Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Did Rush Limbaugh just blame Obama for his failure to buy the Rams?

Old 10-16-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Did Rush Limbaugh just blame Obama for his failure to buy the Rams?

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Exactly what has America become since Obama became president?

Bitter and clingy?
Old 10-16-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
"the liberals"

Isn't it just possible somone other than a liberal could find this asinine? I'm the OP and not a liberal. Or better stated, I'm economically conservative, socially liberal.

I just thought the notion that it's Obama's fault to be absurd and worth a post. And I don't despise Rush because he's a conservative. I despise him because he's caustic, abrasive, and purposfully devisive.

But hey, go on stereotyping to your heart's content.
It is all about the entertainment factor. He just says that shit to gin up the people on the right that just love to tune in every day for another reason to hate Obama. This is why I dont listen. He and Hannity are the same, they blow shit out of proportion. The problem with that from my point of view is people stay so pissed about everything, they dont know the difference when something happens that should really piss them off. Like this health care proposal for one.

The left has their cronies to, they just arent on talk radio.
Old 10-16-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
"the liberals"

Isn't it just possible somone other than a liberal could find this asinine? I'm the OP and not a liberal. Or better stated, I'm economically conservative, socially liberal.

I just thought the notion that it's Obama's fault to be absurd and worth a post. And I don't despise Rush because he's a conservative. I despise him because he's caustic, abrasive, and purposfully devisive.

But hey, go on stereotyping to your heart's content.
Hippies smell bad.
Old 10-16-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I didn't see how Rush blamed Obama. He said “Obama's America”. Meaning the way America has become since Obama has become president. There is a big difference which I would think the OP should have been able to see, but far be it from me to stop anyone from creating a sensational yet inaccurate thread title.

I'm not saying I agree with Rush but I can see his point of view.
Exactly. I don't even listen to Rush, but the liberals seem to love to take things he says, then try to sqeeze them hard to mean something they don't. Or at least something that it takes a major liberal leap to mean what they want it to.

I still don't mind if the NFL keeps him from being an owner. They would probably keep Mark Cuban from being an owner as well. And with whatever the other owners are like, they aren't as public as Rush is, and they can keep anyone out that they want. I have no problem with that.

But again, I do love the liberals trying to see how they can twist his words to fit their needs.

ZOMG! Rush said that he believes the Philly press wants a black quarterback to do well. That means he hates black people. The connection is unmistakable. Okay, liberals, that's what it means. And wanting Obama to fail means that Rush hates America and wants America to fail, and certainly doesn't mean that he believes Obama's legilative success is bad for America. Okay, liberals, you have it right.

Dirty hippies.
Old 10-16-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Racist?
It's true. They're already bringing back the ban on interracial marriage.
Old 10-16-09, 10:24 PM
Banned

Open-minded, compassionate, and full of hope?
Old 10-16-09, 11:49 PM

Meaning the way America has become since Obama has become president.
The notion being that if GW Bush was still president, the NFL would have welcomed Rush with open arms?

Please tell me you're not drinking that kool-aid.
Old 10-16-09, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
But again, I do love the liberals trying to see how they can twist his words to fit their needs.
Wow. W-O-W.
Old 10-17-09, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
What America are you living in. There are no open minds in Washington. As for compassion, well the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Old 10-17-09, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't see how Rush blamed Obama. He said “Obama's America”. Meaning the way America has become since Obama has become president. There is a big difference which I would think the OP should have been able to see, but far be it from me to stop anyone from creating a sensational yet inaccurate thread title.
"Obama's America" is just a political, not so clever way, of not implicating someone directly. Not that care but I think that arguing that "well it's not the same" deserves a contorsionist of the week award.
Old 10-17-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was sooo 2008.
Old 10-17-09, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

He was referring to the way racism is thrown around so loosely - and even untruly to pressure people to behave a certain way. It's the way the country is right now.

Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh

The Race Card, Football and Me

David Checketts, an investor and owner of sports teams, approached me in late May about investing in the St. Louis Rams football franchise. As a football fan, I was intrigued. I invited him to my home where we discussed it further. Even after informing him that some people might try to make an issue of my participation, Mr. Checketts said he didn't much care. I accepted his offer.

