on his blog, "Ha ha! I got you!"

And since Tom has been in the Military, I have three more words:

SUCK IT UP.
I don't believe he is any sort of religious nut. He's a writer for The Federalist when he's not teaching at the Naval War College and the Harvard extension. He's pretty much a standard conservative as it was defined pre-Trump. He's a leading expert on the USSR, Russia and deterrent policy. He's not voting for Bernie because Bernie won't be running in the general election. He won't vote 3rd party because then there is a chance that Trump sneaks in. He wants a responsible person with a sane head and views the role as Commander in Chief as the single most important consideration when choosing a President. So do I. I'd actively campaign AND vote for Mitt Romney if he was running in the general against Trump because I know Romney understands the role and it's responsibility.
Old 06-03-16, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
You keep lobbing them up for me, don't you.
You seem to think this corporatist President thing is a new phenomenon. You are old enough to know better. You sound like a 19 year old BernieBot hiding in their safe space.

Seriously, do you guys read these things and honestly think they apply to one of them more than the other? If Hillary calling Putin Hitler doesn't start anything, this is just overblown bullshit the Clinton campaign hopes resonates because she doesn't have something to present other than fear.
That's the difference. Hillary knows EXACTLY what ramifications calling Putin "Hitler" holds. She has been in world leaders' presence and has negotiated things like cease fires and military partnerships. Trump hasn't done squat except tuck his tie to the side and eat fucking shrimp cocktail in Trump Tower. He has no fucking idea what his words mean. Hillary knows exactly what each word means. She's done the work. Do you think Trump knows what continent Sudan is in?

Last edited by CRM114; 06-03-16 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dear San Jose cholos (and mayor): I would prefer that Donald Trump not be the next President. Would you mind not helping propel him to the White House? Thanks!
Old 06-03-16, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I did. I also saw a link on Drudge (it's still there). I didn't see it reported on any mainstream media sites but then again it's not the kind of thing I would imagine mainstream media sites would want to report on - even if it is true.
Now you know why one media has credibility and the other doesn't. Geez, the Repubs just constructed their own perfect bubble where the non-existence of a bullshit story means they are covering for someone.

Everything seems to come around to this idea that we must choose one of these turds over the other.
Um, yeah, that's how US elections work.

Originally Posted by coli View Post
My take with Bill Kristol is he doesn't want #NeverTrump Republicans like myself to vote for the Libertarian party, so that is why he is trotting out David French, knowing he has no chance. I can't stand Kristol as he is a Neo-Con, and Libertarians like me don't want to get involved in everyone's business around the world.
Since many or most conservatives seem to be REALLY concerned about illegal immigration, what do you believe these GOP voters will think of the Libertarian party's position on immigration - basically a no-borders policy?

Oh I bet she scores a good one!

Let me guess: "I helped kill Osama!!!!! I'm tough on terror!!!!!!"

Gotta make sure California doesn't get any WILD ideas...like choosing somebody else.
No, she completely owned him in grand fashion.

Last edited by CRM114; 06-03-16 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Dear San Jose cholos (and mayor): I would prefer that Donald Trump not be the next President. Would you mind not helping propel him to the White House? Thanks!
Old 06-03-16, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I seriously doubt this will attract MORE Trump supporters. He's tapped out. The ones who are fence-sitting, are much more open-minded.

Unless you mean more will be driven away? If so, it very well may be if he continues like this.
Why don't you tell us what you think of your prized candidate classifying a judge with a case against him by ethnicity and ridiculing him in public for having the gall to actually take a case against the Donald. Try to answer without using the word Hillary if that's possible.
Old 06-03-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
No, I'm saying his popularity will increase. There is a lot of racial resentment in this country and Trump is making it okay to bring it to light. It'll get worse.
Jesus, that's so cynical. I'd like to think that those are just the louder voices in the country right now, but a minority, and the people who don't have this racial resentment are more numerous, but are just more quiet about it, going on with their lives because it's not a big deal to them.
Old 06-03-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Go on Twitter for any period of time and you will notice a common thread - Trump voters don't know exactly how uninformed they really are. It's not that they are necessarily stupid, its that they don't know WHAT they don't know. They are essentially voting blind. There's a name for this in psychology, the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
Old 06-03-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Jesus, that's so cynical. I'd like to think that those are just the louder voices in the country right now, but a minority, and the people who don't have this racial resentment are more numerous, but are just more quiet about it, going on with their lives because it's not a big deal to them.
Honestly, I kept hoping that he'd do or say something that would cause people to realize he shouldn't be in this race. And yet, with every awful idea, insane tweet and racist comment, his popularity grew. So I guess that's what a bunch of people in his country want their Commander In Chief to be.
Old 06-03-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Trump didn't know what the nuclear triad is. Do you want a President that doesn't know what the fucking nuclear triad is? Do you think his followers have any idea either?
Old 06-03-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
FWIW, according to a racial attitudes survey conducted by the Associated Press in 2012, since Obama became president racism towards minorities has increased.

AP poll: Majority harbor prejudice against blacks
Old 06-03-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah it's kinda that.

At this point.. I guess the only thing he's hoping for is to be able to punt this whole thing further down the road until after the election. The lawsuit(s) aren't going to go away. He could have paid these people off long ago probably but.. ego..
He did pay them off (by that I mean bribe the Attorney Generals) in Texas and Florida.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/2/11838554...d-abbott-bondi
The office of then-Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, a Republican, opened a civil investigation of "possibly deceptive trade practices." Abbott's probe was quietly dropped in 2010 when Trump University agreed to end its operations in Texas. Trump subsequently donated $35,000 to Abbott's successful gubernatorial campaign, according to records.
Old 06-03-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork View Post
why cholos?
Old 06-03-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Savage indictment of Paul Ryan by the WaPo editorial board.

