Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Republicans don't want Obama talking to children?

Old 09-30-09, 09:38 AM

Re: Republicans don't want Obama talking to children?

And you know this how? I would've liked Obama if I was a kid.
Old 09-30-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Kids like Obama! Run for the hills!
Does anyone have a problem with kids liking Obama? That isn't what the discussion is about. But nice strawman
Old 09-30-09, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Does anyone have a problem with kids liking Obama? That isn't what the discussion is about. But nice strawman
I'm trying to see where policy is concerned. I don't see any, so it just seems logical that people are bitching about it just to bitch.
Old 09-30-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
I'm trying to see where policy is concerned. I don't see any, so it just seems logical that people are bitching about it just to bitch.
The school songs don't have to do with Obama policy. They have to do with school policy or curriculum (whatever you want to call it).
Old 09-30-09, 10:11 AM

The school songs don't have to do with Obama policy. They have to do with school policy or curriculum (whatever you want to call it).
And what is the school policy for singing about people?
Old 09-30-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably depends on the school.

I think most reasonable people can see where some of these videos could cause parents to worry. Even partisan folks can imagine how they'd respond if the songs were about someone from the other party. Worst case, imagine they sang "Jesus loves the little children" instead of the Obama version and think how you'd respond
Old 09-30-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

I saw one of the videos of the singing I had no problem with.

I saw another one which I would have complained to the school administration if I had a child in that school.
Old 09-30-09, 10:20 AM

Probably depends on the school.

I think most reasonable people can see where some of these videos could cause parents to worry. Even partisan folks can imagine how they'd respond if the songs were about someone from the other party. Worst case, imagine they sang "Jesus loves the little children" instead of the Obama version and think how you'd respond
Let's be honest, most parents worry about unimportant stuff.

If we're going with hypothetical, there isn't much to talk about here.
Old 09-30-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem I have with the way critics ar eusing the videos is that some are using this as evidence that President Obama is trying to become a cult-of-personality dictator. Leaving aside the hyperbole, as you point out, President Obama had nothing to do with this and likely didn't know about it until roughly the same time the rest of us found out about it.
Old 09-30-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The problem I have with the way critics ar eusing the videos is that some are using this as evidence that President Obama is trying to become a cult-of-personality dictator. Leaving aside the hyperbole, as you point out, President Obama had nothing to do with this and likely didn't know about it until roughly the same time the rest of us found out about it.
fanboys will blame everything on Obama. That shouldn't stop you from looking at it objectively.
Old 09-30-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

fanboys will blame everything on Obama. That shouldn't stop you from looking at it objectively.
If you look at it objectively, it's one screwball teacher in New Jersey who took a good thing ("Hooray! We live in a country where a black man can be elected president! Horray that we have a great country and a great president!") and took it too far ("All hail Obama!!!"). But it's hard to get everyone worked up over one teacher with bad judgment, so the screaming pundits have to make it into something bigger than it is.
Old 10-12-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This seems like the most appropriate thread for this. I just saw one of these ads on the Fox Movie Channel:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZFfiXHcUdYQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZFfiXHcUdYQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

City Year is apparently some Americorp program and not a viral ad for the new V. Just for comparison, here's an older ad for the same program:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Poa62_nuRw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Poa62_nuRw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-14-09, 10:35 AM

First, these are High School kids. And while they're still impressionable, they're probably mature enough to make up their own minds. And second, these are optional extracurricular activities. So I doubt any students feel pressured to join in.

But it's another example of the creepy Obama indoctrination "cult of personality" thing going on in some public schools. I don't remember a Ronald Reagan Art Club or Reagan Cooking Club when I went to High School.

"Mr. Obama, Can We Come and Visit You?"
Local high school kids on mission to get White House invite

Mia Henry wants to teach Barack Obama how to use iPhoto. She wants to show the president how to take pictures and create podcasts, just like she does as a member of the Barack Obama Digital Media Team, a group of students from Crenshaw High School who are determined to get invited to the White House.

"I'd also tell him of my dreams to go to college, so I can work with autistic children as a child psychologist," Henry said.

Using Barack Obama as inspiration, teacher Daphne Bradford has created projects Crenshaw and Dorsey high schools -- schools in poverty-ridden sections of Los Angeles -- to engage students to learn technological and cooking skills.

At Crenshaw High, students on the Barack Obama Digital Media Team use technology to create digital art inspired by the president. They call it their Journey to the White House campaign. Members of the team have received digital media certification in Apple's iLife software suite.

Students recorded video letters to the President aboard the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus, a one-of-a-kind non-profit multimedia studio where the Black Eyed Peas, Natasha Bedingfield and other recording artists have laid tracks. The team wrote and produced a Journey to the White House theme song.

At Doresy High, Bradford worked with the school's culinary arts department to create the Dorsey High School Obama Chefs.

First, students prepared nutritious lunches for Obama volunteers during the stretch run of the presidential campaign last year -- Bradford was a South Los Angeles campaign manager for the Obama campaign.
Now, the program has led to a web-based television show, Cooking Live with Dorsey High.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...-64185587.html
Old 10-14-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
First, these are High School kids. And while they're still impressionable, they're probably mature enough to make up their own minds. And second, these are optional extracurricular activities. So I doubt any students feel pressured to join in.

But it's another example of the creepy Obama indoctrination "cult of personality" thing going on in some public schools. I don't remember a Ronald Reagan Art Club or Reagan Cooking Club when I went to High School.
You don't remember those things because they probably didn't happen in your school, but they did exist. There was a time when the president was someone to look up to, to admire, to aspire to be. I remember back in the 60's a few friends whose parents had a framed picture of JFK in their home as if he was a family member. Others similarly had a picture of Eisenhower.

That pretty much ended with Nixon. But there is still that cyclic desire to have a president people could look up to. Reagan was one. It's that time again and now it is Obama.

I don't have a problem with that except for the fact that those who are embracing Obama as their dear leader are the ones who derided those who felt the same way about Reagan... their hypocrisy is lost on them. (Their "but Obama is different" claim notwithstanding).
Old 10-14-09, 11:22 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
That pretty much ended with Nixon.
I'd say Johnson.
Old 10-14-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
I'd say Johnson.
I wouldn't argue with that.
Old 11-04-09, 11:02 AM

Big Hollywood just dug up 11 more videos of young schoolchildren celebrating the glory of Obama:

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jj...ises-to-obama/
Old 11-04-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You want to see some really scary indoctrination?

Spoiler:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EaFY7hVxjek&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EaFY7hVxjek&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 11-04-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

What I don't like about the Barack Obama Digital Media Team is that in our inner city schools teaching a kid to use iPhoto passes for educational instruction these days. You should be able to teach yourself iPhoto in a few hours; it's fucking intuitive! Next step, "I have a bachelors degree in iPod Nano and I'm writing my thesis on the shuffle function."
Old 11-04-09, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
You want to see some really scary indoctrination?

Spoiler:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EaFY7hVxjek&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EaFY7hVxjek&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
That is really creepy.