Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

"I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Old 10-24-10, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...to_post_a.html

why do I get the feeling that if someone were to post the exact same ad at a mosque, but with "muslim roommate" instead of "christian roommate" or at a synagogue with "jewish roommate," this wouldn't be an issue.

how much longer until "the right to not be offended" is officially added to the Constitution.
Old 10-24-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

The law is pretty clear, if stupid. She can discriminate all she wants because owner occupied buildings with fewer than 4 rental units are exempt from the Fair Housing Act. She doesn't have to "interview them over coffee" before informing potential renters either, she just can't advertise it.
Old 10-24-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Would an advertisement stating 'I want an atheist roommate' violate the fair housing code?
Old 10-24-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Laws or regulations against advertising for a particular type of roommate are just plain stupid and wrong.
Old 10-24-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatever happened to the freedom one has in this country to pick and choose how they want to live their lives and with whom? Pretty soon they will be telling us how many children we are allowed to have and the list will go on and on.
Old 10-24-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by djones6746 View Post
Whatever happened to the freedom one has in this country to pick and choose how they want to live their lives and with whom? Pretty soon they will be telling us how many children we are allowed to have and the list will go on and on.
1964 happened
Old 10-24-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Would an advertisement stating 'I want an atheist roommate' violate the fair housing code?
I think we're covered in the general exception for Jews, Muslims, blacks, Hispanics, etc. Ms. Haynes sounds like a perfect bitch; I am sure she would only discriminate against the right of a member of a white, Christian majority to choose a roommate, never against a minority.

There is an obvious difference between roommates actually sharing livings space, and the common areas of an apartment complex.
Old 10-24-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
I think we're covered in the general exception for Jews, Muslims, blacks, Hispanics, etc. Ms. Haynes sounds like a perfect bitch; I am sure she would only discriminate against the right of a member of a white, Christian majority to choose a roommate, never against a minority.

There is an obvious difference between roommates actually sharing livings space, and the common areas of an apartment complex.
Are you in agreement with such codes?

I thought you had a libertarian streak - apparently not.
Old 10-24-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
why do I get the feeling that if someone were to post the exact same ad at a mosque, but with "muslim roommate" instead of "christian roommate" or at a synagogue with "jewish roommate," this wouldn't be an issue.
Because of the widespread persecution of Christians in this country.
Old 10-24-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ms. Haynes sounds like a perfect bitch; I am sure she would only discriminate against the right of a member of a white, Christian majority to choose a roommate, never against a minority.
Wow, what a hypocritical fucking bitch (based on a scenario you invented).
Old 10-24-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Sheesh - the person who reported the ad must have had nothing better to do that day.
Old 10-24-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Judging by some of the responses, I do think we need to distinguish between the right to choose which roommate one wants (that right, at least, is still intact) and the right to advertise for the type of roommate one wants. That right we seem to have lost and we shouldn't have. (Remember, the advertising medium still should have the right to accept or reject the ad.)
Old 10-24-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Sheesh - the person who reported the ad must have had nothing better to do that day.
There is a certain breed of atheist that is on the constant and never ending look out for something religious (with luck, Christian) that offends them.
Old 10-24-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
There is a certain breed of atheist that is on the constant and never ending look out for something religious (with luck, Christian) that offends them.
Unfortunately, that's true. But you can replace "atheist" (and other corresponding words) with anything else you want and you'd still be correct.
Old 10-24-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Unfortunately, that's true. But you can replace "atheist" (and other corresponding words) with anything else you want and you'd still be correct.
Of course you can, I agree. If I were a Christian the hard Christian right would embarrass me. Since I am an atheist my own kind gets most of my ire.
Old 10-24-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Are you in agreement with such codes?

I thought you had a libertarian streak - apparently not.
For apartment rental, housing purchase, etc yes. Anyway, they are the law, and unlikely to get changed.

To "extend" this right to roommate selection demonstrates gross overreach, indicating to me that Ms. Haynes is a "housing nazi" and probably unqualified for her job, as it seems very debatable whether she understands the law. If she is advocating expansion of the law, I'm opposed to it.

If someone prefers a Christian roommate, that's fine with me. I'd prefer to know it up front in the ad, and not waste my time.

As to being a libertarian, no, not really. I sometimes agree with the libertarian position, other times not. Liberals want to (over) regulate everything, libertarians want to regulate nothing. We need to look for balance, and ask whether involving the government will make the situation better or worse. On any particular, we may disagree, but it is about looking for that balance.
Old 10-24-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Of course you can, I agree. If I were a Christian the hard Christian right would embarrass me. Since I am an atheist my own kind gets most of my ire.
I don't mind giving my own kind ire when they deserve it. But I like giving the other guys ire more.
Old 10-24-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Wow, what a hypocritical fucking bitch (based on a scenario you invented).
Did you read the link? She apparently thinks you must accept any roommate willing to pay. Selection is discrimination.
Old 10-24-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you read the link? She apparently thinks you must accept any roommate willing to pay. Selection is discrimination.
I think I might be somewhat better at reading than you:

Although the woman might choose a roommate based on religion, say, after interviewing the person over coffee, she cannot publish an ad with that intent, Haynes said.
"She can choose to rent to a Christian, that's her prerogative," she said. "It's a separate violation to make a discriminatory statement, to publish a discriminatory statement."
Old 10-24-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, maybe she just wants someone she can easily control. Being roommates is tough.
Old 10-24-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There should be a line drawn between an advertisement in a public media versus an advertisement in a private media (i.e., the church bulletin board.)

Originally Posted by From the Article
The Fair Housing Center of West Michigan might ask for an initial reimbursement of $300 for time spent on the issue and training for the woman
No worries, comrade! Your re-education will come at a low, low cost for you. This week we have right-think on sale!
Old 10-24-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork View Post
I think I might be somewhat better at reading than you:
Haynes also says
"This is about a business transaction," she said. "While she's not a landlord per se, she is looking for someone to pay her to live in her house."
This is actually about finding a suitable roomate, who will pay some rent.
I think Haynes is overreaching the law; if not, the law is fucking stupid if it REALLY applies to a one-on-one situation like a roommate.
Old 10-24-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would rather be warned about a potential roommate's attitudes before I move in.

I would hate to get all moved in, and THEN find out that my new "landlord" thinks my fantasy books are demonic.
Old 10-24-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does the woman care what religion her roommate is?
Old 10-24-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why does the woman care what religion her roommate is?
I would hate to live with a judgmental prick myself.

You are seriously asking that? Or are you simply asking to spark a debate?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.