It didn't take long before my name was selectively leaked to the media as part of the Checketts investment group. Shortly thereafter, the media elicited comments from the likes of Al Sharpton. In 1998 Mr. Sharpton was found guilty of defamation and ordered to pay $65,000 for falsely accusing a New York prosecutor of rape in the 1987 Tawana Brawley case. He also played a leading role in the 1991 Crown Heights riot (he called neighborhood Jews "diamond merchants") and 1995 Freddie's Fashion Mart riot.

Not to be outdone, Jesse Jackson, whose history includes anti-Semitic speech (in 1984 he referred to Jews as "Hymies" and to New York City as "Hymietown" in a Washington Post interview) chimed in. He found me unfit to be associated with the NFL. I was too divisive and worse. I was accused of once supporting slavery and having praised Martin Luther King Jr.'s murderer, James Earl Ray.

Next came writers in the sports world, like the Washington Post's Michael Wilbon. He wrote this gem earlier this week: "I'm not going to try and give specific examples of things Limbaugh has said over the years because I screwed up already doing that, repeating a quote attributed to Limbaugh (about slavery) which he has told me he simply did not say and does not reflect his feelings. I take him at his word. . . . "

Mr. Wilbon wasn't alone. Numerous sportswriters, CNN, MSNBC, among others, falsely attributed to me statements I had never made. Their sources, as best I can tell, were Wikipedia and each other. But the Wikipedia post was based on a fabrication printed in a book that also lacked any citation to an actual source.

I never said I supported slavery and I never praised James Earl Ray. How sick would that be? Just as sick as those who would use such outrageous slanders against me or anyone else who never even thought such things. Mr. Wilbon refuses to take responsibility for his poison pen, writing instead that he will take my word that I did not make these statements; others, like Rick Sanchez of CNN, essentially used the same sleight-of-hand.

The sports media elicited comments from a handful of players, none of whom I can recall ever meeting. Among other things, at least one said he would never play for a team I was involved in given my racial views. My racial views? You mean, my belief in a colorblind society where every individual is treated as a precious human being without regard to his race? Where football players should earn as much as they can and keep as much as they can, regardless of race? Those controversial racial views?

The NFL players union boss, DeMaurice Smith, jumped in. A Washington criminal defense lawyer, Democratic Party supporter and Barack Obama donor, he sent a much publicized email to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell saying that it was important for the league to reject discrimination and hatred.

When Mr. Goodell was asked about me, he suggested that my 2003 comment criticizing the media's coverage of Donovan McNabb—in which I said the media was cheerleading Mr. McNabb because they wanted a successful black quarterback—fell short of the NFL's "high standard." High standard? Half a decade later, the media would behave the same way about the presidential candidacy of Mr. Obama.

Having brought me into his group, Mr. Checketts now wanted a way out. He asked me to resign. I told him no way. I had done nothing wrong. I had not uttered the words these people were putting in my mouth. And I would not bow to their libels and pressure. He would have to drop me from the group. A few days later, he did.

As I explained on my radio show, this spectacle is bigger than I am on several levels. There is a contempt in the news business, including the sportswriter community, for conservatives that reflects the blind hatred espoused by Messrs. Sharpton and Jackson. "Racism" is too often their sledgehammer. And it is being used to try to keep citizens who don't share the left's agenda from participating in the full array of opportunities this nation otherwise affords each of us. It was on display many years ago in an effort to smear Clarence Thomas with racist stereotypes and keep him off the Supreme Court. More recently, it was employed against patriotic citizens who attended town-hall meetings and tea-party protests.

