Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Threat of world Aids pandemic among heterosexuals is over, report admits

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-09-08, 09:21 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ts-842478.html

You can read the original article up there, I want to post James Taranto's commentary.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1213...+the+Web+Today

Oh, well, never mind! Anyone old enough to remember the 1980s will recall that America was subjected to a heterosexual AIDS scare. As Time magazine reported in 1985:

By early this year, most Americans had become aware of AIDS, conscious of a trickle of news about a disease that was threatening homosexuals and drug addicts. AIDS, the experts said, was spreading rapidly. The number of cases was increasing geometrically, doubling every ten months, and the threat to heterosexuals appeared to be growing. But it was the shocking news two weeks ago of Actor Rock Hudson's illness that finally catapulted AIDS out of the closet, transforming it overnight from someone else's problem, a "gay plague," to a cause of international alarm. AIDS was suddenly a front-page disease, the lead item on the evening news and a frequent topic on TV talk shows.
Two years later, "How Heterosexuals Are Coping With AIDS" was the topic of a Time cover story:

At first AIDS seemed an affliction of drug addicts and especially of homosexuals, a "gay disease." No longer. The numbers as yet are small, but AIDS is a growing threat to the heterosexual population. Straight men and women in some cases do not believe it, in some cases do not want to believe it. But barring the development of a vaccine, swingers of all persuasions may sooner or later be faced with the reality of a new era of sexual caution and restraint.
Now perhaps it is true that the AIDS scare bred "sexual caution and restraint." It did strike us on reading this passage that the word swingers sounds awfully quaint.

In 1991, basketball star Earvin "Magic" Johnson announced that he was infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. The following year, a Time cover declared: "Losing the Battle: Mysterious Non-HIV Cases Emerge. The Search for a Cure Stalls. Infection Among Women Grows."

And then . . . the AIDS scare fizzled out. Treatments improved; Magic Johnson reportedly has not contracted full-blown AIDS, nearly 17 years after his HIV diagnosis. The disease did not spread to the general population in America--or, as WHO now acknowledges, in most of the rest of the world.

A search of Time covers turns up only three dealing with AIDS since 1992: one in 1996 on Johnson's brief return to the NBA; another that same year on AIDS researcher David Ho, Time's Man of the Year; and one in 2001, on AIDS in Africa. (We don't mean to single out Time, which happens to be one of the few news sources with comprehensive archives available on the Web.)

None of this is to gainsay concern over AIDS in Africa, which is a genuine catastrophe. But the dire warnings of the 1980s that everyone was at risk from AIDS turned out to be false. Those warnings made for more gripping journalism, of course, and they also served certain ideological interests. Social conservatives, who believed sex outside marriage was wrong, were able to argue that it was dangerous as well. (To be fair, it is, but not nearly as much so as the late-'80s AIDS reportage would have had us believe.)

Gay-rights advocates, meanwhile, overcame a huge threat to their cause. Without the heterosexual AIDS scare, it is unlikely that homosexuality would have achieved the degree of public acceptance it has since the 1980s. Indeed, gays might have found themselves abandoned by liberals, who today tend to value hygiene over individual freedom (and if you don't believe us, try walking into a gay bar in New York City and lighting a cigarette).

The AIDS epidemic that wasn't is one reason we are skeptical of global warmism, another purported cataclysm that is supposedly just around the corner, that is purportedly based on science but about which one may not ask questions, and that dovetails conveniently with pre-existing ideological agendas.

Ten or 20 years hence, will we be reading articles about the U.N. admitting that global warming wasn't all it was cracked up to be? Let's hope so.
But the press will never admit they were wrong, they will have moved on to some other "crisis."
Old 06-09-08, 09:25 PM
X
Administrator

I've been waiting days for the Independent's story to be posted just so I could laugh at the epidemiologist's name.

When I first read it I had to check that it wasn't from The Onion or something.
Old 06-09-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The leaps of logic involved here are...staggering, if nothing else. How do you suppose, as Taranto casually notes, "treatments improved?" The incredible public attention to AIDS raised an incredible amount of research cash, which in turn led to better, more effective treatment. The AIDS catastrophe in Africa and India only reinforces this point.
Old 06-10-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by wewantflair
The leaps of logic involved here are...staggering, if nothing else. How do you suppose, as Taranto casually notes, "treatments improved?" The incredible public attention to AIDS raised an incredible amount of research cash, which in turn led to better, more effective treatment. The AIDS catastrophe in Africa and India only reinforces this point.
Well, as long as it is just over in Africa and India, we don't need to worry about it over here. I will now focus my attention to the outrageous mistreatment of
Old 06-10-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by James Taranto
Indeed, gays might have found themselves abandoned by liberals, who today tend to value hygiene over individual freedom (and if you don't believe us, try walking into a gay bar in New York City and lighting a cigarette).
While simplistic, this was funny.

Originally Posted by wewantflair
I guess we wasted all those billions of dollars that went to AIDS research.

Is it possible the reason there's no AIDS "epidemic" in America (read: "hard-working, heterosexual, white America") is that we've focused so much into research and education? Everyone pretty much knows HIV is only transmitted in very specific ways, those most common being through intercourse and blood

So, we had a threat, we worked to overcome or contain it* and now we've succeeded. How is this "media hysteria"?

Originally Posted by JT
A search of Time covers turns up only three dealing with AIDS since 1992: one in 1996 on Johnson's brief return to the NBA; another that same year on AIDS researcher David Ho, Time's Man of the Year; and one in 2001, on AIDS in Africa. (We don't mean to single out Time, which happens to be one of the few news sources with comprehensive archives available on the Web.)
Time.com search for AIDS: Your search for "AIDS" found 20,925 results

I like how if it's not on the cover it's not really talked about. What a buffoon.

* See orangecrush18's post
Old 06-10-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I've been using condoms all these years for nothing!
Old 06-10-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sweet. We're well on our way back to free love.
Old 06-10-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
And I've been using condoms all these years for nothing!
Don't forget about the clap. It will be respected.
Old 06-10-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Don't forget about the clap. It will be respected.
Honestly, I'd be more afraid of getting the herps. NO ONE wants to have sex with a herpified weiner.
Old 06-10-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Honestly, I'd be more afraid of getting the herps. NO ONE wants to have sex with a herpified weiner.
I thought Herpes was a gay disease?
Old 06-10-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred
I thought Herpes was a gay disease?
Only about 10% of them.
Old 06-10-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Isn't Jessica Alba supposed to have herpes?
Old 06-10-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Everyone pretty much knows HIV is only transmitted in very specific ways, those most common being through intercourse and blood.
And even then, when transmitted heterosexually it's most often because of the combination of the two.
Spoiler:
ie: anal sex or sex during "that time"
Old 06-10-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Spoiler:
ie: anal sex or sex during "that time"
Wow, I thought I understood menstruation. I obviously don't.
Old 06-12-08, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Isn't Jessica Alba supposed to have herpes?
No, she has Cash Warren.