Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Who will be the next VP of the US? "Veepstakes" part II

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Who will be the next VP of the US? "Veepstakes" part II

Old 08-29-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
caught NBC Nightly News tonight

The top story was Palin being selected for VP and lasted 7 minutes. then they gave a few minutes to Obama's supposedly historic speech last night with a few shots of Palin in between.
Old 08-29-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...I'm kinda seeing a McCain/Palin administration as having some mismatched buddy-cop action movie potential, sort of in a Tommy Lee Jones/Sandra Bullock way. I could see them getting trapped beneath deck on an aircraft carrier taken over by terrorists, and they have to thwart the terrorists plans, while cracking one-liners along the way.......
Old 08-29-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Yeah I'd like to compare his cardiovascular health with Bill Clinton's when he entered office. Those Big Macs took their toll.
I'm pretty sure he was just getting coffee when he stopped by Mickey Dees while jogging

also, GWB looked 15-20 years younger when he started office. and for someone who sleeps 10+ hours a day, that's pretty bad
Old 08-29-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson View Post
I'm pretty sure he was just getting coffee when he stopped by Mickey Dees while jogging
Yeah that wasn't for show or anything. His flabby, pasty white thighs revealed how much of a gym rat he really was. His quadruple bypass surgery did as well.
also, GWB looked 15-20 years younger when he started office. and for someone who sleeps 10+ hours a day, that's pretty bad
They've both aged horribly, imo.
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-29-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J View Post
Great line by Howard Fineman just now: "Palin makes Obama look like John Adams."
At some point they may want to remember the race is with McCain. My own opinion is that it looks weak to set up comparisons of your Pres to the oppositions VP. Don't know that I can ever recall that in a previous election.
Old 08-29-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this is one interesting race
Old 08-29-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

The Greenpeace people would rush to the aid of a caribou that was shot by a hunter. I laughed at first, but then it was kind of sad.

I learned a little later, they were just regular folks. I liked them. We went to the bar and had a few - quite a few. Maybe that was their plan - get us so drunk we couldn't hunt caribou any longer.

I figured that caribou cost me about $200.00 per lb.
Old 08-29-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Yeah that wasn't for show or anything. His flabby, pasty white thighs revealed how much of a gym rat he really was. His quadruple bypass surgery did as well.

They've both aged horribly, imo.
totally for show, I agree. His booty jogging shorts didn't help, though.

i think Clinton aged slightly better then W, but some people just age at different paces, so maybe it's just that. Bush Sr. skydives and is more active than most people here.

I'm wondering why US Senate (or State Senate) or Governor or even mayor isn't enough of a qualification is such a big deal. It's not like they're making all the decisions themselves. Bush wasn't anywhere near qualified to be President, but I don't remember that being such an issue. I guess it's the whole "he started it" thing between the parties that is responsible for the ping pong match that is this thread.
Old 08-29-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My only posted criticism of Obama's pick was that it was a safe pick and further deflated his message of change/being different. I certainly can't say that of McCain, although it's too early to say if it's a good pick. I like what I've heard so far, but I'm also thinking of names like Quayle and Ferraro.

I don't get the talking point that this VP selection was a mistake because it means the GOP can't go after Obama on experience now. If McCain can get some good shots in on the issue, retorts about his VP having less experience than Obama aren't going to be effective. If anything seeing pundits/partisans attack her on that front only flame the issue for Obama.
Old 08-29-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if this is going to help or hurt both. I was going back and forth between thinking Obama is going to barely win this, to thinking he'll win this by the '92/'96 margins. After McCain's VP selection, I'm thinking he'll either barely win or barely lose.
Old 08-29-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
At some point they may want to remember the race is with McCain. My own opinion is that it looks weak to set up comparisons of your Pres to the oppositions VP. Don't know that I can ever recall that in a previous election.
Obama has already clearly shown that, judgment-wise and intelligence-wise, McCain makes Obama look like John Adams. That's already been covered. You're reaching, dude. Plus, it was a joke. Here's another for you.
Old 08-29-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm wondering why US Senate (or State Senate) or Governor or even mayor isn't enough of a qualification is such a big deal. It's not like they're making all the decisions themselves. Bush wasn't anywhere near qualified to be President, but I don't remember that being such an issue. I guess it's the whole "he started it" thing between the parties that is responsible for the ping pong match that is this thread.
Agreed. The experience thing doesn't mean a lot to me.
Old 08-29-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
What percentage of American voters knew who Palin was (and by "knew" I mean more than "I might have heard her name mentionned once or twice") before she was nominated. I'm curious.
Old 08-29-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
What percentage of American voters knew who Palin was (and by "knew" I mean more than "I might have heard her name mentionned once or twice") before she was nominated. I'm curious.
I'm sure most of the posters in this thread were intimate with her State and City policy history.
Old 08-29-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watch it buster or I'll give you a Shawinigan Handshake.

Old 08-29-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J View Post
Obama has already clearly shown that, judgment-wise and intelligence-wise, McCain makes Obama look like John Adams. That's already been covered. You're reaching, dude. Plus, it was a joke. Here's another for you.

Thanks for the smiley. Hopefully you understand I'm not mocking you or anything, but just enjoying the conversation.
Old 08-29-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The pace of this thread is staggering. We'd be 5 pages back if McCain picked a dude.
Old 08-29-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

i think Clinton aged slightly better then W, but some people just age at different paces, so maybe it's just that. Bush Sr. skydives and is more active than most people here.

I thought Clinton aged far better. He went serious gray, but other than that he held up really well. I think he looks like he has aged far worse in the past 8 yeras than when he was president. Being the Senator's husband may be a tougher job.

Bush has surprised me with how much he has aged considering how laid back he seems to be. He looks much worse before/after than Clinton did, imo.
Old 08-29-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
Watch it buster or I'll give you a Shawinigan Handshake.

It's a relevant question and my guess would be not many. Which is why I have a hard time comprehending arguments that this pick will make the race closer or vice-versa. Or are people just going to go "woooo she's an outdoorsy woman with 5 kids" so I'm voting for that awesome ticket!
Old 08-29-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Had no clue. Wouldn't even have recognized the name as one I had ever heard. I would say it is true of 90%. But for the people who actually decide races and don't pay attention most of the time, we didn't know who Dick Cheney was either. Hell, we barely knew Gore when Clinton chose him. No idea who the first Bush was....
Old 08-29-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

It's a relevant question and my guess would be not many. Which is why I have a hard time comprehending arguments that this pick will make the race closer or vice-versa. Or are people just going to go "woooo she's an outdoorsy woman with 5 kids" so I'm voting for that awesome ticket!

It's called "The Obama Effect" even though it doesn't apply to race in this situation.
Old 08-29-08, 07:59 PM
Admin

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts
Closing for length.

Part III: Here