These intimidation tactics are working and spreading, and they are a cancer on our society.
I don't listen to Limbaugh since he is on well after I arrive at work but I frequently do agree with him - as I do here.
Old 10-17-09, 02:11 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Old 10-17-09, 02:16 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Most people who are adamant in "not-listening" to Limbaugh have never actually listened to him. I was one of those several months ago. He's entertaining as hell, and some of his arguments are unanswerable. Hence the demonization. Others of his arguments are paranoid and retarded, but some of us are smart enough to separate the cheese from the rind without throwing out the whole wheel.
Old 10-17-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty much the same as when Bush was president. Ask Don Imus.
Old 10-17-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
Most people who are adamant in "not-listening" to Limbaugh have never actually listened to him. I was one of those several months ago. He's entertaining as hell, and some of his arguments are unanswerable. Hence the demonization. Others of his arguments are paranoid and retarded, but some of us are smart enough to separate the cheese from the rind without throwing out the whole wheel.
Horseshit.

I used to listen to the guy all the time back in the 90's. It was either this or the noontime oldies that every other station played. Did I agree with him? For the most part, no, but he was able to present his arguments in an interesting manner and occasionally made good points. Sometimes he was downright entertaining. It may not have changed your mind, but it gave you something to think about.

I've caught him from time to time in the last few years, and he's really gone over the edge. arrogant, spiteful, and downright mean. The worst thing, though, is he's become a cult of personality. Every time I catch him, he's playing some clip of a commentator, celebrity, politician, or whatever dropping his name. It's no longer about arguing about politics, it's about the dissemination of his version of the truth. He doesn't want you to think about what he says, he wants you to accept it as fact without argument.

The idea that everyone will agree with this guy if they just listen to him is ludicrous. Especially now.
Old 10-17-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The idea that everyone will agree with this guy if they just listen to him is ludicrous. Especially now.
This is exactly what I think about Obama.

I used to listen to Rush now and then a long long time ago and he was much more reserved and "PC" than he is today. He held back a lot then. Today he's much more open and not afraid to say what he's thinking. To me he makes far more sense than the current administration and the collective members of congress.

All this can't really be a surprise to him though. He had 8 years of the gov't getting off his back while Bush was in office and he knew he would be target of this new administration one way or another. I'm sure eventually they will consider anything anti-Obama racist hate speech and ban it from the air. I'm just counting the days.
Old 10-17-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Horseshit.

I used to listen to the guy all the time back in the 90's. It was either this or the noontime oldies that every other station played. Did I agree with him? For the most part, no, but he was able to present his arguments in an interesting manner and occasionally made good points. Sometimes he was downright entertaining. It may not have changed your mind, but it gave you something to think about.

I've caught him from time to time in the last few years, and he's really gone over the edge. arrogant, spiteful, and downright mean. The worst thing, though, is he's become a cult of personality. Every time I catch him, he's playing some clip of a commentator, celebrity, politician, or whatever dropping his name. It's no longer about arguing about politics, it's about the dissemination of his version of the truth. He doesn't want you to think about what he says, he wants you to accept it as fact without argument.

Good observations. Back-in-the-day, Limbaugh had well thought out opinions (IMO anyways) that reasonable people could disagree with but see the rationale behind the opinions. Humor was light, sparse. The elementary school-type poking fun of someone's physical abilities/limitations virtually non-existent.

But with each passing year he felt the need to top himself... resulting in a self-parodying, mean-spirited buffoon.
Old 10-17-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
He was referring to the way racism is thrown around so loosely - and even untruly to pressure people to behave a certain way. It's the way the country is right now.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...e-race-baiter/

In fact, based entirely on statements made by Mr. Limbaugh in 2009, one begins to wonder whether he's been a bigger racial demagogue than even Al Sharpton during that period.

At the very least, he's been bandying about the ‘r’ word rather frequently.

Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates? "He's a racist," Mr. Limbaugh said. "He's an angry racist."

Sonja Sotomayor? "She's a bigot. She's a racist," Mr. Limbaugh said. "How can a president nominate such a candidate? And how can a party get behind such a candidate? That's what would be asked if somebody were foolish enough to nominate David Duke or pick somebody even less offensive."
President Obama? He's "the biggest reverse racist in history." On another occasion: "Just as he is ACORN, just as he is Van Jones, he is racism."On a third: "How do you get promoted in a Barack Obama administration? By hating white people." So implicitly Mr. Limbaugh is labeling multiple figures within the administration as racists too.

