Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Glenn Beck is an idiot

Old 12-03-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
It is politically incorrect to quote the Bible on commercial TV unless it is to mock a religious worldview.
And yet they air this cartoon every year complete with that passage and everyone loves it and no one complains. 'The Ten Commandments', too.

The Bible was quoted a lot in 'West Wing' by characters that were quite religious. 'The Simpsons' has quoted it sans mocking and has had a lot of thoughtful religious & faith themes running through it over the years. 'Picket Fences' had many episodes discussing religion that included bible verses. That TLC show with the Baptist family of 18 kids is popular. You got your 'Highway to Heaven', 'Touched by An Angel', and '7th Heaven' seemed to have been on for an eternity. Not to mention 'The Flying Nun'
Old 12-03-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
And yet they air this cartoon every year complete with that passage and everyone loves it and no one complains. 'The Ten Commandments', too.
True, they do air those every year. It doesn't make it any less politically incorrect to do it.

The Bible was quoted a lot in 'West Wing' by characters that were quite religious. 'The Simpsons' has quoted it sans mocking and has had a lot of thoughtful religious & faith themes running through it over the years.
The Simpsons is hardly a non-mocking example to use.

'Picket Fences' had many episodes discussing religion that included bible verses. That TLC show with the Baptist family of 18 kids is popular. You got your 'Highway to Heaven', 'Touched by An Angel', and '7th Heaven' seemed to have been on for an eternity. Not to mention 'The Flying Nun'
Shows that air in reruns on cable tv is different than airing them on commercial tv. You forgot Little House on the Prairie.

I'm not one of those Christians who are offended by shows that mock Christian beliefs and values. But I can see that it is more acceptable to mock Christianity than other religious worldviews.
Old 12-04-09, 07:35 AM

But I can see that it is more acceptable to mock Christianity than other religious worldviews.
It's simply easier, since most Americans, even those who aren't Christian, know something about Christianity and its worldview. A TV show that had jokes mocking Shintoism would be nonsensical to almost everyone watching it.
Old 12-04-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk God

I just heard Pat Buchanan on MSNBC say that the new political force emerging in the country is a combination of populist-conservative.

Do you believe that Beck & Palin fall into that category?
Old 12-04-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
A TV show that had jokes mocking Shintoism would be nonsensical to almost everyone watching it.
I'd watch it though.
Old 12-04-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I just heard Pat Buchanan on MSNBC say that the new political force emerging in the country is a combination of populist-conservative.

Do you believe that Beck & Palin fall into that category?
Palin is. I believe Beck's TV persona is as well.
Old 12-04-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Throw in Lou Dobbs to that mixture.
Old 12-04-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Simpsons is hardly a non-mocking example to use.
I hate when people say the Simpsons mocks Christianity or isn't a good example of being positive about religion. I have to bring up Flanders every time. Flanders may be shown as nerdy or as an overly protective and uptight father, but who is a better person on that show than him? He has been shown as nothing but the kindest, most loving, and most forgiving person on that show. You cannot say that the character does not show a positive view of Christianity. Yes, he has some characteristics we may laugh at, but he is basically always shown as an all around good person. Yes, Christianity is poked fun at, but can you say it is in a mean-spirited way? I don't think so. The jokes about football on Sundays clashing with church are hardly mean-spirited.
Old 12-04-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I hate when people say the Simpsons mocks Christianity or isn't a good example of being positive about religion. I have to bring up Flanders every time. Flanders may be shown as nerdy or as an overly protective and uptight father, but who is a better person on that show than him? He has been shown as nothing but the kindest, most loving, and most forgiving person on that show. You cannot say that the character does not show a positive view of Christianity. Yes, he has some characteristics we may laugh at, but he is basically always shown as an all around good person.
Except when he nearly had an affair with Marge in a recent episode.

To be fair, though, I thought that episode was completely out of character for him so your point still stands.
Old 12-04-09, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
A TV show that had jokes mocking Shintoism would be nonsensical to almost everyone watching it.
I believe I've only heard one joke about Shintoism, and that was in a Monty Python skit:

"We don't have Shintoists shouting in the shithouse!"
"Don't practice your alliteration on me!"

