Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Glenn Beck is an idiot

Old 12-03-09, 08:26 PM
  #801  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
CharlieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,250
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
It is politically incorrect to quote the Bible on commercial TV unless it is to mock a religious worldview.
And yet they air this cartoon every year complete with that passage and everyone loves it and no one complains. 'The Ten Commandments', too.

The Bible was quoted a lot in 'West Wing' by characters that were quite religious. 'The Simpsons' has quoted it sans mocking and has had a lot of thoughtful religious & faith themes running through it over the years. 'Picket Fences' had many episodes discussing religion that included bible verses. That TLC show with the Baptist family of 18 kids is popular. You got your 'Highway to Heaven', 'Touched by An Angel', and '7th Heaven' seemed to have been on for an eternity. Not to mention 'The Flying Nun'
CharlieK is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 10:51 PM
  #802  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,944
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
And yet they air this cartoon every year complete with that passage and everyone loves it and no one complains. 'The Ten Commandments', too.
True, they do air those every year. It doesn't make it any less politically incorrect to do it.


Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
The Bible was quoted a lot in 'West Wing' by characters that were quite religious. 'The Simpsons' has quoted it sans mocking and has had a lot of thoughtful religious & faith themes running through it over the years.
The Simpsons is hardly a non-mocking example to use.


Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
'Picket Fences' had many episodes discussing religion that included bible verses. That TLC show with the Baptist family of 18 kids is popular. You got your 'Highway to Heaven', 'Touched by An Angel', and '7th Heaven' seemed to have been on for an eternity. Not to mention 'The Flying Nun'
Shows that air in reruns on cable tv is different than airing them on commercial tv. You forgot Little House on the Prairie.

I'm not one of those Christians who are offended by shows that mock Christian beliefs and values. But I can see that it is more acceptable to mock Christianity than other religious worldviews.
sracer is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 07:35 AM
  #803  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,946
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
But I can see that it is more acceptable to mock Christianity than other religious worldviews.
It's simply easier, since most Americans, even those who aren't Christian, know something about Christianity and its worldview. A TV show that had jokes mocking Shintoism would be nonsensical to almost everyone watching it.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 07:51 AM
  #804  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

I just heard Pat Buchanan on MSNBC say that the new political force emerging in the country is a combination of populist-conservative.

Do you believe that Beck & Palin fall into that category?
classicman2 is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 08:34 AM
  #805  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,869
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
A TV show that had jokes mocking Shintoism would be nonsensical to almost everyone watching it.
I'd watch it though.
The Bus is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 08:34 AM
  #806  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,869
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I just heard Pat Buchanan on MSNBC say that the new political force emerging in the country is a combination of populist-conservative.

Do you believe that Beck & Palin fall into that category?
Palin is. I believe Beck's TV persona is as well.
The Bus is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 08:39 AM
  #807  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Throw in Lou Dobbs to that mixture.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 08:49 AM
  #808  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,937
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
The Simpsons is hardly a non-mocking example to use.
I hate when people say the Simpsons mocks Christianity or isn't a good example of being positive about religion. I have to bring up Flanders every time. Flanders may be shown as nerdy or as an overly protective and uptight father, but who is a better person on that show than him? He has been shown as nothing but the kindest, most loving, and most forgiving person on that show. You cannot say that the character does not show a positive view of Christianity. Yes, he has some characteristics we may laugh at, but he is basically always shown as an all around good person. Yes, Christianity is poked fun at, but can you say it is in a mean-spirited way? I don't think so. The jokes about football on Sundays clashing with church are hardly mean-spirited.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 08:55 AM
  #809  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Lake Ridge, VA
Posts: 6,294
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I hate when people say the Simpsons mocks Christianity or isn't a good example of being positive about religion. I have to bring up Flanders every time. Flanders may be shown as nerdy or as an overly protective and uptight father, but who is a better person on that show than him? He has been shown as nothing but the kindest, most loving, and most forgiving person on that show. You cannot say that the character does not show a positive view of Christianity. Yes, he has some characteristics we may laugh at, but he is basically always shown as an all around good person.
Except when he nearly had an affair with Marge in a recent episode.

To be fair, though, I thought that episode was completely out of character for him so your point still stands.
SunMonkey is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 09:04 AM
  #810  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,842
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
A TV show that had jokes mocking Shintoism would be nonsensical to almost everyone watching it.
I believe I've only heard one joke about Shintoism, and that was in a Monty Python skit:

"We don't have Shintoists shouting in the shithouse!"
"Don't practice your alliteration on me!"

