DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Mabuse 11-13-19 01:11 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

It’s so strange. They keep engaging with her. Just put her in a room and lock the door. Why do they keep talking to her and explaining things to her? She’s an addled, argumentative person. The silent treatment would have subdued her more than anything.

Goat3001 11-13-19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13638204)
This is a very poor example. He is actually enforcing (a very stupid law) which the cop did not make. I have seen many people ticketed for eating and drinking on the Metro, where it is also against the law. Now I have also seen Metro police tell people to throw things away rather than cite them. This guy was arrested (if he was arrested as the Twitter post actually just says "tries to arrest") for failing to cooperate, the stop was legitimate.

I have made clear on this board I am no friend of the police and honest have very strong feelings against them but this is just someone acting out for the purpose of putting it up on Facebook.

Many years ago a friend of mine was ticketed for jaywalking in New York City. I don't know if you've ever been to NYC but everyone jaywalks, constantly. It's weird if you DON'T jaywalk. I probably jaywalk 10 times a day.

Sure, it's illegal and my friend (who is black) will admit that he was indeed jaywalking but the cop didn't stop him for jaywalking. He stopped him because he felt my friend was suspicious for another reason. While the laws themselves are stupid, the real problem is cops finding any reason to stop a person of color (usually, a POC, at least) just to get a feel for if they're a threat. Cops will always look "right" in these situations because at the end of the day, all they did was enforce a law.

I don't know the solution to this. Changing laws likely won't work and will have some unintended consequences. But leaving it up to the judgement of law enforcement is obviously not working though.

Coral 11-13-19 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13639372)
Itís so strange. They keep engaging with her. Just put her in a room and lock the door. Why do they keep talking to her and explaining things to her? Sheís an addled, argumentative person. The silent treatment would have subdued her more than anything.

Because they're power-hungry pigs. By walking away and letting her sit by herself in the room, they won't have the chance to exert any authority/power - and there's no fun in that.
They all get off on it...that's why there were at least 5 of them hanging around when she was already locked up - just chomping at the bit to reap the rewards of an escalated situation.

Mabuse 11-14-19 10:59 AM

But is all of it even worth the effort? What fucking idiots.

Nick Danger 11-14-19 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 13639465)
Many years ago a friend of mine was ticketed for jaywalking in New York City. I don't know if you've ever been to NYC but everyone jaywalks, constantly. It's weird if you DON'T jaywalk. I probably jaywalk 10 times a day.

Sure, it's illegal and my friend (who is black) will admit that he was indeed jaywalking but the cop didn't stop him for jaywalking. He stopped him because he felt my friend was suspicious for another reason. While the laws themselves are stupid, the real problem is cops finding any reason to stop a person of color (usually, a POC, at least) just to get a feel for if they're a threat. Cops will always look "right" in these situations because at the end of the day, all they did was enforce a law.

I don't know the solution to this. Changing laws likely won't work and will have some unintended consequences. But leaving it up to the judgement of law enforcement is obviously not working though.

Someone told me that when she was in the police academy, one of the exercises was standing next to the street and coming up with a valid reason to pull over every car that passed them. She says that it wasn't that hard.

There are very many laws, and police officers have discretion whether to enforce them.

TheDude 11-16-19 12:57 PM

Here's another case where these assholes go on power trips & victimize those who are defenseless & didn't deserve it in the least:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen...235818758.html

Very sad case here. This kid already has extremely serious disabilities that will require him to depend on others for the rest of his life; he probably will never be able to work or be independent. Added to this, he's abandoned by his parents & has to live in a shitty state-run facility. And, on top of all this - he's been victimized by this fucking low-life Nazi. What the fuck kind of threat does a kid without arms or legs pose? He can't attack anyone; he can't hold a weapon; he can do next to nothing to threaten anybody. There was no reason this kid had to be restrained in this way. Heinous.

Josh-da-man 11-16-19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheDude (Post 13641131)
Here's another case where these assholes go on power trips & victimize those who are defenseless & didn't deserve it in the least:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen...235818758.html

And that's why people with those fucking blue-line flags can shove them up their asses.

Sonic 12-04-19 06:18 PM

Ho lee fuck this video! :eek: I'm just baffled.

Newly released body camera footage shows a Greenville County Sheriff's Office deputy shot a shoplifting suspect's mother during a heated confrontation inside a Greer home.

The mother remains hospitalized a month and a half after the Oct. 20 incident, according to the suspect's attorney.

The deputy did not violate department policy, according to the Sheriff's Office.

The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating the case.
If mods find this video too graphic please remove and my apologies.

Clearly the female cop is way too emotional and lost control. You can tell this guy is mentally ill so the mother was right, he was simmering down so why not wait for guy officers to show up and take it from there?

Goat3001 12-05-19 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 13650216)

Clearly the female cop is way too emotional and lost control. You can tell this guy is mentally ill so the mother was right, he was simmering down so why not wait for guy officers to show up and take it from there?

This seems like it would have been a good opportunity to use the taser. The gun needs to be used to de-escalate the situation. The man was clearly mentally ill and the drawing of the gun did not diffuse the situation as he kept going toward the cop. The cop showed restraint in not pulling the trigger right away but in doing so, she put herself and the rest of the family at harm because now you have a gun flying around during a physical altercation. The taser would have put him down and would have allowed her to cuff him.

Really though - no cop should enter any situation by themselves. Not sure why she was there alone to begin with.

Also that second cop that entered the room and kicked the guy in the head should be fired right away.

