Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 01-27-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
A guy lays motionless on the ground after being tazed, when unfortunately for him 3 officers all relatively spontaneously develop restless leg syndrome. (bridgeport CT)
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/s...OYPlQNDHBQw66N
If someone films something like this, why wait almost 2 years before posting it online or doing anything about it? The guy must have done something bad to have that many cops going after him, but still no excuse for them to act unprofessional.
Old 01-27-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe the tazer started a fire on the guy, and the cops were just trying to put the fire out. You have to admit, Chubby Cop does a pretty good kick.
Old 01-28-13, 12:51 PM
Suspended

For months, three Schaumburg police officers stole marijuana and cocaine they seized during arrests, then shared the profits after an informant resold the drugs on the street, DuPage County prosecutors said.

The tactical officers were secretly recorded talking about the thefts and even captured on video breaking into a Roselle storage locker to steal $20,000 they thought belonged to a drug dealer, authorities said.

The cash later was found in the homes of all three cops — one of whom allegedly told investigators that he took part in the scheme “for the thrill of it,” prosecutors said Thursday as the men appeared in bond court.

The plot unraveled earlier this month when the informant was busted for having cocaine in his Carol Stream home — then detailed the alleged thefts to police.

John Cichy, 30; Matthew Hudak, 29, and Terrence O’Brien, 46, were charged a host of felonies, including unlawful delivery of a controlled substance; armed violence; unlawful criminal drug conspiracy; official misconduct, and theft and burglary, officials said.

“It’s certainly disheartening that three police officers have been accused of being involved in this kind of activity,” DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said outside the courtroom.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...000-bonds.html
Old 01-28-13, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Attached a photo of the cops:

Old 01-28-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since this was bumped again, turns out the guy who 'was reaching for a weapon after running from the police' and was killed last November - the lie the cops told - was actually a guy who had his brother who had starting running from the police in the car he was driving pull over and let him him out to AVOID getting in trouble with the cops, was unarmed, and had already turned around with his hands in the air when the 'street soldiers' opened up on his back and killed him.

Now who would have thought that cops would lie about such a thing? And then lie about other aspects of the case, like claiming they didn't even interview the eyewitness they tried to intimidate into changing her story?

Man killed in shooting by deputies was shot in the back, report says
January 27, 2013 | 1:14 pm
[updated]

LA Times

A Culver City man who was fatally shot by Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies after a police pursuit in November was struck by bullets five times in the back and twice more in the right hip and right forearm, also from behind, according to an autopsy report obtained by The Times.

Jose de la Trinidad, a 36-year-old father of two, was shot Nov. 10 by deputies who believed he was reaching for a weapon following a police pursuit. But family members and a witness to the shooting said that De la Trinidad, who was unarmed, was complying with deputies and had his hands above his head when he was shot.

The shooting is being investigated by multiple law enforcement agencies.

De la Trinidad was shot five times in the upper and lower back, according to the Los Angeles County coroner's report dated Nov. 13. The report describes four of those wounds as fatal. He was also shot in the right forearm and right hip, with both shots entering from behind, the report found.

“Here's a man who complied, did what he was supposed to, and was gunned down by trigger-happy deputies,” said Arnoldo Casillas, the family’s attorney, who provided a copy of the autopsy report to The Times. He said he plans to file a lawsuit against the sheriff’s department.

[Updated, 1:40 p.m.: A sheriff's official declined to discuss specifics of the autopsy report because of the ongoing investigation. But he stressed that the findings in the report would be included in the department's determination of what happened that night.

"The sheriff and our department extend it's condolences to the De la Trinidad" family, said Capt. Steve Whitmore, a sheriff's spokesman.

"Deadly force is always a last resort," he said. "The deputies involved were convinced that the public was in danger when they drew their weapons."

The two deputies were placed on administrative leave immediately after the shooting but returned to active duty five days later, Whitmore said. This is standard practice for deputies involved in shootings, he said.

While such investigations typically take months, Whitmore said the department has given special urgency to this case and hopes to complete its probe in a timely manner.

"We want to have answers about what happened that night soon rather than later," he said. "Even then, we know it doesn't change the grief the family is experiencing."]

On Saturday, relatives of De la Trinidad and about 100 other people marched through the streets of Compton, shouting “No justice, no peace. No killer police.” Rosie de la Trinidad, Jose’s widow, joined the march with the couple’s two young daughters.

“He was doing everything he was supposed to,” she said of her husband, fighting back tears. “All we're asking for is justice.”

Saturday's march began on East 122nd Street and ended on the sidewalk outside the sheriff's station in Compton. Marchers carried signs reading “Jose posed no threat, why is he dead?” and “Dedicated father stolen from his family.”

