Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition)

Old 02-17-20, 09:30 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition)

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Whatever the outcome, that's a great pledge for the economy! I would hope that his commitment inspires his peers to follow.
Not only that. I am hoping for increased realization of a few things:
- Carbon neutrality in around 10 years is an achievable goal.

- There are actions taken and commitment made by accomplished people, companies, cities and countries. This is not some fanciful idea of Greta Thunberg or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez that can be dismissed or ridiculed.

- The world moves on and gets things done without deniers, skeptics and do-nothing people. We wasted 5-10 years trying to enlist them but now, fuck them. Fuck them.
Old 03-01-20, 09:01 AM
Suspended

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition)

So the GOP's answer to Greta Thunberg is a German Nazi brat? Bold strategy Cotton. Let's see how this plays out

Old 03-01-20, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

Oh, and speaking about Greta, it seems that oil companies are so fucking desperate that now they have to use horrible sexual memes as part of their strategy against Thunberg. Classy.

At least the assholes who throw comments at this girl on social media are seeing their names outed in public.

Old 03-01-20, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 224 Likes on 170 Posts

Shouldn't be surprised that we're seeing the idea of raping women as punishment for transgressions being floated.
Old 03-01-20, 08:34 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Oh, and speaking about Greta, it seems that oil companies are so fucking desperate that now they have to use horrible sexual memes as part of their strategy against Thunberg. Classy.
For some strange reason, it seems that climate change deniers like to demonize Greta Thunberg, not by challenging her points but by asking why she's not in school like kids should be, or claiming that she didn't sail across the ocean because she looked too pale for someone who spent time at sea. Shit like that. What's weird is that among people who work to fight climate change, Thunberg is not a leader or central figure, but she is propped up by their opponents as if she represents them.
Old 03-02-20, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

I saw the sticker. It’s misleading to say that it depicts her in a non consensual sex act.

It depicts her in a submissive sexual position. I’d say that’s much more accurate.
Old 03-02-20, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 189 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I saw the sticker. It’s misleading to say that it depicts her in a non consensual sex act.

It depicts her in a submissive sexual position. I’d say that’s much more accurate.
She’s 17.
Old 03-02-20, 10:53 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Whether she is 17 or 71, it takes a special kind of asshole to do that.
Old 03-02-20, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Not surprisingly, they're also thieves.

'Shame on you, people': Tattoo artist whose design was altered for Greta stickers speaks out

EDMONTON -- An Argentinian tattoo artist says X-Site Energy Services altered his design to make the decal that appears to show Greta Thunberg in a sex act, and he wants to take legal action.

German Canalla told CTV News Edmonton he received a message on Instagram alerting him of his art being turned into disturbing stickers of the climate activist.

"I was like, 'What the f***," Canalla said. "I was really shocked and surprised."

Canalla's drawing, of which he made four or five and sold around the world, shows a pair of hands holding the braids of a woman from behind. The altered imaged included "Greta" on the female's back and the X-Site Energy Services logo.

Canalla says his work is erotic and about consensual sex, but "never about rape and child abuse."

The Argentine said he's currently looking for a copyright lawyer to sue X-Site Energy Services.

"What the f*** are you thinking? It's horrible. This is a teenager, trying to do something good for the world … shame on you, people."
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/shame-on...-out-1.4835947
Old 03-02-20, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Whether she is 17 or 71, it takes a special kind of asshole to do that.
Well sure, but that 17 year old is not consenting to that act.
Old 03-03-20, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It takes a special kind of asshole to get on tv and steam at everyone “How dare you!”
Old 03-03-20, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It takes a special kind of asshole to get on tv and steam at everyone “How dare you!”
Yeah, she asked for it.
Old 03-03-20, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Sometimes I wonder if you take the positions you do, simply because you are trying to add balance to the forum, and give the other side's perspective? Or if you really believe the stuff you type.
Old 03-03-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if you take the positions you do, simply because you are trying to add balance to the forum, and give the other side's perspective? Or if you really believe the stuff you type.
Don't you know? Everything must be MemeSlayed™. Even unnecessary clarifications about a cartoon depicting a sex act on a 17 year old.
Old 03-03-20, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Truth be told I am a bit of a character. Mabuse is my own perspective and feelings amplified about ten percent.

