Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Old 11-09-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Normally, a politician waits more than a week to run away from his campaign promises. Not Rand Paul:

Father and son, age 47, have different styles. Asked what he wanted to do in Washington in a Wednesday morning television interview, the senator-elect said that his kids were hoping to meet the Obama girls. He has made other concessions to the mainstream. He now avoids his dad's talk of shuttering the Federal Reserve and abolishing the income tax. In a bigger shift from his campaign pledge to end earmarks, he tells me that they are a bad "symbol" of easy spending but that he will fight for Kentucky's share of earmarks and federal pork, as long as it's doled out transparently at the committee level and not parachuted in in the dead of night. "I will advocate for Kentucky's interests," he says.

So you're not a crazy libertarian? "Not that crazy," he cracks.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...626268782.html

Translation: I want my share of the pork. Oink oink oink!

So did you believe Senator-elect Paul when he talked his Tea Party talk?
Old 11-09-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

The Dems lost big time Jason.

You, and most of the media, are gonna have to come to terms with that.
Old 11-10-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A new topic for six words? This is almost as embarrassing as Anderson Cooper's leading story about Palin's most recent facebook post. I like me some AC (and JasonF!) but c'mon guys... you gotta do better.
Old 11-10-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You kidding Artman?

A politician who may not live up to to the letter of his campaign promises is brand new and groundbreaking news! We should all be shocked!

Unless you are Jason and most of the media, and the politician is a Democrat of course. Then it's no story at all.
Old 11-10-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rand Paul
I will advocate for Kentucky's interests,
That spineless piece of rat shit!
Old 11-10-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it would be wise to abandon Kentucky's interests in the pursuit of systemic change. If it's done transparently, then the time to go after him will be when we see what earmarks he puts forth.

I understand the itch to go after people who break their promises after getting burned by the Obamster so badly, but don't get too trigger happy.
Old 11-10-10, 12:39 AM
Needs to provide a working email

JasonF, I'm sorry I missed your similar thread about Obama. Could you link it, please?
Old 11-10-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew all of these tea party assclowns were full of shit, but I'm a little surprised Rand Paul is the first to admit it.
Old 11-10-10, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. Doesn't look so much like a Ron Paul as any other Republican. We'll have to see how he actually votes.
Old 11-10-10, 07:45 AM

Wow, Jason is getting a virtual curb-stomp in this thread.
Old 11-10-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
JasonF, I'm sorry I missed your similar thread about Obama. Could you link it, please?
Old 11-10-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't think a representative is worth a damn if he doesn't 'get things' for his constituency. That's one of his primary obligations.
Old 11-10-10, 07:57 AM

All I can say about Senator-elect Paul is that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Make of that what you will.
Old 11-10-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
A politician who may not live up to to the letter of his campaign promises is brand new and groundbreaking news! We should all be shocked!
Judging by the last two years here I thought most members were truly shocked by that.
Old 11-10-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
The Dems lost big time Jason.

You, and most of the media, are gonna have to come to terms with that.
More to the point, the American people are gonna have to come to terms with that. But Senator-elect Paul promised he was going to get rid of the deficit by cutting the pork. Do you care that he lied to you, and that you fell for it?

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
A new topic for six words? This is almost as embarrassing as Anderson Cooper's leading story about Palin's most recent facebook post. I like me some AC (and JasonF!) but c'mon guys... you gotta do better.
Don't worry. I've forwarded three mint-in-box new topics to Internet Brands, so this actually doesn't have a negative impact on the board's ability to discuss various important issues such as Michele Obama's arms.

And I would have bolded more than six words, but that was how many words it took Senator-elect Paul to reveal his true colors.

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
If you send a note to the Admins, they can help you fix the problem where you can't see the "New Post" button.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I knew all of these tea party assclowns were full of shit, but I'm a little surprised Rand Paul is the first to admit it.
This is my point. I'm glad someone got it instead of focusing on how mean I am to pick on poor widdle Wand Paul.

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Hmm. Doesn't look so much like a Ron Paul as any other Republican. We'll have to see how he actually votes.
Don't hold your breath to wait for him to vote any way other than a typical Republican -- in other words, he's going to talk about fiscal responsibility while robbing the public treasury to benefit his cronies and sedating the public with promises of tax cuts.