The march was monitored by sheriff's deputies, who followed closely in patrol cars.

“Don't shoot me in the back,” one woman yelled at deputies. “I'm unarmed.”

De la Trinidad was shot just minutes after leaving his niece’s quinceañera with his brother, Francisco, 39. He was riding in the passenger seat of his brother's car when deputies attempted to pull them over for speeding about 10:20 p.m., authorities said. After a brief car chase, De la Trinidad exited the car in the 1900 block of East 122nd Street in Compton and was shot by deputies.

The sheriff’s department maintains that the deputies opened fire only after De la Trinidad appeared to reach for his waist, where he could have been concealing a weapon.

But a woman who witnessed the officer-involved shooting told investigators that De la Trinidad had complied with deputies’ orders to stop running and put his hands on his head to surrender when two deputies shot and killed him. The witness said she watched the shooting from her bedroom window across the street.

“I know what I saw,” said the witness, Estefani, who asked that her last name not be used, saying she did not want to be harassed by the news media. “His hands were on his head when they started shooting.”

According to the deputies' account, De la Trinidad jumped out of the passenger seat.

His brother, Francisco, took off again in the car. One of the four deputies on the scene gave chase in his cruiser, leaving Jose de la Trinidad on the sidewalk and three deputies standing in the street with their weapons drawn.

The deputies said Jose de la Trinidad then appeared to reach for his waistband, prompting two of them to fire multiple shots into the unarmed man. He died at the scene.

Unknown to the deputies at the time, Estefani sat at her bedroom window, looking out at the shooting.

Estefani said De la Trinidad did jump out of the car after it came to a sudden stop. After he ran toward the deputies a few feet, they ordered him to stop and turn around -- and he did so immediately, she said.

Seconds later, the deputies opened fire, she said.

Estefani said she did not count the number of shots fired by the deputies.

“As soon as I saw him hit the floor, I couldn't look up any longer,” Estefani said at the time. “Then I ran downstairs and started to cry.”

She said she was still crying half an hour later when two sheriff’s deputies canvassing the area for witnesses came to her door.

The deputies, she said, repeatedly asked her which direction De la Trinidad was facing, which she perceived as an attempt to get her to change her story.

“I told them, 'You're just trying to confuse me,' and then they stopped,” she said at the time.

Sheriff’s Department officials initially denied speaking to Estefani or any other potential witnesses that night.

But officials now acknowledge that deputies interviewed her on the night of the shooting, attributing previous denials to a lack of communication between deputies and lieutenants involved in the investigation.

“They conducted a canvass the night of the shooting and two uniformed deputies did speak with her,” sheriff's Lt. Dave Coleman said at the time. Investigators later interviewed Estefani a second time.

As with all deputy-involved shootings, De la Trinidad’s killing will be subject to investigation by the district attorney, the sheriff’s homicide and internal affairs bureaus and the Sheriff’s Executive Force Review Committee.
Old 02-03-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Supposedly this guy is claiming the police are after him for posting some Police Abuse videos and refusing to take them down. I wish I had more info on it. Not sure what to think on this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/46uwCAMdjAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-03-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd be more worried about a health hazard from Mr. Whiny-Ass Walking Dead Dude.
Old 02-11-13, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Motorcyclist, apparently being chased, pulls over and puts up his hands. Receives gang beating, tasering and death threat.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=5ba1ce3c7fa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-12-13, 12:07 AM

Actually, if you watch the video, you can see he at first won't lay on his stomach, then keeps his hands under him when ordered give them to the cops. He must have really pissed them off during the chase, but if you're going to give up, you had better comply. Although he got a beat-down, I don't think it was out od line. When you hide your hands, you're lucky if you don't get shot.
Old 02-12-13, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Actually, if you watch the video, you can see he at first won't lay on his stomach, then keeps his hands under him when ordered give them to the cops. He must have really pissed them off during the chase, but if you're going to give up, you had better comply. Although he got a beat-down, I don't think it was out od line. When you hide your hands, you're lucky if you don't get shot.
I dunno, I think it's a pretty normal reaction to want control of your hands and arms when you sense you are going to get your head kicked in, whether it's by cops or otherwise. Yes, I understand that a cop has to make split second decisions and a cop can potentially die if total control is not quickly exercised over a perp but I think in this particular case they went over the line as the perp's empty hands could clearly be seen before the first cop tackled him. Blame it on the adrenaline, I guess.
Old 02-12-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0K5X9PmU9Yg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-12-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y8FeKLyNmBA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-06-13, 11:35 AM
Suspended

This video has sparked an internal investigation after this motorcyclist filmed himself get rear ended by a cop and then get threatened to receive tickets for causing the accident.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T5Rb_3GlMTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-06-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cop was a dick but Motorcycle had no reason to stop that fast and was probably filming it because he's a looking for a reason to sue someone.
Old 03-06-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it was a lawsuit thing. He did not act belligerently towards the cop whatsoever, and to be honest, the cop wasn't too bad of a dick either. I expected much worse from the description.