Just like Greta. That “how dare you” business is just an act to get her point across. She’s not actually that angry.
Old 03-03-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI Google tells me age of consent in Sweden is 15.
Old 03-03-20, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI Google tells me age of consent in Sweden is 15.
What a wonderful clarification.
Old 03-03-20, 11:41 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

That's the Mabuse school of law. If she is old enough, anyone can do anything to her.
Old 03-03-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was horribly tasteless. But I also think that news report was horribly misleading.
Old 04-22-20, 06:13 AM

Received 353 Likes on 248 Posts

Michael Moore presents Planet of the Humans, a documentary that dares to say what no one else will this Earth Day — that we are losing the battle to stop climate change on planet earth because we are following leaders who have taken us down the wrong road — selling out the green movement to wealthy interests and corporate America. This film is the wake-up call to the reality we are afraid to face: that in the midst of a human-caused extinction event, the environmental movement’s answer is to push for techno-fixes and band-aids. It's too little, too late.

Removed from the debate is the only thing that MIGHT save us: getting a grip on our out-of-control human presence and consumption. Why is this not THE issue? Because that would be bad for profits, bad for business. Have we environmentalists fallen for illusions, “green” illusions, that are anything but green, because we’re scared that this is the end—and we’ve pinned all our hopes on biomass, wind turbines, and electric cars?

No amount of batteries are going to save us, warns director Jeff Gibbs (lifelong environmentalist and co-producer of “Fahrenheit 9/11” and “Bowling for Columbine"). This urgent, must-see movie, a full-frontal assault on our sacred cows, is guaranteed to generate anger, debate, and, hopefully, a willingness to see our survival in a new way—before it’s too late.

Featuring: Al Gore, Bill McKibben, Richard Branson, Robert F Kennedy Jr., Michael Bloomberg, Van Jones, Vinod Khosla, Koch Brothers, Vandana Shiva, General Motors, 350.org, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sierra Club, the Union of Concerned Scientists, Nature Conservancy, Elon Musk, Tesla.

Music by: Radiohead, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Blank & Jones, If These Trees Could Talk, Valentina Lisitsa, Culprit 1, Patrick O’hearn, The Torquays, Nigel Stanford, and many more.
I'll check this out.

I don't usually watch feature length stuff on YouTube. But hey... it's free.
Old 09-15-20, 03:10 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

We haven’t talked about global warming much lately, but David Legates was appointed Deputy Commerce Secretary to help run the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Adminnistration. The NOAA funds a lot of climate research work in addition to producing hurricane maps for Trump to update with his Sharpie pen.

Legates is one of those climate change deniers who think that CO2 is good for the planet because it helps plants grow (which is true). This is Trump again doing his best to damage science in this country, putting a climate change denier in charge of researching climate. Fucking idiot.

Last edited by Psi; 09-15-20 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After Trump’s performance in front of that panel in California I’m starting to think climate change may be the realest thing ever.
Old 09-16-20, 02:42 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure Trump sucks... a lot of CO2 and that's why he's grown so much.
Old 09-17-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In the earth's geologic history when the CO2 was too high (due to release of CO2 from volcanic eruptions) and the planet was heating up, there were millions of years where plants went crazy (it also helped that there was lots of shallow water due to the melted ice caps). The plants would pull in the carbon in the air through the CO2 and then when the plants died, the carbon would be buried with the plant. All this carbon became great deposits of coal in many locations across the earth. The plants pulling the carbon from the air reduced the greenhouse effect which resulted in lower temperatures and the formation of ice at the poles.

The current problem is that we're adding too much carbon into the air at too high of a rate while also killing plants. We've already passed the point of "things are going to get hot" since it takes many years to turn the greenhouse effect around but we need to do something soon before we pass the "our decedents are screwed" point.
Old 09-17-20, 01:31 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

The “CO2 is good for plants” argument is dishonest. Of course more CO2 makes plants grow faster, just like more fertilizer. If we feed a person more food and calories the person will be bigger and heavier too. But is that the only thing we care about?

From an economic point of view alone, fertilizer and food cost money, so even if we care only about size and weight, do we get enough benefit from feeding more to outweigh the cost? And then there are all the other consequences. A bigger heavier person is not necessaily healthier., and producing more CO2 to make plants grow bigger and faster does damage to the Earth by raising temperature and causing many other problems.

These climate change deniers try to over-simplify a complicated problem to a single parameter and goal to make more CO2 to accelerate plant growth, and it ain’t that simple. And putting such a fucking moron in charge of running the NOAA is another idiotic thing Trump does to hurt people and the environment.

Last edited by Psi; 09-18-20 at 10:19 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.