(the point of this sketch was to ridicule atheists, by the way)
Groucho is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 09:06 AM
  #811  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,944
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I hate when people say the Simpsons mocks Christianity or isn't a good example of being positive about religion. I have to bring up Flanders every time. Flanders may be shown as nerdy or as an overly protective and uptight father, but who is a better person on that show than him? He has been shown as nothing but the kindest, most loving, and most forgiving person on that show. You cannot say that the character does not show a positive view of Christianity. Yes, he has some characteristics we may laugh at, but he is basically always shown as an all around good person. Yes, Christianity is poked fun at, but can you say it is in a mean-spirited way? I don't think so. The jokes about football on Sundays clashing with church are hardly mean-spirited.
Please. The Flanders character is not presented in a way to be admired, but a stereotype to be mocked. But like I said, I see it for what it is and it doesn't bother me.

I don't ascribe to the "war on Christmas" or that "Christians are persecuted" attitudes that are very common in Christian circles. We (Christians in America) don't have a clue what true persecution is... just like today's teenagers don't know what true sacrifice is... and no, walking an extra block to get to the nearest Starbuck's is NOT sacrifice.

Last edited by sracer; 12-04-09 at 09:09 AM.
sracer is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 09:13 AM
  #812  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,946
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Please. The Flanders character is not presented in a way to be admired, but a stereotype to be mocked.
I disagree completely. While Flanders is certainly mocked, he is also shown to be a good, decent person, a loving parent, and a generous and forgiving neighbor. This is borne out particularly in the Simpsons movie.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 09:35 AM
  #813  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,842
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Yes, the joke about Flanders is that he's the nicest guy in town -- the guy we'd all LOVE to have living next door -- but Homer can't stand him.
Groucho is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 10:13 AM
  #814  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,935
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

If this were a more perfect world we'd all be known as the Flimpsons.
wishbone is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 10:32 AM
  #815  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I just heard Pat Buchanan on MSNBC say that the new political force emerging in the country is a combination of populist-conservative.
There's nothing new about it.
dork is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 10:36 AM
  #816  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,946
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by dork View Post
There's nothing new about it.
There's also nothing new about Pat Buchanan fantasizing about it.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 10:40 AM
  #817  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Good point.
dork is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 10:41 AM
  #818  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,842
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by dork View Post
There's nothing new about it.
I think the group has gotten progressive, though. Why, just the other day I was walking by the Republican HQ wearing an Obama t-shirt and a number of gentlemen ran out -- all eager to "teabag" me. Bipartisanship at it's most sexy!
Groucho is offline  
Old 01-25-10, 11:30 PM
  #819  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,772
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Glenn Beck placed 2nd on the Favorite TV Personality poll by Harris Interactive. Here's the Top 10 list:

1. Oprah Winfrey
2. Glenn Beck
3. Jay Leno *
4. Ellen DeGeneres
5. Hugh Laurie
6. Jon Stewart
7. Charlie Sheen
8. Mark Harmon
9. David Letterman
10. Bill O'Reilly

* = Poll was conducted before the NBC mess

Beck ranks #1 amongst:

Matures (64+)
Republicans
Independents
Conservatives
Midwest

http://news.harrisinteractive.com/pr...&Category=1777
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 01-25-10, 11:36 PM
  #820  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Wow the top 3 there would be on my top 10 least favorite. Actually probably 5 of them would be.
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 01-26-10, 12:29 AM
  #821  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Ouch. I think Obama would have rather made that list that win a silly little Nobel thingamajigger.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 01-26-10, 02:20 AM
  #822  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Cool that Hugh Laurie is that high. I had no idea that Ellen's show was big enough to rank her so high.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 01-26-10, 08:36 AM
  #823  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,159
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Charlie Sheen at #7? Really?
Bandoman is offline  
Old 01-26-10, 09:18 AM
  #824  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,842
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

I'm most surprised by Mark Harmon. I thought he peaked with Summer School.
Groucho is offline  
Old 01-26-10, 09:24 AM
  #825  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chuckd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,699
Re: Glenn Beck is an idiot

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Glenn Beck placed 2nd on the Favorite TV Personality poll by Harris Interactive. Here's the Top 10 list:

1. Oprah Winfrey
2. Glenn Beck
3. Jay Leno *
4. Ellen DeGeneres
5. Hugh Laurie
6. Jon Stewart
7. Charlie Sheen
8. Mark Harmon
9. David Letterman
10. Bill O'Reilly
So a Nazi, a show stealer, a lesbian, a wife beater and several adulterers.
chuckd21 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.