Democrats generally? "The racism that everybody thinks exists on our side of the aisle has been on full display throughout their primary campaign."

Liberals? "You know, racism in this country is the exclusive province of the left."
I don't listen to Rush either, because he's a shameless fuck.
Old 10-17-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good observations. Back-in-the-day, Limbaugh had well thought out opinions (IMO anyways) that reasonable people could disagree with but see the rationale behind the opinions. Humor was light, sparse. The elementary school-type poking fun of someone's physical abilities/limitations virtually non-existent.

But with each passing year he felt the need to top himself... resulting in a self-parodying, mean-spirited buffoon.
Let's not make him seem like he used to be some sort of paragon of rational debate. He coined "feminazi" for pro-choice organizations in the early 90s.
Old 10-17-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
He was referring to the way racism is thrown around so loosely - and even untruly to pressure people to behave a certain way.
Well, if anyone would know about the term racism being thrown around loosely, it's Rush Limbaugh.

Rush the Race-Baiter
by Conor Friedersdorf

Limbaugh's fans say unfair charges of racism blocked his bid to become an NFL owner. Could be—but why don't they care when he's the one doing the race-baiting?

Rush Limbaugh maintains that his efforts to buy an NFL football team failed due to the pernicious influence of race-baiters. They are said to include professional demagogue Al Sharpton, the NFL players union, and a left-leaning blogger who falsely attributed a racist comment to the talk radio host, leading to its broadcast on CNN. "I have something in common with Clarence Thomas," Mr. Limbaugh claimed Thursday on his radio program. “I, too, have had my high-tech lynching.”

Mr. Limbaugh’s situation is unworthy of comparison to the ordeal Justice Thomas endured, but he is owed some sympathy. Even a thick-skinned celebrity must recoil when a national television network erroneously attributes a racist remark to their person. What isn't accurate are the broader defenses being offered by Mr. Limbaugh's fans. "It's no coincidence that Democratic Party outlets like CNN had to dredge up fake quotes to make their case," attorney John Hinderaker wrote on the popular conservative blog Power Line. "Nothing Rush actually said would do the trick, even though he's been on the radio three hours a day, five days a week, for more than twenty years."

National Review's Andy McCarthy went farther. "So Much for the Post-Racial America," he wrote. "That's how Rush treats people — in the Martin Luther King aspiration that the content of one's character is what matters, not the color of one's skin. Yet, in the media narrative, he's somehow the one who's got a race issue — and the guys who trade on race, live and breathe it 24/7, are held up as our public conscience."

The error here isn't criticizing "guys who trade on race."

I share a powerful distaste for characters like Al Sharpton, who deliberately play on the racial anxieties of Americans. As one of the most powerful slurs in American life, "racist" is an accusation that ought to be made rarely, after careful deliberation, with incontrovertible evidence, and never merely to score points at the expense of a political adversary. So I join Mr. Hinderaker and Mr. McCarthy in asserting that Mr. Limbaugh has never been proved a racist, and that race-baiting is an awful feature of American public discourse. It damages reputations and undermines our ability to target actual racism. Those who engage in it deserve our ire.

But even a cursory review of Limbaugh’s radio archives reveal the talk radio host to be a frequent race-baiter, one of the guys who obsessively trades on race.

In fact, based entirely on statements made by Mr. Limbaugh in 2009, one begins to wonder whether he's been a bigger racial demagogue than even Al Sharpton during that period.

At the very least, he's been bandying about the ‘r’ word rather frequently.

Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates? "He's a racist," Mr. Limbaugh said. "He's an angry racist."

Sonja Sotomayor? "She's a bigot. She's a racist," Mr. Limbaugh said. "How can a president nominate such a candidate? And how can a party get behind such a candidate? That's what would be asked if somebody were foolish enough to nominate David Duke or pick somebody even less offensive."

President Obama? He's "the biggest reverse racist in history." On another occasion: "Just as he is ACORN, just as he is Van Jones, he is racism."On a third: "How do you get promoted in a Barack Obama administration? By hating white people." So implicitly Mr. Limbaugh is labeling multiple figures within the administration as racists too.

