Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rachel Ray: Secret Muslim

Old 05-28-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rachel Ray: Secret Muslim

Rachael Ray ad pulled as pundit sees terror link
Malkin claimed scarf similar to those worn by murderous Islamic extremists

Dunkin' Donuts pulled a television spot featuring talk show host and Food Network personality Rachael Ray this weekend after a Fox news commentator associated it with terrorists.

In the ad, Ray is wearing a scarf that Michelle Malkin said in her nationally syndicated column resembled a kiffiyeh, Middle Eastern garb that is "popularized by Yasser Arafat and a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos."

Dunkin's Senior Vice President for Communications Margie Myers issued a statement saying the scarf "was selected by a stylist for the advertising shoot. Absolutely no symbolism was intended.

"However, as of this past weekend, we are no longer using the online ad because the possibility of misperception detracted from its original intention to promote our iced coffee."

In her column, Malkin also noted that it could appear at times that actor Colin Farrell, rapper Kanye West and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean have been photographed in similar scarves that were "distinctive hate couture."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24860437/

Remember when people like Malkin used to rant about political correctness? Now they're the ones practicing it.

Personally, I think the only way you see Ray's scarf as a kiffyeh is if you're a paranoid whack-job who sees Muslim terrorists lurking behind every bush.
Old 05-28-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Dunkin' Donuts' actual objection wasn't that Rachael was wearing a kiffiyeh, it's that she spilled kefir on it.
Old 05-28-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Michelle Malkin is the terrorist of common sense.

Seriously, what the ad agencies need to do, is do a really bad job of penciling out the inappropriate scarf, and air the ad anyway. People will ask why such a weird ad. Then Dunkin' Donuts can place a two-page spread in the Sunday paper of the WST, NYT, and LAT about why they did what they did, and why the Michelle Malkin's of the world are absolute nutballs.

Somebody hire me as an ad consultant. I'll make Michelle Malkin so tense and irritated, her eyes will become round.
Old 05-28-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Personally, I think the only way you see Ray's scarf as a kiffyeh is if you're a paranoid whack-job who sees Muslim terrorists lurking behind every bush.
Old 05-28-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I can't think of a Dunkin' Donuts commercial without thinking of Hervé Villechaize ordering a dozen and when asked what kind says "The Plain, The Plain!".

Oh and I think we should burn Rachel Ray for being the obvious witch she is.
Old 05-28-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But she is a sexy witch.
Old 05-28-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny, considering both her and Obama have ties to Oprah. Did you know Oprah backwards is Harpo? And Muslim backwards is Milsum? Obama would be Amabo. Harpo Milsum Amabo. I suppose some will overlook the conspiracy and call these things coincidental.
Old 05-28-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Here she is licking this spoon the same way Muslim terrorists do. The signs are obvious.

Old 05-28-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Funny, considering both her and Obama have ties to Oprah. Did you know Oprah backwards is Harpo? And Muslim backwards is Milsum? Obama would be Amabo. Harpo Milsum Amabo. I suppose some will overlook the conspiracy and call these things coincidental.
Coming from a guy whose name backwards is "Nospmis Roht?" I don't think so.
Old 05-28-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dork
I think Dunkin' Donuts' actual objection wasn't that Rachael was wearing a kiffiyeh, it's that she spilled kefir on it.
How am I supposed to pretend I never want to see that ad again?
Old 05-28-08, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

Misleading thread title. I thought "Secret Muslim" was a new recipe
Old 05-28-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-28-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think this recipe is halal.

This Sharia court imposes the penalty of a severe spanking.
Old 05-28-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What's new about that pic. Looks like the one in the OP's post. Only with more fucking popups, mind you.
Old 05-28-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That pic of her licking the chocolate is either a photoshop or a realllllly long time ago.
Old 05-28-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, the humanity! Gawker has pointed out that Senator McCain's daughter Meghan has also worn a "keffiyeh." Which is to say, a black and white scraf that is not a keffiyeh, but if it's good enough for Malkin when it comes to Rachel Ray ...
Old 05-28-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by crazyronin
I don't think this recipe is halal.

