Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Talk of impeachment again...

Old 07-25-08, 09:33 AM

Talk of impeachment again...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EWS07/80725027

Committee hearing will discuss presidential limits, possibly impeachment

By TODD SPANGLER • FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF • July 25, 2008

WASHINGTON -- The House Judiciary Committee is getting ready to hold a hearing on the constitutional limits of the presidency, where several speakers -- including former presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich -- could make the case for impeachment.
Advertisement

One question though is whether that word will even be mentioned outright. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has said impeachment is off the table, even if some Democrats argue President Bush's record violates the limits of his authority.

Kucinich has introduced an impeachment resolution but an advance copy of his testimony didn't even mention the word, saying he only hoped the committee would act.

Kucinich has said Bush lied to the nation in the walkup to the Iraq War.

The hearing today -- billed as an examination of what, if anything, should be done about perceived violations of law by the Bush administration puts the committee's chairman, Detroit Democrat John Conyers, in a difficult spot.

This just started on CSPAN for those interested in hearing it. Does anyone really think this is going to go anywhere? What's the point? Just seems like rank partisanship at a time when congress has less than 10% approval rating.
Old 07-25-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We should just have a ceremonial impeachment every cycle to go along with the "lame duck" phase.
Old 07-25-08, 10:15 AM

They are still working through the opening statements and so far it's been mostly the same/expected rhetoric from the appropriate side
Old 07-25-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

1. It's too late for 'real' impeachment.

2. I can't think of anything more stupid for the Democrats to do.
Old 07-25-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Impeaching an outgoing president is among the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.
Old 07-25-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Impeaching an outgoing president is among the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.
They aren't trying to impeach Bush. They're giving Kucinich a soapbox to rant, after which they'll do absolutely nothing -- you know, exactly what they've been doing since they took over Congress.
Old 07-25-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Democrats never fail to shock me with their stupidity. This sort of nonsense can only hurt them.
Old 07-25-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
They aren't trying to impeach Bush. They're giving Kucinich a soapbox to rant, after which they'll do absolutely nothing -- you know, exactly what they've been doing since they took over Congress.
They're probably not serious, but the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee has brought up the impeachment thing more than once.
Old 07-25-08, 01:00 PM

If they stuck to the original purpose of the hearing (talking about executive power and how that relates to congress) that actually could have been a very useful and informative hearing. The entire thing has been conducted in the context of impeachment though (despite the chairman's assurances that that's not the purpose) and has just been more of the same partisanship that one comes to expect these days. To give you an idea of the rhetoric one of the witnesses testifying is talking about how Bush should be charged w/ murder.
Old 07-25-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

stupid- it's not like W did something really bad like get blown.
Old 07-25-08, 01:32 PM
Admin-Thanos

They're not going to impeach Bush. This sounds like a slow news day.
Old 07-25-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

And people wonder why Congress has a lower approval rating than the president. Actually.. I think few wonder. They know exactly why. Things like this.
Old 07-25-08, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
And people wonder why Congress has a lower approval rating than the president. Actually.. I think few wonder. They know exactly why. Things like this.
Yet unseating an incumbent is harder than getting a date with a Victoria's Secret model.
Old 07-25-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There must be something deeply wrong with me, because "unseating the incumbent" sounds absolutely filthy.
Old 07-25-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

I wonder if there is an individual congressman in any district or state with a lower approval rating than George W. Bush?
Old 07-25-08, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Yet unseating an incumbent is harder than getting a date with a Victoria's Secret model.
Not if the incumbent is a Republican. I do agree mostly with what you're saying. And that does concern me. If the public is so pissed at Congress(and justifiably so), then why are so many of its members likely to be reelected in November?
Old 07-25-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh.

This impeachment thing used to be taken seriously. Thanks Republicans.
Old 07-25-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh, I love my congressman, I just hate everybody elses. That is the usual answer given to this statement....

Old 07-25-08, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
If the public is so pissed at Congress(and justifiably so), then why are so many of its members likely to be reelected in November?
People feel frustrated at the voting booths because there are very few outstanding candidates from either side that people really want in office, so they're left voting for the lesser of both evils, so in the end it's still loser politicians who get into office. And since these Congress people curry favor with special interest groups and big businesses they can get a lot of financial backing that keeps them in the limelight all during the campaign.

Good luck to the poor, honest politicians who want to serve this county and not their own self-interests.
Old 07-25-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have news for the Democrats in Congress: why waste taxpayer dollars on this fiasco when you already have a popular Presidential candidate in Senator Barack Obama?
Old 07-25-08, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by RayChuang
I have news for the Democrats in Congress: why waste taxpayer dollars on this fiasco when you already have a popular Presidential candidate in Senator Barack Obama?
I read somewhere that $40 million was spent to impeach Clinton, and only $15 million was spent on the 9/11 Commission report. Your news should address politicians and not just dems.
Old 07-25-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These guys should be in charge of the impeachment.

DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Four peace activists were arrested on Friday as they attempted to make a "citizens arrest" of Karl Rove, who was one of President George W. Bush's top aides before leaving the administration last year.

"It should be Karl Rove in that van. War Criminal!" one of a dozen protestors shouted as the four were put into a police van outside a Des Moines country club where Rove spoke at a private state Republican party fundraiser.

Chet Guinn, a retired Methodist Minister, was among those led away.

"To be silent when major crimes are being committed against all humanity makes us accomplices," Gwinn told reporters just before his prearranged arrest, which took place when protestors stepped past a gate.
Old 07-25-08, 11:57 PM

If Congress had made a serious effort to impeach Dubya, instead of putting it "off the table," their approval ratings would be considerably higher.

It isn't "partisanship" that's made Congress unpopular but their relentless passivity. (FISA, anyone?)
Old 07-26-08, 12:46 AM

This guy is going in a different direction...it still won't change a thing, but it shows who is in control.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oAoPbXojRlA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oAoPbXojRlA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-26-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nemein
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EWS07/80725027

This just started on CSPAN for those interested in hearing it. Does anyone really think this is going to go anywhere? What's the point? Just seems like rank partisanship at a time when congress has less than 10% approval rating.
Apparently, Democrats have nothing else to do. Pathetic.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.