DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

inri222 10-14-14 05:50 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Denver police ordered to pay $4.6m for brutality against homeless preacher

Jury awards damages to family of Marvin Booker, a street preacher who died after being Tasered, handcuffed and put in a sleeper hold

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...y-family-award

dave-o 10-14-14 10:16 PM

Meh, I'm sure they'll make up that and more with some good 'ole civil forfeiture-ing!

nemein 10-15-14 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12269827)
Denver police ordered to pay $4.6m for brutality against homeless preacher

Jury awards damages to family of Marvin Booker, a street preacher who died after being Tasered, handcuffed and put in a sleeper hold

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...y-family-award

W/O getting into commenting about the incident itself I find it funny (in a sad way) that a "homeless" preacher has family so readily available to cash in on this -ohbfrank- Maybe there is more to the back story though...

inri222 10-16-14 11:17 AM

Calls For Federal Prosecutors To Take Over In Police Brutality Case

http://7online.com/news/calls-for-fe...ty-case/90811/

covenant 10-16-14 12:37 PM

It appears that Officer Vincent LoGiudice takes something out of his back pocket, sniffs it and then places it in Howell's car. "What is he doing? I don't know we could all formulate our own opinion," said Amy Marion, Howell's attorney. Howell's attorney Amy Marion says no one knows what LoGiudice put in the car. Or what he took out of his back pocket a short time later and put in an evidence bag.
Nice, caught planting evidence...

Howell did admit to having a small amount of marijuana in the car.
FFS...So much for Attorney Amy Marion's planted evidence rabbit trail. -rolleyes-

Sean O'Hara 10-16-14 12:39 PM

Someone with a small amount of marijuana can't be framed for a more severe crime?

covenant 10-16-14 12:42 PM

What?

inri222 10-16-14 12:49 PM

Quantity of a substance can be the difference between a misdemeanor of possession & a felony of possession with the intent to distribute.

jjcool 10-16-14 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12268505)
I assumed he meant nothing of note would happen, which would make their whole black-profiling thing be unnecessary.

It seems like all the other racists here, assumed the opposite and got offended.

covenant 10-16-14 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12271928)
Quantity of a substance can be the difference between a misdemeanor of possession & a felony of possession with the intent to distribute.

How much was he charged with?

There's six ounces of difference between the two.

Sean O'Hara 10-16-14 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12271936)
It seems like all the other racists here, assumed the opposite and got offended.

Recognizing context makes you racist?

Originally Posted by covenant (Post 12271939)
How much was he charged with?

The article doesn't say, which is why it's bullshit to assume that his admission invalidates the claim that the cops planted evidence.

SkullOrchard 10-16-14 01:02 PM

Black peoples who be shooting at cops and thinking they won't be shot back be so crazy!

covenant 10-16-14 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 12271941)
The article doesn't say, which is why it's bullshit to assume that his admission invalidates the claim that the cops planted evidence.

It's bullshit to assume either way without proof. Damn, this is what I get for taking you off ignore, back you go!

Sean O'Hara 10-16-14 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by covenant (Post 12272000)
It's bullshit to assume either way without proof.

If we ignore the video of the cop placing things in the car, sure.

jjcool 10-16-14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 12271941)
Recognizing context makes you racist?

Nope. Assuming the worst is going to happen, does.

Giantrobo 10-16-14 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12271936)

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12272075)
Nope. Assuming the worst is going to happen, does.

Oh so you know all this how? He still hasn't answered what he meant. At this point we have no idea what he meant by the post. I can't speak for others but I have made no assumptions about what he was trying to imply.

...I'm still waiting for "all the facts" before I make a judgment.

jjcool 10-17-14 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12272251)
Oh so you know all this how? He still hasn't answered what he meant. At this point we have no idea what he meant by the post. I can't speak for others but I have made no assumptions about what he was trying to imply.

...I'm still waiting for "all the facts" before I make a judgment.

Ummm, because I can read. I would agree that we do not know what he meant because he hasn't clarified. But I would hope that its not the conclusion that these people below immediately jumped to:

I don't like to throw around the "racist" word, but wow.

Holy fuck dude. At least your racism is honest, I'll give you that.

Sean O'Hara 10-17-14 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12273050)
Ummm, because I can read. I would agree that we do not know what he meant because he hasn't clarified. But I would hope that its not the conclusion that these people below immediately jumped to:

It's pretty damn clear that DVD Polizei meant that if cops stopped arresting black people, all civil order would break down and silly liberals would suddenly see that racial profiling is completely reasonable. You don't have to be racist to see that reading in what he said, only familiar with his posting history in this and similar threads.

slop101 10-17-14 12:09 PM

I guess I'm just not good at playing the race card.

jjcool 10-17-14 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 12273117)
It's pretty damn clear that DVD Polizei meant that if cops stopped arresting black people, all civil order would break down and silly liberals would suddenly see that racial profiling is completely reasonable. You don't have to be racist to see that reading in what he said, only familiar with his posting history in this and similar threads.

So you're assuming that that is what he meant. I did not read that in what he wrote.

Hokeyboy 10-17-14 05:56 PM

DVD Polizei has recently posted some fairly racist comments in the Ferguson MO thread; if it smells like a duck... :shrug:

Sean O'Hara 10-17-14 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12273410)
So you're assuming that that is what he meant. I did not read that in what he wrote.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "context"? DVD Polizei is not some Cool New Member whose views are unknown. Everyone who follows the various police brutality threads here and in Politics knows what he thinks on these subjects, and we're able to extrapolate his meaning from there.

slop101 10-18-14 12:48 AM

I personally can't keep you characters straight; I haven't the inclination to track who's who and especially how y'all think based on an aggregate of your posts. I have an actual job, I'll have you know!

jjcool 10-19-14 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 12273693)
Do you understand the meaning of the word "context"? DVD Polizei is not some Cool New Member whose views are unknown. Everyone who follows the various police brutality threads here and in Politics knows what he thinks on these subjects, and we're able to extrapolate his meaning from there.

Yes I do know the meaning of the word "context" thank you very much. Please show me where, in the context of that post, he came off as racist. As slop101 mentions below, I also have neither the time nor the inclination to read every single thread on here. I personally don't care to follow the various anti police threads here, and took his post at face value, and the apparently racist responses at face value as well.

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12273844)
I personally can't keep you characters straight; I haven't the inclination to track who's who and especially how y'all think based on an aggregate of your posts. I have an actual job, I'll have you know!

Sean O'Hara 10-19-14 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12275150)
Yes I do know the meaning of the word "context" thank you very much. Please show me where, in the context of that post, he came off as racist.

Here's his first post in the Furguson thread, though I'm afraid it might be too subtle for you to gather his meaning.