DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   After being outed by Fox News, Obama cancels no-bid contract for one of his donors. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/568847-after-being-outed-fox-news-obama-cancels-no-bid-contract-one-his-donors.html)

grundle 01-31-10 10:13 PM

After being outed by Fox News, Obama cancels no-bid contract for one of his donors.

Hooray for Fox News!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...cractic-donor/

January 31, 2010

U.S. Cancels No-Bid Contract for Afghan Work Given to Democratic Donor

The U.S. has canceled a $25 million federal contract for work in Afghanistan awarded to a company owned by a Democratic campaign contributor who did not face competitive bids.

The cancellation comes after Fox News first reported on the details of the contract last week, prompting lawmakers to make inquiries into the deal.

State Department Spokesman P.J. Crowley said that USAID terminated the award and is now working on an appropriate resolution.

"If you want to say this violates the basis on which this administration came into office and campaigned, fair enough," Crowley told Fox News.

The contract had been awarded on Jan. 4 to Checchi & Company Consulting, a Washington-based firm owned by economist and Democratic donor Vincent V. Checchi that was hired to provide "rule of law stabilization services" in war-torn Afghanistan.

A synopsis of the contract published on the USAID Web site said Checchi & Company would "train the next generation of legal professionals" throughout the Afghan provinces and thereby "develop the capacity of Afghanistan's justice system to be accessible, reliable, and fair."

The legality of the arrangement as a "sole source," or no-bid, contract was made possible by virtue of a waiver signed by the USAID administrator.

When Checchi was contacted by Fox News for its earlier report, he confirmed that his company had indeed received the nearly $25 million contract but declined to say why it had been awarded on a no-bid basis, referring a reporter to USAID.

Asked if he or his firm had been aware that the contract was awarded without competitive bids, Checchi replied: "After it was awarded to us, sure. Before, we had no idea."

Joseph A. Fredericks, director of public information at USAID, told Fox News the Checchi deal was actually a renewal of a five-year, $44 million contract, awarded in 2004 by the Bush administration after a competitive bid process.

Crowley said the new contract was only for a year, and that USAID "didn't want to have a gap" in the programs. Now that it goes to bid, it is a "possible outcome" that Checchi will get the contract anyway.

"What was missing was a determination that there was an urgent and compelling reason to award" the contract on a no-bid basis to Checchi; thus the revocation following the protest, he said.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., the ranking Republican on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, told Fox News the no-bid contract in this case "disturbed" him.

Issa had written to USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah requesting that the agency "produce all documents related to the Checchi contract" on or before Feb. 5. Citing the waiver that enabled USAID to award the contract on a no-bid basis, Issa noted that the exemption was intended to speed up the provision of services in a crisis environment.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., who chairs the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee's Subcommittee on Contracting Oversight, told Fox News she, too, was seeking answers about the Checchi contract.

As a candidate for president in 2008, Obama, then a senator, frequently derided the Bush administration for the awarding of federal contracts without competitive bidding.

Less than two months after he was sworn into office, President Obama signed a memorandum that he claimed would "dramatically reform the way we do business on contracts across the entire government."

"If you want to say this violates the basis on which this administration came into office and campaigned, fair enough," Crowley told Fox News.

Federal campaign records show Checchi has been a frequent contributor to liberal and Democratic causes and candidates in recent years, including to Obama's presidential campaign. The records show Checchi has given at least $4,400 to Obama dating back to March 2007, close to the maximum amount allowed.

kvrdave 01-31-10 11:37 PM

Re: After being outed by Fox News, Obama cancels no-bid contract for one of his donor

If the administration really wants competitive bids on things, do you think they will get rid of "prevailing wage" rules for bids? Me either. It was just a campaign talking point. And prevailing wage must remain to give unions a shot at winning bids and give others who win contracts a reason to love their government. And the rest of us just have to continue to pay far more for roads being built, etc.

