Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

A selection of ballots being challenged by Joe Miller in the Alaska Senate Race

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

A selection of ballots being challenged by Joe Miller in the Alaska Senate Race

Old 11-13-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: A selection of ballots being challenged by Joe Miller in the Alaska Senate Race

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
If the law in Alaska is what I've heard stated, there's nothing wrong in what Miller is doing as far as elections go.

Even if it's not - there is nothing politically wrong with it. And, that's what we're talking about - politics.
Encouraging others with similar sounding names to get on the ballot as a write-in candidate for the sole purpose of sabotaging Murkowski's chances may be legal, but it sure is slimy.

That is why Miller is NOT getting "a bad rap"... he's getting what he deserves.

The Tea Party (fueled by Glenn Beck) in large part claims to be about bringing integrity back to the political process, about politicians listening and obeying the will of the people. What part of sabotaging the process brings integrity or listening to the will of the people?

The Tea Party is NOT about politics as usual... (or so they claim)
Old 11-13-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: A selection of ballots being challenged by Joe Miller in the Alaska Senate Race

Admit it! Your problem is with the Tea Party.

You had better get use to it. It's going to be a viable political player for quite some time.
Old 11-13-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a hard time believing that. I'm guessing they promised more than they can deliver and will leave their supporters disillusioned in two years
Old 11-13-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Is that just wishful thinking on your part? You're wrong, IMO.

If I'm here two years from now, I will expect an apology from you.
Old 11-13-10, 07:56 PM
Banned by request

If you're here two years from now, I think you'll owe an apology to all of us!
Old 11-13-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
I have a hard time believing that. I'm guessing they promised more than they can deliver and will leave their supporters disillusioned in two years
They might be around for another two years but certainly no more than five. When the economy picks up and/or there's no longer a Democrat in the White House, they'll go away.
Old 11-13-10, 08:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that even if there was a Republican in the White House we'd still have a tea party. Their message is fiscal responsibility, remember?
Old 11-14-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

The Tea Party did it right.

Instead of trying to build a third-party movement - they 'infilitrated' one of the two major political parties - the Republican Party.
Old 11-14-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Tea Party candidates will arrive in Washington and discover that 1) the government plans to spend $1.3 trillion more than its income this year, 2) lowering taxes won't reduce the gap, 3) 85% of the Federal budget is Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, and National Defense, and 4) Tea Party voters don't want any of those programs cut.

If they make deep cuts in programs or if they raise taxes, they won't be re-elected. More importantly, their colleagues with more seniority won't be re-elected. The best they will be able to do is to talk big but make small changes (like $100 billion small).

In two years, Tea Party candidates will be indistinguishable from their Democratic and Republican colleagues.
Old 11-14-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
To anyone (and, oh yes, that means everyone) on the outside of their little "organization", that only makes them appear to be......

....more Republicans.

Whoo-hoo, that's a mighty big accomplishment....I guess.
I have no idea what you are attempting (and failing) to say.

Perhaps you should try again.
Old 11-14-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the law in Alaska is what I've heard stated, there's nothing wrong in what Miller is doing as far as elections go.
Who said Tammany Hall was dead? Next you can enlighten us on the subject of "honest graft," Mr. Plunkitt
Old 11-14-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
?
I mentally misspelled her name when noting the second one. My post should not count.
Old 11-14-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that just wishful thinking on your part? You're wrong, IMO.
I hope the tea party succeeds in cutting the deficit and debt. I just doubt they can.
Old 11-14-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
I hope the tea party succeeds in cutting the deficit and debt. I just doubt they can.
Be realistic.

The Tea Party has how many members in Congress?

Of course they can't cut the deficit & debt by themselves.

Under the regular order that the congress currently operates under, it is going to be extremely difficult (or immpossible) to accomplish that.

What's needed is a change in the way the congress does business; and, a signficant improvement in the economy.
Old 11-14-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The Tea Party candidates will arrive in Washington and discover that 1) the government plans to spend $1.3 trillion more than its income this year, 2) lowering taxes won't reduce the gap, 3) 85% of the Federal budget is Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, and National Defense, and 4) Tea Party voters don't want any of those programs cut.

If they make deep cuts in programs or if they raise taxes, they won't be re-elected. More importantly, their colleagues with more seniority won't be re-elected. The best they will be able to do is to talk big but make small changes (like $100 billion small).

In two years, Tea Party candidates will be indistinguishable from their Democratic and Republican colleagues.
This! Couldnt have said it better.
Old 11-14-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
You think?

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."
Old 11-14-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Tea Party did it right.

Instead of trying to build a third-party movement - they 'infilitrated' one of the two major political parties - the Republican Party.
Yeah, they did it right.... they lied. They claimed to be independent of either party and would back candidates that stood for their beliefs.... and yet they supported Republicans who voted for TARP and opposed the 9 Democrats who voted against TARP.

They are as morally bankrupt as the politicians they wanted to replace.
Old 11-15-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

morally bankrupt

I shouldn't be surprised at this pollyannaish attitude that some of our members have concerning politics; but I am.
Old 11-15-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-15-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

morally bankrupt

I shouldn't be surprised at this pollyannaish attitude that some of our members have concerning politics; but I am.
No pollyannaish attitude here. I knew from the get-go that the Tea Party was nothing more than political opportunists.

Are you aware that there's a difference between pointing out hypocrisy and believing it?
Old 11-15-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
No pollyannaish attitude here. I knew from the get-go that the Tea Party was nothing more than political opportunists.

Are you aware that there's a difference between pointing out hypocrisy and believing it?
Criticizing the Tea Party for hypocrisy is no different than sarcastically saying, "Change" every time Obama fails to live up to his campaign promises. Yeah, all politicians break promises, but when they make grandiose claims about being transformational and above the fray, it's worth pointing out the Emperor has no clothes.
Old 11-17-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Murkoski officially wins the Alaska Senate seat.
Old 11-18-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

The burning question is: 'Will Murkowski caucus with the Republicans?'

Second question: Does it make any difference?
Old 11-18-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Second question: Does it make any difference?
The answers are "Of course" and "No."
Old 11-18-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Will Lieberman and the Vermont commie caucus with the Democrats again? Does a bear shit in the woods?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.