Speaking of which, the Republican Study Group has proposed saving $25 billion by cancelling a program that expired last year. How exactly is that supposed to work?
Old 11-10-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Not to defend Paul but
...he tells me that they are a bad "symbol" of easy spending but that he will fight for Kentucky's share of earmarks and federal pork, as long as it's doled out transparently at the committee level and not parachuted in in the dead of night. "I will advocate for Kentucky's interests,"
I don't know the full context of what was said, but the bolded doesn't seem to fully equal the preceeding. Maybe it was clearer in the actual interview.
Old 11-10-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't believe anyone of DVD Political Forum believes that a politician is going to keep his/her promise(s).
Old 11-10-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

His first speech on the floor, he promises, will be on "the out-of-control deficit." But since, "as Mark Twain said about the weather, that everybody is talking about it and nobody is doing anything about it," Mr. Paul plans in his first legislative act to introduce a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced federal budget. And, he adds, he'll force a vote on it, too: "People don't like to vote against something that's so incredibly popular." He also wants to look hard at steep cuts in defense and entitlements, the largest chunks of federal outlays, and in one swoop antagonize many Democratic and Republican lawmakers.

I'm guessing that isn't going to happen either.
Old 11-10-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Elliott Spitzer of all people EXCORIATED Rand Paul on his show last night.

Paul would not or could not name a single program he would cut. Not one. He also said he would not cut Medicare reimbursements to doctors a single penny. Interesting considering he is a doctor. He wants to the patient to pay more, the insurance premiums to be higher, but will not share the pain at the service provider level. He is a naive opportunist and a pretty bad thinker. He will have ZERO success at implementing any of the bullshit rhetoric that got him elected.

He wants a balanced budget NEXT year () yet won't cut Medicare and Social Security by 25% which is what it would take. His home state of Kentucky is one of highest recipients of government aid in the nation.

It was good that he did put defense on the table. Too bad he'd be the only Repub to do so.

Here it is:

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2010/11/09/exp.ps.rand.paul.cuts.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2010/11/09/exp.ps.rand.paul.cuts.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

Last edited by CRM114; 11-10-10 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-10-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Elliott Spitzer of all people EXCORIATED Rand Paul on his show last night.

Paul would not or could not name a single program he would cut. Not one. He also said he would not cut Medicare reimbursements to doctors a single penny. Interesting considering he is a doctor. He wants to the patient to pay more, the insurance premiums to be higher, but will not share the pain at the service provider level. He is a naive opportunist and a pretty bad thinker. He will have ZERO success at implementing any of the bullshit rhetoric that got him elected.

He wants a balanced budget NEXT year () yet won't cut Medicare and Social Security by 25% which is what it would take. His home state of Kentucky is one of highest recipients of government aid in the nation.

It was good that he did put defense on the table. Too bad he'd be the only Repub to do so.

Here it is:

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2010/11/09/exp.ps.rand.paul.cuts.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2010/11/09/exp.ps.rand.paul.cuts.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>
I don't have a big problem with a newly elected senator saying they need to take a closer look at the specific programs before committing to what absolutely needs to be cut.
Old 11-10-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When you say you are going to propose a balanced budget in 2011 which requires a 25% cut, I think you should have some idea. Also, considering the 25% certainly must involve Medicare, SS, and defense, that'd be a pretty good first answer, no?
Old 11-10-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I agree. And I believe you should have some idea what a health care plan is going to cost.
Old 11-10-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When you say you are going to propose a balanced budget in 2011, I believe you should say how... in 2011.

Don't be slaves to the instant gratification media. Obama has had almost 2 years to change, people are expecting Rand Paul to do it before he even takes office?
Old 11-10-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Not to defend Paul but I don't know the full context of what was said, but the bolded doesn't seem to fully equal the preceeding. Maybe it was clearer in the actual interview.
I think it is pretty obvious that he says he will advocate for Kentucky's interests. I don't know how these rat bastards continue to get elected. Does he honestly think his constituents want him to advocate for their interests? That isn't what this election was about, dammit.
Old 11-10-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I agree. And I believe you should have some idea what a health care plan is going to cost.
I believe there was a government agency involved that has stated what it will cost. Did you want the President to contract a private accounting firm? BTW, are you willing to forgo your government healthcare because of the uncertainty of it's cost? Didn't think so.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.