JasonF 01-31-10 11:54 PM

Re: After being outed by Fox News, Obama cancels no-bid contract for one of his donor

I was going to ask if we needed a second thread for this, but then I realized the first thread didn't have it's tongue sufficiently up Fox's ass, so carry on. :up:

Th0r S1mpson 02-01-10 12:13 AM

Um, gross.

kvrdave 02-01-10 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9974556)
I was going to ask if we needed a second thread for this, but then I realized the first thread didn't have it's tongue sufficiently up Fox's ass, so carry on. :up:

I'm also upset that they exposed this, if it makes you feel better. :lol:

Mr. Salty 02-01-10 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 9974401)
Hooray for Fox News!

How did you feel about all of Bush and Cheney's no-bid contracts?

kvrdave 02-01-10 12:19 AM

They didn't bother me, but they got plenty of coverage. I would also say "Hooray for Fox News" so that this at least also gets covered. If not for Fox, we wouldn't know.

Cheato 02-01-10 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 9974577)

I'm surprised it took 5 posts for the inevitable "what about the other guy" question.

It doesn't fucking matter what Bush's administration did in a different situation with different bids and different promises. Nor does it matter what Clinton's or Johnson's or Roosevelt's did. It matters what Obama's is doing now. And it matters if he is keeping the promises he made. Stop looking for hypocrites on "the other side."

Of course I see why people always try to cloud issues like this and justify one side's bad behavior by pointing to the other side's equally bad behavior (or in some cases, worse behavior). Nobody wants high standards anymore--well, at least for their own side.

Wouldn't it be better, though, to focus on shooting for good behavior, and then criticize the other side when they don't live up to that standard? Why are people always aiming at low standards with comments like this?

Mr. Salty 02-01-10 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cheato (Post 9974686)
Of course I see why people always try to cloud issues like this and justify one side's bad behavior by pointing to the other side's equally bad behavior (or in some cases, worse behavior). Nobody wants high standards anymore--well, at least for their own side.

There's nothing in my post to indicate I justify Obama awarding a $25 million contract to a campaign donor. I would, however, like to know if grundle objected when the party he supports awarded hundreds of billions of dollars to campaign donors. It's a fair, if tangential, question, but I can see how it would be easier to attack the question rather than answer it.

Groucho 02-01-10 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cheato (Post 9974686)
It matters what Obama's is doing now. And it matters if he is keeping the promises he made. Stop looking for hypocrites on "the other side."

Well said, I totally agree. But to be fair the Republicans did the exact same thing whenever somebody criticized Bush.

VinVega 02-01-10 09:50 AM

I say boo to FoxNews because they are evil. :p

DeputyDave 02-01-10 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9974556)

Speaking of which, I tried this last night with my girl friend and she went absolutely nuts. Tonight I'm going to ask her to do her Brit Hume impersonation. It is going to be so hot!

orangecrush 02-01-10 10:03 AM

Where's my Boo-urns option?

Mr. Salty 02-01-10 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9974771)
Well said, I totally agree. But to be fair the Republicans did the exact same thing whenever somebody criticized Bush.

The hypocrisy is worth pointing out because it's what allows or even encourages this sort of thing to continue. One side gets away with it, so the other side thinks they're entitled to do the same thing. Repeat ad infinitim.

Josh-da-man 02-01-10 06:10 PM

"It's okay for my guy to do it, but bad when your does it" is pretty much Politics 101.

Though I can't help but wonder if all of these people pointing out no bid contracts ever follow their local governments.

There's one construction company where I live that gets all of the city contracts to stand around in front of cement mixers and smoke cigarettes for ten million dollars a year.

I've offered to start smoking and do the same thing for half of that what they're paying the other guy, but noooooo.

Th0r S1mpson 02-01-10 06:14 PM

Was this uncovered by a guy disguised as an Afghan pimp?

grundle 02-01-10 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 9974577)

I'm against those too.

classicman2 02-01-10 09:24 PM

You're against all no-bid contracts?

Cheato 02-02-10 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 9975669)
The hypocrisy is worth pointing out because it's what allows or even encourages this sort of thing to continue. One side gets away with it, so the other side thinks they're entitled to do the same thing. Repeat ad infinitim.

This is insane logic. It accomplishes the exact opposite of what you seem to want. By "pointing out" the "hypocrisy," all you wind up doing is ignoring the current problem by refocusing on past problems. Then, 6 months later, the other side does it, saying that your side didn't complain when your guy did it (which is exactly what seems to be happening).