(the point of this sketch was to ridicule atheists, by the way)
Old 12-04-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I hate when people say the Simpsons mocks Christianity or isn't a good example of being positive about religion. I have to bring up Flanders every time. Flanders may be shown as nerdy or as an overly protective and uptight father, but who is a better person on that show than him? He has been shown as nothing but the kindest, most loving, and most forgiving person on that show. You cannot say that the character does not show a positive view of Christianity. Yes, he has some characteristics we may laugh at, but he is basically always shown as an all around good person. Yes, Christianity is poked fun at, but can you say it is in a mean-spirited way? I don't think so. The jokes about football on Sundays clashing with church are hardly mean-spirited.
Please. The Flanders character is not presented in a way to be admired, but a stereotype to be mocked. But like I said, I see it for what it is and it doesn't bother me.

I don't ascribe to the "war on Christmas" or that "Christians are persecuted" attitudes that are very common in Christian circles. We (Christians in America) don't have a clue what true persecution is... just like today's teenagers don't know what true sacrifice is... and no, walking an extra block to get to the nearest Starbuck's is NOT sacrifice.

Last edited by sracer; 12-04-09 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 09:13 AM

Please. The Flanders character is not presented in a way to be admired, but a stereotype to be mocked.
I disagree completely. While Flanders is certainly mocked, he is also shown to be a good, decent person, a loving parent, and a generous and forgiving neighbor. This is borne out particularly in the Simpsons movie.
Old 12-04-09, 09:35 AM

Yes, the joke about Flanders is that he's the nicest guy in town -- the guy we'd all LOVE to have living next door -- but Homer can't stand him.
Old 12-04-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If this were a more perfect world we'd all be known as the Flimpsons.
Old 12-04-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
There's nothing new about it.
Old 12-04-09, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dork View Post
There's also nothing new about Pat Buchanan fantasizing about it.
Old 12-04-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good point.
Old 12-04-09, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dork View Post
I think the group has gotten progressive, though. Why, just the other day I was walking by the Republican HQ wearing an Obama t-shirt and a number of gentlemen ran out -- all eager to "teabag" me. Bipartisanship at it's most sexy!
Old 01-25-10, 11:30 PM

Glenn Beck placed 2nd on the Favorite TV Personality poll by Harris Interactive. Here's the Top 10 list:

1. Oprah Winfrey
2. Glenn Beck
3. Jay Leno *
4. Ellen DeGeneres
5. Hugh Laurie
6. Jon Stewart
7. Charlie Sheen
8. Mark Harmon
9. David Letterman
10. Bill O'Reilly

* = Poll was conducted before the NBC mess

Beck ranks #1 amongst:

Matures (64+)
Republicans
Independents
Conservatives
Midwest

http://news.harrisinteractive.com/pr...&Category=1777
Old 01-25-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow the top 3 there would be on my top 10 least favorite. Actually probably 5 of them would be.
Old 01-26-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ouch. I think Obama would have rather made that list that win a silly little Nobel thingamajigger.
Old 01-26-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Cool that Hugh Laurie is that high. I had no idea that Ellen's show was big enough to rank her so high.
Old 01-26-10, 08:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Charlie Sheen at #7? Really?
Old 01-26-10, 09:18 AM

I'm most surprised by Mark Harmon. I thought he peaked with Summer School.
Old 01-26-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Glenn Beck placed 2nd on the Favorite TV Personality poll by Harris Interactive. Here's the Top 10 list:

1. Oprah Winfrey
2. Glenn Beck
3. Jay Leno *
4. Ellen DeGeneres
5. Hugh Laurie
6. Jon Stewart
7. Charlie Sheen
8. Mark Harmon
9. David Letterman
10. Bill O'Reilly
So a Nazi, a show stealer, a lesbian, a wife beater and several adulterers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.