Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Sarah Palin for President of the U.S. in the general election?
No
68
67.33%
Yes
26
25.74%
Maybe
7
6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Old 02-10-10, 01:37 PM
  #726  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
You're assuming that we are going to able to import all the oil we need to sustain our economy.

Today we import about 70% of our needs. 'Experts' tell us we'll be importing 80-85% of our needs in 10years.

What would happen if a couple of our major suppliers decided not to sell their oil to the U.S.?

It's happened before - then we were only importing about 27% of our needs. I remember the chaos that occurred in the '70s when that happened. I don't believe we want to see that (many times more severe) than what occurred then in our future.

It's imperative, IMO, that we reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
Or reduce our dependence on oil period, but to you thats pie-in-the-sky hidden environmentalism.

Thats the COMPREHENSIVE part of an energy plan

Unless you actually, truely believe that in the year 2010 we should be powering our society by digging ancient biomass out of the ground and lighting it on fire.
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 01:43 PM
  #727  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

How do you suggest we reduce our dependence on foreign oil since the vast vast majority of the oil is used in transportation?
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 01:46 PM
  #728  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,921
Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Is it really that people are latching onto the handwriting thing or is it that people are responding to those who defend the handwriting thing?

There has been a few waves of "pro derangement syndrome" over the last few years. Both for Obama and for Palin. I see a lot of similarities between those who succumb to one or the other.
Sometimes I like to think of this entire forum as one giant, natural experiment in confirmation bias.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 01:53 PM
  #729  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Sometimes I like to think of this entire forum as one giant, natural experiment in confirmation bias.
Well, I voted for McCain and I like Palin (mostly because she annoys libs so much) - but i have to agree that she looked like a tard when she was reading her hand. The fact that is was lame talking points made it even worse.
cpgator is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 01:57 PM
  #730  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Well, I voted for McCain and I like Palin (mostly because she annoys libs so much) - but i have to agree that she looked like a tard when she was reading her hand. The fact that is was lame talking points made it even worse.
You believe talking about energy is a lame talking point?
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 01:58 PM
  #731  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 12,270
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
Or reduce our dependence on oil period, but to you thats pie-in-the-sky hidden environmentalism.
That's a bunch of snake oil science!
dork is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 01:59 PM
  #732  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,946
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Well, I voted for McCain and I like Palin (mostly because she annoys libs so much) - but i have to agree that she looked like a tard when she was reading her hand. The fact that is was lame talking points made it even worse.
You know that's the only thing I like about Palin too... she truly makes the lightweight ideologues furious.

She's an idiot though. If someone can't glance at her performance the other night and see how ridiculous it was, even ignoring what an idiot she has already been on so many occasions, they are blind.
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:07 PM
  #733  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,921
Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
You know that's the only thing I like about Palin too... she truly makes the lightweight ideologues furious.

She's an idiot though. If someone can't glance at her performance the other night and see how ridiculous it was, even ignoring what an idiot she has already been on so many occasions, they are blind.
Sometimes I'll see a clip of Palin speaking and wonder if there's something I'm missing. It's hard to believe anyone can take her seriously, but clearly some people do.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:12 PM
  #734  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
You believe talking about energy is a lame talking point?
Ok - it is an important talking point.
cpgator is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:21 PM
  #735  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 925
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Sometimes I'll see a clip of Palin speaking and wonder if there's something I'm missing. It's hard to believe anyone can take her seriously, but clearly some people do.
And THAT, my friends, is the scariest thing about Palin.
Lemmy is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:22 PM
  #736  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,921
Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
You believe talking about energy is a lame talking point?
It is when the sum total of your "talking about energy" is nothing but a few cliches.

Talking about energy is important. Reducing our dependence on imported fossil fuels is important. But the goal should be in reducing our use of fossil fuels, period. The only way for the U.S. to remain a global power is to transition to a different energy source before it's too late. This isn't environmentalism, it's the market.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:26 PM
  #737  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,921
Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
And THAT, my friends, is the scariest thing about Palin.
I disagree. It's not really all that scary, since her appeal isn't a secret, and neither is in what shape that appeal exists. We know with whom her base of support lies, and more importantly, where it doesn't. It's like American Idol. It's hard for me to believe that sentient, literate, adult people could possibly watch that show, but I know for a fact they do. Therefore, my assumptions about human behavior are wrong and have to be adjusted.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:34 PM
  #738  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I disagree. It's not really all that scary, since her appeal isn't a secret, and neither is in what shape that appeal exists. We know with whom her base of support lies, and more importantly, where it doesn't. It's like American Idol. It's hard for me to believe that sentient, literate, adult people could possibly watch that show, but I know for a fact they do. Therefore, my assumptions about human behavior are wrong and have to be adjusted.
No love for AI? You must be dead inside.
cpgator is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:42 PM
  #739  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 42,294
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

wendersfan has his pants on the ground.
JasonF is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:42 PM
  #740  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
It is when the sum total of your "talking about energy" is nothing but a few cliches.

Talking about energy is important. Reducing our dependence on imported fossil fuels is important. But the goal should be in reducing our use of fossil fuels, period. The only way for the U.S. to remain a global power is to transition to a different energy source before it's too late. This isn't environmentalism, it's the market.
I've said over & over that I'm all for alternative energy sources. I want 'em all: wind, solar, water, nuclear, etc.

The problem, once again, is our importation of 70% of our oil needs.

Unfortunately wind, solar, water, nuclear, etc. don't reduce that but very little.

As far as the exotics - it's going to take 10-15 years before they have any real impact on reducing our importation of foreign oil.

That's not cliche. That's fact - whether you accept it or not.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 02:59 PM
  #741  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I've said over & over that I'm all for alternative energy sources. I want 'em all: wind, solar, water, nuclear, etc.

The problem, once again, is our importation of 70% of our oil needs.

Unfortunately wind, solar, water, nuclear, etc. don't reduce that but very little.

As far as the exotics - it's going to take 10-15 years before they have any real impact on reducing our importation of foreign oil.

That's not cliche. That's fact - whether you accept it or not.
I agree with you, and also agree that an intelligent energy plan is extremely important.

So why did she have to write "Energy" on her hand? I could see if maybe she wrote down a couple numbers or percentages or something so she didn't put out incorrect info... but Energy? WTH?
cpgator is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:01 PM
  #742  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Another solution is greatly expanding and rebuilding a nation-wide railroad system.

We're not going to do that because it would cost billions & billions of dollars - maybe even trillions.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:14 PM
  #743  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

How can one argue that "Drill baby drill" is a comprehensive energy policy?
Groucho is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:17 PM
  #744  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How can one argue that "Drill baby drill" is a comprehensive energy policy?
How can one argue that the Obama energy plan is a comprehensive energy policy?
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:22 PM
  #745  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

I think we need a constitutional amendment requiring the president to be not only from an energy producing but a energy exporting state.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:24 PM
  #746  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 18,146
Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Who is?
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:48 PM
  #747  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Who is what?
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:53 PM
  #748  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,438
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Holy carp.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:57 PM
  #749  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Why do some of our members keep reminding us that Palin is physically attractive, instantiating that that's somehow qualification for office?
Groucho is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 03:59 PM
  #750  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,966
Received 300 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Who is what?
What is who?
slop101 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.