DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Noonan 08-28-20 07:51 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13796512)
Same here. A couple of friends from the punk scene who at one time were homeless, hated the police and participated in protests are now defending cops, supporting Trump and telling protesters to go home and get a job. Fucking crazy

Not crazy. Hated police when they were being harassed by them; love the police when they're paralyzing/killing people of color. Sounds about right.

fujishig 08-28-20 08:41 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13796497)
Id agree with that for most of them. Two work friends however, that would really surprise me. I never got a racist/sexist/Im a piece of shit vibe from them.
It would be more sad if it wasnt so surprising.

I still want to believe it's heavily influenced by the media they consume and there's just never been another point of view introduced at all, nor have they cared to learn one without totally dismissing it. Like I want to say there are still people who believe "All Lives Matter" is something because Black people believe that Black lives matter more and should get more attention, and they really believe that systemic racism hasn't had an effect for generations, have never experienced the kind of prejudice or racism most minorities have felt, etc. I have to believe (for my own sanity) that the minorities who spout all lives matter have just grown up privileged or were lucky enough to do "bootstraps" (and c'mon, you can't say it's just hard work, luck is involved) and are not intentionally sabotaging the cause.

Because the alternative is that they know what they're spouting, they know exactly what it means, they want to dress it up so that they can defend themselves but otherwise completely and utterly believe, for instance, that Blake was reaching for a knife and deserved to get shot.

Psi 08-28-20 09:18 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Below is Trump's speech at the RNC. So what has happened to the Kenosha cop who shot seven shots in the back of Jacob Blake? In five days the only thing we have seen happen is that he got named. As if that will damage him for life. I guess they are still investigating and finding more knives and too busy controlling the mob Trump talked about.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ha/5642326002/


"When there is police misconduct, the justice system must hold wrongdoers fully and completely accountable, and it will," Trump said. "But what we can never have in America and must never allow is mob rule."

fujishig 08-28-20 09:29 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Psi (Post 13796546)
Below is Trump's speech at the RNC. So what has happened to the Kenosha cop who shot seven shots in the back of Jacob Blake? In five days the only thing we have seen happen is that he got named. As if that will damage him for life. I guess they are still investigating and finding more knives and too busy controlling the mob Trump talked about.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ha/5642326002/

The only thing they said was that he's on administrative leave. Oh, and Blake is paralyzed in the hospital but handcuffed to the bed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/us/ja...day/index.html

Blake's uncle told CNN on Thursday that Blake's father visited the Wauwatosa, Wisconsin hospital where his son is recovering from at least one surgery. He was "heartbroken" to see that his son was handcuffed.
"This is an insult to injury," Justin Blake, the uncle of the victim, said. "He is paralyzed and can't walk and they have him cuffed to the bed. Why?"

Authorities said Sheskey and another officer have been placed on administrative leave. The other officers involved in the shooting will be identified soon, according to the state's attorney general.
I was hoping that the NBA would hold out until they at least charged the officer.

Psi 08-28-20 10:46 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13796556)
The only thing they said was that he's on administrative leave.

Putting them on paid administrative leave is standard procedure but that's not much of an action. Lately a lot of attention has shifted to the protest and "riots" and the Rittenhouse kid. But what about the cop? This is fucked up.

fujishig 08-28-20 10:53 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Psi (Post 13796607)
Putting them on paid administrative leave is standard procedure but that's not much of an action. Lately a lot of attention has shifted to the protest and "riots" and the Rittenhouse kid. But what about the cop? This is fucked up.

That's why I thought the NBA strike would have an impact. At least early on the Bucks were saying what they wanted was the legislature in Milwaukee to reconvene

Players on the Milwaukee Bucks called Wednesday for the Wisconsin legislature to reconvene to address police brutality and criminal justice reform after boycotting their NBA playoff game to protest the police shooting of Jacob Blake.

"We are calling for justice for Jacob Blake and demand the officers be held accountable," Bucks guard George Hill said in a statement to reporters as several of his teammates stood behind him. "For this to occur, it is imperative for the Wisconsin legislature to reconvene after months of inaction and take meaningful measures to address police accountability, brutality and criminal justice reform."

"We encourage all citizens to educate themselves, take peaceful and responsible action and remember to vote on November 3," Hill added.
Maybe that's part of what they talked about and we'll find out soon.

Draven 08-28-20 10:53 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Again, and I cannot stress this enough, this paralyzed person is handcuffed to a bed. There is no one from the police force who is able to say "let's not do this". That's a huge problem.

GoVegan 08-28-20 10:59 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Officer Full-Auto is still afraid he's going to get to that knife.

Noonan 08-28-20 11:02 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13796613)
Again, and I cannot stress this enough, this paralyzed person is handcuffed to a bed. There is no one from the police force who is able to say "let's not do this". That's a huge problem.

Not to mention, AFAIK he hasn't even been charged with anything. So they have an innocent citizen handcuffed to a hospital bed.

Neil M. 08-28-20 11:21 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
I know he's not going anywhere but he does have a warrant for his arrest. Probably standard operating procedure.

Draven 08-28-20 11:28 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 13796640)
I know he's not going anywhere but he does have a warrant for his arrest. Probably standard operating procedure.

There has to be some common sense involved here. I know that's a lot to ask of a police force, but this guy is not running away and the optics look TERRIBLE.

Neil M. 08-28-20 11:34 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
He's going to be charged at some point. I'm guessing they're waiting for things to cool down a bit.

