Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Old 02-05-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Attack on Iran nuclear facilities "imminent"?

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Why should that stop you though. Your anti-Israeli shtick is very old and tired. You know I like you and don't ever normally say anything, but your bias prevents any sense of objectivity.
"Bias" is not the same as "a viewpoint that is diametrically opposed to your own".
Old 02-06-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
No, no they didn't.

The J Post's Linde initially stated that Prime Minister Netanyahu himself made the statement, but later recanted. I suppose you can believe what you like he really did or not, but regardless it would have been nothing more than hyperbole and not something to warrant any discussion.

Why should that stop you though. Your anti-Israeli shtick is very old and tired. You know I like you and don't ever normally say anything, but your bias prevents any sense of objectivity.
Are you saying the pro-Israeli arguments here are objective? I for one like to hear an opposing view.
Old 02-06-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, most of the pro-Israel arguments here are predicated upon the belief that Israel should exist. I guess it's good to hear a different perspective now and then.
Old 02-06-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the pro-Israel arguments here are predicated on the belief that they should nuke the hell out of Iran. They DO exist.
Old 02-06-12, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Well, most of the pro-Israel arguments here are predicated upon the belief that Israel should exist. I guess it's good to hear a different perspective now and then.

Nice.
Old 02-06-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice that any alternative view of the US's pro-Israel foreign policy infers that those that hold those views believe Israel shouldn't exist? That's the usual course of these conversations and extremely sad.
Old 02-06-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dork View Post
They're also tainted by people's ignorance of the topic, who've only maybe a passing knowledge.

Tell me, do the words "settler colonialism" mean anything to you?
Old 02-06-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Tell me, do the words "settler colonialism" mean anything to you?
Old 02-06-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm pro-Israel for a number of reasons.

The principal reason is that it is the only dependable ally of the United States in the region.
Old 02-06-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
And how many of those countries are being occupied by the West or have their governments influenced by Western powers?
Old 02-06-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
And how many of those countries are being occupied by the West or have their governments influenced by Western powers?
Make the question nebulous enough and the answer is: all of them.
Old 02-10-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Iran killed their internet today. Something up?
Old 02-10-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.salon.com/2012/02/10/isra...ups/singleton/
Given all the prosecutions of politically powerless Muslims for far fewer connections to Terrorist groups than the actions of these powerful (paid) political figures, what conceivable argument is there for not prosecuting Dean, Giuliani, and the rest of them for providing “material support for Terrorism”? What they are providing to MEK is the definitive “material support.” Although these activities (along with those of the above-listed prosecuted Muslims) should be protected free speech, the U.S. Government has repeatedly imprisoned people for it. Indeed, as Georgetown Law Professor David Cole noted, these activities on behalf of MEK are clearly prosecutable as “material support for Terrorism” under the standard advocated by the Bush and Obama DOJs and accepted by the Supreme Court in the Holder v. Humanitarian Law case of 2009, which held that even peaceful advocacy on behalf of a Terrorist group can be prosecuted if done in coordination with the group (ironically, many of these paid MEK supporters have long been advocates of broad application of “material support” statutes (when applied to Muslims, that is) and have even praised the Humanitarian Law case). If we had anything even remotely approaching equal application of the law, Dean, Giuliani, Townsend and the others would be facing prosecution as Terrorist-helpers.
Pay us, and we'll work to take you off the terrorist list.

Then there’s long been the baffling question of where MEK was getting all of this money to pay these American officials. Indeed, the pro-MEK campaign has been lavishly funded. As the CSM noted: ”Besides the string of well-attended events at prestigious American hotels and locations, and in Paris, Brussels, and Berlin, the campaign has included full-page advertisements in The New York Times and Washington Post — which can cost $175,000 apiece.” MEK is basically little more than a nomadic cult: after they sided with Saddam Hussein in his war with Iran, they were widely loathed in Iran and their 3,400 members long lived in camps in Iraq, but the Malaki government no longer wants them there. How has this rag-tag Terrorist cult of Iranian dissidents, who are largely despised in Iran, able to fund such expensive campaigns and to keep U.S. officials on its dole?

All of these mysteries received substantial clarity from an NBC News report by Richard Engel and Robert Windrem yesterday. Citing two anonymous “senior U.S. officials,” that report makes two amazing claims: (1) that it was MEK which perpetrated the string of assassinations of Iranian nuclear scientists and (2) the Terrorist group “is financed, trained and armed by Israel’s secret service.” These senior officials also admitted that “the Obama administration is aware of the assassination campaign” but claims it “has no direct involvement.” Iran has long insisted the Israel and the U.S. are using MEK to carry out Terrorist attacks on its soil, including the murder of its scientists, and NBC notes that these acknowledgments “confirm charges leveled by Iran’s leaders” (MEK issued a statement denying the report).
Old 02-10-12, 08:57 PM
Suspended

The prestigious and intelligent Georgetown Law Professor David Cole should also note that enforcement of laws will vary by the political party in the White House, at the particular time, and even asking and/or comparing one prosecution of persons/groups to the non-prosecution of a poltician....should be fucking self-explanatory. In case Mr. Cole needs me to explain more, I will.

The US picks and chooses who it wants to prosecute. The legal precedence spans around 230 years.
Old 02-10-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not terrorism or supporting terrorism if the "good guys" do it, duh!
Old 02-11-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
It's not terrorism or supporting terrorism if the "good guys" do it, duh!
Duh!

oops! Forgot I had posted it here. Oh well, it makes sense in both threads
Old 02-12-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope we invade Iran soon... because I can't stand the thought of Iranians taking away my second amendment rights.
Old 02-12-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread was started on November 2, 2011. What part of "imminent" don't the Israelis understand?
Old 02-12-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
This thread was started on November 2, 2011. What part of "imminent" don't the Israelis understand?
They would have done it already, but they keep taking Shabbes.
Old 02-13-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You kill some of ours, we kill some of yours...

Car bombs 'target Israel envoys' in India and Georgia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-17013987
Old 02-14-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also an explosion in Bangkok that some think is related but i think it is speculation
Old 02-14-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Most of the pro-Israel arguments here are predicated on the belief that they should nuke the hell out of Iran. They DO exist.
I'm pro-Israel, and I don't believe Israel should nuke the hell out Iran.
Old 02-14-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Also an explosion in Bangkok that some think is related but i think it is speculation
Iranian man blows off own legs in Bangkok.

He might have just been a tourist, I suppose.
Old 02-14-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Iranians are doing it wrong.

Old 02-14-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Iranian man blows off own legs in Bangkok.

He might have just been a tourist, I suppose.
Or maybe a translation error and the terrorist tried to take "Bangkok" literally.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.