Mr. Ryan’s endorsement of Trump is sad day for the GOP — and America

By Editorial Board June 2 at 6:31 PM

AS DONALD Trump was building a campaign on lies, bigotry, insults, fearmongering and unreason, a few Republican leaders of apparent principle offered some resistance. Foremost among them was House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.). In March, Mr. Ryan insisted that “all of us as leaders can hold ourselves to the highest standards of integrity and decency” and that “we shouldn’t accept ugliness as the norm.”

On Thursday Mr. Ryan capitulated to ugliness. It was a sad day for the speaker, for his party and for all Americans who hoped that some Republican leaders would have the fortitude to put principle over partisanship, job security or the forlorn fantasy that Mr. Trump will advance a traditional GOP agenda.

Explaining his belated endorsement of Mr. Trump in a home-state newspaper, the speaker said that conversations with the presumptive Republican presidential nominee have reassured him. Mr. Trump will help turn House GOP ideas into law, Mr. Ryan said, in a way that a President Hillary Clinton would not.

This is fanciful, as Mr. Ryan must understand. Judging by his wild swings of position over the years, Mr. Trump does not believe in much of anything. The convictions that he does hold — against free trade and U.S. leadership abroad, for dividing the nation by religion and ethnicity — are antithetical to the principles Mr. Ryan has said guide him. Having secured the nomination without Mr. Ryan’s help, a President Trump certainly would not feel bound by any assurances that Mr. Ryan believes he has heard from the candidate.

“That’s the thing about politics,” Mr. Ryan said a while back. “We think of it in terms of this vote or that election. But it can be so much more than that. Politics can be a battle of ideas, not insults. It can be about solutions. It can be about making a difference. It can be about always striving to do better. That’s what it can be and what it should be.”

Now Mr. Ryan has endorsed a man whose “solutions” include banning Muslims from entering the country, who casts aspersions on judges because of their ethnicity, who mocks people with disabilities, who lies repeatedly, who would muzzle the free press. Each one of these is disqualifying — particularly for anyone who believes in conducting the nation’s politics in a constructive, reasonable manner or who claims to have the long-term interests of the nation, rather than a short-term win at the ballot box or in Congress, in mind.

Following Mr. Ryan’s endorsement, some insisted that the speaker had little choice. This is false. “My dad used to say, ‘If you’re not a part of the solution, you’re a part of the problem,’ ” Mr. Ryan said in March. When he has a comparable conversation with his children, how will Mr. Ryan explain the decision he made in this campaign?
Old 06-03-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I would post this in Movies, but the Ghostbusters thread gets locked more than anything in politics

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
You seem to think this corporatist President thing is a new phenomenon. You are old enough to know better. You sound like a 19 year old BernieBot hiding in their safe space.
Yet I am not so old as to simply smile and take another bit of shit sandwich like the rest of the old fuckers who simply accept corruption.

That's the difference. Hillary knows EXACTLY what ramifications calling Putin "Hitler" holds. She has been in world leaders' presence and has negotiated things like cease fires and military partnerships.
Holy shit, this is awesome. Her ineptitude is just a smokescreen. She already knew she would apologize for saying shit that beats out the stupidity (on a foreign policy scale) of anything Trump has said, right? Has Trump compared anyone to Hitler or has he just been compared to Hitler? Yes, please write a paper on how Hillary comparing Putin to Hitler was all part of her master strategy. Defend that until the day you die! Making sure her email server port was wide open to the internet was likely part of her brilliance.

Anyway, I'm guessing nothing new for awhile, so rather than argue the same old shit, I'll see you guys after the weekend. Have a good one.
Old 06-03-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. I didn't know you were so partial to Putin.
Old 06-03-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy shit, this is awesome. Her ineptitude is just a smokescreen.
Old 06-03-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

More idiots on parade yesterday as folks were leaving the Trump rally. Burning U.S. flags, waving Mexican flags, and attacking folks as they left. These are the people we should listen to? Not a chance.

None of this is necessary. Trump is self-destructing on his own. All this is is that same hatred and racism they are supposedly so offended by.
Old 06-03-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More idiots on parade yesterday as folks were leaving the Trump rally. Burning U.S. flags, waving Mexican flags, and attacking folks as they left. These are the people we should listen to? Not a chance.

None of this is necessary. Trump is self-destructing on his own. All this is is that same hatred and racism they are supposedly so offended by.
Burning an American flag is the same as supporting a candidate who advocates ethnic cleansing?
Old 06-03-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Burning an American flag is the same as supporting a candidate who advocates ethnic cleansing?
2 wrongs dont make a right
Old 06-03-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Old 06-03-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

lmaoooooooooo
Old 06-03-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Okay, so threatening to kick racial and religious minorities out of the country is the first wrong ... but what's the second?
Old 06-03-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's beginning to look a lot like Corruption, everywhere I go

Trump made political donations to attorneys general who quietly dropped investigations of Trump U

“I was a businessman, I give to everybody. When they call, I give. And you know what? When I need something from them, two years later, three years later, I call them, and they are there for me”

Yeah Trump's not a politician. Not at all.

Last edited by cungar; 06-03-16 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Okay, so threatening to kick racial and religious minorities out of the country is the first wrong ... but what's the second?
Burning a US flag while holding a Mexican flag? Are you here to be Americans or not?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.