Draven 08-28-20 11:37 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 13796651)
He's going to be charged at some point. I'm guessing they're waiting for things to cool down a bit.

And that's the problem right there. Police are a hammer so every problem looks like a nail.

Don't handcuff the guy you shot for no reason to a bed when he can't walk because of how many times you shot him. Are they fucking robots? Goddamn.

Neil M. 08-28-20 11:45 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
He wasn't shot for no reason. This guy also wasn't breaking up a fight.

Draven 08-28-20 12:06 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 13796658)
He wasn't shot for no reason. This guy also wasn't breaking up a fight.

Yes, he was. Opening a car door is not deserving of a death sentence. The Kenosha killer walked away from the sound of gunfire past police officers. Who did nothing.

Neil M. 08-28-20 12:17 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
You're ignoring the facts. That's your right to do but it doesn't mean you are correct.

fujishig 08-28-20 12:18 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
What was the (I'm assuming you're saying valid) reason he was shot?

inri222 08-28-20 12:39 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Law enforcement is not cosplay

Kyle Rittenhouse, Kenosha, and the Sheepdog Mentality

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...tality/615805/

Neil M. 08-28-20 12:53 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13796684)
What was the (I'm assuming you're saying valid) reason he was shot?

He was shot in under 3 minutes. They were there to arrest him. He had a knife. Im not sure if he had it in his hand or he told them. They deployed a taser that obviously didn't work. He walked around to the driver side of the vehicle, ignoring the commands of officers. He opens the door for some reason and the cop shoots him in the back. Cop does not know what he's going to grab out of the car and he's not going to wait to find out. That's why it's probably going to be valid. His actions led to the shooting.

fujishig 08-28-20 01:01 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 13796708)
He was shot in under 3 minutes. They were there to arrest him. He had a knife. Im not sure if he had it in his hand or he told them. They deployed a taser that obviously didn't work. He walked around to the driver side of the vehicle, ignoring the commands of officers. He opens the door for some reason and the cop shoots him in the back. Cop does not know what he's going to grab out of the car and he's not going to wait to find out. That's why it's probably going to be valid. His actions led to the shooting.

You're talking about looking at the facts and you say he had a knife in his hand or he told them he had a knife?

My understanding is that the knife was on the floorboard of the car, and he told them about it after he was shot. Is there some new evidence?

The other question is, if you think this shooting is valid, was the only option to shoot him half a dozen times in the back? He's not even running or anything (unless the video I saw was in slow motion) to the car or rushing to get anything out. That's why I can't see viewing that video and then going "yeah, that was a valid response."

grip 08-28-20 01:10 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 13796708)
He was shot in under 3 minutes. They were there to arrest him. He had a knife. Im not sure if he had it in his hand or he told them. They deployed a taser that obviously didn't work. He walked around to the driver side of the vehicle, ignoring the commands of officers. He opens the door for some reason and the cop shoots him in the back. Cop does not know what he's going to grab out of the car and he's not going to wait to find out. That's why it's probably going to be valid. His actions led to the shooting.


I think you are missing the very first part of the incident:


At 5:11 p.m. Kenosha police said officers responded to a call of a "domestic incident in the 2800 block of 40th Street. There, they would encounter 29-year-old Jacob Blake who is seen on video posted to social media in an altercation with officers before they Tase and ultimately shoot him seven times in the back as he leans into a vehicle. The Kenosha department does not have body cameras so officers were not wearing them at the time of the shooting.
from NBC Chicago

So, the police officers were there because of a domestic incident. It is unknown if they were there to ARREST HIM particularly as you say. Indeed there are other reports that he was trying to break up the domestic incident.

I am beginning to believe you, we should understand the truth before we speak. The facts of this case are not yet completely public, time will definitely tell.

But given that you nor I know the facts here, how can you say it was justified or not? I welcome your comments, but hold yourself to the same standards please.

Neil M. 08-28-20 01:11 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
They obviously need to figure out the knife thing but in reality, it won't matter. Cops are not going to wait to find out what you are grabbing.

fujishig 08-28-20 01:15 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
I was going to bring up the "they weren't there to arrest him" part but I thought maybe new evidence came out that they were? Because Neil M. said he wasn't there breaking up a fight so he knew about that report.

To respond to the "Cops are not going to wait to find out what you are grabbing" doesn't that basically mean they are justified in shooting you for any reason? "I thought he was going for something." I don't even see a reason for the officer to feel threatened, the guy is like slowly walking away from him while he was in grabbing distance. If he was like running to get to his car or something I might feel differently.

Again, what I'm asking is this: do you really think that shooting someone in the back six or seven times was the best way to resolve this incident? Or even in the top 10?

grip 08-28-20 01:16 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 13796723)
......Cops are not going to wait to find out what you are grabbing.


I dont necessarily agree with you but ok, you say police officers shouldn't wait to see what is potentially being grabbed at. So, why then did they completely pass up a young man, carrying a live weapon walking away from a crime scene TOWARDS their vehicle with his hands on his weapon at least four times? What was the difference there?


Why So Blu? 08-28-20 01:20 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by grip (Post 13796734)
I dont necessarily agree with you but ok, you say police officers shouldn't wait to see what is potentially being grabbed at. So, why then did they completely pass up a young man, carrying a live weapon walking away from a crime scene TOWARDS their vehicle with his hands on his weapon at least four times? What was the difference there?

He's white. White and awesome! :sarcasm:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.