This Sharia court imposes the penalty of a severe spanking.
Hold on you Infidel, I have to issue my Fatwa first.

All donuts be praised. I hereby decree any sexy hot woman who uses a donut and wears a scarf...thingie...will be severely spanked. Praise the donuts. All praise her donuts.
Old 05-28-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dork
Old 05-28-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

WTF is that.
Old 05-28-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The cover art for Vampire Weekend's album. Dork was referencing it.
Old 05-28-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
What's new about that pic. Looks like the one in the OP's post. Only with more fucking popups, mind you.
Sorry. I didn't see a pic in the OP, must be my ad blocker. I also didn't see any popups.
Old 05-28-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
That pic of her licking the chocolate is either a photoshop or a realllllly long time ago.
Yeah, it was an old FHM spread. story here. Relevant bit at the end.
Old 05-28-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Oh, the humanity! Gawker has pointed out that Senator McCain's daughter Meghan has also worn a "keffiyeh." Which is to say, a black and white scraf that is not a keffiyeh, but if it's good enough for Malkin when it comes to Rachel Ray ...
It was good enough for Malkin when it comes to McCain's daughter too. Which you would've known had you bothered to read the Malkin column instead of relying on an MSNBC story and "Gawker" (whoever that is) to tell you what she said.

Three years ago, pop singer Ricky Martin donned a traditional red-checked keffiyeh with the phrase “Jerusalem is ours” inscribed in Arabic. Apologizing for his obliviousness, Martin said: “I had no idea that the kaffiyeh scarf presented to me contained language referring to Jerusalem, and I apologize to anyone who might think I was endorsing its message.” Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez, Spain’s Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, and Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean, and Hollywood darlings Colin Farrell, Sienna Miller, and Kirsten Dunst, and rapper Kanye West have all been photographed in endless variations on the distinctive hate couture. So has Meghan McCain, daughter of the GOP presidential candidate, who really ought to know better given that her dad positions himself as the candidate best equipped to “confront the transcendent challenge of our time: the threat of radical Islamic terrorism.”
Edit: Malkin has a link to the "Gawker" post in the column.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-28-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wmansir
Sorry. I didn't see a pic in the OP, must be my ad blocker. I also didn't see any popups.
I guess that Kiffiyeh you're wearing is blocking your sight. Terrorist!
Old 05-28-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Michelle on Meghan:

So has Meghan McCain, daughter of the GOP presidential candidate, who really ought to know better given that her dad positions himself as the candidate best equipped to “confront the transcendent challenge of our time: the threat of radical Islamic terrorism.”
Michelle on Rachael:

The keffiyeh, for the clueless, is the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad. Popularized by Yasser Arafat and a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos, the apparel has been mainstreamed by both ignorant (and not-so-ignorant) fashion designers, celebrities, and left-wing icons.
Guess she forgot to mention that great enlightened info when speaking about McCain's daughter.

And then Michelle writes:

It’s refreshing to see an American company show sensitivity to the concerns of Americans opposed to Islamic jihad and its apologists. Too many of them bend over backwards in the direction of anti-American political correctness. Naturally, liberal commentators on the Internet are now up in arms over Dunkin Donut’s decision to yank the ad and mock anyone who expresses concern over the keffiyeh’s symbolism.

It’s just a scarf, the clueless keffiyeh-wearers scoff. Would they say the same of fashion designers who marketed modified Klan-style hoods in Burberry plaid as the next big thing? Fashion statements may seem insignificant, but when they lead to the mainstreaming of violence—unintentionally or not–they matter. Ignorance is no longer an excuse. In post-9/11 America, vigilance must never go out of style.
What's next? Shoes? Shirts? White towels? Black towels? How about black towels with red lettering? How about white towels with black lettering?

Michelle used to be tack-on with regards to topics, but she's become an insane in the membrane extreme right terrorist wannabe discoverer.

If you're reading this Michelle, respond.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-28-08 at 09:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.