Democrats generally? "The racism that everybody thinks exists on our side of the aisle has been on full display throughout their primary campaign."

Liberals? "You know, racism in this country is the exclusive province of the left."

The media circa January? "We're witnessing racism all this week that led up to the inauguration. We're being told that we have to hope he succeeds. That we have to bend over, grab the ankles, bend over forward, backward, whichever, because his father's black, because this is the first black president."

Minorities generally? "The days of them not having any power are over, and they are angry. And they want to use their power as a means of retribution. That's what Obama's about, gang. He's angry, he's gonna cut this country down to size, he's gonna make it pay for all the multicultural mistakes that it has made, it's mistreatment of minorities. I know exactly what's going on."

Oh, and don't forget the NFL. As of this week, it is "an outpost of racism and liberalism." (Strange that a league that is supposedly racist against white owner candidates has so many white owners.)

Remember, the foregoing examples are exclusively taken from radio commentary spoken in 2009.

Is there anyone in America who's accused more people of racism this year than Rush Limbaugh?

Of course, every race baiter must also cast someone as the aggrieved victim. There's the GOP: "They're moving to the back of the bus," Mr. Limbaugh said. "They're saying, 'I can't use that drinking fountain? Okay. I can't use that restroom? Okay.' That's the modern day Republican Party. The equivalent of the Old South. The new oppressed minority."

White people are victims, too. "Obama’s America, white kids getting beat up on school buses now. You put your kids on a school bus, you expect safety but in Obama’s America the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering, 'Yay, right on, right on, right on, right on,' and, of course, everybody says the white kid deserved it, he was born a racist, he’s white."

As for matters that only Mr. Limbaugh chooses to make about race, I'll cite only the most egregious: "You let George Bush's Navy gun down three black teenagers out there on the open sea and I guarantee there would be hell to pay..." he said. "If only President Obama had known that the three Somali community organizers were actually young black Muslim teenagers I'm sure he wouldn't have given the order to shoot." Of course, George W. Bush's Navy did shoot at non-white pirates without being accused of racism, and President Obama surely new the pirates of Somalia's coast were minorities, but never mind.

If you're sympathetic to Mr. Limbaugh, but don't often listen to his program, perhaps you're surprised by how often he invokes race, racism, and racial victim-hood. Suffice it to say that knowing his program, it is utterly contradictory to complain about race-baiting and to hold Mr. Limbaugh up as a thought leader.

It is also understandable that a professional sports league wouldn't want to associate itself with someone who so frequently plays the race card. That doesn't mean Mr. Limbaugh is a racist. I take him at his word that he isn't. He is merely a racial provocateur whose ire at being called a racist doesn't prevent him from affixing the label to others with stunning frequency.

Why doesn't that bother his listeners?

Conor Friedersdorf, a Daily Beast columnist, also writes for The American Scene and The Atlantic Online's ideas blog.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...he-race-baiter

Edit: Oops -- I see Nausicaa posted a link to the same article. I'm going to leave mine up, since Nausicaa only posted an excerpt.

Last edited by JasonF; 10-17-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-17-09, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Let's not make him seem like he used to be some sort of paragon of rational debate. He coined "feminazi" for pro-choice organizations in the early 90s.
That actually was pointed toward NOW. And a fairly accurate description of that group based on what I have seen from them.
Old 10-17-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
That actually was pointed toward NOW. And a fairly accurate description of that group based on what I have seen from them.
And "wacko environmentalist" is accurate and timeless.
Old 10-17-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Well, if anyone would know about the term racism being thrown around loosely, it's Rush Limbaugh.
[/i]

So do I. It (for me) is an attempt to show most liberals how asinine they sound by calling everything racist. I am willing to bet it is the same for Limbaugh as a "dose of their own medicine."

I have called everything racist lately, because the Democrats and talking heads have. It should appear absurd to most. As it should when the Democrats and talking heads have. Most Democrats don't see it that way, though, because racism is a tool they use to advance their beliefs. And talking to Sharpton and Jessie Jackson about racial issues probably makes sense to Democrats. I find it as stupid as asking David Duke.
Old 10-17-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Racist.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.