However, I have never ridden a motorcycle, and so I couldn't tell you anything from that perspective.
Old 03-06-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Cop was a dick but Motorcycle had no reason to stop that fast and was probably filming it because he's a looking for a reason to sue someone.
Modern sportbikes are ridiculous performance machines, including the brakes. They stop on a dime without any effort. Even old crappy bikes can stop very quickly. That's why you give them plenty of room. Doesn't matter that he stopped quickly, maybe he could have seen something in the road that the cop didn't/couldn't (not in this case, but in a hypothetical).
Old 03-06-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Modern sportbikes are ridiculous performance machines, including the brakes. They stop on a dime without any effort. Even old crappy bikes can stop very quickly. That's why you give them plenty of room. Doesn't matter that he stopped quickly, maybe he could have seen something in the road that the cop didn't/couldn't (not in this case, but in a hypothetical).
Right. Anyone can just stop in the middle of traffic. Just don't be surprised when you get hit (or in this case barely tapped) from behind when you do. Personally I think the guy was looking for something to film to make him look like a victim. I've watched it several times and can see no reason he needed to stop that short. Maybe others see something.
Old 03-06-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It could be a pothole or whatever. But guess what, it's the cop's, or any driver's job to stay a safe breaking distance away in case the person in front of you needs to stop suddenly.

I remember the driving manual saying for every 10mph you should be one car length behind the person in front of you.
Old 03-06-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The car ahead a signals a right lane change.

At this point it looks like the biker did not notice the car signaling the right lane change, starts to accelerate and then applies the brakes to avoid hitting the car.

It's possible the police car started to accelerate as well and did not have time to avoid tapping the bike from behind. It's also possible the cop was not looking in that direction at that time to see that the bike had stopped.
Old 03-06-13, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I don't think it was a lawsuit thing. He did not act belligerently towards the cop whatsoever, and to be honest, the cop wasn't too bad of a dick either. I expected much worse from the description.

However, I have never ridden a motorcycle, and so I couldn't tell you anything from that perspective.
It doesn't appear he was that far away from the car in the video. it would seem he was trying to keep a safe distance back from the vehicle in front of him; something the cop should have been doing as well.

From the tone, comments, and threats of the officer, it would appear he was trying to intimidate the motorcyclist into not filing any types of complaints or insurance claims. Writing the cyclist a "shitload" of tickets after the officer failed to keep a safe distance from the cyclist would probably get laughed at in court and the video would have ended up on the local news if the officer actually wrote tickets.
Old 03-06-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know why the biker was riding so close to the edge of the road, but it's obvious that the car in front of him is intending to move into his lane. Like wishbone said, it looks like the biker is starting to accelerate, and then slows down quickly to let the car over, coming to a stop at the same time. The cop was likely changing lanes at that time, expecting the bike to continue speeding up, and didn't have time to stop before hitting the bike. Maintaining enough space to not hit the person in front of you is taught in every driving class.
Old 03-06-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Right. Anyone can just stop in the middle of traffic. Just don't be surprised when you get hit (or in this case barely tapped) from behind when you do. Personally I think the guy was looking for something to film to make him look like a victim. I've watched it several times and can see no reason he needed to stop that short. Maybe others see something.

I think it's becoming more and more common for Motorcycle Riders to have helmet cams running while they ride.
Old 03-06-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seems like a rather practical way for an officer AND motorist to acknowledge the situation. Motorcycle, unfortunately, was acting like so many I see on the road. He seemed to weave in and out of traffic--which is not smart. You can easily get side-swiped by a vehicle.

Oh yeah.

Why is this in the Cops Behaving Badly Thread. Is it bad for a cop to shake hands and part ways without tazing or shooting somebody?
Old 03-06-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In what way was that cop behaving badly? By not writing him a ticket? Yeah I agree.
Old 03-06-13, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Seems like a rather practical way for an officer AND motorist to acknowledge the situation. Motorcycle, unfortunately, was acting like so many I see on the road. He seemed to weave in and out of traffic--which is not smart. You can easily get side-swiped by a vehicle.

Oh yeah.

Why is this in the Cops Behaving Badly Thread. Is it bad for a cop to shake hands and part ways without tazing or shooting somebody?
Because the cop failed to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of him and caused an accident and then threatened to write fabricated tickets to deflect the true cause of the accident and intimidate the cyclist from filing any claims.

As a cop, don't they teach officers nowadays that you should always keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you? That would seem to traffic laws 101.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.