This is a continued look backward. It is continued disregard of the issue at hand. It is continued unwillingness to hold your own side to any real standard, other than the low bar set by the other side (which you, hypocritically, then criticize). (And by "you," I don't necessarily mean you, "Mr. Salty," but rather anyone reading this who falls into that kind of logic trap.)

However, if you would just focus on the issue at hand, criticize bad behavior whenever it occurs, regardless of which "side" is at fault, and force people to pay penalties for that bad behavior, both sides would eventually find themselves in admirable positions, instead of always scrambling to explain away the crap they did.

It's the difference between shooting for the lowest common denominator and shooting for being better than the other guy. Looking backward or looking forward. Don't bother with the "those who ignore the past..." I am not saying to ignore the past. I am saying that yes, the past sucked. I'm also saying let's not perpetuate those lies and deceptions.

Your attempt to showcase hypocrisy ultimately serves only one purpose: to justify current bad behavior. Is this what you really want?

It doesn't matter that Bush or Clinton or anybody else had no-bid contracts. Yes, it was bad, and yes, it is already done and history will judge them for it. What matters today is that Obama said it wouldn't happen during his watch and it did. It also matters that his administration, once it was brought to light, took steps to clean it up, and admitted it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Quit worrying about people giving Bush a pass. Last I saw, his poll numbers weren't so hot and he wasn't President anymore. You should worry more about people giving Obama a pass. He's the one in office. Do you care more about who your ex-wife is having sex with or who your current wife is having sex with?

dave-o 02-02-10 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato (Post 9976848)
This is insane logic. It accomplishes the exact opposite of what you seem to want. By "pointing out" the "hypocrisy," all you wind up doing is ignoring the current problem by refocusing on past problems. Then, 6 months later, the other side does it, saying that your side didn't complain when your guy did it (which is exactly what seems to be happening).

This is a continued look backward. It is continued disregard of the issue at hand. It is continued unwillingness to hold your own side to any real standard, other than the low bar set by the other side (which you, hypocritically, then criticize). (And by "you," I don't necessarily mean you, "Mr. Salty," but rather anyone reading this who falls into that kind of logic trap.)

However, if you would just focus on the issue at hand, criticize bad behavior whenever it occurs, regardless of which "side" is at fault, and force people to pay penalties for that bad behavior, both sides would eventually find themselves in admirable positions, instead of always scrambling to explain away the crap they did.

It's the difference between shooting for the lowest common denominator and shooting for being better than the other guy. Looking backward or looking forward. Don't bother with the "those who ignore the past..." I am not saying to ignore the past. I am saying that yes, the past sucked. I'm also saying let's not perpetuate those lies and deceptions.

Your attempt to showcase hypocrisy ultimately serves only one purpose: to justify current bad behavior. Is this what you really want?

It doesn't matter that Bush or Clinton or anybody else had no-bid contracts. Yes, it was bad, and yes, it is already done and history will judge them for it. What matters today is that Obama said it wouldn't happen during his watch and it did. It also matters that his administration, once it was brought to light, took steps to clean it up, and admitted it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Quit worrying about people giving Bush a pass. Last I saw, his poll numbers weren't so hot and he wasn't President anymore. You should worry more about people giving Obama a pass. He's the one in office. Do you care more about who your ex-wife is having sex with or who your current wife is having sex with?

Excellent post. Do we have your permission to copy and paste this anytime someone brings up the tired old "but he did it first argument"?

Th0r S1mpson 02-02-10 12:41 PM

Two completely opposite ways of saying the exact same thing?

arminius 02-02-10 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson (Post 9977021)
Two completely opposite ways of saying the exact same thing?

Like communism and facism.

Hokeyboy 02-02-10 12:57 PM

"The Nazis were liberals!!"

wendersfan 02-02-10 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9977059)
"The Nazis were liberals!!"

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/members/wen...681-ingsoc.jpg

Groucho 02-02-10 01:45 PM

I can't believe this post got serious replies. You guys are slipping!