Paff 12-05-19 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13639666)
Because they're power-hungry pigs. By walking away and letting her sit by herself in the room, they won't have the chance to exert any authority/power - and there's no fun in that.
They all get off on it...that's why there were at least 5 of them hanging around when she was already locked up - just chomping at the bit to reap the rewards of an escalated situation.

This discussion was a few weeks ago, but I don't always come to this thread so it's the first time I saw it. But "power-hungry" is absolutely right. A few years ago I was biking to work and blew through a stop sign once I saw there were no cars coming. But there was a cop behind me, and at the next light he pulled up next to me and called me out on it. I apologized, agreed it was wrong, said I wouldn't do it again. But he kept pushing, kept pushing, saying how he can give me a ticket for it, and he's done it in the past, yada yada yada. It was clear he wanted me to either 1. snap back and give him a reason to do something, or 2. beg and plead not for a ticket. I refused to do either. But it was obvious he was trying to escalate the situation instead of just letting it go.

Mabuse 12-05-19 10:12 AM

You should stop at stop signs. It’s not about whether there’s anyone else at the intersection, they’re meant to slow you down and manage traffic.

Paff 12-05-19 10:24 AM

You must have missed the sentence where I said I apologized, agreed it was wrong, and said I wouldn't do it again.

If he wanted to ticket me for it (which I agree, he had every right to do so), he just have just lit me up immediately and done it. But he didn't do that. He talked to me and told me what I did was wrong. Then I apologized. If he wasn't going to ticket me, that should have been the end of it. Instead he needled me (after my apology and admitting of wrongdoing) over and over again, trying to start something, or at the very least, beg and plead. And I didn't play his game. But not everyone has my patience, and that's why shit gets worse instead of better, due to power-hungry cops.

Mabuse 12-05-19 10:25 AM

I read all that. And I hear you, some of them are complete dicks. I’m just saying don’t run stop signs.

Cusm 12-05-19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 13650423)
Also that second cop that entered the room and kicked the guy in the head should be fired right away.

I don't think he was a cop, just an asshat trying to help. He did not move like a cop at any point in taking down or subduing the individual.

Draven 12-05-19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 13650542)
I don't think he was a cop, just an asshat trying to help. He did not move like a cop at any point in taking down or subduing the individual.

Well he had a gun...I certainly hope he was a cop.

maxfisher 12-05-19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13650555)

If you slow it down, you can see he has the flag patch common to police uniforms on his sleeve, so he likely was a cop.

As for the female cop, I can almost empathize with her position. The big dude was clearly not well and I get her being afraid. She handled the situation about as well as a member of the general public likely would if they were thrust into it with no experience or education beyond a general cultural awareness of police officers. Which is an awfully big damn problem, seeing as how if she is a police officer, and she should be trained for this type of situation.

I would love to see a major city get real about improving their police force. Require a college degree. Make candidates undergo background checks and psychological evaluations. Give them immersive training on par with what fbi agents get. Then start them out at $80k a year with solid benefits and ongoing training and counseling. I think it would have to make a significant difference.

Noonan 12-05-19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13650555)

Just your neighborly "good guy with a gun" doing their civil duty.

Michael Corvin 12-05-19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13650457)
You should stop at stop signs. Itís not about whether thereís anyone else at the intersection, theyíre meant to slow you down and manage traffic.

Seems like you missed the point of Paff's story. Here it is simplified:

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13650442)
But it was obvious he was trying to escalate the situation instead of just letting it go.

Mabuse 12-05-19 02:38 PM

You should read the whole thread before posting. :lol:

Michael Corvin 12-05-19 09:10 PM

Nah. I got it. Paff shared an on topic story twice and you added nothing. :shrug:

brayzie 12-05-19 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13650463)
You must have missed the sentence where I said I apologized, agreed it was wrong, and said I wouldn't do it again.

If he wanted to ticket me for it (which I agree, he had every right to do so), he just have just lit me up immediately and done it. But he didn't do that. He talked to me and told me what I did was wrong. Then I apologized. If he wasn't going to ticket me, that should have been the end of it. Instead he needled me (after my apology and admitting of wrongdoing) over and over again, trying to start something, or at the very least, beg and plead. And I didn't play his game. But not everyone has my patience, and that's why shit gets worse instead of better, due to power-hungry cops.

Playing devil's advocate, maybe he was trying to hammer home what he believed was the severity of ignoring stop signs. From his perspective, maybe he pulled over someone who he thinks probably regularly ignores traffic laws when it's convenient, and when caught, doesn't see it as a big deal, "yeah, yeah, i won't do it again, just let me on my way." Usually if someone says, "I won't do it again" it comes across like they don't think it's a big deal, or they're expecting that simply saying that is enough to get out of it. And then later on that same person does it again and an accident occurs.

That said, I can easily see the cop being a dick from the way you describe it.

Mabuse 12-06-19 10:58 AM

Precisely. It’s possible he wanted you to understand the severity of your action.

inri222 12-08-19 02:41 PM

Remember that they are our friends and racism does not exist.

‘I Got Tired of Hunting Black and Hispanic People’
Multiple police officers in Brooklyn say they were told by a commander that white and Asian people should be left alone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/n...profiling.html

JasonX 12-10-19 11:59 AM

I don't think there is a "Cops Behaving Decently" thread, so I will leave this here. It would be nice if more police organization spoke out in favor of some reasonable reforms. That might actually get some traction with Republicans.

joeblow69 12-10-19 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by JasonX (Post 13653119)
I don't think there is a "Cops Behaving Decently" thread, so I will leave this here. It would be nice if more police organization spoke out in favor of some reasonable reforms. That might actually get some traction with Republicans.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...ly-thread.html